Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

grimey
Topic Author

Why Is There A Higher Price For One Way?

Thu Aug 18, 2005 5:07 am

I was just looking for flights on LH and after clicking around a few flights I noticed that one way is more expensive then return, about four times more expensive. I know AF also do this but why do airlines do this?

And is there anywhere I can get one way tickets for cheap?

Grimey

Leskova

RE: Why Is There A Higher Price For One Way?

Thu Aug 18, 2005 5:15 am

LH has cheap oneways on a domestic flights - but on everything else, it's the standard "If you want flexibility (i.e. oneway), you'll have to pay for it" method.

Those oneways are basically either Y full fare tickets or C full fare, in other words allowing either very cheap or free rebookings and allowing cancellations at low or no charges.

Regards,
Frank
Smile - it confuses people!

BDKLEZ

Thu Aug 18, 2005 5:16 am

Simple answer is that the majority of peploe who would purchase a one-way fare would be business travellers. It's more expensive because the ticket will incorporate a much greater degree of flexibility in it than a standard el cheapo return would. If however you only want a one-way, then pick a day for a return journey and book a return. However, make sure you fulfil all the requirements in order to qualify for a cheap return. ie min stay Sat night maybe, max stay 14 days etc. Just read T's & C's on the web before commiting! Cheeky, but hey there you go!
Trespassers will be shot; survivors will be shot again!

grimey
Topic Author

Sun Aug 21, 2005 10:05 pm

Cheers lads for your replies, I'm planning a trip to China next year and it starts in Bejing and ends up in Shanghi I'm also planning to go to Hong Kong. I was wondering if I could get a ticket from DUB - PEK and my return ticket to be HKG - DUB for a reasonable price because I can get a return ticket from DUB to either PEK or HKG for around 700 or 800 euro but the one way is about 3,000 euro. Would I be better going to a travel agent or contact the airlines directly because their websites may not be able to do my sort of travel plan?

Grimey

planesailing

Sun Aug 21, 2005 10:10 pm

Quoting Grimey (Reply 3):
Cheers lads for your replies, I'm planning a trip to China next year and it starts in Bejing and ends up in Shanghi I'm also planning to go to Hong Kong. I was wondering if I could get a ticket from DUB - PEK and my return ticket to be HKG - DUB for a reasonable price because I can get a return ticket from DUB to either PEK or HKG for around 700 or 800 euro but the one way is about 3,000 euro. Would I be better going to a travel agent or contact the airlines directly because their websites may not be able to do my sort of travel plan?

Could you not get an internal flight from you last destination to your original arrival point, therefore making use of a return ticket? An internal one way ticket is going to be a hell of a lot cheaper than a long haul one way ticket.

SA7700

Sun Aug 21, 2005 10:20 pm

Quoting Grimey (Reply 3):

Purchase an airline fare class that allows open jaws, thus allowing you to fly into PEK and out of HKG. You will then only have to look for the cheapest o/w between PEK and HKG.

Rgds

SA7700

[Edited 2005-08-21 15:24:49]
When you are doing stuff that nobody has done before, there is no manual – Kevin McCloud (Grand Designs)

grimey
Topic Author

Sun Aug 21, 2005 10:20 pm

Quoting Planesailing (Reply 4):
Could you not get an internal flight from you last destination to your original arrival point, therefore making use of a return ticket? An internal one way ticket is going to be a hell of a lot cheaper than a long haul one way ticket.

Yeh I looked at Dragonair which I'll fly from SHA - HKG for about 300 euro and fly HKG - PEK for another 300 euro. the only problem is that the flight times are real early from PEK - DUB and I was just thinking it just might be easier to fly out of HKG.

Grimey

ExPedia

Mon Aug 22, 2005 1:56 am

The biggest reason that one ways are often more expensive than round-trip is because the carriers can get away with it. They have traditionally used advance purchase and a Saturday-stay as a method to filter leisure pax from business pax, wanting to ensure price competitiveness and maximum profit in the various and divergent markets. However, this is rapidly becoming a thing of the past in many geographies, as one-way fares that are mixed-and-matched on the fly become commonplace.

Also, depending on how advanced the carrier is in terms of managing yield and loads, it can be a big pain to manage empty seats - this is certainly the case for charter operators who plan and price everything in advance, including what duration is associated with how many seats on a given flight. You can easily end up with un-sellable one-ways and reduce your yields as a result.
-- ExPedia

comorin

Wed Aug 24, 2005 11:56 am

I just read on flug-revue that SAS has started offering one-way fares which can be combined to form a round trip at equivalent fares. What a traveler-friendly idea!

satx

Wed Aug 24, 2005 12:58 pm

Major online ticket sites such as Orbitz.com and Travelocity.com can also create open-jaw and other types of tickets. Just play around with your favorite online ticketing sites and see what you come up with. Then give a few travel agents a call and see what they can come up with. It's call shopping around, and it's the only way I know of to get the best possible deal.
A300 319 320 321 332 333 388 B727 732 733 735 737 738 739 742 743 744 752 753 763 764 772 77E 77L 773 77W 788 789 C200 700 900 DHC2 DC9 E145 170 175 190 F100 MD81 82 83 87 88 90 | 38 Lines 44 Craft 58 Ports

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos