Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

LX23
Topic Author

Overbooked Flight On IB: What To Do?

Sat Sep 03, 2005 1:04 pm

Hello Everyone!

A family friend recently went from SJO to MAD on IB, and apparently her flight was overbooked. This is supposedly quite common on the SJO-MAD route, although I cannot verify this: does anyone have any real knowledge of this?

Anyhow, my flight is meant to be on the 18th, and I was just wondering what I could expect from IB in case the flight is indeed overbooked, considering that there is no "later flight" that day to be put on (My routing is SJO-MAD-LHR). Would the fact that I'm connecting rather than staying in MAD make it less likely that I would get bumped off the flight? Woud be interesting to see what standard procedures are in these cases. (Just on thing I want to make clear: I'm not complaining or whining...just want to know what I can expect).

usflt1778

RE: Overbooked Flight On IB: What To Do?

Sat Sep 03, 2005 1:18 pm

To avoid being denied travel on the flight, simply check-in early. If they are unable to find enough passengers willing to give up their seats voluntarily, they will normally just deny boarding (bump) the passengers that show up after the flight has checked in full.

Denied boarding compensation should be given according to the new EU rules. If you are denied boarding the airline must give you:

- a choice of either a refund of your ticket (with a free flight back to your intiial point of departure when relevant) or, alternative transport to your final destination and,
- refreshments, meals, hotel accommodation, transport between the airport and place of accommodation, two free telephone calls, telex or fax messages, (or e-mails); and compensation totalling 600 euro for flights over 3,500 km outside the EU

AlitaliaMD11

Sat Sep 03, 2005 2:16 pm

Iberia is always over booked in the summer seasons especially in August since Spaniards are traveling back to Spain after the summer.

I wouldn't worry to much about your flight on the 18th being over booked.

BTW checking in early doesn't always help. I flew Iberia on August 3rd from Madrid to New York and I checked in two/three hours before the flight rather then the 1 hour you need and I was still put on Stand By even though I had reserved seats.

Since you are checking in at SJO there might now be such a mess of people like at MAD.

Make sure you tell the check in people that you have a connecting flight onto LHR that sometimes helps insure that you will be on the flight.

I assume that you are flying on IB6312? It will be operated by the A340-600 on the 18th which is a great plane and it has a different economy interior then on the A340-300. I have personally experienced the newer economy class and find it to be superb. The seats are very comfortable with an ajustable head rest. Iberia has no PTV's as I am sure you know but they should show two movies on your flight on rather large LCD screens plus the great tail camrea! (I am not sure if they show it on night flights, but on landing it should be playing)

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Carlos A. Morillo Doria

No Vueling No Party

bullpitt

Sun Sep 04, 2005 5:18 am

Check in early does help to avoid getting bumped off. Just remember in MAD IB opens the flight 24h before departure so if you want to make sure your not affected by overbooking you should check in the day before.

Hope you have a good and smooth flight.
These are my principles but if you don't like them I have others

LX23
Topic Author

Sun Sep 04, 2005 12:57 pm

Thanks for your replies everyone.

USflt1778: Thanks for reminding me of the new EU laws. I don't know HOW I managed to forget about them!  banghead 

Bullpitt: I'm leaving from SJO, so checkin will DEFINITELY not be open 24hrs in advance hehe. I'll show up a bit earlier than the usual 2/3 hours just in case.

AlitaliaMd11:

Yup, I'll be on IB6312 (unless im one of those getting bumped off  ), and I really can't wait to fly on IB's A346. From your trip report, it sounds like they've finally improved economy class to something that is a bit easier on the traveller's bum 
SJO should be quite empty at that time (only 3 flights for the rest of the night), so it will certainly be less chaotic than MAD at rush hour. I certainly agree with what you said about checking in early - In 2003, I checked in 3.5 hours early for my IB flight from MAD to EZE, and I was bumped off it in the end. At least that time, I got put in Business on the next flight out, and I visited some friends in MAD meanwhile, so all in all it was worth it. We'll see what happens this time  

Any particular seats anyone would recommend on the A346?

[Edited 2005-09-04 05:59:37]

bullpitt

Mon Sep 05, 2005 5:48 am

The pilots seat is very good but if you can't get that try the one next to it.

Silly
These are my principles but if you don't like them I have others

LX23
Topic Author

Tue Sep 06, 2005 8:25 am

Quoting Bullpitt (Reply 5):
The pilots seat is very good but if you can't get that try the one next to it

I'll settle for the floor if its in the cockpit!  Silly

On a more serious note, IB6300 is showing as cancelled today (Monday, Sept 5 at 1723 SJO time) on the SJO airport website after last night's flight was delayed some 9 hrs on its way here and 4 hrs on its way back (Anyone have any info on this?). Im wondering if this is gona happen when its my turn to finally fly on the beast  irked . If it's cancelled, im sure im gona look something like this  hissyfit   cry 

AlitaliaMD11

Tue Sep 06, 2005 11:57 am

I had 29L which was pretty comfortable. I would try for 10 since it is the bulk row.

IB6300 was probably cancelled because of technical problems with the plane.

Usually at MAD the only Iberia A340s that overnight are being serviced so they probably could not get a replacment A340 for the flight. This means that tomorrows flight might be a A340-600 for loads.
No Vueling No Party

Fermarta

Tue Sep 06, 2005 5:46 pm

Flight IB6301 yesterday diverted to PTY. Scheduled to depart PTY-SJO at 1200 LT and then on to MAD as IB6300.

Flight IB6312 on Sunday delayed due to late arrival of aircraft (it went tech at MAD)
Otros vendrán que bueno te harán

LX23
Topic Author

Tue Sep 06, 2005 9:51 pm

Thanks for the info Fermarta. I wonder why it diverted to PTY. Either way, I'll see if I can go down to the airport and get a few pictures of her.

Fermarta

Tue Sep 06, 2005 10:06 pm

It shows as "Destination station (SJO) limits". Did you have bad weather yesterday?
Otros vendrán que bueno te harán

LX23
Topic Author

Wed Sep 07, 2005 3:10 am

not particularly no... Sunday was terrible, but monday was pretty normal.
it is now 1205, and this is what's showing on the SJO website

IB 6301 IBERIA PANAMA 6-Sep 12:05PM Retrazo indefinido

on the other hand, IB6311 should be arriving at 18.35 from GUA as usual.

I'm wondering if there was some problem with the A346

Icaro

Wed Sep 07, 2005 5:43 am

Try to get seats 22 ACJ or L. They are over the overwing exits and are the most spacious.

COPA737

Wed Sep 07, 2005 10:36 am

The IB6301 still here in Panama? I will see if I can get a photo of it.

Regards,

Felipe
Panamá Crece y Copa Airlines crece con Panamá!

LX23
Topic Author

Wed Sep 07, 2005 12:33 pm

Sorry COPA737, but it's gone already. I also wanted to get a few shots of it, but apparently it was only 1.5 hours late  Sad (on top of the day's delay). I've taken this from the IB website:

Información real
Vuelo: IB6300 / Martes, 06 de Septiembre de 2005

Panamá Ciudad - Tocumen Int'l (PTY)
Panamá Abandona puerta embarque 1250
Despega 1324
Avión retrasado (en horas minutos) : 0 h 50 min
Hora estimada de llegada a San José 1326

San José - Juan Santamaria Int'l (SJO)
Costa Rica Aterriza 1318
Aparca 1337
Abandona puerta embarque 1615
Despega 1645
Avión retrasado (en horas minutos) : 2 h 30 min
Hora estimada de llegada a Madrid 1105
--------------------------------------------------

Icaro: Thanks for the tip  bigthumbsup  Are you still flying this route, or have you switched to another one? Also, how would you compare working on the 346 vs the 343?

Icaro

Wed Sep 07, 2005 6:31 pm

Hi LX23,

I'm not flying this route in september, I have EZE,SJU,SCL and ORD all of them with A343.
We all prefer to work on the A343, it is shorter, the aisles in the 346 are loooong. Plus you have 52 J/C for 4 F/A's on the 346 versus 42 J/C on the 343.
In economy it is around 50 Y/C pax per F/A in both planes, but galleys and aisles are narrower on the 346.
So, give a 343 any day...  Wink

thowman

Wed Sep 07, 2005 6:43 pm

Having flown in both the A346 and A343 recently MAD-BOG-MAD, I'd vote for the A346 any day. The new business seats are far, far better than the old ones. The sooner they dusk the fleet the better as far as I am concerned.

I have no experience of the economy product long distance, but it is a shame they are not on the MAD-LHR route more often, only at the start and finish of school holidays.

A

COPA737

Thu Sep 08, 2005 2:26 am

LX23,

You live here in Panama??
Copa737
Panamá Crece y Copa Airlines crece con Panamá!

LX23
Topic Author

Thu Sep 08, 2005 3:20 am

Icaro:
Good luck on the SCL and EZE routes! On my way to SJO, I was talking to one of the F/As and she said that SCL was probably the worst route to work (I think she said it was IB's longest flight as well). Having personally experienced MAD-EZE, I'm sure that one isn't far behind in the "worst routes you can work" category

COPA737:

I'm visiting SJO at the moment. However, I've passed by PTY a few times.

[Edited 2005-09-07 20:21:07]

[Edited 2005-09-07 20:21:36]

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos