Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ke086
Topic Author

Bad Turbulence Stories

Mon Aug 22, 2005 5:39 pm

About a year ago i was on a flight from Guatemala to JFK non-stop on TACA A320. Anyways the begining of the flight it was all good then out of nowhere my plane flung upward for what felt like a minute or so but it felt so weird then when we got out of that we dropped what felt like 100 feeet or so. i remember people screaming and crying and even a flight attendant cryed. so here is a question why would the pilot continue the flight after something like that?
KE THE ONLY WAY TO FLY

ua777222

RE: Bad Turbulence Stories

Mon Aug 22, 2005 5:42 pm

As it is weather realted there was nothing the crew could do. The aircraft was safe, the F/A's reported no injuries, therefor there is no reason to return to the nearest feild. Weather is probably the only thing a pilot can't fully train for as it is unexpected, always changing, and only rarely helpful.

Take care,

Matt
"It wasn't raining when Noah built the ark."

trekster

Mon Aug 22, 2005 5:47 pm

Planes are built to withstand it. If there is nothing wrong with the plane, and allthe passengers are unhurt (thoughr scared whitless) there is no reason to land the plane and divert. Just from the top of my memory i can name 1 case where BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD turbulence occured and the plane came out of it.

There was a 74 frieghter that hid such bad turbulance a engine pylon flew off just after take off. Plane circled back and made a safe landing.

And can u recall the plane that dived so badly from clear air turbalnce the wings were permantly bent up, and alot of leading edge flaps and stuff were missing, i belive even some of the gear stuts were warped.

My experience so far has been a A330 of USairways from PHL. Night time takeoff. Windy, rainey etc etc. Had only been a little bumpy up to that point. I was over the wing in a window seat, so was lot looking outside (I know the wing can bend far, but its not right looking at it flapping out there)
Capt came on to say Service was about to begin as ATC had said we were out of the worst of it. But he would leave us seated with the sign on for a little while longer. No longer than 3 seconds later we fell and rose sharply. I just laied back listening to some music on the IFE with my eyes closed riding it out. Hit one bump very sharply that threw us down and left, popped open a overhead locker. Nothing in it, but a bit scary. Then we came out of it.

Dan
Where does the time go???

ke086
Topic Author

Mon Aug 22, 2005 6:03 pm

I have another question I fly Korean air all the time from INC to JFK and I have always noticed that the flight is usually smooth until we just pass Japan is it that the plane is entering the jetstream or is it just a coincidence?
KE THE ONLY WAY TO FLY

Glareskin

Mon Aug 22, 2005 6:10 pm

Quoting Trekster (Reply 2):
Just from the top of my memory i can name 1 case where BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD turbulence occured and the plane came out of it.

Actually there is at least 1 occasion where the plane didn't come out of it. I remember a case where a Fokker near Moerdijk, Netherlands hit some really bad wheather and crashed because a wing broke off......

http://www.airdisaster.com/cgi-bin/v...?date=10061981®=PH-CHI&airline=NLM
There's still a long way to go before all the alliances deserve a star...

Ready4Pushback

Mon Aug 22, 2005 7:41 pm

The worst turbulence I've ever encountered was over the atlantic - always from west to east the turbulence seems to be really bad. There is a jetstream there that the airlines take advantage of and I think it creates a very bumpy ride.

Last time I flew it was the worst - February this year. To make matters worse it was in a 744 and i was in the middle set of seats. I HATE not having a window seat, but my partner likes to be sitting by the isle, so I had no choice (I don't like 744s any more!). I have never felt turbulence like it. I have flown alot in my life, and I never get scared or anything (in fact I've always quite liked it!), but that was the worst it's ever been, and i have to admit even I was wondering if we were going to get out of it.

Toulouse

Mon Aug 22, 2005 8:10 pm

I remember flying a couple of years ago from DUB to MAD just after Christmas on an Aer Lingus B.737-400. Weather was windy in Dublin and before take off the pilot did warn us that we would experience some rather strong turbulence during our initial climb. Well, we took of easterly (I usually take off westerly from Dub) so we were straight out over the coast very quickly looking down on an unfriendly grey and choppy Irish sea. Well about a minute or two after take off, still below the clouds, the pilot reduced the aircrafts power notably and we levelled out very quickly and suddenly the wind hit us... wow... it was as if the wind was just throwing us from side to side, and slighly up and down. You could even hear the wind. This continued for about ten minutes while flying at very low level over the Irish sea, then things got better, and se started climbing again, through the clouds into a friendlier (looking) blue sky and the remainder of the flight to Madrid was perfect. I remember a very tanned Spanish girl sitting beside me went very pale...
Long live Aer Lingus!

unitedgirlie

Mon Aug 22, 2005 8:38 pm

we had terrible turbulence when we left JFK. There was very low thick cloud as it had been raining on and off all day and we seemed to get into the clloud almost as soon as we were off the ground. At this point the whole aircraft started juddering and having read stories about crashes many report juddering so I was getting a little ever so scared.

We carried on climbing and my husband who know all about this was explaining we were going out oer the sea and the change in weather etc etc but we juddered for ages and went up and down a few times whilst still climbing at which point the pilot told us we were almost over it and apologised for a bumpy start.

I just dont turbulence these days very well seems to be getting worse as I get older, is this something to do with the way we handle such feelings as we get older or is it due to being a mum and having a higher fear factor level that it isnt just my life that depends on such things but 4 children as well?

my husband got me over the turbulence going there and stopped my tears about it by reminding me new york was our dream and we were on our way etc....and yep he was a bit buggered coming back having no nice things to say about going home!!

spacecadet

Mon Aug 22, 2005 9:13 pm

Quoting KE086 (Reply 3):
I have another question I fly Korean air all the time from INC to JFK and I have always noticed that the flight is usually smooth until we just pass Japan is it that the plane is entering the jetstream or is it just a coincidence?

It's probably coincidence if it's over the water.

Whenever I fly to or from Japan, we always hit mountain wave turbulence over Alaska. It's often pretty bad, almost always the seat belt sign comes on, in pretty much the exact same spot. It lasts a good long time, too - probably about 300-400 miles worth.

The point being over land, there can definitely be spots where you'll hit turbulence more often than not, because the air is being disturbed by objects on the ground (like mountains). Over water, it's not really so predictable, because all there is is the weather and weather will be different every time (one flight you might pass through a warm or cold front, which will be turbulent, but the next time you might not).

But, turbulence by itself is not usually dangerous. I hate it - in bad turbulence, I sit there clutching the armrests of my seat and clench my teeth - but I know in my mind that it is exceedingly rare for anything whatsoever bad to happen because of turbulence. It's a lot more likely that passengers would be injured inside the cabin than that anything would actually happen to the airplane.

Even the incident mentioned earlier about the Evergreen 747 that lost an engine in turbulence was not strictly because of the turbulence but because of a fault in the engine pylon. That engine would have come off at some point if it hadn't come off then. The turbulence was just the catalyst, but there was a good reason why one of its engines came off and three of them didn't. Only one of the pylons was faulty.

So, you should worry more about stuff like maintenance than turbulence, and maintenance problems can rear their ugly heads during smooth as well as bumpy flying. But if you're going to worry about that kind of thing at all, you may as well just not even fly.

(Edited to add the word "usually" before "not dangerous" - extreme turbulence can be dangerous but pilots will not fly into that kind of turbulence, and they do have ways of predicting this in advance these days. I would seriously doubt anyone here has flown through extreme turbulence - moderate to heavy, maybe.)

[Edited 2005-08-22 14:24:14]

[Edited 2005-08-22 14:25:14]
I'm tired of being a wanna-be league bowler. I wanna be a league bowler!

litz

Mon Aug 22, 2005 9:55 pm

Quoting Ready4Pushback (Reply 5):
Quoting Trekster (Reply 2):
Just from the top of my memory i can name 1 case where BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD turbulence occured and the plane came out of it.

Actually there is at least 1 occasion where the plane didn't come out of it. I remember a case where a Fokker near Moerdijk, Netherlands hit some really bad wheather and crashed because a wing broke off......

If I remember correctly, back in the early days of jet service, a 707 also came apart mid-air due to turbulence ... (must have been some serious bumps)

A plane can drop enough to put everone not strapped down airborne inside the cabin and still be totally undamaged. They're designed for it.

The injuries you read about come from people's heads hitting the ceiling (neck/back injuries), or other limbs when they come back down (broken arms/legs/ankles/feet). And don't forget beverage carts - they go airborne too, and they're also going to land on something when gravity returns.

I once heard a story from a senior DL MX guy, who was nonrevving on a flight I was on ... captain had mentioned turbulence was coming up, and he was very carefully cinching that seatbelt tight as can be ..

I asked him if he was a nervous flier; he responded no, he worked for DL mx and he'd seen too many cases where he had cleaned sneakerprints off the ceilings of the cabins.

I made sure my seatbelt was real tight, too ...

- litz

BrunoSBGR

Mon Aug 22, 2005 10:14 pm

My father has this story where he was flying on a RG 737-200 BEL-BSB-GRU, and during the first leg, on cruise altitude, the flight encountered so much turbulence that he actually hit his head into the ceiling...and yes, he had his seatbelt on!

He told everybody was screaming and crying...scary stuff!

I've also had very turbulent flights, but never had one that really scared me...I hope I never do, actually.

Happy landings!

BrunoSBGR
Private pilot. Frequent flyer. Aviation geek. Proud of all 3.

comorin

Mon Aug 22, 2005 10:26 pm

Quoting Unitedgirlie (Reply 7):
I just dont turbulence these days very well seems to be getting worse as I get older, is this something to do with the way we handle such feelings as we get older or is it due to being a mum and having a higher fear factor level that it isnt just my life that depends on such things but 4 children as well?

Ive known a few female colleagues who enjoyed flying and didn't care a whit about turbulence - until they became mothers! It really seems to change the internal wiring...

Rushing off to work - will post a part 2 later on....

milan320

Mon Aug 22, 2005 11:22 pm

A few years back I was flying from YEG to MSP with NWA. I think it was December or so. The turbulence was pretty bad. I overheard the FA stating that in 13 years of working as an FA this was the worst she experienced. But there were 2 guys from texas in front of me who had the right attitude. Both were actually wearing cowboy hats and every now and again I could hear them yell: Yee-haw!!!
Quite funny and took the edge off of the bad turbulence. Good attitude I thought. Can't do anything about it as a pax, just have to get through it.

-Milan320
I accept bribes ... :-)

kaneporta1

Tue Aug 23, 2005 12:18 am

There have been a bunch of incidents when aircraft broke up in flight because of turbulence. The BOAC 707 and Braniff 1-11 crashes come on top of my mind.

Worst (or best, depends on how people see it) turbulence experience i've had was on a DL Shuttle 738 MDW-ATL in November 2002. There was a storm front extending from MI all the way down to AL. We tried to go through a couple of times and the turbulence was so sever you could actually hear the airplane bend. We had to fly all the way down to the Gulf of Mexico and then back northeast to ATL. I will never forget the captain coming on the PA with this really cool southern accent, explaining that it would be 'unwise' and 'stupid' to try going through the storm front. The landing was uneventful though, the bad weather hit Atlanta a few hours later.
I'd rather die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather, not terrified and screaming, like his passengers

GLA MD11

Tue Aug 23, 2005 12:50 am

Years ago, there was a story once involving an AF 744 flying back from South Africa to CDG at night. It hit severe turbulence over Africa and had to request emergency landing in Marseille.

It appears that sleeping passengers were thrown crashing into the overhead bins and some of them were injured in the incident. The airframe was OK but the medical condition of some passengers made the pilot decide to land to Marseille (an hour shorter than CDG).

I have been looking for a link to that incident but could not find any (help?).

Also check https://www.airliners.net/discussions...general_aviation/read.main/240429/

777klm

Tue Aug 23, 2005 1:39 am

One year ago, I was on a QF flight from SIN to SYD. We were not allowed to land due to noise restrictions at SYD in the early morning, and because of the high wind we couldn't land at another runway (Sorry don't know the exact runway numbers). When we were allowed to land, we had some realy servere turbulence, with people screaming and crying, it was terrible. After the landing, when we were at the gate, some ambulace staff entered the aircraft to help a person with a head wound. I never want that again!
Home airport: AMS
Next flight: CNX - BKK

OHLHD

Tue Aug 23, 2005 1:57 am

I was on a DL 763 from HNL to LAX when the captian announced that we were heading into a thunderstorm after 2h of flight. H asked the F/A to have a seat and apologized for the inconvience.

3 min later the plane begann to swing and we fell a few hundert feet. A lot of pax were screaming and crying.This lasted for about an hour. It wasn´t so bad for me but most pax really got worried when the cabin was dimmed.

After 1,5 hours aeverything was back to normal and we continued in a smooth flight to LAX.

The only one who did nothave a clue what happend was my father as he was sleeping. Big grin

Most refused to eat after that, and the F/A kept collecting wastebags.

usnseallt82

Tue Aug 23, 2005 6:46 am

I remember not too long ago experiencing some severe turbulence right off the coast of Texas down by Corpus Christ. I was flying a T-6 Texan out of NAS Pensacola and we were just screwing around with some of the T-34's down there at the NAS. This area usually isn't too bad for turbulence, but this day had harsh dry winds blowing south off the plains and into the Gulf of Mexico. Once they hit the cooler water temp and humidity, they began to churn in a cyclical pattern, before any thunderstorms developed. We went right through the middle of this damn thing and lost about a 1000 ft. before we realized exactly what happened. The impact was so hard that it felt like we lost the engine, but then realized that everything was running fine.

Anyway, something I hope not to ever experience again. Fortunately, the T-6 is a relatively high performance aircraft and held its ground. I'd hate to see any CE-172's or aircraft of the sort come through something like that.

Oh well, cheers!  Big grin
Crye me a river

comorin

Tue Aug 23, 2005 7:25 am

Quoting Unitedgirlie (Reply 7):

Part 2-

I've been through many a turbulent flight in the last 30+ years ,but looking back, nothing that ended up spilling a drink...

What happens with 'fear of flying' is pretty normal. There's a part of our brain called the limbic system that contains our primeval thoughts. For example, if you drink too much, that's the part of the brain that takes charge.

In turbulence, I think the fear/terror of falling is what takes over, so it perfectly normal to be scared out of your wits. After a bad jolt, your brain decides that your environment is no longer stable, and you assume that you could free fall any minute.

My fear of flying was triggered when during a landing in a UA 737 at CLE, we suddenly tipped in a gust. I was terrified to fly after that, and would check weather days before flights etc.

I eventually got over it with some help. The trick is to let your rational mind stay in control. We all know that turbulence is not life-threatening, so when you're feeling calm, write this 'mantra' down on a piece of paper, and note that your fears are irrational. If you read this piece of paper when turbulence hits, you'll feel a lot better.

Another angle to this fear is the feeling of loss of control. Remember there is an emotionless computer that is in control of the aircraft, and nothing can happen to you regardless of what comes your way. It's not like the pilots up front are bravely struggling to control the aircraft like a ship in a storm.

In summary, the central idea is that nothing is going to happen to you, the plane is flying itself quite happily, the pilots think of it as just another day in the office, and it's really you that needs to hang on to your rational self.

BTW, I enjoy flying now.

Hope this helps.

SuseJ772

Tue Aug 23, 2005 8:26 am

Just this last May (19th I believe), I was on a DL Connection (FL# 4381) flight from ATL-FWA, in a CR4 and we hit some serious turbulence over KY. I'm only 22, but I have flown over 130,000 miles and I can say by far this was the worst turbulence I have ever experienced. I have no way to classify it or know how much we were increasing/decreasing in altitude, but right at the end of it, the plane descended like crazy (probably a couple of thousand feet) and then leveled out. The pilot came on the intercom 5 minutes later and said we had to make an emergency landing in Evansville due to the fact the turbulence had somehow caused the APU's oil temp to rise too high. We came in fast to Evansville that's for sure, but even at 10 pm they found a mechanic and fixed the bird. We eventually took off right into a thunderstorm (literally lightening on both sides), which caused for a bumpy ride as well, but we made it to FWA eventually.
Currently at PIE, requesting FWA >> >>

Arcano

Tue Aug 23, 2005 12:39 pm

It's funny, the most injured passenger rate attended at SCL are for flights coming from Argentina, specially MDZ and EZE while crossing the Andes and beginning their descend to Santiago.

Las week, several passengers were injured in a LAN 320. I actually experienced heavy turbulence that week returning from CCP to SCL. I must confess I felt scared, I swore the 732 will bend right and lose stability...

Anyway, just fear, I guess

Regards )( ARCANO
in order: 721,146,732,763,722,343,733,320,772,319,752,321,88,83,744,332,100,738, 333, 318, 77W, 78, 773, 380, 73G, 788, 789, 346

Glareskin

Tue Aug 23, 2005 1:24 pm

Quoting OHLHD (Reply 16):
was on a DL 763 from HNL to LAX when the captian announced that we were heading into a thunderstorm after 2h of flight.

Isn't it standard procedure to fly around t-storms? I mean, if the thunderstorm is near the airfield and not looking too bad they just do it, but 2 hours from HNL?

A lot of times I even heard the pilot requesting for alternative altitudes in moderate turbulence...

Is there a pilot on the forum who can help us out here?

NWADC9

Tue Aug 23, 2005 1:35 pm

Ever been through turbulence while sitting in the lav? Not fun, I tell you...
I get paid to convert dead dino juice into noise.

Halophila

Tue Aug 23, 2005 1:58 pm

I was on an Air Inter flight in 1993 CDG-Montpellier on an A320 (one of the original ones which didn't have wingtip fences. The weather was awful with gusty winds. At the gate, the plane was being rocked side-to-side by the cross-winds. We started our T/O roll, and suddenly about 1/3 the way down the runway (I think), the nose jumped in the air, the port wing went towards the ground and we took off one-landing gear at a time (severe crosswinds) - what ensued was terrifying for me (I was 15 at the time); the aircraft immediately corrected to starboard (quite a high angle too), went into a sharp climb, then leveled out somewhat (giving that sinking feeling), then ascended again, hit some kind of air pocket since we seemed to be decending, then ascended again sharply. There were yelps from my fellow passengers, and when the pilot eventually came on the intercom (about 5 mins after takeoff) he said "we're OK" or something to that effect. That incident put quite a bit of 'fear of flying' into me - in fact it wasn't until about 6 years later that I felt somewhat 'relaxed' upon T/O.

Other than that, I've had some pretty hairy turbulence (nothing dangerous I'm sure) between LAX and HNL when the trades are blowing; and on one flight in mid-December travelling on a VS 744 from LAX to LHR. The latter of these was OK from takeoff until we started to head over the desert (near LAS), then it was very scary for 30 - 45 minutes. The plane was buffeted I guess by a tail wind, which resulted in quite a few nasty jolts, resulting in a beverage cart going over in front of me. It was made even worse by someone having some kind of an apoplectic fit in one of the rows behind. I was thinking "wow... they have to land this thing..."

Not being a pilot or connected to the airline industry, I'm sure there was some "exacerbation" of events, and these probably weren't particularly dangerous, however they were worrisome to me!
Flown on A36 310 319 320 321 332 333 343 388 350 707 717 727 732 733 734 735 73G 738 739 741 742 743 744 74SP 757 753 762 763 772 773 77W 787 D10 DC9 M11 M80 M87 CRJ CR7 CR9 CR1000 120 135 145 175 190 146 F28 F50 F70 F100 Tristar

freedomtofly

Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:47 pm

Never been in anything too bad, but what usually helps me is to sit on the front edge of the seat and lift your feet off of the floor. It's actually kinda cool  Smile

~Aaron
You are now free to move about the world.

ekgold

Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:55 pm

Turbulence... just like the rocking motion of the cradle... if not to bad then it is enough to aid in sleep  Embarrassment

if bad enough, then initiates nightmares.....

Palladium

Tue Aug 23, 2005 3:13 pm

I hate turbulence, every single time there's turbulence, the first thing that came to my mind is the plane gonna be ok or not ok, are we gonna fall....shit >.<
I cant stand turbulence

do actually plane can go down and break up or crash cos of turbulence?

eilennaei

Tue Aug 23, 2005 3:46 pm

Quoting Litz (Reply 9):
If I remember correctly, back in the early days of jet service, a 707 also came apart mid-air due to turbulence ... (must have been some serious bumps)

http://www.pilotfriend.com/disasters/911%20crash.htm

AirWillie6475

Tue Aug 23, 2005 3:50 pm

The Pacific in the winter time especially going East, is very bad regarding turbulence. Ever since I encountered Moderate/Sever turbulence over the pacific in the middle of the night going from Japan to Los Angeles, I am not afraid turbulence any more. The huge 747 was literally bouncing up and down, side to side like a little cessna. F/As sat on the floor, service carts were shaking, meal trays and cups were falling from the treys, and people's heads bouncing allover the place. 2nd movie was paused and never finished because the shaking was interfering with the video player. I really made a promise to my father that if we would make it to Los Angeles in one piece we shouldn't fly for a long time. It was very bad because this one lasted for about 45 minutes. After it was over the pilot came on and tried to make a joke but he said that he had never experenced that before. When we touched down at LAX I was very very happy, and passengers were smiling and cheering. I figure if a plane could make it through that much shaking, we shouldn't be woried about turbulence.

NorthstarBoy

Tue Aug 23, 2005 4:02 pm

turbulence used to scare me. it doesn't anymore. the difference? i've realized that there is something out there far worse than a couple of hours of turbulence. like sailing for three days on the open atlantic ocean in forty foot swells, one of which nearly capsized the ship we were on. when contronted with turbulence i just remind myself that there is something out there that is far worse, and everything is okay.

as for my experiences flying through turbulence, i've had many, the most memorable ones are probably an air pocket on Southwest coming into Omaha over the missouri river, (on this same flight we nearly went out 2000 pounds under fueled, boy did i feel like someone was looking over my shoulder that night) there was also my flight from JFK-Casablanca, where the turbulence was so bad we could feel it on the upper deck. i found out later that the reason the flight was so rough, was because we were passing over an area where a warm front and a cold front were colliding from different directions, resulting in very unstable air. all i could do was put my sleep mask on, close my eyes and relax. the other memorable one was flying from Denver to Omaha at night, through the summer thunderboomers common in our part of the world. that was nerveracking, we climbed all the way up to 41000 feet to get out of the clouds. we didn't get out of the turbulence though, it persisted for the entire flight and the only thing that seemed to soothe my nerves was listening to country music (only time i've ever done than on an airplane)

nowadays i just take the attitude that turbulence just comes as part of the package that is airtravel, i smile, relax as much as i can and thank god i didn't eat anything before i got on the airplane. i also realize that two, four, six, or however many hours is a very short period of time and i can put up with anything as long as i know it's not going to last "forever"

Cheers
Yes, I'd like to see airbus go under so Boeing can have their customers!

trekster

Tue Aug 23, 2005 5:23 pm

Sounds silly i know. But i try and combat turbulance in a weird way.

When im travelling on a bus. I close my eyes and think im in a plane, during turbulanece. When i was on the usairways flt, i did the opp, imagined i was in a bus (well, i was in a Airbus lol), closed my eyes and listened to some music. Seemed to settle my stomach, dont know why?
Where does the time go???

Chulalongkorn

Tue Aug 23, 2005 5:23 pm

A couple of years ago on a JAL 747 leaving Narita to San Francisco, about an hour after take off, and the beginning of beverage service, the plane just dropped. I was in the middle section of seats in the next to the last row of the plane, and I could see the plane bending as FAs ran to their seats. Nobody hit the ceiling, but I lost my drink into my lap, and would've been airborne had I not had my seat belt on. The heavy turbulence lasted only a few minutes, but was a quite frightening experience. Made this flight many times, and it's never been that bad.

Is it true that the back of a 747 gets more bounce than over the wings or near the front?

I only notice this on the 747, not on the 777. In my opinion, the 777 seams more stable anywhere on the plane.
"feast like a sultan I do... treasures of flesh never few" - MJK

swabur

Tue Aug 23, 2005 5:43 pm

I like turbulence, it puts me to sleep. We were on approach into LAX three days ago on a Southwest 737-300, I was standing in the front galley just about to take my seat on the jumpseat when the plane just dropped, I rose about a foot in the air and almost hit the ceiling and my co-worker in the back DID hit the ceiling. She had to be taken to the hospital because of neck pain. Come to find out, it was wake turbulence caused by a 747 crossing our path. BTW Southwest F/A's have the highest number of injuries due to turbulence.
C'Mon Mav, do some of that pilot sh**!!

Bridogger6

Tue Aug 23, 2005 6:32 pm

Well I tried flying out to LAS tonight to connect to a redeye to PHL so I could go see the new HP/US livery. Anyway, I knew I was going to miss my connection because of an MX, and I just wanted to get off the plane and go home but they weren't letting the passengers off, so the non-revs of course couldn't get off either. Anyway I ended up going to LAS and coming right back (just got in now). But anyway the take-off on the flight out to LAS tonight was the worst turbulence I have ever experienced. We had a brief monsoon, or what seemed to be small and minor from the plane window... but take-off proved that the air was quite unstable. I am not even close to a nervous flyer, but when people were screaming and crying I have to admit I wanted to wet my pants. The shaking started right after lift off, and we started dropping immediately, it seemed for every 100 feet we gained we lost 200 (extreme exaggeration of course) but there were a couple of times I was sure we were going down and I even had flashbacks. I found out upon getting back to the airport tonight from an HP gate supervisor that around the time my plane finally took off there were 80mph microbursts.. so I guess that explains it. Also, the return flight and especially landing back into PHX was quite a ride but at least I didn't think I was going to die!

Glareskin

Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:22 pm

Quoting Palladium (Reply 26):
do actually plane can go down and break up or crash cos of turbulence?

Quoting Glareskin (Reply 4):

http://www.airdisaster.com/cgi-bin/v...?date=10061981®=PH-CHI&airline=NLM

chrisrad

Tue Aug 23, 2005 11:55 pm

Quoting Chulalongkorn (Reply 31):
Is it true that the back of a 747 gets more bounce than over the wings or near the front?

I would have to agree with you, I have sat at the very back on 747's many times, and the bouncing around and fishtailing is probably the worst I have experienced compared to any other airliner I have travelled on. I could imagine what the A346 is like then.......  crazy 
Welcome aboard Malaysia Airlines! Winner of Best Cabin Staff 2001,2002,2003,2004,2007,2009,2012

ANITIX87

Wed Aug 24, 2005 12:16 am

Quoting Chrisrad (Reply 35):
I would have to agree with you

I don't know how true this is, but it may just be coincidence. It seems to me that planes with winglets tend to get buffered more than planes without. I mean, it makes sense, and it's something I've notices a lot when flying. On the way to LHR and back this summer, the A346 and 744's moved all over the place, although the 744 tended to move more. It has larger winglets, a much larger tail, and the forward part of the fuselage is much higher so crosswinds cannot go around it. So maybe it's not the back that moves more, it's the front, and the lever-like position of the wings and tail makes the back move a lot as well. This may also explain why the 777 feels so much more secure. I don't know. The only thing I've noticed that could refute this statement is that the Avro 146's tend to hit any type of turbulence and bounce around all over the place but this may be because of the square-like tail and the hanging engines at the same level as the fuselage.

TIS
www.stellaryear.com: Canon EOS 50D, Canon EOS 5DMkII, Sigma 50mm 1.4, Canon 24-70 2.8L II, Canon 100mm 2.8L, Canon 100-4

jush

Wed Aug 24, 2005 12:41 am

Well my sis is working for Hapag Fly in Germany and she told me that last sunday or so they were coming back from Italy to DUS. There was a dba (German British Airways) as well and both planes hit such a severe turbulence that in the DBA plane F/a's were injured badly and pax were puking all over the place. Paramedics had to come out in DUS to treat these people. Actually the flight of my sis went better it only scared the hell out of the pax and my sis.
Plane was the A310 of Hapagfly and 737 of DBA.

Scary i think

Quoting Arcano (Reply 20):
It's funny, the most injured passenger rate attended at SCL are for flights coming from Argentina, specially MDZ and EZE while crossing the Andes and beginning their descend to Santiago.

Las week, several passengers were injured in a LAN 320. I actually experienced heavy turbulence that week returning from CCP to SCL. I must confess I felt scared, I swore the 732 will bend right and lose stability...

Anyway, just fear, I guess

Regards )( ARCANO

Well when i fly Gru -SCL with LH A340-600 we had a clean ride... but we the descent was rather interesting with a lot of spoilers but it wasn't bumpy at all... i really appreciate unbumpy flights

[Edited 2005-08-23 17:50:44]
There is one problem with airbus. Though their products are engineering marvels they lack passion, completely.

747luvr

Wed Aug 24, 2005 1:20 am

I've had my share of bumpy rides.....besides my VS15 flight in March LGW to MCO, we dropped and flipped 90 degrees to our right side, then the flight crew dropped the left wing down hard to level out, gunning the throttles up that was scary, about 3 minutes after take off, so only about 3-4 thousand feet altitude, i was scared by that....I remember a few years back flying CLE to FLL on a CO MD-90 on finals we crossed I-95 by the runway, and we dropped the right wing down very sharply where it looked like we'd hit the ground, everyone started to scream, and the crew did the same as the VS pilots, literally dropping the left wing back to level and the main gear smacked down on the runway almost simutaneously. While I, most like others here, love to fly, I don't care for turbulance. My wife and I were flying the first seg on a flight from CLE-IAH on to LAX and the flight path was so turbulant on the 738 the captain took us an hour out of the way out over DFW and then back east to IAH. What a rough ride....thats my 2 cents.  boggled   bouncy 

gman3

Wed Aug 24, 2005 2:18 am

Quoting 747LUVR (Reply 38):
I've had my share of bumpy rides.....besides my VS15 flight in March LGW to MCO, we dropped and flipped 90 degrees to our right side, then the flight crew dropped the left wing down hard to level out, gunning the throttles up that was scary, about 3 minutes after take off, so only about 3-4 thousand feet altitude, i was scared by that....I remember a few years back flying CLE to FLL on a CO MD-90 on finals we crossed I-95 by the runway, and we dropped the right wing down very sharply where it looked like we'd hit the ground, everyone started to scream, and the crew did the same as the VS pilots, literally dropping the left wing back to level and the main gear smacked down on the runway almost simutaneously. While I, most like others here, love to fly, I don't care for turbulance. My wife and I were flying the first seg on a flight from CLE-IAH on to LAX and the flight path was so turbulant on the 738 the captain took us an hour out of the way out over DFW and then back east to IAH. What a rough ride....thats my 2 cents.

I was working a flight from CLT to ORD back in 2001. It was a 737-200. We had just taken off andall of a sudden the plane violently shuddered and the left wing dropped like in theprevious example. We then shot almost straight up. The girl I was working with screamed and grabbed me. A lady in the back row screamed. It turns out that the captain was avoiding a plane that had shown up on his radar. He actually said that the routine was pretty standard. However it scared the living Sh*t out of me!

prok

Wed Aug 24, 2005 2:25 am

Quoting KE086 (Reply 3):

In addition to the other reply:
In the wintertime 2 jetstreams near Japan strengthen eachother which creates a very strong jetstream (up to 300 kt) which can cause severe turbulence.

Quoting Spacecadet (Reply 8):
Even the incident mentioned earlier about the Evergreen 747 that lost an engine in turbulence was not strictly because of the turbulence but because of a fault in the engine pylon.

Did you mean the JAL 747? I can't find anything about an Evergreen 747.

777STL

Wed Aug 24, 2005 3:20 am

I flew RSW-IAH a couple years ago on a CO 738. As we were on final approach we hit some turbulence and the plane started dropping and rising rapidly. Turbulence only bothers me when close to the ground, rather disconcerting when the plane is dropping like a rock and you're close to the ground.

Though I'm sure in reality it was rather routine.
PHX based

drinkstrolley

Wed Aug 24, 2005 3:27 am

Quoting Toulouse (Reply 6):
You could even hear the wind.

Sure about that?

centrair

Wed Aug 24, 2005 9:45 am

1992 ORD-NRT on NW.
Somewhere over Alaska, we hit turbulence for a good 15 minutes. We were shaking and jumping all over the place. I was 17 so I just thought...ooh this is fun.

Ever since then I have made close to 20 Trans-pacific flights and have had turbulence on almost everyone somewhere over Alaska/Siberian Sea. The smoothest was last winter where we just got on the stream and let it take us to the states. NO turbulence which was nice, but ... IFE was not working right.

Sometime in the late 1980s or early 1990s NW LAX-MSP
My father was flying over the rockies and they hit a pocket and the plane (NW DC-10) dropped big time. Then one of the engines blew out. The plane dropped more. The pilot called for emergency landing. My father had been an Air Force Flight Surgeon and had trained with test and fighter pilots. He knew that no matter what panicing is not worth it. His training kicked in after 20 year hiatus and didn't panic. His colleague (next seat) freaked out and started scribbling a letter to his wife. The colleague told us later he didn't understand why my father was so calm. My father just trusted the pilot to do his job. (my mother was defiantly not happy that my father didn't scribble a letter...not my father's character.) They leveled and with everyone in "crash position" made an emergency at Stapleton. From then on my father never flew Northwest and proceeded to call it Northworst Disoriented.

My father sleeps through all turbulence. He then wakes up and asks "hey did we have some turbulence? I took a page from my father and do the same thing with my wife who freaks everytime we have some. I just hold her hand, relax and say everythings fine.

I love rollercoasters. I think I have never been really scared of turbulence. I understand it so I can understand what is happening. Of course if we dropped hundreds of feet I might just pray a little but I trust the plane and the pilots to do their job.

[Edited 2005-08-24 02:51:38]
My name is Centrair but HND is closer. Let's Japanese Aviation!

chrisrad

Wed Aug 24, 2005 10:41 am

Quoting ANITIX87 (Reply 36):
It has larger winglets, a much larger tail, and the forward part of the fuselage is much higher so crosswinds cannot go around it. So maybe it's not the back that moves more, it's the front, and the lever-like position of the wings and tail makes the back move a lot as well

I would say it's definately the back the moves the most in turbulence, don't forget the further away from the center/ balance point of the aircraft you get the worse it is, I recently flew business class on a 744 VS LHR-LAX and the turbulence was very muted, while I'm sure things were flying in the back rows of economy when we entered the jetstream, it was amazing watching the engines wobble around like that, you only hope they won't fly off.
Welcome aboard Malaysia Airlines! Winner of Best Cabin Staff 2001,2002,2003,2004,2007,2009,2012

Bohlman

Wed Aug 24, 2005 1:06 pm

Worst turbulence I ever hit was with me flying. I was on final approach in a simple PA28-160 Warrior II and hit windshear about 20 feet above the runway. We (I was still in my primary flight training at that point, so I had an instructor with me) droppod onto the runway immediately, and I was thrown against the side of the cabin so hard I heard the window creak and I almost dislocated my shoulder (because of the armrest on the left side). Luckily, it was only sprained (or strained, or whatever the doctor said) so I only had to wear it in a sling for a week, and there was no structural damage to either the airplane or my instructor! It sure was an eyeopener though, and a reason I keep a sharp eye out for differences in winds aloft and surface winds, and gust factors.
I'm not pro-Boeing or pro-Airbus, I'm pro-crew all the way.

IslipWN

Wed Aug 24, 2005 1:40 pm

Quoting NWADC9 (Reply 22):
Ever been through turbulence while sitting in the lav? Not fun, I tell you...

Yup!! Song flight 2074 LGA-FLL. We were somewhere out in the Atlantic about 30 minutes away from FLL. I finished the show on my ptv so I finally went to the bathroom. JUST as I started to go, we just clash, almost as if we hit a wall. I was slammed into the wall. I zipped up, ran back to my seat (2A, thank god it was close!) and buckled up. It was almost an empty flight. There was only about 15 people in the front cabin and there was like 5 people in the main cabin. I was never so scared in my entire life! We dropped a couple thousand feet; and I swear to you every single person was either screaming or crying. I admit it, I screamed. The flight attendant got up to pick up some things on the floor that fell from the galley counters fell and hurt her wrist really badly. It was the worst 15 minutes of my life. When we landed the pilot said sorry and explained how there are 3 types of turbulences, regular, moderate, and servere. He said that we hit servere. He even told us that it was his first time flying through severe turbulence.

dc863

Wed Aug 24, 2005 2:20 pm

My worst experience with turbulence has to be June '82 from CLE-JFK on a TWA 707. It was a textbook case of CAT.

Glareskin

Wed Aug 24, 2005 3:14 pm

I've got a few questions for the experts on this forum.

1 In numerous with more than light turbulence occasions I've heard the captain announce that he requested flight control for an alternative altitude. Is there always a turbulence-free altitude? And why aren't they always giving permission? And if this is working how come in a lot of experiences described here in this thread the bad turbulence remains for longer periods?

2 I noticed that almost all the times when an aircraft hits turbulence the pilot or auto-pilot reacts with a nose-down correction. What is the reason for this?

3 Mostly when the air stability is changing the engine noise is changing as well. Is this due to the air or is it a setting?

Thanks in advance for clearing this up.

CX881

Wed Aug 24, 2005 3:23 pm

Hey Guys -
Some of the worst turbulence i have ever felt was shortly after takeoff or shortly after flying over Japan. One time the captain came on and told us that there is a patch of air over Japan that is always extremely turbulent. One time while taking off from Japan in a Northwest 744 on a flight to LA we hit some good turbulence. Enough to make some of the dishes in the galley break. HaHa! But we made it out alive.

I heard that there was a NW 744 that took off in Japan and hit such a big bump that one of the passnegers was injured and they had to make an emergency landing.

CX881
Dan
747-400 - FOREVER THE QUEEN OF THE SKIES!!!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos