Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

TLHFLA
Topic Author

Thinking Of Buying A NW Ticket, Risky?

Mon Aug 22, 2005 1:56 am

I am sure the NW strike has been discussed to death over the past few days, but I wanted to get opinions on this. I am going to be flying from ATL-DTW in mid-September and I normally fly Delta, but NW is $100 cheaper. I have no clue if the strike will be resolved by then, but that is a significant savings. I hate to pay $100 more for a 2 hour flight. This is also my first time flying to DTW and I have said it before, but there is only one way to fly to DTW...

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Nicholas A Vollaro

Of course that is if these are in the air and not on the ground!
Bill in ATL

EddieDude

RE: Thinking Of Buying A NW Ticket, Risky?

Mon Aug 22, 2005 3:40 am

Two days before the strike began, I bought a MEX-DTW-LGA/JFK-DTW-MEX ticket for November with full knowledge of the labor situation that NW is going through. The reason for buying a NW ticket instead of a non-stop MEX-JFK-MEX AM ticket was also a substantial difference in price (U.S.$433.00 all taxes and charges included). I am confident that by November the current situation will have been resolved. I am very happy that I was able to find such a good price and I am eager to flying NW for the first time.

Now, September is closer than November, and I don't know if the mechanics' strike will be resolved by then (and, most important, if the same will disrupt your flight or not). Maybe it would be a good idea for you to read at DL's website the announcement regarding DL's assistance to NW passengers. Hope I was of help.
Upcoming flights:
April/May: AM MEX-SCL 788 (J), AM EZE-MEX 789 (J).

NWAFA

Mon Aug 22, 2005 3:41 am

Your going to be just fine flying on NWA!
THANK YOU FOR FLYING NORTHWEST AIRLINES, WE TRULY APPRECIATE YOUR BUSINESS!

ual747den

Mon Aug 22, 2005 3:48 am

Don't give them a dime! The longer we buy NW the longer they will last. Their MX are a bunch of babies that have ruined the airline. Lets help this POS goes down before anymore pax are effected, sooner the better. Get those people into McDonalds and gas stations and at least we will get better service there.....
Frontier Airlines - Low Fares Done Right

S12PPL

Mon Aug 22, 2005 3:48 am

Are you really thinking of buying a ticket on NW? Or are you just trying to stirthepot ??
Next Flights: 12/31 AS804 PDX-MCO 2/3 AS19 MCO-SEA QX2545 SEA-PDX

atrude777

Mon Aug 22, 2005 4:07 am

I bought a ticket on NWA with the full knowdlegde of the upcoming strike. again NWA was the cheapest as well..

$179 r/t for STL-DTW-BWI-DTW-STL. In late September.

I get an Avro, A320, 757 and a DC-9 all in this trip, no other airline offers a better mix of fleets  Smile.

Alex
Good things come to those who wait, better things come to those who go AFTER it!

Jano

Mon Aug 22, 2005 4:14 am

I have TYS-VIE for early October and am about to buy another TYS-VIE for December. I'm NW silver and soon to ge gold, I have flown NW exclusively in last 5 years and will keep flying them....

[Edited 2005-08-21 21:28:03]
The Widget Air Line :)

isitsafenow

Mon Aug 22, 2005 4:37 am

I have a pair of round-trips booked on NW. One starting 9-13(maybe chancey) and the other 10-06. I booked two others on other carriers...9-1 and 9-22 just in case. I am booking on NW or DL for a trip to GSO in late Oct. The times will tell which way I go carrier wise, not labor. Price is close to the same so that's not a factor. I also need to book to SDF but I'm not sure of the date on that one...Oct something.
safe
If two people agree on EVERYTHING, then one isn't necessary.

NWAFA

Mon Aug 22, 2005 4:40 am

UAL747DEN

That could be said so true about three years in BANKRUPTCY - let United DIE. They deserve it! (no I dont feel that), but with you saying what you did is the same thing, Let United Die, they deserve it!

ExPedia

Mon Aug 22, 2005 4:40 am

Be sure to book it via credit card. That way if they do go under, you may have recourse from the card issuer.
-- ExPedia

isitsafenow

Mon Aug 22, 2005 5:14 am

I have a pair of round-trips booked on NW. One starting 9-13(maybe chancey) and the other 10-06. I booked two others on other carriers...9-1 and 9-22 just in case. I am booking on NW or DL for a trip to GSO in late Oct. The times will tell which way I go carrier wise, not labor. Price is close to the same so that's not a factor. I also need to book to SDF but I'm not sure of the date on that one...Oct something.
safe
If two people agree on EVERYTHING, then one isn't necessary.

777Purser

Mon Aug 22, 2005 5:23 am

NW is the cheapest simply because people won't book on them....because of the strike. $100 does not seem like too much money for me to avoid hassle. Book someone else. Then again we all have different perceptions of what is a lot no not so much money. I will pay and go on someone that will get me there safe and on time...God knows how safe those planes are this days. How much is your life worth?

LO231

Mon Aug 22, 2005 5:25 am

Quoting UAL747DEN (Reply 3):

That's a nasty thing to say. And, after flying all the American majors, you just persuaided me to NEVER fly United.

Just shows what kind of staff they have (or just an rotten apple).

I'm appaled.

Regards,
LO231

BTW. I nave have received a better US domestic service than on NW...... And I'm used to European and Asian carriers.

Jeez
Got both LO 788 frames already, next LO E95 and 734 BRU-WAW-BRU

NWAFA

Mon Aug 22, 2005 5:26 am

I must disagree with you. I truly believe the a/c are and will be safe. Safety is number one in everyone's eyes at NWA. That I believe in. As stated above I trust our Pilots would NEVER take an a/c out that was not safe.

LO231

Mon Aug 22, 2005 5:42 am

Quoting 777PURSER (Reply 11):

Safety is the most important thing to EVERY airline. What are the FAA rules for, you think?

I feel very safe on any of the NW's DC9s.

And guess what... As a travel agent with travel experience, I'd send my customers happily with NW's 333s via AMS or CO's 764s direct to the States above shabby 767s of DL or UA any day.

And we do have a say. Just an advice to the customer, you know.

Peace.

LO231

777Purser

Mon Aug 22, 2005 5:56 am

Quoting NWAFA (Reply 13):
I must disagree with you. I truly believe the a/c are and will be safe. Safety is number one in everyone's eyes at NWA. That I believe in. As stated above I trust our Pilots would NEVER take an a/c out that was not safe.

You are right...I had to take that into consideration, so I apologize,

I do trust pilolts and FA's wont fly a plane that is not functioning properly. If the "replacement" (SCAB) mechanics cannot fix it...just refuse to fly it. Way to go. But I was just telling that passenger that difficulties can be encountered.

Additionaly, I want NW to feel the crunch so go back to the table, stop trining SCAB MX and FA's and stop getting fat bonuses.

AirWest

Mon Aug 22, 2005 6:02 am

Quoting UAL747DEN (Reply 3):
Don't give them a dime! The longer we buy NW the longer they will last. Their MX are a bunch of babies that have ruined the airline. Lets help this POS goes down before anymore pax are effected, sooner the better. Get those people into McDonalds and gas stations and at least we will get better service there.....

Whoa, that might be one one of the most insensitive comments I have ever heard. Did you have a bad experience on NW? Is that why you want 45,000 employees to lose their jobs?

Zach
"And now I wish I was somewhere other than here"- JB

JBLUA320

Mon Aug 22, 2005 6:09 am

I just booked myself on a NW flight for December and didn't think twice about it. I fly NW frequently and have always been treated with respect. I see no reason to avoid flying NW.

JBLU

jetdeltamsy

Mon Aug 22, 2005 6:30 am

I'd go with another airline. $100 will seem like a small price to pay if you end up stuck somewhere on Northwest. Give Northwest time to get things smoothed out before you start risking your travel plans.

The friendly folks at Delta would appreciate your business!
Tired of airline bankruptcies....EA/PA/TW and finally DL.

LO231

Mon Aug 22, 2005 6:42 am

Quoting Jetdeltamsy (Reply 18):
I'd go with another airline. $100 will seem like a small price to pay if you end up stuck somewhere on Northwest. Give Northwest time to get things smoothed out before you start risking your travel plans.

The friendly folks at Delta would appreciate your business!

So you're pretty much secured if they would go out of business, not?

Usually, the partners take the passengers...

Besides, Delta is not in a better shape, hey.

I'd pay NW, and if they don't fly, Delta or Continental will take care of you. Or not?

Regards,
LO231

PS. My bets are still on NW though. DL or UA would go first.

TLHFLA
Topic Author

Mon Aug 22, 2005 10:29 am

No my travel plans are up in the air, so the fares may change by the time I actually book my tickets. As far as safety is concerned, I don't fear that NW is unsafe. I just wouldn't want my plans cancelled if the strike got to the point that their flight schedules are affected. All things equal, I typically fly Delta since I wind up flying all over the country with my job and since they fly almost everywhere from ATL. However, I wouldn't mind flying on a DC-9 and I would like to see the new terminal at DTW, which I could do with NW.
Bill in ATL

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos