Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

BrunoSBGR
Topic Author

Book About TWA 800

Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:22 pm

Hey everyone.

Yesterday I finished reading this book about flight TWA 800, the 747 that exploded in mid-air near Long Island, NY, back in 1996. I'm sure you all remember that.

Anyway, the name of the book is "Out of Control", written by Nelson Demille (#1 @ New York Times), and is a romance that he created about the accident and investigations afterwards.

It's just FANTASTIC. It first caught my attention because of the theme itself, but as I started to read it, I really got into the story and I'm sure this could be translated to a very, very good movie someday.

Anyway,if you like reading (we all should Wink ), go check this book out, 'cause it's really worth it! Gotta say it made my last 2 weeks a little more fun!

Just wanted to share.

Happy landings,

Bruno_SBGR
Private pilot. Frequent flyer. Aviation geek. Proud of all 3.

BrunoSBGR
Topic Author

RE: Book About TWA 800

Fri Aug 26, 2005 4:59 am

Just a correction:

The book was released in America with the name "Nightfall".
You can look for it in amazon.com.

Happy landings,

Bruno_SBGR

MKEdude

Fri Aug 26, 2005 5:12 am

Which book is this? There seem to be more conspiracy theories about TWA 800 than about the Kennedy assassination. In fact if you look closely at pictures of Dealy Plaza you can see the outline of a TWA 747 on the grassy knoll!

Yes the 747 didn't fly until '69 because that's what the government wants you to think!!  crazy 
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline." Frank Zappa

BCAL

Fri Aug 26, 2005 5:14 am

Quoting BrunoSBGR (Reply 1):
The book was released in America with the name "Nightfall".

And the same in the UK
MOL on SRB's latest attack at BA: "It's like a little Chihuahua barking at a dying Labrador. Nobody cares."

BrunoSBGR
Topic Author

Fri Aug 26, 2005 5:26 am

Quoting MKEdude (Reply 2):
There seem to be more conspiracy theories about TWA 800 than about the Kennedy assassination.

I didn't know the conspiracy theories until I started reading the book and researching about it on the net.

It's amazing... I don't mean to think that it was actually a terrorist attack that caused the crash of flight TWA800, but it seriouly leaves you with a doubt about what really happened that night!  confused 

Happy landings,

Bruno_SBGR

redngold

Fri Aug 26, 2005 5:33 am

Some of us wish that the conspiracy theories would simply vanish. We who lost friends and loved ones prefer to allow the wounds to heal instead of having them gashed open again and again by paranoid speculation.

redngold

[Edited 2005-08-25 22:34:13]
Up, up and away!

Bridogger6

Fri Aug 26, 2005 6:42 am

The book is actually pretty good as a work of fiction. Although, it does incorporate some real interviews in with the fiction, making it quite a good read and it DOES definitely make you do a bit of thinking, no matter what you believe. I recommend it as a good work of fiction to pass the time.

slider

Fri Aug 26, 2005 7:15 am

For more of an analytical approach of the TWA800 event, Jack Cashill's First Strike is more readable. I understand he's looking to print a revised edition, which would include more factual information and timely updates on the government's continued stonewalling. Plus, it gives Cashill a chance to include the Richard Clarke connection, the continued stonewalling of NTSB's refusal to comply with FOIA requests for debris field maps, and the more recent revelations that link Operation Bojinka to TW800.

777wt

Fri Aug 26, 2005 7:50 am

May be the next book I'll read. I'm currently reading 'The ghost of Flight 401' by John Fuller. More than halfway through it now.

b6sea

Fri Aug 26, 2005 9:27 am

Quoting Redngold (Reply 5):
Some of us wish that the conspiracy theories would simply vanish. We who lost friends and loved ones prefer to allow the wounds to heal instead of having them gashed open again and again by paranoid speculation.

really sorry, but wouldn't you rather figure out what really happened so that it could be fixed/solved and doesnt happen again? I mean, I certainly dont want my 747 flying off the coast of Long Island to "explode in midair" while im on it, do you? Conspiracy theories arent always paranoid speculation, a lot of time... the government says one thing because they dont want to incriminate themselves when they know darn well its not true. (in short, sometimes the government lies *GASP*)... Also to not sound so extreme, sometimes the investigators are wrong/mistaken and thats why its always good to have a second opinion/figure out what really went wrong. just my 2 cents...

4holer

Fri Aug 26, 2005 9:43 am

"Guns don't kill people, the guv'ment does!" - Dale Gribble, "King of the Hill"

Come on people. Give it a rest. Sometime paranoia really IS paranoia.
Ghosts appear and fade away.....................

b6sea

Fri Aug 26, 2005 9:59 am

Quoting 4holer (Reply 10):
"Guns don't kill people, the guv'ment does!" - Dale Gribble, "King of the Hill"

Come on people. Give it a rest. Sometime paranoia really IS paranoia.

Love that show, but im not trying to be paranoid just saying that believing everything you hear isnt a good thing to do... As far as 800, many people reported seeing "lights" rapidly approaching the aircraft before it exploded. And i believe on the wreckage ther is a big whole on the right side that is so far unexplained. But... im just paranoid.

Brick

Fri Aug 26, 2005 11:30 am

The best book I've read on TWA 800 was In The Blink Of An Eye. I forget the author. It is the best objective, fact based book written on the subject of TWA 800 in my opinion. The author at the end of her book dissproves the popular conspiracy theories (shot down, bomb, and etc...) one by one.
A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man...

yyz717

Fri Aug 26, 2005 12:34 pm

Quoting Slider (Reply 7):
For more of an analytical approach of the TWA800 event, Jack Cashill's First Strike is more readable.

I just finished the same. "First Strike: TWA Flight 800 and the Attack on America", by Jack Cashill & James Sanders.

While I'm generally skeptical about conspiracy theories, this book provides alot of apparent fact that supports that only a missile (or 2 actually) could have downed TWA 800, from the hundreds of witnesses whose testimony was disregarded, to the bungled FBI investigation, to the forensic evidence of the aircraft's remains.

For some balance, I will try to find the following book referenced above:

Quoting Brick (Reply 12):
The best book I've read on TWA 800 was In The Blink Of An Eye. I forget the author. It is the best objective, fact based book written on the subject of TWA 800 in my opinion. The author at the end of her book dissproves the popular conspiracy theories (shot down, bomb, and etc...) one by one.
I dumped at the gybe mark in strong winds when I looked up at a Porter Q400 on finals. Can't stop spotting.

LMP737

Fri Aug 26, 2005 12:44 pm

Quoting Slider (Reply 7):
For more of an analytical approach of the TWA800 event, Jack Cashill's First Strike is more readable. I understand he's looking to print a revised edition, which would include more factual information and timely updates on the government's continued stonewalling. Plus, it gives Cashill a chance to include the Richard Clarke connection, the continued stonewalling of NTSB's refusal to comply with FOIA requests for debris field maps, and the more recent revelations that link Operation Bojinka to TW800.

Oh yeah, Mr Cashill is a really good source of information.
Never take financial advice from co-workers.

qqflyboy

Sat Aug 27, 2005 12:52 am

I, too, thoroughly enjoyed Nelson Demille's "Nightfall." I specifically enjoyed the character John Corey. Since you liked that one, you should also read "The Lion's Game," another great Demille book that includes John Corey and a suspensful aviation investigation. In fact, "The Lion's Game" is mentioned a few times in "Nightfall."

One of my all time favorite works of aviation fiction is "Airframe" by Michael Crichton.

Another good one... "Soul Survivor" by Dean Koontz.
The views expressed are mine alone and do not necessarily reflect my employer’s views.

ClassicLover

Sat Aug 27, 2005 12:57 am

Not on topic at all, so sue me, but...

Also Night Over Water by Ken Follett isn't bad! Set on a Boeing 314 clipper in 1939, kind of a mystery thing. Very good!

Trent.
I do enjoy a spot of flying, especially when it's not in economy!