Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

B747-4U3
Topic Author

How Do Pax Get To These Gates At LAX?

Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:04 pm

Hi,

I was wondering how passengers get to these gates at LAX. Are they bussed there? or is there an underground train? or terminal concourse?

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=Los+...16&spn=0.003949,0.007308&t=k&hl=en

Thanks for any help

drerx7

RE: How Do Pax Get To These Gates At LAX?

Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:06 pm

Bussed there--typically from the TBIT; but domestic flights have used the gates before.
HOUSTON, TEXAS

B747-4U3
Topic Author

Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:22 pm

So do passengers get a bus to the gate, go upstairs to a departure lounge, and then board normally through an air bridge?

Also, how long does the bus ride take? It is quite a long way from the main terminals.

drerx7

Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:25 pm

You board from Tom Bradley--the bus takes you to those buildings where you go upstairs and go through the jetway. I've never flown out of those gates myself--but they are a good distance from the main terminal complex.
HOUSTON, TEXAS

N1120A

Thu Aug 25, 2005 11:06 pm

Quoting B747-4U3 (Reply 2):
So do passengers get a bus to the gate, go upstairs to a departure lounge, and then board normally through an air bridge?

There is no departure lounge in those gates. On the very, very rare chance that a domestic flight uses the gates, they will just wait in the normal terminal until the bus comes to take the whole plane load to the aircraft. From TBIT, where the gates are used every day, you walk into a departure lounge, which is actually on ground level and just walk out into a bus (if you have been to NCE, you will understand this one). You then ride out to the remote gates which are just ramps up to a jetway (fully ADA compliant).

Quoting B747-4U3 (Reply 2):
Also, how long does the bus ride take? It is quite a long way from the main terminals.

It is not as far as it looks and there is a lot of ramp space for the busses to travel along. It takes 10 minutes at the most
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

B747-4U3
Topic Author

Fri Aug 26, 2005 3:41 am

Having the gates there seems a bit pointless. Why not use steps instead?

kaitak744

Fri Aug 26, 2005 3:56 am

Well, those gates are pretty new. They were built the at the same time T4 was being renovated. (though, the 2 box-like gates on the left are old).

Quoting B747-4U3 (Reply 5):
Having the gates there seems a bit pointless. Why not use steps instead?

True. But having the staircase truck looks a bit unprofessional primitive.

radelow

Sat Aug 27, 2005 6:54 am

Actually one of my favorite things is to depart a BA 747-400 on the ramp at Heathrow. Especially when it's crisp outside. I dunno why but that really makes me know I am in Europe! Love it. Plus walking down the stairs and looking back at that huge plane is just too cool.

I am such an airplane-dork. HAHAHAA

Mark

N747PE

Sat Aug 27, 2005 5:11 pm

Back in the old days of PE LAX Terminal 2 747 operations we sometimes used the remote gates. They worked very well. The 747 would block in, we would bring up the jetway and in under 20 minutes 490 passengers would be off the plane and on the buses for T2. When we used the stairs it sometimes took over 45 minutes to deplane the flight. I felt sorry for the wheelchair bound passengers. With the remote gate, the building houses a massive ramp leading up to the jetway. There are also elevators in the building. When we used the stairs, the passenger had to be transferred to a small straightback chair and two CSR's would have to carry them down.

flyinghighboy

Sat Aug 27, 2005 5:22 pm

I flew Qantas into LAX a couple of years back and usually it was into TBIT but that morning we happened to disembark from one of the remote gates. It was impressive since it gave a nice look of the 744 and the bus did get close to other planes taxing around the area.

flyabunch

Sat Aug 27, 2005 5:45 pm

A few years ago I came into LAX on a UA 320 and we parked at one of these gates. I think it was when they were working on the gates at Terminals 7 and 8. Anyway, we were bussed to Term 7 in about 10 minutes. It does give you a great view of the ramp activity.

Mike

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos