Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

emiratesa345

RE: See What A UK Charter Airline Can Get Away With...

Fri Aug 26, 2005 5:58 am

Quoting AlanUK (Reply 8):
I know BA offers all their special meals for free (which means the system can get abused by passengers), but at least BA can proudly say they do not discriminate against a certain type of people by charging more than others to eat what their faith allows them to eat.

I disagree. If you cost them more money to produce your "special meal" you should pay more.

The same applies to larger people. If you take up two seats, you pay for two seats. You pay for what you use (or eat, depending on the situation).

Mark
You and I were meant to fly, Air Canada!

A321fly

Fri Aug 26, 2005 6:02 am

Isnt it Monarch who charge £1.00 to rent the headsets for a flight? Or did they stop that ridicilous act?

Oh but wait, every second the scratchcards are mentioned on the PA system.

No we are not satsfyed lets sell some overpriced snacks and drinks.

Hang on profits are down this year lets charge for the carpet cleaning fees.

How far can it go!

sausageandmash

Fri Aug 26, 2005 6:29 am

Quoting ACEregular (Reply 27):
FIRST CHOICE, do you hear that Sausageandmash, yeah FIRST CHOICE wanted 409.00 for a return on thier flight operated by TCX

Please. It is not my concern what my company charge to get you to Tenerife. My concern is that when you are on my flight you will receive a good standard of service.

Some of you people really do need to wise up. You may well think all charter passengers are chavs. But I wonder what the chavs on board think of the planespotters at the end of the runway? Everyone has an opinion.

Phone Package Holiday Undercover.
Hello - it's me again

ACdreamliner

Fri Aug 26, 2005 6:38 am

I have to put my neck on the line. I really don't think its all that bad. I am 6'3/4 and i have flown with nearly all UK charters except BY (I think). I can't compain. Yeah a little extra leg room could be nice, but its livable. What do you want? a living room?

The foods decent enough, and the planes are not THAT old. Also, most of the time they will sit you together, the extar is just an insurance for you i guess.

On the whole, they are good flights for the money!
Where are you going?

Orion737

Fri Aug 26, 2005 6:40 am

Typical of UK charter airlines this day and age. Charter airlines aint what they used to be!!!!!!

Bring back Orion, Air Europe and Dan Dare!

gilesdavies

Fri Aug 26, 2005 7:09 am

I remember travelling with Britannia back in 1996 LTN-PFO-LTN.

They operated their "Royal" service and would boast how they would be offering their award winning inflight service on todays flight!

You was given a daily paper upon boarding.

They came round within 20mins of take off offering free soft drinks and would pay for alcholic drinks.

The IFE entertainment would start and your FREE headset was in your seat pocket. They would show you a few TV shows suitable for the whole family and on the longer flights like to Cyprus they would show a new Hollywood Movie. On the return flight they even produced their own news programme in co-operation with ITN, giving you an update on the current affair happening back home in the last week.

They would bring round the food and usually a choice of two dishes with free tea and coffee.

Hot Towels were then brought round.

While the movie was on they offered everyone a free Magnum Ice Cream.

Duty Free and the drinks Trolley would come around again before landing.

Hardly any of that is now offered!

NO FREE NEWSPAPER
NO FREE HEADPHONES FOR THE IFE
NO FREE IN-FLIGHT MEAL
NO HOT TOWELS
NO FREE SOFT DRINKS

planesailing

Fri Aug 26, 2005 7:31 am

Quoting ACdreamliner (Reply 53):
I have to put my neck on the line. I really don't think its all that bad. I am 6'3/4 and i have flown with nearly all UK charters except BY (I think). I can't compain. Yeah a little extra leg room could be nice, but its livable. What do you want? a living room?

Have you ever flown with Excel Air? I am 6'2 and it was a complete nightmare. My knees had to be angled, and I couldnt get my feet under the seat infront without my knees crashing into the seat. On the return flight I had to pay more to be able to fly in some kind of comfort.

When we flew with Mytravel on their A330 to Toronto last year and we had one of the emergency seats (yes I paid more). On a 7 hour flight it was more than worth it, and I had a massive amount of legroom, must of been well over a couple of feet!! We had the stair well to the toilets on our left, and a big full sized door to our right.

I found charters were more expensive too. In September, going from London to Palma, the cheapest was Thomson till they raised the prices, then wanted more for food etc. We are flying Gatwick - Palma with GB Airways, and Palma - Madrid - Heathrow with Iberia for £165 return at normal times in the day!!

A340600

Fri Aug 26, 2005 8:11 am

Ok, take a deep breath, here we go...

Quoting B6sea (Reply 20):
Also why does anyone fly the charters?

Because the bulk of seats are sold as part of the package, a whole holiday, you are assigned a flight to get you to the nearest airport to your final destination.

Quoting B6sea (Reply 23):
Not singling you out or anything, but HOW CAN YOU SIT IN THE CATTLE CAR FOR 6+ HRS???? What is yout secret? I mean, I'm only 5' 10" and I think 31" is crampt albeit do-able.

Then you must really 'lay' in your seat? I'm over 6 foot and I manage just fine.

Quoting Jmc757 (Reply 25):
26"?! I assure you there are no charter airlines operating aircarft with 26" seat pitch. 28" is the minimum.

26" is the minimum pitch, though no airlines I know of choose to take this option.

Quoting Fbgdavidson (Reply 31):
Have you been to LGW South recently? By accident or otherwise

Ahh, chav land, beware of the Burberry! Wink

Quoting Planesailing (Reply 56):
Have you ever flown with Excel Air? I am 6'2 and it was a complete nightmare. My knees had to be angled, and I couldnt get my feet under the seat infront without my knees crashing into the seat. On the return flight I had to pay more to be able to fly in some kind of comfort.

I assume this was shorthaul. Longhaul, Excel are one of the best legroom wise in the UK just below FCA.

It is indeed a sad situation with the charters now, but a necessary one in this age of flying. All the airlines are slowly cutting back further and further, charging for everything they can. And, yes, whilst some of us moan, this is in fact what most members of the public want, a cheaper fare from A to B. They do not care anymore for hot towels, something that has long been forgotten on most airlines in our skies today, not charters alone. Pre-flight drinks before takeoff in Y, not going to happen even on BA or VS. Airlines have to save money on these unneccesary things to offer you that better fare that gets those seats filled. This is especially important more so now than ever as more seat-only fares are sold on charters.

I am sick of hearing people complaining about charters, and using them as scape-goats for the lesser frills attitude of airlines these days. Let's be honest, if many of these charter airlines kept up the services they used to whilst other airlines changed they would fall behind in the business sense, having to charge fares ludicrously expensive compared to their rivals. Many people would be deterred and i'm pretty sure I don't need to explain where the situation would eventually go. Bye bye Airline.

Sam
Despite the name I am a Boeing man through and through!

planesailing

Fri Aug 26, 2005 8:15 am

Quoting A340600 (Reply 57):
I assume this was shorthaul. Longhaul, Excel are one of the best legroom wise in the UK just below FCA.

London Gatwick - Malaga, 2 years ago, on a 767-200. It was frankly appaling!

Orion737

Fri Aug 26, 2005 5:47 pm

GilesDavies, I am adding you to my respected users list. I used to love Britannia's Royal Service too.

I come in for a fair amount of stick on this forum for criticising charter airlines today and their cutbacks in service. Glad to see someone agreeing about the service we used to get on these once proud airlines not very long ago!

cornish

Fri Aug 26, 2005 5:53 pm

Quoting Gkirk (Reply 33):
So? I fly charter airlines so that makes me a chav?

No - its a whole load of other things that make you a Chav Kirkie (aka ASBO Boy) Big grin
Just when I thought I could see light at the end of the tunnel, it was some B*****d with a torch bringing me more work

ManchesterMAN
Topic Author

Fri Aug 26, 2005 8:07 pm

Quoting Gilesdavies (Reply 55):
I remember travelling with Britannia back in 1996 LTN-PFO-LTN.

They operated their "Royal" service and would boast how they would be offering their award winning inflight service on todays flight!

You was given a daily paper upon boarding.

They came round within 20mins of take off offering free soft drinks and would pay for alcholic drinks.

The IFE entertainment would start and your FREE headset was in your seat pocket. They would show you a few TV shows suitable for the whole family and on the longer flights like to Cyprus they would show a new Hollywood Movie. On the return flight they even produced their own news programme in co-operation with ITN, giving you an update on the current affair happening back home in the last week.

They would bring round the food and usually a choice of two dishes with free tea and coffee.

Hot Towels were then brought round.

While the movie was on they offered everyone a free Magnum Ice Cream.

Duty Free and the drinks Trolley would come around again before landing.

Hardly any of that is now offered!

NO FREE NEWSPAPER
NO FREE IN-FLIGHT MEAL
NO HOT TOWELS
NO FREE SOFT DRINKS

I remember flying BY in 1994 from MAN-Rhodes, I remember it very well actually as it was my first wide body flight on a 762 and I thought the 2-4-2 layout was great (!) all the things you mention really gave the feeling you were important and the flight was very much the start or end of the holiday and not just a means of getting from A-B.

Now people are saying that charter airlines have to cut back to survive and fair enough this is probably true but I wonder when people book their holiday do they really know or care which airline they'll be flying before hand? If they do then surely there is space in the market for charter airlines offering a mid-90's style "Royal" service. If they don't give a monkeys as suggested in many responses and the pax just want to get there cheaply, then why would FCA take out so many seats from their 763s giving them fewer seats to sell?
Flown: A300,A319,A320,A321,A330,A340.A380,717,727,737,747,757,767,777,DC9,DC10,MD11,MD80,F100,F50,ERJ,E190,CRJ,BAe146,Da

B707Stu

Fri Aug 26, 2005 8:14 pm

The market ebbs and flows. It's just a matter of time before a charter company uses technology to allow people to online check-in, pre-assign seats, etc. Some executive will do it as a ploy to garner P.R. and business - the rest will follow.

Come on folks - really now - a) you don't have to fly anyone you don't wish to, b) of course charters are going to be a no-frill experience, c) focus on the glass being half-full - aren't the charters using better aircraft then they used to? Geez, be grateful you're healthy and can travel.

And to those who say "I'd pay xxx more for xxx," be grateful you can afford it. There are many families who save to have a trip to visit family. I remember when I was growing up (too many years ago to mention) and saving my money to buy a charter tkt to visit my family in the UK. There were 24 hour delays, old aircraft, unscheduled stops in BGR, etc... I was so grateful to see my Nan and family whatever pain I endured quickly dissipated. TOday I'm older and am normally in FCC, often in the front or business and actually have strong feelings of nostalgia for my World Airways and Universal Airways stretch DC-8 charter days.

ukflyer

Fri Aug 26, 2005 9:22 pm

I just recently took a flight from bhx to agp on Monarch's Scheduled service and whilst I can't knock the level of service received I couldn't help but feel that from the second the wheels left the tarmac we were subjected to 2.5 hours of sell sell sell.

It was a constant barage of buy this, buy that. If it wasn't the Kit Kats, Fruit Shoots and Sour Cream & Chive Pringles (at 7am not something I wanted to smell but oh well) it was then the breakfast menu (which had otherwise been free on Monarch Scheduled) that had now turned into a £5 a head meal. I don't object to paying for a meal...I just object to paying for a meal that basically wasn't worth the money. Oh yeah and before that there was the chance to purchase champagne and have it 'put on ice' ready to drink with breakfast....along with the sale of other liquid refreshment.

We were given 2 chances to then purchase the scratch cards, followed by the
duty free trolley. On the return flight we were also asked for any loose change/euros for some charity or other.

To give Monarch its due both flights were ontime, check-in was a breeze (at bhx anyway...never at the Spanish end) staff were pleasant and efficient, just couldn't help but think they had turned into nothing other than glorified sales people.

I just wanted to say that I don't think its just the charter airlines offering the chargeable extras but something that more and more airlines seem to be introducing. It was obvious that inflight revenues/ extras must play a big part in the success of the airline and may even be the difference between make and break in what has become a cut throat market.

And, at the end of the day isn't the consumer partly to blame for this approach of charging for those extra things that at one time were free?Wanting the cheapest flights so people can frequently visit there second homes.....something has to give and airlines have to turn a profit somehow.

XXXX10

Fri Aug 26, 2005 9:45 pm

I can't really see the problem in the 70's Laker airways charged passengers for meals.

In the 80's I believe peoples express made passengers load their own bags.

I traveled to Cuba on Thomas Cook Airways last year, the aircraft was (or seemed) almost new, we were not allowed to pre-book seats but were seated together (2 of us) on both legs, the food was good, IFE was fine, and were on time, seat pitch was adequate and my whole holiday was less than the return air fare on a scheduled flight.

What more can you ask for

Aeroflot777

Fri Aug 26, 2005 9:50 pm

I'm glad most Russian charters all have reasonable legroom ,and all give food, even on short flights.

Aeroflot777

BCAL

Fri Aug 26, 2005 10:05 pm

Quoting XXXX10 (Reply 64):
I can't really see the problem in the 70's Laker airways charged passengers for meals

Laker Airways only charged for meals on Skytrain scheduled services. When the fare for LGW/JFK was £59 outwards and $99 for the return leg, compared with minimum fares of £400+ on other scheduled carriers, you could hardly complain about forking out £5 for a 3-course meal.

Meals/refreshments were provided "free" on all Laker charter services - normally a ham roll or sardine salad and a KitKat, even for breakfast!
MOL on SRB's latest attack at BA: "It's like a little Chihuahua barking at a dying Labrador. Nobody cares."

sulman

Fri Aug 26, 2005 11:13 pm

I can live with paying for food and drink, and even exit seats. What I can't live with is nasty seat pitch. At 6'3", I don't expect absolute comfort, but I certainly won't tolerate pain. Pain is what I got when I travelled BY from LGW to AGP. Consequently, they won't get my business again.

BA is now pretty competitive on the same route, and I thought Monarch were (tight seats, but not as tight as BY) great into GRX - good service, punctual, clean a/c.

I think I'll try Easyjet again in November, although I've heard their 319 is pretty tight, and that's what I'll get from LGW.

James
It takes a big man to admit they are wrong, and I am not a big man.

LGW

Fri Aug 26, 2005 11:33 pm

Hi all,

Why all this UK charter bashing all of a sudden?

I love the way lots of people on this forum have just realised that UK charters put as many seats on their aircraft as possible, and now charge for food, drinks, headsets and pre booking seats.

'Tight' seating is nothing new, that is what you get on a charter flight as for now paying for food and drink, do you think it was free before? It was included in the price of the package before!

People want it all now, with the advent of the LCC people want to pay peanuts and get a supreme service, it doesn't happen guys!

If you don't like to fly charter then don't, fly on scheduled carriers via a hub, your choice

Ben Pritchard

FlyCaledonian

Fri Aug 26, 2005 11:53 pm

As has been mentioned, Charter Airlines serve their clients (or owners) the tour operaters. The package holiday, like flying, has changed due to LCCs and the internet (All my holidays in the past five years have been booked by me, online, with bits and pieces put together). The trick of charging for extras is just the same as the LCCs use, although admittedly you can buy more extras on the Charter carriers. But all in I'd still rather look at flying scheduled, hence why I'm spending New Year in Prague, flying BA from LHR, returning in Club and all at a cheaper price than EZY. Could anyone have got me cheaper? Yes, KLM, but I didn't want to transfer and at inconvenient times to.

You pay for what you get and to get a rock bottom fare on a charter you will just get a seat. It's not a con, or a rip-off, it's the consumers choice if they take these up.
Let's Go British Caledonian!

D5DBY

Sat Aug 27, 2005 1:07 am

ive been over this before...but Unfortunately u cant decide what kind of service they should have and what they should charge for it.

the airliner decide that, and if u are not happy, u wont fly with them, and then they will change their service or go off the market.

thats how the free market works. but as long as people fly with them and pay money for "extras" and stuff...they will not change, why would they?

but, of course its fun 2 discuss how bad service is on some airliners, i can respect that, and maybe make the airliners change their service..

707lvr

Sat Aug 27, 2005 3:55 am

Oh, no! I bought a Burberry raincoat in Edinburgh during that wonderful late spring trip in 1986 (Chernobyl, Libya) when I had Europe all to myself basically. Am I chav?

AIHTOURS

Sat Aug 27, 2005 4:14 am

Quoting Ricci767 (Reply 46):
I certainly noticed a big decrease of in-flight "chavness" on Virgin Atlantic over My travel, Monarch, Air 2000 and Britannia.

I have to disagree. I don´t notice anything like this. You are going to get the odd few people, but that hardly matters.

Quoting Sausageandmash (Reply 52):
Some of you people really do need to wise up. You may well think all charter passengers are chavs. But I wonder what the chavs on board think of the planespotters at the end of the runway? Everyone has an opinion.

Phone Package Holiday Undercover.

I agree. They will give the time this kind of Charter Chav issue needs. The best part of 0 seconds.

Quoting Orion737 (Reply 59):
come in for a fair amount of stick on this forum for criticising charter airlines today and their cutbacks in service.

Orion, I don´t mind your contesnt whining about the cutbacks in service   (Seriously) You put forward decent arguments.

There is money to be made with all the extra charges, and these company's are going to make the money as long as people continue to travel with them. I´m afraid it is a case of if you don´t like it, don´t do it.  Sad

As for MyTravel, there Short-Haul 28" seat pitch is the same as all the rest, Thomson´s, Thomas Cook, Monarch, First Choice.

Can you fly British Airways to Ibiza and Majorca etc... With a Holiday and Transfers at the end of the day anyway?

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © APS Images

Thanks

[Edited 2005-08-26 21:15:40]
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ5 User

gilesdavies

Sat Aug 27, 2005 4:17 am

Quoting LGW (Reply 68):
I love the way lots of people on this forum have just realised that UK charters put as many seats on their aircraft as possible, and now charge for food, drinks, headsets and pre booking seats.

What a load of Bo**ocks!  hissyfit 

Of coarse the price included food, drink etc... But tour operators continued to increase the price of their basic package holidays and then still charge you extra.

I think it was 2000 when Thomson started charging extra for all the "frills" on the flights, but my parents were considering going back to the same hotel in Spain like they did the previous year when all the "frills" were included. Thomson put the basic price of the holiday up by more than £40 per person int he following years brochure thenalong with the price increase wanted to charge all the extras which were included in the price the previous year.

Bringing the total price increase to something like £120 person.

On the positive side tour operators like Balkan Holiday and Olympic Holidays continue to offer package holidays with most the frills included like airport transfers, inflight meals, free IFE and 20kg baggage allowance for no extra cost and usually beat the likes of Thomson for price hands down. I was on a TCX flight last year and the cabin crew had a list of Olympic Holiday passengers on the flight and ensured we received their headsets and in-flight meal.  Smile

If you travel with Balkan Holidays you also get the opportunity to fly on TU-154 with their own in-house airline!  bigthumbsup   airplane 

gilesdavies

Sat Aug 27, 2005 4:18 am

Quoting 707lvr (Reply 71):
Oh, no! I bought a Burberry raincoat in Edinburgh during that wonderful late spring trip in 1986 (Chernobyl, Libya) when I had Europe all to myself basically. Am I chav?

YES YOU ARE!

LGW

Sat Aug 27, 2005 4:56 am

Gilesdavies,

"What a load of Bo**ocks"

How polite of you sir, such a way with words.

What is stupid about this debate is that just before charter carriers started to break down their prices to the customer there was a big call for them to do so because people were demanding to see what they were paying for and how much each component was costing them.

If the charter carriers and tour operators had not have done this then you would all be saying how stupid they are, how inflexible they are etc

You do not have to pay for meals, headsets, drinks, snacks and pre booking seats.

I am happy to debate the UK charter market and accept that the future will be tough for it but to start moaning about the prices and charges is just narrow minded. If the charter carriers are over charging and offering such a poor product then give it time and those airlines will no longer exist. People vote with their feet and we all have choices when it comes to flying

"Of coarse the price included food, drink etc... But tour operators continued to increase the price of their basic package holidays and then still charge you extra"

You keep talking about "charging you extra" they charged you it before but you didn't see the individual cost break down!

As for rising prices of IT's, heard of inflation? heard of the rising fuel price? heard of suppliers charging the tour operators more?

In the main I agree with you, I too get frustrated by the "extras" sometimes but the LCC's have taken us into a world where it is neccessary for airlines to be able to quote a low basic price even if extras are on top of that

As for charter passengers being chav's very true on a small number of routes but the majority or flights are couples, families, friends all heading out for a good holiday in the sun

Cheers

Ben Pritchard

[Edited 2005-08-26 22:12:15]

Thomsonfly

Sat Aug 27, 2005 5:24 am

Hi
As a tui agent, day after day people moan about the costs ontop of a holiday, but like i say most of them are indeed optional. If you don't want an inflight meal on your 2255 departure to Turkey and back at 0300 then that's fine, can always take them off. Oh and your hiring a car? Lets take off the transfers then. Pre-booked seating and extra luggage allowance is also an option.... so indeed all the 'extras' amount too is fuel surcharge (like most carriers charge for be it charter or scheduled) and a possible ticket on departure fee if your booking late (which may i add is something i would expect if you got a cheap last minute deal anyway. Thomson dont charge this fee on specalist named holidays eg Gold, Platinum etc).

Like someone has said, if you pay for nothing thats what u get, and indeed its no use going on about your free inflight meal back in 1980 whatever, when they didnt need to try and keep airfares down due to rivalry from easyjet and they didnt have to fight against raging fuel prices.

I dont agree with paying another fee for picking your specific seat number after you have already paid to prebook your seats, i agree that should be stopped somewhere but heyho i have no choice to pay as i like to know exactly where im sitting before i get to the airport and no big long moan on airliners.net is ever going to make an airline go oh im sorry for trying to create more profit lets give it ya for free.

mark

Orion737

Sat Aug 27, 2005 8:16 am

Talking about charter airlines being sell,sell, sell these days. On board a recent FCA flight I couldnt believe my ears. They even did a 'transfer drinks' service, selling bottles of water to drink on tour ops transfer coaches!!!

A340600

Sat Aug 27, 2005 9:58 pm

Quoting AIHTOURS (Reply 72):
As for MyTravel, there Short-Haul 28" seat pitch is the same as all the rest, Thomson´s, Thomas Cook, Monarch, First Choice.

How could someone like you make such a mistake Wink!

Being picky, some charters, like First Choice actually offer 29" seat pitch,

Sam silly 
Despite the name I am a Boeing man through and through!

jmc757

Sun Aug 28, 2005 3:38 am

Quoting Gilesdavies (Reply 73):
On the positive side tour operators like Balkan Holiday and Olympic Holidays continue to offer package holidays with most the frills included like airport transfers, inflight meals, free IFE and 20kg baggage allowance for no extra cost and usually beat the likes of Thomson for price hands down. I was on a TCX flight last year and the cabin crew had a list of Olympic Holiday passengers on the flight and ensured we received their headsets and in-flight meal.

Ooh... I'm going with Olympic on Thursday, it's a Monarch flight. Wonder if we'll get free headsets. I was expecting to be charged, hence am taking my own.

Balkan TU154's - Free IFE = NO IFE!

sulman

Sun Aug 28, 2005 4:06 am

Monarch Scheduled gave free headsets out when I used them in July.

Doesn't really matter, frankly you're better off with a good book.

James
It takes a big man to admit they are wrong, and I am not a big man.

aireuropeuk733

Sun Aug 28, 2005 4:41 am

Quoting Orion737 (Reply 54):
Bring back Orion, Air Europe and Dan Dare!

Totally agree Orion - but I'm starting to sound like a stuck record!!

AE733
It's nice to fly with friends

AIHTOURS

Sun Aug 28, 2005 5:33 am

Quoting Thomsonfly (Reply 76):
Thomson dont charge this fee on specalist named holidays eg Gold, Platinum etc).

What is a shame is that, you have to be classed as an "Adult" to go in these "Gold" hotels, but in all the other Hotels and excursions you are classed as an Adult if you are over 12.

Quoting Orion737 (Reply 77):
They even did a 'transfer drinks' service, selling bottles of water to drink on tour ops transfer coaches!!!

I remember this last year now you have reminded me. It was one of only a few interruptions during our flight though.

Quoting A340600 (Reply 78):
How could someone like you make such a mistake !

:D Never knew that. Indeed air2000 are down as 29" on the Airline Quality Website. Apologies all the same.

If some of you use regional Airports, you may have the chance to fly with some foreign Charter Airlines, like Iberworld, Futura etc... where many things are included in your flight, like a take-off and landing sweet for example.

I´ll tell you something though, the new enhanced interior on the Thomson 757s is fantastic!

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Emmanuel Perez - Luxembourg Aviation Photography

Thanks,

sausageandmash

Sun Aug 28, 2005 9:14 am

Quoting Orion737 (Reply 77):
On board a recent FCA flight I couldnt believe my ears. They even did a 'transfer drinks' service, selling bottles of water to drink on tour ops transfer coaches!!!

Some people actually quite like this service, you know. Bottles of water to drink on a three hour coach transfer in up to 40 degree heat....hmm. Wonder why that seems like a bad idea? It can save a lot of hassle when you arrive at the airport while rushing about with suitcases and kids before you get on your transfer coach. If you were back in the "good old days" of Orion blah blah blah one would not have this option.

It's all about the sales, though, isn't it? I've been a member of crew for over 6 years now and we have always offered this service prior to landing as a matter of course. And that was in the days before the increased sales pitch.

Bear in mind the profits the airlines make from on board sales. These profits go - partly - towards making your holiday better and more enjoyable.

Again. Customer choice.

Now please give it a rest!
Hello - it's me again

iwok

Sun Aug 28, 2005 5:20 pm

Could someone please enlighten me as to the meaning of "chav?" We don't use on this side of the pond.

-iwok

planesarecool

Sun Aug 28, 2005 6:05 pm

If you don't like charter airlines then don't fly them! Wow, rocket science!

And i agree with Ben (LGW), charter airlines have been this way for ages. They're high density holiday airlines, the more seats, the more bookings, the more happy customers.

There's nothing "chav" about charter airlines, by saying this it just prooves that you think you are higher class and deserve more. I fly charter airlines, but i don't wear burberry, sit on the streets making people's lives havoc or whatever they do. So i'm a chav? No!

Quoting Gilesdavies (Reply 55):
NO FREE NEWSPAPER
NO FREE IN-FLIGHT MEAL
NO HOT TOWELS
NO FREE SOFT DRINKS

1. Buy a newspaper before you board = about 30p
2. Bring your own headphones = 0p
3. Buy something you LIKE before the flight and eat it onboard. Chances are you won't like the meal anyway = £2-3 max
4. Problem? Get off your lazy ass and wash your hands in the sink if its such a big deal
5. Buy your own before you board = £1-2 max

You can get all that for around £5, and get what you like. Or pay for a meal, that, chances are, you may wish to pass on.

Charter airlines are only adding these as extras, so that people who don't want them, don't have to have them and get a better fare. Seems fair to me.

A321fly

Sun Aug 28, 2005 6:06 pm

Quoting Sausageandmash (Reply 83):
Bottles of water to drink on a three hour coach transfer in up to 40 degree heat

Ah but.. The brochure states all coach transfers are in air-con coaches so it wouldnt be 40 degree heat.

jmc757

Sun Aug 28, 2005 8:19 pm

Quoting A340600 (Reply 78):
How could someone like you make such a mistake !

Sam

How do First Choice offer 29" seat pitch?! Their A320's operate in Y180 same as Thomas Cook, MyTravel and Monarch. Their 757's operate in Y233. Some airlines operate Y235, some operate Y233, however this has nothing to do with leg room, it's because they operate a slightly different Galley/Toilet configuration. Are FCA's aircraft just a tad longer to give that extra inch?!

BCAL

Mon Aug 29, 2005 2:45 am

Quoting Iwok (Reply 84):
Could someone please enlighten me as to the meaning of "chav?" We don't use on this side of the pond

See Reply 41

Quoting BCAL (Reply 41):
Chav is a slang term, usually derogatory, used in the United Kingdom to define lower-class youths seen as tawdry hooligans.

Source: Ask Jeeves?
MOL on SRB's latest attack at BA: "It's like a little Chihuahua barking at a dying Labrador. Nobody cares."

Shamrock_747

Mon Aug 29, 2005 3:40 am

I dislike charter airlines, therefore never fly on them.

I don't see the need to brand everyone chavs though - some people just want to get where they're going as cheaply as possible and couldn't care less about the service they receive. 'Service that matters for people who value how they fly' isn't for everyone's cup of tea after all!

Of course, there are other sides to the issue... having worked at LGW South I do admit a large amount of passengers seem to fit chav stereotypes. I'm also irritated by people who pay a cheap price to fly on one of these airlines and then moan about it - you get what you pay for after all! The same goes for those who pay £69 for a LON-PAR rtn on BA and then complain that the All Day Deli sandwich wasn't quite to their taste.

sausageandmash

Mon Aug 29, 2005 8:53 am

Quoting A321fly (Reply 86):
Ah but.. The brochure states all coach transfers are in air-con coaches so it wouldnt be 40 degree heat.

banghead   banghead   banghead   banghead   banghead   banghead   banghead   banghead   banghead   banghead 

Dehydrate then!!!!!!!!
Hello - it's me again

dc863

Mon Aug 29, 2005 12:52 pm

You get what you pay for. People want cheap fares. Okay so the airlines give you rock bottom service and comfort for chump change prices. You Europeans are lucky. At least your flag carriers aren't as bad as ours. For those of you who have never flown US carriers, hop aboard your nearest Cattle Car Charter, you'll see what it's like for most Americans.

satx

Mon Aug 29, 2005 2:32 pm

Quoting Luisca (Reply 1):
Wao, and people complain about AA's crappy service.

Um, it IS crappy. I've flown them plenty of times, so please don't assume this is a one-off from somebody who doesn't know what they're really like. When they had MRTC, I was able to overlook their service. Now they have nothing to keep me coming back.

Quoting AlanUK (Reply 8):
I know BA offers all their special meals for free

As do most/all US airlines TMK.

Quoting Crosswind (Reply 24):
First Choice Airways offer more legroom than any other UK charter airline, British Airways, bmi, Virgin or any US scheduled carrier except American Airlines on their Trans-Atlantic flights as standard.

What about US Airways? Southwest, Frontier, jetBlue, and ATA are also in the same seat pitch ballpark but do not fly trans-Atlantic as of yet.

Quoting Dc863 (Reply 91):
For those of you who have never flown US carriers, hop aboard your nearest Cattle Car Charter, you'll see what it's like for most Americans.

Um, no. I have never flown in anything less than 31" pitch coach on a US airline and most of my flights have been with 32" or 33" pitch. According to www.airlinequality.com, this is pretty damn good pitch compared to most EU carriers, including both chartered and scheduled services. Apparently there are US-based charter airlines as well, but I have never flown any. At the moment I can't imagine why I would.
A300 319 320 321 332 333 388 B727 732 733 735 737 738 739 742 743 744 752 753 763 764 772 77E 77L 773 77W 788 789 C200 700 900 DHC2 DC9 E145 170 175 190 F100 MD81 82 83 87 88 90 | 38 Lines 44 Craft 58 Ports

bh4007

Tue Aug 30, 2005 12:41 am

Quoting Thomsonfly (Reply 76):
Hi
As a tui agent, day after day people moan about the costs ontop of a holiday, but like i say most of them are indeed optional. If you don't want an inflight meal on your 2255 departure to Turkey and back at 0300 then that's fine, can always take them off. Oh and your hiring a car? Lets take off the transfers then. Pre-booked seating and extra luggage allowance is also an option.... so indeed all the 'extras' amount too is fuel surcharge (like most carriers charge for be it charter or scheduled) and a possible ticket on departure fee if your booking late (which may i add is something i would expect if you got a cheap last minute deal anyway. Thomson dont charge this fee on specalist named holidays eg Gold, Platinum etc).

Like someone has said, if you pay for nothing thats what u get, and indeed its no use going on about your free inflight meal back in 1980 whatever, when they didnt need to try and keep airfares down due to rivalry from easyjet and they didnt have to fight against raging fuel prices.

I dont agree with paying another fee for picking your specific seat number after you have already paid to prebook your seats, i agree that should be stopped somewhere but heyho i have no choice to pay as i like to know exactly where im sitting before i get to the airport and no big long moan on airliners.net is ever going to make an airline go oh im sorry for trying to create more profit lets give it ya for free.

mark

Thank god someone put things right!! On the Chav front, though, it depends on DESTINATION, NOT AIRLINE, any airline under the sun could fly to IBIZA and you would still get "Rif-Raf" on board, But oh no, its only charter airlines that fly to these places unless you want to fly to a spanish city and then get an internal flight (Expensive and if with Iberia poor as well but lets no go there- enough fighting for one day!) I flew from Kavala (Greek holiday airport) to Manchester (Where lots of "chavs" fly from+to) and not one in sight. There will always be a place for a good old british charter carriers (especially BY!!). OH, AND IF YOURE REALLY BOTHERED ABOUT HEATED TOWLES AND SWEETS @ TAKEOFF, FLY ASTREUS, PHEWW......WORLD SAVED!!!! relieved  (its pathetic really, isnt it) P.S on a friendly note, i loved the new interior on G-BYAR, seats are really classy (should keep away those chavs! sarcastic  Wink

AIHTOURS

Sat Sep 03, 2005 1:05 am

Quoting Bh4007 (Reply 93):
any airline under the sun could fly to IBIZA and you would still get "Rif-Raf" on board

I have arrived back from IBIZA on Thomson. I did not see anything like this "Rif-Raf" onboard both flights.

A321fly

Sat Sep 03, 2005 2:10 am

Quoting AIHTOURS (Reply 94):
I have arrived back from IBIZA on Thomson. I did not see anything like this "Rif-Raf" onboard both flights

Thats because it didnt leave from London or Manchester.

bh4007

Sat Sep 03, 2005 8:28 pm

Quoting AIHTOURS (Reply 94):
I have arrived back from IBIZA on Thomson. I did not see anything like this "Rif-Raf" onboard both flights.

Im sure you know what im getting at!!