Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Candid76
Topic Author

Air Atlanta Europe At It Again

Fri Aug 19, 2005 8:04 pm

Here we go again...

Three 747s based at MAN. The -200, TFABA has left for Tenerife over four hours late. Of the two -300s, one is tech in Sanford and the other is tech in MAN. Of the two Sanford flights, the 1115 departure is showing next info 1530 at present, the 1400 departure is delayed until tomorrow. Meanwhile, Excel have a Thessalonika flight delayed by nearly 33 hours.

All operators have technical problems from time to time, it's a fact of aviation life. However this happens with EUK nearly every week. I wonder how long they will get away with this before someone pulls the plug?

MAAN

RE: Air Atlanta Europe At It Again

Fri Aug 19, 2005 8:10 pm

Yesterday they did an EasyJet, and told 500 pax about to board TF-ABA for SFB to ignore the seat numbers on their boarding cards and just choose any seat.

You can imagine what sort of riot that caused.
Last flight: DFW-LGW/AA/763. Next flight: MAN-CDG/AF/A319.

bmibaby737

Fri Aug 19, 2005 8:27 pm

Hey,

I flew Air Atlanta Europe 747-200 G-BDXJ In February, Gatwick - Sandford £99 return.

We took off on-time and landed for a good time, though the aircraft it self was in bad shape, wires sticking out the floor and I could also see inbetween the outside of the plane and the in-side - covered in silver!

The aircraft G-BDXJ is now waiting to get the chop.

Jimmi

Candid76
Topic Author

Fri Aug 19, 2005 8:36 pm

AFAIK G-BDXJ is now a TV prop at Dunsfold, so although it won't fly, it also won't get the chop just yet. EUK's decision to retire this one, and also to leave TFARF festering at Marana, leaving them with no spare units to cover their fleet, looks extremely questionable to me.

Maybe EAF could lease them a spare 742 on a "pay as you go" basis?

PhilSquares

Fri Aug 19, 2005 8:47 pm

From experience, when you're dealing with Air Atlanta Europe/Icelandic you're dealing with the very bottom of the barrel!!!!

The worst of the worst in every sense of the expression!!!!
Fly fast, live slow

diesel1

Fri Aug 19, 2005 9:04 pm

Quoting Candid76 (Thread starter):
I wonder how long they will get away with this before someone pulls the plug?

Fair comment... but as the parent company now owns Travel City Direct, the main charterer of the 747 for Florida flights, not likely to happen?

Quoting Candid76 (Reply 3):
Maybe EAF could lease them a spare 742 on a "pay as you go" basis?

Do we know if European Air Charter have any spare (operational) 747s, or are they all in use with Corsair currently?
I don't like signatures...

Candid76
Topic Author

Fri Aug 19, 2005 9:14 pm

Quoting Diesel1 (Reply 5):
Do we know if European Air Charter have any spare (operational) 747s, or are they all in use with Corsair currently

As far as I know, BDXE and BDXF are operating for Corsair until early next year, of the other two one is for spares and the other is "between jobs", I don't know what the situation with BDXO in AMS is, but maybe this one is earmarked for Global Spirit? Can anyone in BOH confirm?

Orion737

Fri Aug 19, 2005 9:17 pm

Air Atlanta Europe/Travel City direct, Air Scandic and the lovely Viking, delays anyone??

garpd

Fri Aug 19, 2005 9:21 pm

Quoting BmiBaby737 (Reply 2):
Gatwick - Sandford £99 return.

Thats gotta be a typo!!!  eyepopping 
arpdesign.wordpress.com

Candid76
Topic Author

Fri Aug 19, 2005 9:22 pm

Quoting GARPD (Reply 8):
Thats gotta be a typo!!!

Yes, it is. It's Sanford, not Sandford.

jmc757

Fri Aug 19, 2005 9:23 pm

What can we say, what an operation!

Quoting Orion737 (Reply 7):
Air Atlanta Europe/Travel City direct, Air Scandic and the lovely Viking, delays anyone??

And guess who was the main broker of the Air Scandic flying programme this summer. You guessed it folks... Excel Aviation! Air Atlanta/Excel/Air Scandic/Excel Aviation/Freedom Flights =  banghead  Whatever Air Atlanta and co seem to touch turns to dust!

mozart

Fri Aug 19, 2005 9:26 pm

Never took EUK. Sounds like the new Tower Air to me, though.

MAAN

Fri Aug 19, 2005 11:23 pm

I've just checked my rota for the next couple of days and seen those lovely letters E-U-K staring back at me  Sad

The knock-on effect of the SFB postponement will be felt for a few more days yet as they struggle to clear the backlog. I'm not looking forward to turning up at their check-in tomorrow. You may be reading this thinking "they must be exaggerating" but this is almost a daily occurence - I can't remember the last time I worked on an EUK flight that left on time.

Quoting Diesel1 (Reply 5):
the parent company now owns Travel City Direct

...or as we at ICTS affectionately know them, "Travel Shitty Direct"  Wink

miamix707

Sat Aug 20, 2005 12:19 am

Quoting MAAN (Reply 12):
"Travel Shitty Direct"

I can imagine hearing that in a proper, British accent.  Smile

Which 747 is EUK bringing to SFB today then? It's a 743 so that must be thie only one left that is operating or borrowed at the last minute from Corsair maybe?

If anyone knows about any equipment substitution for the coming days that would be great.

SBE727

Sat Aug 20, 2005 1:32 am

All i will say is that our Tour Op and Airline is very very unhappy with excel aviation at present.

Was told it would be xla op flights, then all changed to air scandic just before the season started.

They had to go with it as it was the only thing available to cover such a programme. And looked what happened, delays week in week out.

Dont think they will be using them for next summer with the poor quality product they provided.

Whats happened to them just recently, come on excel, you use to be a very reputable airline, now, its gone downhill very quickly.

Cheers

SBE727

planesarecool

Sat Aug 20, 2005 2:02 am

Incidently, there was an Excel B737-800 (G-XLAD) at Gatwick yesterday, bound for Hurghada, which aborted take off, causing an Emirates B777-300ER to go around. Went back to the gate, came back out an hour later and took off safely.

Great to see the -300ER go around overhead though! Big grin

Amazingly, both Air Atlanta Europe flights took off on time yesterday from Gatwick.

Orion737

Sat Aug 20, 2005 2:07 am

Delays are nothing new for Air Scandic. Every year since their introduction to the UK charter market, they have had a poor reputation for reliability. Those A300s were always delayed, yet year in, year out they suprise me by coming back.

What tour operators in their right mind are going to by allocations on Air Scandic and risk their customers arriving two days back late for work!!

MAAN

Sat Aug 20, 2005 2:14 am

Believe it or not, Travel City had the bright idea of sending a passenger's bags on their 11.15 departure and the passenger on the 14.00 departure to SFB. It took our security supervisor to point out that the TSA would take away their licence before they changed their minds.

If you needed any further proof that it's a Mickey Mouse operation...

LGW

Sat Aug 20, 2005 2:43 am

Hi all,

The quote (ingnore the poster's spelling mistake) :-

"Gatwick - Sandford £99 return"

Explains why airlines like this keep going, Sabre, Peach Air, Air Ops, Air Scandic, Air Atlanta Europe etc people are willing to pay peanuts and get monkeys so there is always work for the odd airline like this.

In the end most of these type of airlines do cease ops but it is not long until another one appears....

Cheers

Ben Pritchard

Orion737

Sat Aug 20, 2005 3:21 am

Your right Ben. What amazes me is that year upon year Air Scandic suffers chronic delays and reliability yet each year they still manage to get work from tour operators.

ThomasCook

Sat Aug 20, 2005 3:38 am

Hi,

I hear that MyTravel Group has terminated their contract with Excel Aviation/Air Scandic from the end of the season. I think it is already taking affect as Skyservice have been operating the Friday Palma service instead of SCY for the last few weeks out of MAN.

Regards
ThomasCook

Orion737

Sat Aug 20, 2005 3:45 am

Trouble for MYT now though is with no 757/767s in the fleet they are going to have to look at other airlines to provide some capacity during the peak seasons. They wont be able to do all the flying in-house with just the 320/321. Airtours and Aspro will require larger capacity aircraft out of the principal airports.

SCY is one of the few airlines not owned by a tour operator and one which Airtours were able to purchase some extra flights from without supporting a rival charter airline.

Orion737

Sat Aug 20, 2005 10:06 pm

Will Airtouts/Aspro look to more foreign charter airlines to operate their programmes if they are reluctant to use SCY next year?

gkirk

Sat Aug 20, 2005 10:09 pm

Air Scandic are not a bad airline service wise, but some of the delays they are having at STN and EMA primarily don't appear to be very nice. Luckily the airports that see the Finnair 757s i.e. MAN and NCL, are having a decent year punctuality wise.
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

Orion737

Sat Aug 20, 2005 10:12 pm

Its not the first year though that SCY have been dogged by delays. I remember when they had that old Tristar and then later the A300s. Delays were commonplace, yet somehow, tour operators continue to support the airline and take allocations on their aircraft.

This year has been particulalry bad with the Viking MD83 operating out of EMA. All these delays remind me of the good old days in the 80s and Dan Air and their charter delays.

alcregular

Sat Aug 20, 2005 10:13 pm

Do you think Thomson and Thomas Cook will continue with the contract for their long-haul operations with XLA next summer considering the delays they've had? I've been looking at flights to POP from NCL, and they are showing as XLA flights, but would BY or TCX consider bringing one of their own aircraft next summer?
Why drive when you can fly?

gkirk

Sat Aug 20, 2005 10:17 pm

Quoting Alcregular (Reply 25):
Do you think Thomson and Thomas Cook will continue with the contract for their long-haul operations with XLA next summer considering the delays they've had? I've been looking at flights to POP from NCL, and they are showing as XLA flights, but would BY or TCX consider bringing one of their own aircraft next summer?

The Tommie Cook and Thomson passengers have complained to the tour companies about XLA. At the start of the season, the flights operated via MAN, even though the brochures advertised nonstop flights, so complaints poured in. And there have been several long delays, so even more complaints. Yet it seems that Tommie Cook and Thomson will remain with XLA for next summers SFB and POP flights from NCL.

Demoose

Sat Aug 20, 2005 10:19 pm

The thing is, Air Atlanta Europe's 747's have been sat at MAN alot this week, gone tech? Excel had to charter Air Pullmantur the other day to replace one of the EUK 742's which was meant to operate for them. Its a shame to see Excel being dragged down by its new owner as Excel did the impossible and turned Sabre Airways around a few years ago.

Monarch seemed to be having a bad day at MAN yesterday. The Euro-Atlantic L1011 seems to just base itself at MAN waiting for the next charter aircraft to go tech! It has flown for TCX, XLA and MON in the past few days from MAN!

Mark
Take a ride...fly across the sky

Orion737

Sat Aug 20, 2005 10:19 pm

Well By and TCX have the wide bodied aircraft available to consider doing those routes in-house next year. trouble for MYT is that with their constant fleet cutbacks, they have a lack of aircraft and are going to have to use other airlines to operate much of their tour operators programmes.

if they are to avoid giving rival tour operators airlines business, that leaves them at the mercy of airlines like SCY and XLA.

gkirk

Sat Aug 20, 2005 10:21 pm

Quoting Orion737 (Reply 28):
Well By and TCX have the wide bodied aircraft available to consider doing those routes in-house next year.

BY may have, but TCX only have 2 A330s, G-OJMB and OJMC.

Orion737

Sat Aug 20, 2005 10:25 pm

True. I suppose they might consider using a 757 with a stop in Bangor. it could be better received than a very delayed XLA flight.

bmibaby737

Sat Aug 20, 2005 10:26 pm

Quoting Candid76 (Reply 6):
Can anyone in BOH confirm?

Hey,

G-BDXE and G-BDXF are flying for Corsair untill February 2006 like another member stated.

G-BDXO is still out in Amsterdam, I was told they are looking for good engines for it, but I'm not to sure on that one now.

G-BDXG is at Bournemouth with 2 engines on, these 2 have been added in the last few months so maybe a new lease of life, I was told by someone at European that they were trying to get it flying again.

G-BDXH is most likely getting the chop as a big D check is coming up apperently and it's the oldest one in the fleet.

----------

Quoting LGW (Reply 18):
Hi all,

I see no mistake :S

cya

Jimmi

gkirk

Sat Aug 20, 2005 10:32 pm

Quoting BmiBaby737 (Reply 31):
Quoting LGW (Reply 18):
Hi all,

I see no mistake :S

cya

Jimmi

No "d" in Sanford  Wink

TIMC

Sat Aug 20, 2005 10:47 pm

Ha... a group of my friends are going out on Travel City today, they have a five hour delay...

I tried to warn them before they booked, but like they say, you can take a horse to water...

Demoose

Sat Aug 20, 2005 10:51 pm

Makes me laugh when i'm in the terminal and you hear announcements saying "Will any employee or representative of Travel City Direct please come to the information desk"

The whole operation is an absolute joke most of the time.

bmibaby737

Sat Aug 20, 2005 10:53 pm

Hey,

Thanks Gkirk,  Smile

Jimmi

L1011aaron

Sat Aug 20, 2005 11:24 pm

I have travelled with Air Scandic on the one of the A300's two years ago and i can say that i would never consider travelling with them again. We had delays both ways. Although its is a common problem for passengers we were not even told the reasoning for the delay unitl we boarded 3 hours later and were informed it was a technical problem. This sort of thing really annoys me!

In terms of onboard service it is at a similiar acceptable standard as any other charter airline.

ThomasCook

Sun Aug 21, 2005 2:30 am

Hi,

I think MyTravel have a good relationships with Futura and Thomas Cook. The latter is a "priority operator" for MyTravel and MyTravel is Thomas Cook's priority operator so perhaps they will replace SCY with TCX or maybe even SSV. I have noticed that MyTravel Airways are doing quite a bit of flying for Thomas Cook next Summer.

Regards
ThomasCook

Orion737

Sun Aug 21, 2005 2:56 am

Seems fuuny that MyTravel group would want you to book an Airtours holiday and end up putting you on plane of a rival tour operator/airline.

Leezyjet

Sun Aug 21, 2005 2:59 am

Ahh, this brings back memories of the good old days dealing with dodgy charter airlines when I worked at MAN.

We handled Air Atlanta the first year they ever operated out of the UK. They had a 747-100 based at MAN that only used to fly Fri/Sat and Sun, the rest of the time it would sit idle, so sure as shit it would be tech on it's first flight of the week. Is it still a similar operation, or are they flying daily now ?.

Although Caledonian were sometimes not much better, and that was in the days prior to Inspirations and the Peach Air Fiasco - All Charter airlines were pretty much the same in peak summer season for horrendous delays.

Was great back then though as the f/deck used to carry books of tickets around and give them out for free to any staff that fancied a jolly for the day or even a week or two. I got my first 747 j/seat ride from MAN-AGP with them, got off went to duty free and got back on again and had the Upper Deck to myself on the way back.

Also used to handle Nordic (B)East with their dodgy old L10-11 SE-DPX. Was doing that flight one day and had the DeTR inspectors turn up and rip the crew to bits for not performing any kind of security check prior to boarding and the inspectors had been on the a/c earlier in the day and hidden stuff. They then made us manually ID all the bags, which was not fun on a 393 seater bulk loaded Tristar  eyepopping 

Air Atlanta, although not the best airline have a very successful business concept, buying up well maintained old a/c from respectable airlines then leasing them out to anyone who needs them - not many other companies that specialise in that kind of business around and most airlines will need short term extra capacity at some point in time. And they have some  hot  cabin crew too !!!.

Smile
"She Rolls, 45 knots, 90, 135, nose comes up to 20 degrees, she's airborne - She flies, Concorde Flies"

Orion737

Sun Aug 21, 2005 3:13 am

I remember flying an Air Atanta L1011 in the green livery on a flight from Manchester-Palma, yes, we were delayed.

Remember the lovley Air Ops and their Tristars? Fantastic reliability Big grin

Leezyjet

Sun Aug 21, 2005 3:30 am

Ahh yes, Air Ops.......Remember them well too with the dodgy old Hawaiian Air Tristars and some old TWA ones too IIRC !!.

Remember when they had an L10-11 sat on the end of T2 at MAN for months with no engines. Apparently it was for sale for scrap value of £15K !!!.

Those first part green Air Atlanta Tristars were ex Cathay ones, and back then they didn't even bother to re-paint them, just paint out the Cathay titles and stick one of their logo's on the tail and job done !!.

Smile
"She Rolls, 45 knots, 90, 135, nose comes up to 20 degrees, she's airborne - She flies, Concorde Flies"

egmcman

Sun Aug 21, 2005 3:35 am

Quoting Orion737 (Reply 40):
Remember the lovely Air Ops and their Tristars? Fantastic reliability

Yes I flew with them LGW-ALC on SE-DSD an L1011-100 and the tray got stuck and the f/a's had to use a bottle opener to make operable.

I flew back on one of their A300's I remember the f/a's asking were we had been the check in was disorganised.

Interestingly Avion Air Atlanta's owners were looking for flight crews in this weeks Flight International.

Cheers

egmcman

ohthedrama747

Sun Aug 21, 2005 3:40 am

The times we used Travel City Direct have always been smooth sailing...that is until they started using Air Atlanta Europe. The planes were looking kind of worn, old etc...on the way back from SFB to GLA the aircraft went tech for i think 4/5 hours.

Then arriving back in Glasgow the luggage door wouldn't open so we had to wait for the luggage to come out for about an hour. Lot of unhappy Scots that day.

G

ACEregular

Sun Aug 21, 2005 3:46 am

Shame about Air Atlanta, I had a fantastic return flight with them to Kos well back (1997). We were on a Tristar and although any other passenger would have called it a heap of old aircraft parts I was chuffed to be flying on something witha bit more character than an Airbus A320 (charter norm!)

The plane itself was TF-ABV and the crew were actually Peach Air crew but the flight code for the flights was CC and not KGC. I really enjoyed the flight, the crew were fantastic and we had a great Holiday. Seems a lot of people dont say the same of late.

whitehatter

Sun Aug 21, 2005 3:53 am

It's the price wars.

Everyone wants good holidays for bugger all money, and the lowcosts are nipping into the IT operators for some of the bread and butter packages. So flights have to be cheap and cheerful.

There are still some quality operators out there like Thomsonfly/BY, First Choice etc but nowadays it's all about cost.

Anyone remember Airtours in their early days? Aviaco DC-8s and the like? Convair Coronados on a Saturday evening? The cheap, second-hand charter aircraft are nothing new! After all how many people went on their package holidays on a Comet 4. Strangely enough those Comets were probably some of the most robust aircraft that ever flew IT operations.

This year Air Atlanta in all its divisions has been hammered with business like never before, and hopefully they will stick some of their profits into the fleet over the low season. Those 747-312 aircraft doing the Travelcity ops just don't seem to be coping well at all. Time for some newer Snowbirds.
Lead me not into temptation, I can find my own way there...

Orion737

Sun Aug 21, 2005 3:55 am

Its arguabule that ThomsonFly remain a quality charter operator. Their 762s are about knackered and their in-flight service is now no-frills, pay for meals, and all extra cut back.

Demoose

Sun Aug 21, 2005 4:05 am

Orion, we all know you are a champion of charter airlines from the golden days however I think its unfair to single out ThomsonFly as being much worse than any other charter airline about these days, granted they don't have new A330's or PTV's for longhaul. However, pretty much every charter airline is charging for meals and extra legroom. I think its still suprising that you even have the option to book a meal on a short haul charter flight at a time when airlines such as British Airways are cutting back meal services to an absolute minimum (granted this week you wouldn't have even had you're deli box!).

Still, most charter airlines are much of a muchness these days and people's opinion tends to stem from personal experience of the cabin crew on their flight and if they were delayed or not. Only recently have we seen First Choice break the mould and introduce their upgraded long haul product, others should take note. It makes TCY/EUK look even worse and I don't see how people who are still spending a hefty amount of money for a holiday in florida will tolerate the poor service and delays that seem to occur frequently.

Mark

ACEregular

Sun Aug 21, 2005 4:17 am

Demoose, I think MyTravel have performed a great u-turn in that they give all passngers a meal now, and its won awards for its innovative way in which it is presented. They in my opinon surpassed the stricken BY ages ago.

Orion737

Sun Aug 21, 2005 4:42 am

I agree, the move to reinstate meals for all passengers was a good move for MYT. Its amazing that MYT whoes holidays are often seen as a step down from TUI/Thomsons are now providing a superior in-flight product, while ThomsonFly levies a £15 charge for a meal as of next year!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos