Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Venezuela747
Topic Author

AA, WN, NW Flying To MSY

Thu Sep 01, 2005 5:45 am

Just watched the Situation Room on CNN and they were saying AA had been opeating flights bringing in supplies and taking out refugees.......WN just landed a plane and both NW and FedEx have scheduled flights for tomorrow

Any word on this?
ROLL TIDE!!!

as739x

RE: AA, WN, NW Flying To MSY

Thu Sep 01, 2005 5:48 am

CO 1940, just landed. As of right now all other planes I see in the air are private!

ASSFO
"Some pilots avoid storm cells and some play connect the dots!"

AirWest

Thu Sep 01, 2005 5:49 am

Yeah, the NW flight is bringing supplies and evacuating the remaining NW employees in MSY. I can't speak for the others, but I imagine that they would be there for the same purpose.
"And now I wish I was somewhere other than here"- JB

Venezuela747
Topic Author

Thu Sep 01, 2005 5:51 am

Are they only evacuating employees.....what about people in shelters....I am not too familiar with where the airport is but is the airport reacheable or are the roads completly flodded around the airport?
ROLL TIDE!!!

LY4XELD

Thu Sep 01, 2005 5:54 am

AA had one flight yesterday providing food and water to New Orleans. I don't believe there are any further scheduled humanitarian flights scheduled for AA.

Venezuela747
Topic Author

Thu Sep 01, 2005 5:55 am

Here is a list of some other flights that have landed

CO1940 from IAH
NW9868 from MEM
WN8504 from DAL
US33 from PHL

US check 483 from MEM?
ROLL TIDE!!!

jtamu97

Thu Sep 01, 2005 5:57 am

Quoting Venezuela747 (Reply 5):
US check 483 from MEM?

Could be a small charter, with a Lear..Doubt they are picking up any checks to be processed but you never know.

LAter,
J
Propeller, we don't need no stinkin propeller

OPNLguy

Thu Sep 01, 2005 5:59 am

AA ran one 757 DFW-MSY and back on 8/30, about 170 stranded folks onboard I hear.

SWA has a 737-700 DAL-MSY and back today (8/31), and we'll probably be full coming out. (137). Red Cross will be meeting the passengers at Love.

I don't think any one airline has run any more than a single flight so far...
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

contrails

Thu Sep 01, 2005 6:02 am

This is the first good news I've heard from the New Orleans area since Katrina hit. It may not be much, but it's a start.
Flying Colors Forever!

N1120A

Thu Sep 01, 2005 6:08 am

Quoting Venezuela747 (Reply 3):
I am not too familiar with where the airport is but is the airport reacheable or are the roads completly flodded around the airport?

It looks like the main road into New Orleans, Interstate 10, is clear coming from the West, which is where the Airport is.

Quoting Venezuela747 (Reply 5):
US33 from PHL

That is interesting, given that I believe US33 is an actual scheduled flight
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

FlyingTexan

Thu Sep 01, 2005 6:34 am

From SWA’s website:

Southwest Airlines has discontinued all scheduled service to/from MSY through at least Monday, September 12.

Furthermore, they have indefinitely suspended future MSY reservations. Anyone with a ticket can reroute thru HOU, BNA, or BHM no penalty. Of course, they are also offering refunds.
"Wouldn't your boss like to fly home nonstop at 4:30 on a Friday afternoon?" -Airline Exec to Congressional Staffer

Venezuela747
Topic Author

Thu Sep 01, 2005 6:36 am

AA.com allows you to book DFW-MSY for September 6th for a whooping $900
ROLL TIDE!!!

FlyingTexan

Thu Sep 01, 2005 6:39 am

Quoting Venezuela747 (Reply 11):

That’s price gouging. The Louisiana Attorney General has set up a special toll free number to report such unethical, spineless practices.
"Wouldn't your boss like to fly home nonstop at 4:30 on a Friday afternoon?" -Airline Exec to Congressional Staffer

litz

Thu Sep 01, 2005 6:41 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 9):
It looks like the main road into New Orleans, Interstate 10, is clear coming from the West, which is where the Airport is.

The problem is, going east from the airport into the center of downtown, it's completely flooded. That's the "money shot" you see on TV all the time of the highways underwater, with the bridge ramps rising out of the water.

However, these flights are great news, as it means the much needed relief supplies (and workers) are finally able to at least get TO the area ...

And since they are staging helicopters from there, they have a base of operations, too.

- litz

searpqx

Thu Sep 01, 2005 6:45 am

Must've been a temporary thing, since it's now $132 for OW
"The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity"

Venezuela747
Topic Author

Thu Sep 01, 2005 6:49 am

Quoting Searpqx (Reply 14):

True...I donno why it showed $900......any one who know people down there and need to get out take advantage and get them out
ROLL TIDE!!!

iowaman

Thu Sep 01, 2005 6:53 am

Quoting Venezuela747 (Reply 15):
Quoting Searpqx (Reply 14):

True...I donno why it showed $900......any one who know people down there and need to get out take advantage and get them out

MSY will be closed for literally weeks if not months to commerical service. The flights you saw today that came in were to strictly drop of supplies and pick up anyone left in MSY.

Tornado82

Thu Sep 01, 2005 6:55 am

Quoting FlyingTexan (Reply 12):

That’s price gouging. The Louisiana Attorney General has set up a special toll free number to report such unethical, spineless practices.

Is it? Sept 9th is under a 2 week time frame from right now, what's the typical price on that route within a less than 2 weeks short notice? I realize you absolutely hate AA though, so I take your comments with a grain of salt.

EA CO AS

Thu Sep 01, 2005 6:58 am

It's not gouging - either there was a bug on the AA.com site or something else, but it's not gouging. Besides, AA's normal published rates in the DFW-MSY market are $400.00OW for unrestricted walkup Y, and $560.00OW for a walkup Y/UP F/C fare. If that $900.00 was roundtrip, it was probably unrestricted fares in Y and F put together.

But as others have said, all scheduled air service to and from MSY is suspended and won't be resuming for weeks, if not months.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

gipper913

Thu Sep 01, 2005 8:46 am

From the AA.com web site:

"New Orleans, LA (MSY) - The airport must be recertified by the FAA before commercial passenger flights can resume. American Airlines does not expect to operate flights to or from New Orleans until at least September 5 (subject to change)."

http://www.aa.com/apps/netSAAver/Vie...ry&itemDescriptor=PromotionContent
The size of the federal budget is not an appropriate barometer of social conscience or charitable concern. --R. Reagan

coair

Thu Sep 01, 2005 8:53 am

Feed just came out on daily news update that CO has discontinued service to MSY and GPT until further notice. The flights that were operating in and out of MSY were for relief efforts only.

bond007

Thu Sep 01, 2005 11:33 am

Yeah, Baton Rouge is the place where most of the stuff is going. Lots of airline and lifeguard biz traffic. A couple of FAA Be200's (N11 and N15) checking out ILSs and facilities no doubt.

Jimbo
I'd rather be on the ground wishing I was in the air, than in the air wishing I was on the ground!

Markdirk

Thu Sep 01, 2005 11:45 am

Spirit Airlines starts tomorrow with rescue flights as well, an MD-80, continuous flying for the next 6 days carrying refugees and supplies, I don't know all the details as of yet but I just got called out to work them. More details when and if I get to return home after the six days, our temporary base will be Baton Rouge, LA.

MoodyBlues

Thu Sep 01, 2005 11:53 am

The scroller on the bottom of CNN earlier stated that the MSY/ New Orleans aviation authorities had said that there would be no commercial flights into MSY for approximately 2 months.

Seems like a long time, but given the nature of this disaster, I can imagine that no one is going to visit New Orleans for a while, and if they did their presence would make matters only worse.

While it is true this was "self inflicted" in some ways by New Orleans, my heart goes out to all of those affected there, and in Mississippi and Alabama, and even W Florida. This looks like it is the worst natural disaster ever in recent history, and makes what we went through in Florida last year seem "lucky".

I said before the storm that I hoped it would not be like Galveston 1900 or West Palm Beach/Lake Okeechobee in 1928. I hope that it is not.
Southwest Airlines "A Symbol of Freedom"

lincoln

Thu Sep 01, 2005 12:01 pm

Nothing the Attorney General can do about it. American Airlines is a commercial airline certificated by the Department of Transportation and as such is covered by the Airline Deregulation Act, which among other thing prohibits states, political subdivisions of states, or an agency of two or more states from enacting any law or regulation having the force or effect of law affecting, regulating or specifying the "Rates, Routes, or Services of any commercial airline" (my wording may be slightly off -- forgive me, it has been a few months since I last read the ADA).

If true, it may be spineless (and others have pointed out that that's not the rate they were seeing) but not illegal or actionable.
CO Is My Airline of Choice || Baggage Claim is an airline's last chance to disappoint a customer || Next flts in profile

jetblueatjfk

Thu Sep 01, 2005 1:06 pm

Well this MSY closure business will sure put a big dent on cancellation rates for airlines. I know B6 rarely cancels flights and their rate was only .74%. Anyway it is good for airlines to do all that. I think airlines should fly planes in alot over the next couple days continuously to take all the people out. B6 already has a thing on their homepage to donate to the American Red Cross for Hurricane Katrina. Also everyday B6 pushes back the day when passengers can rebook with no fee their MSY flights until, now it is at rebook travel before OCTOBER 8, if they have plans for flights thru September 30. And so far B6 has flights cancelled through the 8th.

jetBlueAtJFK  

[Edited 2005-09-01 06:11:32]

trey

Thu Sep 01, 2005 5:00 pm

Quoting MoodyBlues (Reply 23):
While it is true this was "self inflicted" in some ways by New Orleans

you gotta be shitting me right? to bad the developers of the WTC self inflicted by not guaging the tower to handle a 767. sure wish that SF and LA were not built on a fault line. guess that would be self inflicted if earthquake comes.

Tornado82

Thu Sep 01, 2005 9:37 pm

Quoting Trey (Reply 26):
you gotta be shitting me right? to bad the developers of the WTC self inflicted by not guaging the tower to handle a 767. sure wish that SF and LA were not built on a fault line. guess that would be self inflicted if earthquake comes.

WTC wasn't in a "Hijacked plane zone," SF and LA are built to the best Earthquake prevention schemes our engineers can feasibly build (check the differences between the Northridge tornado and the Kobe? one in Japan about a decade ago.. no offense to our Japanese friends), but New Orleans, built below sea level, without adequate levees, in a hurricane/storm surge zone... that pretty much is self-infliction. None the less, our prayers still go out to the victims.

tockeyhockey

Fri Sep 02, 2005 12:31 am

Quoting Trey (Reply 26):

i have to agree with Tornado82. this kind of disaster was inevitable, and no one did anything to prepare for it. if you build your house next to a fireworks factory, you have to expect that your house might catch on fire. if you build a city below sea level, then destroy all the marshes around the city that act as buffers to hurricanes, then refuse to give the engineers the money they need to bring the levies up to the right size, you have to expect it would eventually flood.

this is just another example of mankind's poor planning leading to disaster.

qqflyboy

Fri Sep 02, 2005 12:48 am

Here's more on AA's first relief flight. The following is from Wednesday's Jetwire, AA's daily employee newsletter:

"Just hours after the FAA cleared one runway in MSY to accept emergency flights, an AA 757 loaded with 8,400 pounds of bottled water and non-perishable food landed to bring relief aid to some of the thousands of employees and customers dealing with the devastation of Hurricane Katrina. American was the first airline to conduct such a mission. The flight returned with employees, family members and as many stranded customers as possible.

"A company-wide relief effort is being organized in cooperation with FEMA authorities. A hotline has been established for MSY employees, who are urged to call and leave a message telling of their situation and contact information."
The views expressed are mine alone and do not necessarily reflect my employer’s views.

Junction

Fri Sep 02, 2005 12:50 am

Does anyone have any links to pictures of commercial aircraft in MSY since Katrina hit? The terminal seems unusable from other pictures, so I am guessing air stairs are in use for all these charter and extra section flights.

RobertS975

Fri Sep 02, 2005 12:59 am

Quoting Tockeyhockey (Reply 28):
i have to agree with Tornado82. this kind of disaster was inevitable, and no one did anything to prepare for it. if you build your house next to a fireworks factory, you have to expect that your house might catch on fire. if you build a city below sea level, then destroy all the marshes around the city that act as buffers to hurricanes, then refuse to give the engineers the money they need to bring the levies up to the right size, you have to expect it would eventually flood.

this is just another example of mankind's poor planning leading to disaster

This is the kind of disaster that we in America are really not accustomed to seeing. But in other areas of the world, typhoons which kill thousands, even tens of thousands, are not rare events. Bangladesh seems to get a storm surge event every couple of years!

The United States, indeed the Western nations in general, have been relatively immune to these kinds of disasters.

Tornado82

Fri Sep 02, 2005 3:41 am

If you build a house in the mountains, or ERI/BUF/CLE/MQT/MKG, etc areas.. you buy a snow blower, make sure you have good tires, 4wd, etc.

If you build a house in the OKC area... you're going to have a basement or some other type of storm shelter.

If you are on the Pacific coast... you build far enough from the waves/surge that comes with each Pacific storm slamming the coast in the rainy season.

If you build an airport in an area like SEA... you put in a Cat III ILS, as opposed to in a place like SAN where a LOC suffices.

Major cities further up the Mississippi have flood walls, sans Davenport, IA, and that's an important thing for them.

What did MSY have to protect it from the Mississippi and hurricanes? VERY little in relation.

And it's not like this is a great new revelation... prehistoric Indian tribes in NW Indiana/NE Illinois relocated on the other side of the Valparaiso Moraine in the Kankakee marsh area to avoid the cold snows/winds from Lake Michigan every winter. Indians before that walked the Bering Land bridge to a better climate/food hunting area back in the day, and look at native housing by location in the prehistoric eras as well. People adapted to the weather of their areas since the beginning of civilization... unfortunately MSY tried to get by with the near minimums in climate adaptations/protections in terms of levees, sea walls, evacuation plans, etc... and it caught up to them.

777wt

Fri Sep 02, 2005 4:58 am

Quoting Trey (Reply 26):

The plane of that time when the WTC was designed and starting to build, was the 707 and they did not factor the fuel damage in it.
A 767 wasn't known to them and it wasn't flying or around during that time.

nkops

Fri Sep 02, 2005 6:21 am

Quoting Markdirk (Reply 22):
Spirit Airlines starts tomorrow with rescue flights as well, an MD-80, continuous flying for the next 6 days carrying refugees and supplies, I don't know all the details as of yet but I just got called out to work them.

We will be doing flights between BTR-IAH I believe for the next 6 days. This is paid for by the government (FEMA I believe). I think taking folks to the Astrodome
Turn left heading 080 contact departure

FlyingTexan

Fri Sep 02, 2005 6:30 am

DFW-MSY on AA:

Y26 $400.00
F26 $510.00

They don’t have a published YUP in that market at this time. Guess the $900 was an error (or were you talking RT?).

Thank you for the info, Lincoln.

AA is allowing BTR, MSY, MOB, PNS, JAN, and VPS passengers ticketed 24 AUG thru 31 OCT to change no penalty up to 31 OCT. They are not giving refunds. One can have a ticket converted to a voucher, though.

roseflyer

Fri Sep 02, 2005 6:48 am

Quoting Tornado82 (Reply 32):
What did MSY have to protect it from the Mississippi and hurricanes? VERY little in relation

New Orleans definitely had infrastructure to protect itself from floods and hurricanes. It had a very complex and expensive set of levies and pumps to help prevent a disaster. The levies actually held up in the storm for 24 hours, but it was later flooding and lack of a response to the failing levy that resulted in the city being underwater. But a once in a lifetime storm came that they were hoping wouldn't. Look at this incomparison to your examples.

An F4 or F5 tornado will level any house in Oklahoma. It will tear the roof off of any house short of a concrete block. Katrina was in this range.

A maginitude 8 or 9 quake will do a lot of damage to a city like Seattle, Los Angeles or San Francisco. Those cities can handle some quakes, but if it gets to big, the city will fall. Fortunately the last really devastating quake was a the one in Anchorage.

If a big tsunami hit LA like the one in the Indian Ocean, then the city would go under. There is no protection along the coastal beaches. The wave would wipe out everything from Santa Barbara to San Diego.

Overall you can't blame the cities completely for this. Yes everyone knew that New Orleans was a possible troublespot. They could have survived a direct hit by a category 3 or less hurricane, but Katrina was almost as strong as they get at a category 4. We all live in disaster prone areas. Sure there could have been a 50 ft cement wall around the city, but no one would have paid for that. There are only some things that logically can be done to help protect us. It is just the way we deal with things in this country. People are more likely to spend 20 billion cleaning up after a mess than spend 2 billion to prevent it.

It is a good thing that the airlines are helping out in ways that they can. I applaud the people working hard to get these logistics worked out. Sure it is only a small dent in the level of need, but everything helps. If you can't help out directly with your own time or donations then help out with your consumerism. If Coca Cola donates a million gallons of bottled water to the relief effort, then go buy yourself a coke next time you are thirsty. Don't stand on a soap box and complain about what could have, would have or should have been done beforehand since it is not an option now. The airlines are doing what they can now to help people and should be commended for it.

Now let us support these airlines and remember the ones that helped out and reward them with your business!!

[Edited 2005-09-02 00:09:12]
If you have never designed an airplane part before, let the real designers do the work!

Tornado82

Fri Sep 02, 2005 7:02 am

Quoting RoseFlyer (Reply 36):

An F4 or F5 tornado will level any house in Oklahoma. It will tear the roof off of any house short of a concrete block. Katrina was in this range.

An F2 tornado will collapse most any house if it's a direct hit. What I said was basement or storm shelter/cellar... if you're completely underground you stand a VERY good chance of surviving an F5 even. Sure the house might be gone, but you're still alive if you heeded the warnings and hit the basement ahead of time. Look at the people surviving the F4 in Van Wert, OH in a movie theatre in '02, or the hundreds of survivors in the various OKC tornadoes in the past. Preparedness is key, and MSY was very poor at that. There should have been bussing set up to evacuate ALL residents, regardless of income and whatnot, because all signs pointed to total water inundation of the bowl-like geology that is New Orleans.

Quoting RoseFlyer (Reply 36):

New Orleans definitely had infrastructure to protect itself from floods and hurricanes. It had a very complex and expensive set of levies and pumps to help prevent a disaster. The levies actually held up in the storm for 24 hours, but it was later flooding and lack of a response to the failing levy that resulted in the city being underwater. But a once in a lifetime storm came that they were hoping wouldn't. Look at this incomparison to your examples.

Not one in a lifetime. Cat 4's are more common than that, and the pumping system had failed in some wards of the city (9?) long before the levees broke. Likewise, this wasn't even a direct hit. A landfalling hurricane is strongest on the right side of its eye... MSY was on the left. If New Orleans had been in the position where Mississippi is, that levee break would have been irrelevant as the storm surge would have submerged the city long before the levee broke. In reality, MSY has still never experienced that "Once in a lifetime" storm which would be the strong Cat 4/5 landfalling just west of the city, so that the right quadrant of the storm/eyewall passes over them, and yet they failed with what they did get. Everyone of us in the meteorological community knew that MSY was the most vulnerable city in the US, and as soon as we saw the strength/path of Katrina we just cringed knowing what the results would be. You can't get water back out of a bowl once it splashes over the tub and in to it... and it was accepted long ago that the pumps/levees would be overcome in a Cat 4/5 storm... which was inevitable, not "once in a lifetime." 50 foot walls would have been much LESS effective than just making sure the ENTIRE city was vacated, from the homeless guy at the corner all the way up to the mayor, it should have been abandoned to let the water have its will.

FlewGSW

Fri Sep 02, 2005 1:07 pm

All AA flight to/from MSY are cancelled through September 19. Check their web site and search for 19SEP. You get the response, "No flights were found."

LH423

Fri Sep 02, 2005 1:54 pm

Quoting Tornado82 (Reply 37):
Preparedness is key, and MSY was very poor at that. There should have been bussing set up to evacuate ALL residents, regardless of income and whatnot, because all signs pointed to total water inundation of the bowl-like geology that is New Orleans.

You're absolutely right! However, the main difference between New Orleans and building a storm shelter in your backyard is that the latter would cost you a few thousand dollars. The former was said to cost billions to raise the levees to protect the city from a category 4/5. No one was willing to pony up. Everyone knew that this could happen and, in all likelihood, was going to happen at some point. But as someone already said the mentality of Americans is rather than pay a large sum of money on the possibility of a disaster we'd rather pay an astronomical sum of money to clean up a disaster when it happens and then pay the money to have the necessary upgrades made after the fact.

But to say that New Orleans is at fault is neither here nor there at this point. Sure, being more proactive to get people who couldn't evacuate out of the city is debatable, it still wouldn't change the ultimate outcome that most of the city is in ruins.

LH423
« On ne voit bien qu'avec le cœur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux » Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

MAH4546

Fri Sep 02, 2005 2:39 pm

Quoting FlewGSW (Reply 38):
All AA flight to/from MSY are cancelled through September 19. Check their web site and search for 19SEP. You get the response, "No flights were found."

Indeed they are, though it is likely to be extended past that. Realisticlly, we are looking at mid-October at the earliest, and, even then, it will be on a reduced schedule to MIA/ORD/DFW. I have a feeling the STL/LGA/BOS flights won't be resuming in the near-term.

Also, sadly, but not surprisingly, I would expect American Eagle to suspend until futher notice the October 30th start date of Gulfport, Miss. service.

[Edited 2005-09-02 07:47:20]
a.

BigGSFO

Fri Sep 02, 2005 11:26 pm

Will BTR service be beefed up? It would seem it's proximity to MSY/GFT would be a suitable alternative to replace RJ's/props with more mainline to get people out of the area or to provide air service to the region.

stl1326

Fri Sep 02, 2005 11:55 pm

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 40):
Indeed they are, though it is likely to be extended past that. Realisticlly, we are looking at mid-October at the earliest, and, even then, it will be on a reduced schedule to MIA/ORD/DFW. I have a feeling the STL/LGA/BOS flights won't be resuming in the near-term.

Also, sadly, but not surprisingly, I would expect American Eagle to suspend until futher notice the October 30th start date of Gulfport, Miss. service.

What is AA going to do with those extra aircraft that will be out of service because of this?

squirrel83

Sat Sep 03, 2005 12:07 am

Just noticed that B6 9580 is expected to arrive at 11:37.
A346, 7E7, 747, 777, Sonic Cruiser

maiznblu_757

Sat Sep 03, 2005 12:31 am

Air Canada is flying an A321 from MSY to SKF.

FlightID: ACA7051
Filed With: KZHU - Houston, TX
Equipment: /A321/Q
Proposed Departure Time: 2:30:00 PM
Departing: MSY LOUIS ARMSTRONG NEW ORLEANS INTL
Destination: SKF LACKLAND AFB (KELLY FLD ANNEX)
Route of Flight: KMSY..TBDDP..LCH.J2.IAH..IDU.MARCS7.KSKF/0106
ETA: 2102
Speed: 0463
Altitude: 340

[Edited 2005-09-02 17:38:09]

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos