Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Tom in NO
Topic Author

MSY: This Place Looks Much Different

Wed Sep 07, 2005 11:38 am

First off, I made it back into Kenner yesterday morning without too much trouble, and found my house to have not been flooded by Katrina. We did lose fences on two sides, and a bit of roof damage. We have no power, and no water currently. We escaped much of the damage that occurred in other parts of New Orleans.

I'm basically living at the airport in my office for the time being, and working each waking hour.

MSY has turned into primarily a military operation. Scores of National Guard personnel, the 82nd Airborne, numerous medical staff are all here. The Forestry Service has set up an 18-wheeler that serves hot breakfasts and dinners and box lunches. People are camped out all throughout the terminal, and even down some concourses. Pictures are on the airport's website at http://www.flymsy.com.

The airport took quite a bit of damage, primarily wind damage, to numerous buildings, including the terminal. We are slowly getting electrical power restored to the airport. The terminal came back on line a few days ago, but most other facilities are operating off the numerous generators that were brought in. The airfield lighting is all in service, and I have heard that most, if not all, navaids are back in service.

We're still not sure when to expect commercial service to be restarted, but I'm starting to think that it might not actually be too long (based on vague thoughts, and assorted comments from others).

Thanks again to everybody for your thoughts and prayers during the hurricane, the rescue, and ongoing recovery.

Tom at MSY
"The criminal ineptitude makes you furious"-Bruce Springsteen, after seeing firsthand the damage from Hurricane Katrina

1MillionFlyer

RE: MSY: This Place Looks Much Different

Wed Sep 07, 2005 11:47 am

Hang in there Tom, glad to hear you are back safely.

Keep up the good work at MSY.
Golf Foxtrot you are cleared for departure

DCA-ROCguy

Wed Sep 07, 2005 12:30 pm

Good to hear from you, Tom. Prayers for you and everyone there continue. I for one draw some comfort in knowing that MSY is up and running, serving the relief effort. Keep up your good work!

Jim
Need a new airline paint scheme? Better call Saul! (Bass that is)

Checo77

Wed Sep 07, 2005 12:34 pm

Glad you are OK Tom. I was in New Orleans in winter 2003 and enjoyed it so much that it´s just heartbreaking to see all this damage. Just hang in there and help people who need it, I already made clothes and financial donation so I hope everybody will be OK there.
Long live New Orleans!!!!!!
Regards,
Adam
Czech Boeing lover living in Lima

flyboyaz

Wed Sep 07, 2005 12:37 pm

It's great to see that you are ok...and that your house is too! Good luck to you....take care of yourself!
Catch a ride on a smile!

redngold

Wed Sep 07, 2005 12:38 pm

Ted,

Thank you for the update. Please be safe in your home - keep boiling water and stock up on bug spray.

redngold
Up, up and away!

zippyjet

Wed Sep 07, 2005 1:05 pm

I lilke the rest of the A-Net family are really happy that things are looking brighter at MSY! A young lady named Wendy was in my FL training class back in March of '02. Since then, she switched to Customer Service out of MSY with DL. If any one knows Wendy, tell her we at FL send our love and best wishes. I feel MSY and for that matter the Big Easy will be back again. It may be a long and bumpy flight but you all will get get there!
I'm Zippyjet & I approve this message!

positiverate

Wed Sep 07, 2005 10:42 pm

Quoting HZ747300 (Reply 6):
Glad you are safe! Remember when shooting looters aim for center mass, it's much easier than a headshot.

Are you serious?

DAYflyer

Wed Sep 07, 2005 10:48 pm

Tom,

Glad to hear you are well. I pray that you and your family will have a safe time of it until llife gets back to "normal". Good to hear your home is ok as well.

Thank you for your efforts in assisting the recovery of the area.
One Nation Under God

N1120A

Wed Sep 07, 2005 11:15 pm

Glad all is well Tom. I am up in Boston right now. Can you do me a favor and check on the black BMW M3 on level 3A of short term with CA plates Big grin? Anyway bud, I hope your other baby, the airport recovers and is able to serve New Orleans in her rebirth as one of the greatest cities in the world.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

ctbarnes

Wed Sep 07, 2005 11:38 pm

Glad to hear from you, Tom. My continued prayers are with you, your employees, the refugees and the resuce workers.

Charles, SJ
The customer isn't a moron, she is your wife -David Ogilvy

BR715-A1-30

Wed Sep 07, 2005 11:52 pm

Tom, Good news to hear. I am glad you made it back, and your house did not suffer major damage. Keep in touch.
Puhdiddle

FlyingTexan

Thu Sep 08, 2005 12:05 am

Tom –

So good to get word from you. Best of luck in the coming weeks, months. Thank you for the update.
"Wouldn't your boss like to fly home nonstop at 4:30 on a Friday afternoon?" -Airline Exec to Congressional Staffer

mbm3

Thu Sep 08, 2005 12:30 am

Thank you for the update and best of luck in your efforts to restore MSY and your personal life.

Our thoughts and prayers are with you & I certainly look forward to revisiting Nawlins in the near future!
Let Me Tell You, Landing A 772ER Is Harder Than It Looks!

SWA TPA

Thu Sep 08, 2005 12:36 am

Tom-

Glad to hear your house suffered only minor damage considering what we have all seen on the news!
I am really suprised and happy to hear how well the airport is ALREADY doing.
Hopefully the rest of the city will come back just as quickly once they get the water out which it looks like they are doing a good job of!
Take care and best wishes there in MSY. Keep us posted!

SWA TPA
I believe I can fly.....

westindian425

Thu Sep 08, 2005 12:48 am

Glad you're alright, Tom! Let us A-netters know if there is anyway we can help you, sir. God bless.

Neil
God did not create aircraft pilots to be on the ground

ANCFlyer

Thu Sep 08, 2005 1:34 am

Glad you're well, glad your family is safe.

Anything we can do from Alaska, let us know. . . . .

Thanks! Hang in there!
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

Tan Flyr

Thu Sep 08, 2005 2:00 am

From the San Joaquin Valley..Glad to hear you are OK as well as family.

Our prayers are with you and all the others in LA, MS, & AL.

Hang in there amigo!

swatpamike

Thu Sep 08, 2005 2:04 am

Hey Tom

Glad to here you and family are well. Hurry up and get MSY open.  Smile Although I don't miss loading 2540 & 2372 everyday.  Smile

Cheers

swatpamike

DB777

Thu Sep 08, 2005 2:05 am

Welcome back to your airport and a hell of a lot of work. Glad to hear your home wasn't extensively damaged.

Don
Photographing aircraft since the Earth was flat and on Airliners.net since #338

FlyBoy84

Thu Sep 08, 2005 2:10 am

Glad you are OK!

I have visited the Big Easy twice and enjoyed it much more than I expected to. I was hoping to visit my favorite steak restaurant which is in the French Quarter next year (can't remember the name), but it looks like that won't be happening.

I have a cousin who's been down there, and a friend in Houston who has been down to the Houston Convention Center. I've told them that the real challenge is not now, but in the months and years that lie ahead when people on the out side looking in decide that it's time to get on with their lives. For them, it's easy to say, "I'm tired of hearing about New Orleans and the Gulf Coast" six months...a year from now. but those who have to live with the tragedy living in shelters and in strange surroundings, they can't simply shrug it off. they have to live with it for the rest of their lives.

Ponder it.

ltbewr

Thu Sep 08, 2005 2:27 am

Thank God you, your family is alive and well and your home survived the storm intact. Hope you can get power, clean water back soon. I have seen what flooding does a couple of times in my life in my hometown area, and somehow, those areas do come back.
I hope you get lots of O.T. pay for all the work you will have to do for the next many months - and there seems to be a lot to happen yet.
I am surprised that the airport was usable to regular aircraft only a couple of days after the hurricane. I do suspect that MSY will not have regular commercial service for a while. Maybe they will have to do what CO Micronesia did when they served an island in the South Pacific owned by the US military. One had to have special permission from the US Military to disembark there. For the next 3 or so months, perhaps limit access to MSY to only government, FEMA, military, business recovery people with specific needs. After 3 or so months, limited commercial flights allowed in mainly for long term recovery and for an airport for the region's survivors, so they won't have to go to Houston.

Tom in NO
Topic Author

Thu Sep 08, 2005 10:01 am

I've been matched up with the 82nd Airborne Division most of the day dealing with space allocation issues. Also beginning to deal with roofing repairs issues, primarily the large one at the entrance to concourse C:
http://www.flymsy.com/images/Katrina/DSC00554.JPG

Quoting LTBEWR (Reply 21):
I hope you get lots of O.T. pay for all the work you will have to do for the next many months

Don't I wish!!! I'm on salary. It's not all bad, though. We are getting free room and board here  wink  (comes from the living in my office and working every waking minute bit).

Tom at MSY
"The criminal ineptitude makes you furious"-Bruce Springsteen, after seeing firsthand the damage from Hurricane Katrina

Aloha717200

Thu Sep 08, 2005 10:10 am

I'm REALLY glad that you are okay, Tom, and that your house was not destroyed. You are really lucky.

Okie

Thu Sep 08, 2005 10:18 am

Glad to see you made it. I am glad you are OK

Just borrow one of those generators and take it home with you when they get MSY powered up, you could be the hit of the whole neighborhood.

Okie

FlewGSW

Thu Sep 08, 2005 10:51 am

Glad to hear y'all are OK.

Just a note below from AA today:

ISSUED ON WEDNESDAY, SEPTEMBER 7, 2005 AT 9:00AM CDT.
DUE TO THE CONTINUING CIRCUMSTANCES IN MSY, FURTHER SCHEDULE ACTION IS NOW BEING TAKEN.
ALL MSY SERVICE HAD BEEN CANCELLED THRU SEP 19.
CANCELLATIONS WILL NOW EXTEND THRU OCT31.
IN ADDITION, AA WILL ADD 3 DFW-BTR ROUNDTRIP SERVICES TO PROVIDE
EXTRA LIFT TO THE REGION WHILE MSY IS CLOSED.

KROC

Fri Sep 09, 2005 1:20 am

Good to hear you're okay Tom and that your house faired decently. Keep up the good work and keep us up to date.

Tom in NO
Topic Author

Fri Sep 09, 2005 2:07 am

I'm scheduled for a helicopter ride over New Orleans this afternoon. Should be quite interesting.

Tom at MSY

ScarletHarlot

Fri Sep 09, 2005 2:35 am

Hey Tom, I'm glad to hear that your place didn't do too badly and that you're doing okay. It's very selfless of you to work so hard on getting the airport back up and running. You're a good guy.  Smile

I am sure we'll all be interested in hearing your observations from the helicopter flight. Please keep us posted.
But that was when I ruled the world

Traindriver

Fri Sep 09, 2005 3:01 am

Tom,
Glad to hear you guys made it through with minimal damage. Over here
by MLB we had our share of troubles with Frances and Jeanne last year,
and now we're keeping our eye on Ophelia. That said, it doesn't slightly
compare to what your area is going through now. Keep up the good work
at MSY. It's the dedication of people like you and others in the airline
industry like are making a difference. I'm praying that the area can make a
speedy recovery and people can start getting their lives back to normal.
Thanks for the informative post, and good luck.

TPASXM787

Fri Sep 09, 2005 3:53 am

Tom,

Glad everything is ok!

Keep up the good work down there...we're all behind you!
This is the Last Stop.

PlaneFreaknATL

Fri Sep 09, 2005 3:55 am

Quoting Tom in NO (Thread starter):
We're still not sure when to expect commercial service to be restarted, but I'm starting to think that it might not actually be too long (based on vague thoughts, and assorted comments from others).

Hey Tom -

From what I understand, operations are suspended through Sept 18th.
However, the airlines are taking reservations beyond that. I just booked w/ Delta for Thurs 09/22 into New Orleans, returning Mon 09/26. I'm interested to see if it will be open for commercial traffic by then. Have you or anyone else for that matter by chance heard anything?

PITA333

Fri Sep 09, 2005 4:02 am

Tom,
Glad that everything is ok and that your house is in decent shape. Good luck with all of your repairs at home and at the airport.

Regards,
PITA333

Tom in NO
Topic Author

Fri Sep 09, 2005 10:37 am

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos