Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

bartond
Topic Author

DFW International Traffic

Fri Aug 19, 2005 7:25 am

I was just on the DFW airport website and took a look at the international traffic numbers. Wow - Mexicana went from nothing to being the biggest foreign carrier at DFW. They had 985 pax in May and close to 10,000 in June. They were probably the biggest reason that AA's % of international traffic at DFW went from 83% in May to 77% in June. That's quite an impact that Mexicana has made. Good for them.

I also noticed that KE's 744's have filled up nicely for the past two months. May's flights averaged about 308 pax and June's flights averaged about 355 or so, compared to an average of about 220 for their normal 772 flight into/out of DFW. Good for them.

FYI.

commavia

RE: DFW International Traffic

Fri Aug 19, 2005 7:40 am

Quoting Bartond (Thread starter):
I also noticed that KE's 744's have filled up nicely for the past two months. May's flights averaged about 308 pax and June's flights averaged about 355 or so, compared to an average of about 220 for their normal 772 flight into/out of DFW. Good for them.

I wish KE would have kept the 744 at DFW, instead of now switching back to 777s.

texdravid

Fri Aug 19, 2005 7:41 am

Quoting Bartond (Thread starter):

Wow, those are good numbers. DFW certainly has problems with attracting new foreign carriers, but KE and LH are great long-time carriers that do very well. So much for those people who said that KE would suffer immensely following DL's dehubbing. KE is going to stay; sorry IAH fans.
Tort reform now. Throw lawyers in jail later.

jtamu97

Fri Aug 19, 2005 8:30 am

Quoting Texdravid (Reply 2):
KE is going to stay; sorry IAH fans.

That's okay, we will let you have that one. We will stick with LH, KLM, BA, Air France, Aero Mexico, Taca, Pakistan and China Airlines for now Big grin. Well it is good to see DFW international traffic building up. I would love to see either DFW or IAH get more carriers to the Pacific/Asian region.
Propeller, we don't need no stinkin propeller

utapao

Fri Aug 19, 2005 8:35 am

MX only flies one normally scheduled flight each day, alternating between DFW and Morelia one night and Zacatecas the next...both returning very early following morning. Their 6 (I believe) DFW-MEX flights are actually codeshares on AA.

The huge majority of their traffic out of DFW is charters, thus the surge in early summer. That seems to be doing really well for them.

Actually, according to the DFW figures, AA enplaned about 30,000 more MOM, so while their lift was up, you're right that their percentage of international enplanements was down.

Glad to see KE, in particular, doing well. Maybe if those numbers are sustained it will eventually attract others.

sawasdee
Sawasdee khrab!

commavia

Fri Aug 19, 2005 8:41 am

Quoting Utapao (Reply 4):
MX only flies one normally scheduled flight each day, alternating between DFW and Morelia one night and Zacatecas the next...both returning very early following morning. Their 6 (I believe) DFW-MEX flights are actually codeshares on AA.

MX is supposed to add scheduled flights to GDL soon, and MEX and CUN after that, IIRC.

Quoting Utapao (Reply 4):
Glad to see KE, in particular, doing well. Maybe if those numbers are sustained it will eventually attract others.

Unfortunately -- DFW is my home airport -- I really don't see too many other opportunities for foreign carriers at DFW, at least in the near future.

The only two airlines that I think could definitely make DFW an economically viable operation are JL and AI. I think JL would have great success with a 3-4x weekly 744 flight NRT-DFW timed to depart NRT between the two AA departures, and to leave DFW after both AA departures. This (DFW-NRT) is a growing market with growing demand, and JL has access to a whole lot more slots at NRT than AA. AI, IMO, could easily fly 3-4x weekly DFW-[some city in Europe...probably CDG]-BOM. The flight would be an easy success, IMO.

Hopefully, with the opening of the beautiful, state-of-the-art new Terminal D at DFW, a few more airlines will give the DFW Metroplex a shot.

aa777jr

Fri Aug 19, 2005 8:42 am

Don't forget AA with LGW x3, FRA x1, ZRH x1, NRT x2, CDG x1, MEX x6, etc.

Quoting Jtamu97 (Reply 3):
I would love to see either DFW or IAH get more carriers to the Pacific/Asian region.

Come on QF! Order those new a/c and fly SYD-DFW!  Smile

Regards.
A liberal is a man who is right most of the time, but he's right too soon.

BigGSFO

Fri Aug 19, 2005 12:19 pm

Quoting Aa777jr (Reply 6):
Come on QF! Order those new a/c and fly SYD-DFW!

Actually isn't there a rumor: QF SYD-AKL-DFW?

MAH4546

Fri Aug 19, 2005 12:23 pm

Quoting BigGSFO (Reply 7):

It was not a rumour. Qantas announced they were going to start SYD-AKL-DFW, but it was canceled.
a.

LOT767-300ER

Fri Aug 19, 2005 12:27 pm

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 8):
It was not a rumour. Qantas announced they were going to start SYD-AKL-DFW, but it was canceled.

Same goes for ORD.

Simply because AA hubs at ORD and DFW, DFW sort of has the long distance version of O'Hareitis through AA. Although thats not saying much if your IND, MKE, STL and you really know what O'Hareitis is  Silly

aa777jr

Fri Aug 19, 2005 12:27 pm

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 8):
but it was canceled

Great scheduling God Mark,

Why sir?
A liberal is a man who is right most of the time, but he's right too soon.

thomasphoto60

Fri Aug 19, 2005 12:33 pm

While not pax services, I have heard that both IAH and DFW are losing MP Cargo Nov 3. Can anyone confirm this?

Thomas
"Show me the Braniffs"

texdravid

Fri Aug 19, 2005 1:03 pm

Quoting Jtamu97 (Reply 3):
That's okay, we will let you have that one. We will stick with LH, KLM, BA, Air France, Aero Mexico, Taca, Pakistan and China Airlines for now

How right you are!! (Unfortunately)
 Sad

flykal

Fri Aug 19, 2005 1:12 pm

Quoting Commavia (Reply 1):
I wish KE would have kept the 744 at DFW, instead of now switching back to 777s.

You will probably notice quite a few "switches" as the B744 and B777 long-haul fleet are now in the process of being upgraded with new F/C/Y interiors. Seven aircraft to be completed by the end of this year (5 B744's).
One doesn't discover new lands without consenting to lose sight of the shore for a very long time

bartond
Topic Author

Fri Aug 19, 2005 1:34 pm

I guess my question is - since the KE pax numbers went up quite well with the increase in capacity (772 to 744) recently, was this just because it's the summer months and the tourist traffic is up, or would the 744 work for more than just a few summer months? It would seem to me like that flight could sustain the pax numbers for more than just May-July but I could be wrong. It seems like whenever I have flown through terminal B at DFW and I look at the people waiting in line for the KE flight that 95% are Asians - so I would think they would be businessmen or folks traveling home to see relatives, and not so much people living in Dallas/Texas/the South and going to Korea, Vietnam, etc. for vacation.

Anyhow, I'm just glad (and hope that) my old airport can keep that flight going strong. What a cool sight to see that big baby blue widebody at DFW.

FlewGSW

Fri Aug 19, 2005 1:40 pm

American Airlines 54 non-stops from DFW on Friday, August 19, 2005
BJX x 2 BZE x 1
CCS x 1 CDG x 1 CUN x 5 CZM x 1
EZE x 1
FRA x 1
GDL x 2 GRU x 2 GUA x 1
LGW x 3 LIM x 1
MEX x 6 MTY x 3
NRT x 2
PVR x 3
SCL x 1 SJD x 3 SJO x 1
YUL x 2 YVR x 4 YYC x 2 YYZ x 4
ZRH x 1

American Eagle 7 non-stops
CUU x 1
GDL x 1
MTY x 2
NAS x 1
SLP x 1
TRC x 1

nisson

Fri Aug 19, 2005 2:27 pm

Hey, landed last evening on the west side of DFW(18R) on an AA flight, passed TERMINAL D, and to my surprise saw a AA 777 aircraft park at one of the GATES in the middle of TERMINAL D. Wondering if testing is going on there now, for the soon to start up of operations there. I suppose it was just a testing going on, because I did not see any loaders or containers around aircraft. CAN ANYONE confirm this as to when AA operations will commence there? Thanks and regards.

[Edited 2005-08-19 07:30:26]

commavia

Fri Aug 19, 2005 8:50 pm

Quoting Nisson (Reply 16):
Wondering if testing is going on there now, for the soon to start up of operations there. I suppose it was just a testing going on, because I did not see any loaders or containers around aircraft.

It's testing. They're fitting the gates -- AA still isn't in D and probably won't be for a while still.

saigonhouston

Sat Aug 20, 2005 12:01 am

sorry IAH fans.

No problem....Mexicana is just another small bird that flew in/out DFW. Houston is a lot bigger than Dallas and still have more opportunity to growth. So, once we got something at IAH...it gotta be big bird and widebody.

Quoting Texdravid (Reply 12):
How right you are!! (Unfortunately)

What if India Airline decided to pick IAH over DFW? I guest IAH will be more fortunate than DFW people.

drerx7

Sat Aug 20, 2005 12:18 am

sorry IAH fans

Ding ding ding--a.netters know what time it is  box 
 duck   fight  DFW vs. IAH

I'll let DFW have KE--much to my chagrin though.
 eyebrow 
HOUSTON, TEXAS

jtamu97

Sat Aug 20, 2005 12:23 am

Quoting Drerx7 (Reply 19):
Ding ding ding--a.netters know what time it is
DFW vs. IAH

rotfl  I was not going to say that, but I think it is inevitable.

Later,
J
Propeller, we don't need no stinkin propeller

AAtakeMeAway

Sat Aug 20, 2005 12:32 am

Quoting Saigonhouston (Reply 18):
Houston is a lot bigger than Dallas and still have more opportunity to growth.

When referring to city size, you're correct. Referring to MSA population sizes (which to me seems more applicable when discussing airports) the DFW area is # 5 in the USA and the Houston area is #8 in the USA.
But that's not to say the IAH is much more fun to spot in and will probably always have more foreign flag carriers than DFW.

[Edited 2005-08-19 17:34:24]

bartond
Topic Author

Sat Aug 20, 2005 12:35 am

Notice it is being started by IAH people - typical.

Saigon - notice we were talking about KE, not MX. Seriously, if you're going to stir the pot, at least know what we're talking about before chiming in.

This is a DFW thread about solid summer international traffic growth. No need for Houston people to jump in and start the idiotic bickering back and forth.

drerx7

Sat Aug 20, 2005 12:38 am

Quoting Bartond (Reply 22):
Notice it is being started by IAH people - typical.

Wrong......

KE is going to stay; sorry IAH fans

rotfl 
HOUSTON, TEXAS

saigonhouston

Sat Aug 20, 2005 12:43 am

Quoting Bartond (Reply 22):
This is a DFW thread about solid summer international traffic growth

Here are IAH solid growth for the first six months. Since we are still growing with our summer schedule and passengers so our numbers are not ready to shout out yet.

====================
HOUSTON – If traffic increases for the first six months of this year are any indication of what’s to come for the nation’s 4th largest airport system, Houston Airport System (HAS) passenger traffic will grow by four million passengers in 2005.

With the year only half over, nearly two million more passengers passed through HAS (1.84 million more travelers compared to January-June 2004). Accounting for this impressive rise in passenger traffic were increases in both domestic and international travel, with international travel getting a healthy boost from direct services to Asia that recently celebrated their first year of operation from Houston.

Pakistan International Airlines inaugurated direct service between Houston and Lahore-Karachi in May of last year, and this year in June registered an increase in passenger traffic of 11.2 percent, compared to the same month in 2004. China Airlines’ Houston – Taipei service, inaugurated on June 2004, registered four times more passengers for the month of June this year than they had last year.

Overall international passenger traffic at HAS increased by 9.5 percent in June compared to the same month last year – year-to-date, international passenger traffic for the Airport System is up 14 percent. Other international airlines that registered significant increases for June ’05 compared June ’04 included Continental Airlines, with a 10.8 percent increase in passenger traffic to and from Central and South America; British Airways, with a 22.1 percent increase in passenger traffic to and from Europe; and Aviacsa, with a 55.7 percent increase in passenger traffic to and from Mexico.

Domestic passenger traffic at Houston’s airports also grew in June, compared to the same timeframe in ’04, with an 11 percent increase for the month and a 10.8 percent rise YTD.
# # #
The Houston Airport System served more than 44 million travelers in 2004. It is the 4th largest multi-airport system in the nation, the 6th largest in the world and the 7th-largest international passenger gateway in the U.S. For more information, visit www.houstonairportsystem.org

bartond
Topic Author

Sat Aug 20, 2005 2:13 am

Drerx - I think you're wrong, pal. Thomasphoto was stating that KE is probably going to stay at DFW instead of go to IAH, like you all think and hope will happen. Pretty simple. Thomasphoto is always the first one to point out that IAH has much more international traffic and always will.

Saigon - here's an idea: Why don't you start an IAH thread and post all the international traffic stuff on that thread? We're just discussing DFW's traffic on this thread - no need to try so hard to get everyone worked up on DFW vs. IAH.

drerx7

Sat Aug 20, 2005 2:28 am

Quoting Bartond (Reply 25):
Drerx - I think you're wrong, pal. Thomasphoto was stating that KE is probably going to stay at DFW instead of go to IAH, like you all think and hope will happen. Pretty simple. Thomasphoto is always the first one to point out that IAH has much more international traffic and always will.

Sound a little green if you ask me...what's wrong with stating facts?  eyebrow   biggrin 

Quoting Drerx7 (Reply 23):
KE is going to stay; sorry IAH fans

This was the post that started this round--then you came in to backup for your DFW homies--like you should--DFW won the Korean round--touche DFW fans touche.
HOUSTON, TEXAS

bartond
Topic Author

Sat Aug 20, 2005 4:19 am

No matter how you twist it, there's no "round" to be had. That's the point. Sorry.

drerx7

Sat Aug 20, 2005 4:23 am

Guess your right...the statistics speak for themselves  Wink
HOUSTON, TEXAS

thomasphoto60

Sat Aug 20, 2005 7:00 am

Quoting Bartond (Reply 25):

Bartond,

I don't believe that I ever stated that IAH will always have more int'l traffic than DFW and if I did it was probably in jest. Frankly, at this point it's a crap shoot between DFW and IAH. Look at what IAH has lost this year alone.

AC Mainline
JM
KX looks to be on the chopping block
MP Cargo (if the rumors are true, both DFW and IAH are losing this service, Nov 3rd)

If memory serves, back in the 50s, 60s and early 70s, SFO was the busiest int'l airport for the West Coast and now LAX is the clear leader (please correct me if I am wrong 'Angelenos'), so things do change. As a Houstonian, I certainly hope IAH maintains it's int'l lead but nothing is written in stone, and one day if the boys at HAS are not careful, DFW might just take that lead away.

I do agree that KE will stick with DFW, as DFW has proven a good route for KE. KE dumping DFW for IAH would be like KL dumping IAH for DFW, not very likely to happen.

As for the CMSA stats between Dallas and Houston, indeed the Metroplex outclasses the Houston metro area in sheer numbers. However, Houston's strength, imo, is the overall diverse mix of cultures, races, and religions that now call the Houston/Galveston area home, which in turn helps (stress 'helps') to attract int'l business, some of which is air service.

So, let's bring on AI and MS and EK for '06'.

Thomas

[Edited 2005-08-20 00:02:24]
"Show me the Braniffs"

texdravid

Sat Aug 20, 2005 7:10 am

Thomas,

Another elegant post of high quality. Cheers.

By no means is DFW near IAH in terms of international service. I love IAH in the afternoon with all their foreign tails. The only place in the middle of the country where you can see more different tails is in ORD. If AI is coming to Texas, I presume and predict it will be in IAH, not DFW.

Having said that, there are people who say that KE should go to IAH simply for no reason and leave DFW hanging. KE does well in DFW and has suprisingly strong numbers both in winter and summer. I don't begrudge IAH's foreign tenants for being there, as IAH people shouldn't begrudge KE for using DFW.

As far as I am concerned, there is no "war", DFW has more domestic service and IAH has more international reach.

Let's just enjoy the fact that we both have great airports, unlike PHL or BOS!!

bartond
Topic Author

Sat Aug 20, 2005 7:15 am

True, we've got a PAIR of large and great airports in the state - not many other states can say that.

drerx7

Sat Aug 20, 2005 7:38 am

YEah--Bartond--don't take offense--I'm talking all in jest--these DFW-IAH threads actually are some of the hot topics that don't turn nasty--just a little light humour. You are right--I am chomping at the bit to get that KE744 away from you guys--but it looks like thats a pipedream  worried 
HOUSTON, TEXAS

102IAHexpress

Sat Aug 20, 2005 7:44 am

Quoting Texdravid (Reply 30):
Having said that, there are people who say that KE should go to IAH simply for no reason and leave DFW hanging. KE does well in DFW and has suprisingly strong numbers both in winter and summer. I don't begrudge IAH's foreign tenants for being there, as IAH people shouldn't begrudge KE for using DFW.

I'm not sure if anyone has posted that KE should leave for no good reason, but in any event, there is one good reason for at least considering the move; IAH is a major SkyTeam hub. IAH via CO would offer better connection opertunites to Mexico, the Caribbean, Central and South America than DFW can.

At the very least a tag along service is worth considering.

Gemuser

Sat Aug 20, 2005 9:02 am

Quoting BigGSFO (Reply 7):
Quoting Aa777jr (Reply 6):
Come on QF! Order those new a/c and fly SYD-DFW!

Via AKL did not happen, basically because it offered no advantage over SYD-LAX-DFW.

Actually Aa777jr, the aircraft ARE on order, maybe! IF the A380 totally meets its targets, then DFW-SYD could be economically feasable, IF it is then a daily A380 SYD-DFW is quite likely, to connect into AAs major hub to give one stop service to every city AA serves non stop from DFW. If this flies then a second flight MEL-DFW could follow!

Would you like that? Non stop to the SW Pacific AND A380! Possible, but by no means certain.

Gemuser
DC23468910;B72172273373G73873H74374475275376377L77W;A319 320321332333343;BAe146;C402;DHC6;F27;L188;MD80MD85

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos