Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

dforce1
Topic Author

LGW-YVR

Tue Aug 30, 2005 2:46 am

My Godmother is flying in from LGW to YVR. This is her first long-haul flight. She provided me with the flight details but as I've never flown with the companies, I don't know much about what to expect. Hopefully - you guys can help me.

Sept. 15 LGW- YVR
DEP. 10.25 ARR.14.30
Flight# TCX61K.

Sept. 29
YVR -LGW
DEP. 14.30 ARR.0850
Flight # MYT98

Now, I assume the outbound flight is a Thomas Cook flight and the inbound is My Travel. Are these both the same companies? It seems odd to me why she would be travelling on two different airlines.

What aircraft are used on these routes? Are they actually operated by Thomas Cook planes or are they operated by a Canadian charter airline?

What can she expect in terms of in-flight service/comfort? Has anyone flown them before? Will she have to pay for headphones on the flight and is it possible to purchase a model aircraft on the plane? If so, how much is it?

Hope you guys can help!

tsl1011

RE: LGW-YVR

Tue Aug 30, 2005 3:06 am

Thomas Cook and MyTravel are not the same airline, but I am guessing that your Godmother booked through a travel agency which shopped around to find the best price for her. For example, back in 1998 I used an agency to book me from YYZ to YVR and back, and they put me on Air Transat outbound and Royal Airlines on the return trip.
As to equipment, Thomas Cook normally flies their A330-243s (G-OJMB or G-OJMC) into YVR and MyTravel also uses their own A330-243s (although last week I saw their A330-343 OY-VKG here).
Sorry I can't help you with the details of their in-flight service, as I've never flown on either airline. I hope she enjoys her flight!

BA767s

Tue Aug 30, 2005 3:07 am

Hey,

I did the LGW-YYC route a few years ago but it was with JMC who are now Thomas Cook. The aircraft used is an A330-200. When I flew it, it did LGW-YYC-YVR so your Godmother will probs stop off in Calgary before carrying onto Vancouver. When I flew the JMC product you were given headphones and they were yours to keep and you could buy a model a/c as I did for about £12 (don't count me on that).

The flight back will probs also be on a A330.

John  Smile
Come on, let's fly!

planesailing

Tue Aug 30, 2005 4:32 am

Quoting TSL1011 (Reply 1):
Thomas Cook and MyTravel are not the same airline, but I am guessing that your Godmother booked through a travel agency which shopped around to find the best price for her.

By the looks of it, I would imagine it was booked through Canadian Affair.

Quoting TSL1011 (Reply 1):
Sorry I can't help you with the details of their in-flight service, as I've never flown on either airline. I hope she enjoys her flight!

The Mytravel flight is very good, nice level of service, the aircraft were clean and tidy and IFE is good, PTV's and all if I remember correctly.

flyyul

Tue Aug 30, 2005 5:14 am

She booked through Canadian-affair.com

They are a UK to Canada consolidator that provides travel for Thomas Cook/My Travel.

Therefore, if you check their booking engine, it'll show that this kind of itinerary is possible.

dforce1
Topic Author

Tue Aug 30, 2005 5:16 am

Thanks a lot for all of this guys!
I read some of the comments about Thomas Cook on airlinequality.com and it didn't paint a very good picture. However, as it seems she will be flying on one of their new A330's, I'm sure she should be comfortable as she is only about 5 ft 9. Hopefully she'll get a good crew, not one of the rude ones. I read on the Thomas Cook website that their A330's have PTV's. Can anyone verify this?

I also read on the TC website that you can purchase B757 models so I shall ask her to get me one. I like their livery - simple but effective. I saw on the Airliners.net pics section that TC used to fly B767's into YVR -do they still operate them?

Quoting Planesailing (Reply 3):
The Mytravel flight is very good, nice level of service, the aircraft were clean and tidy and IFE is good, PTV's and all if I remember correctly.

Would anyone agree that My Travel is better than Thomas Cook? Does My Travel have PTV's on their A330's? It seems both UK airlines have the Canadian charters beat. We don't have PTV's!

I tried finding a My Travel Airways website, but all it did was take me to a splash page for 3 non-english speaking countries. Is there a My Travel Airways English page which outlines flight amenities and airline info? I assume My Travel is a UK Based carrier, is it not?

tsl1011

Tue Aug 30, 2005 10:36 am

Quoting DFORCE1 (Reply 5):
I saw on the Airliners.net pics section that TC used to fly B767's into YVR -do they still operate them?

The B767s in Thomas Cook livery were actually Condor aircraft, flying from Germany. It has been fun to watch the livery evolve since Thomas Cook took over Condor. It started with Thomas Cook titles painted over the Condor livery:

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Richard Austen

Then we started seeing completely repainted planes, with the caption 'Powered by Condor' on the fuselage...

View Large View Medium

Photo © Johnny Tsang

...until someone must have realized that Condor was a well-known name with a lot of history in Germany, and dropping it had been a mistake so now the Condor titles are reappearing but on Thomas Cook liveries!

View Large View Medium

Photo © Kazim Alikhan - t.dot photography

Just one of the things that keeps spotting interesting... Smile

ExPedia

Tue Aug 30, 2005 10:59 am

MyTravel is the old Airtours in case you are trying to keep track. They are nearly bankrupt but have been for awhile so I wouldn't be all that concerned. They also own Sunquest and Alba Tours in Canada. If you go to the main MyTravel website (www.mytravel.com) you should be able to find something there.

By the way Thomas Cook is the operating name of the company now wholly owned by C&N Touristic, a 50/50 joint venture between Lufthansa and KarstadtQuelle (the largest department store chain in Germany). They are a pretty good operator.
-- ExPedia

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos