Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

SNATH
Topic Author

Greek Radio: Olympic Is Shutting Down This Wed

Mon Sep 12, 2005 2:51 am

I just talked with my parents, who are in Greece. Apparently, it's been reported on Greek radio that Olympic is shutting down this Wed for good. For all their faults, I do actually have some good memories of flying them. Very sad news.  cry 

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Radoslaw Idaszak

I looked for an online source, but I can't find one. I'll post this, trusting that my mum wouldn't lie to me...

If anyone has more info, please share.

Tony
Nikon: we don't want more pixels, we want better pixels.

swissgabe

RE: Greek Radio: Olympic Is Shutting Down This Wed

Mon Sep 12, 2005 3:29 am

It would be very sad to see another major airline grounded.
Has Olympic been privatized or is it still government owned?
Smooth as silk - Royal Orchid Service /// Suid-Afrikaanse Lugdiens - Springbok

Beaucaire

Mon Sep 12, 2005 3:33 am

That's the best thing that could happen to Olympic - restart a "new olympic"
with those who really want the airline to succeed and who really want to work.Too much trade union crap and un-motivated staff within the group.
Copy SN -Brussels airline -they do quite well now ,start becomming profitable and focus on what they do best.
Same thing would be possible in Greece - but with a very strong focus on difference through "great service with a smile " concept !
Good luck to the new Olympic...
Please respect animals - don't eat them...

Aeroflot777

Mon Sep 12, 2005 3:42 am

It seems that Olympic doesn't even have a website....

Aeroflot777

Stoicescu

Mon Sep 12, 2005 3:43 am

At this moment Greek government still has the majority 51% and the rest is owned by Macedonian Airlines. It won't actually shut down but they will will try to privatize the company.
Basically is the same thing that was done with Swiss Airlines
Here is some more information

All my respect,
Stoicescu

[Edited 2005-09-11 20:45:25]

Beaucaire

Mon Sep 12, 2005 3:45 am

Quoting Aeroflot777 (Reply 3):
It seems that Olympic doesn't even have a website....

http://www.olympicairlines.com/
Please respect animals - don't eat them...

cambrian

Mon Sep 12, 2005 3:53 am

I hope that they survive or are reborn in some shape or form. I have fond memories of flying their A300's and A340's between Athens and London- really great to fly widebody aircraft within Europe, and the food and service in business class was very good.

From the passenger's point of view, OA had some rough edges, but at least it is an airline that reflects its home country and their colours are one of the best to grace an A340.

Also their home airport of Athens has to be one of the best in Europe!

PanAm747

Mon Sep 12, 2005 5:21 am

Recently, a fellow teacher at my school (full-blooded Greek) took a trip to visit her family in Greece. She needed my assistance with schedules to Greece, and I was happy to find all the times and flight numbers for her.

After much difficulty, I was finally able to log on to the Olympic Airlines website. I copied the schedules for Athens-Channia, Channia-Thessaloniki, and Thessaloniki-Athens for her. She says it's cheaper to buy the tickets there in Greece (I will take her word for it).

Her relatives were extraordinarily impressed with her preparation; however, they absolutely REFUSED to allow her to even consider flying Olympic Airlines. When more than one resident says that, and I quote, "it is THE most unreliable thing in all of Greece", you know the end has to be near.

In the end, there was more than one option. She ended up flying with Aegean Airlines, which, being privately owned, was fast, efficient, friendly, and on-time. Never will she consider Olympic ever again.

Sad to say, Olympic may need to die. I loathe the thought of putting so many people out of work, but perhaps it is best if private carriers (who will run the company responsibly!) divide up the prizes and pick up the employees that were laid off. State run airlines need to go the way of the dinosaur - either they adapt, or the money pit they have become will collapse them on the weight of their own bureaucracy.
Pan Am:The World's Most Experienced Airline - P(oor) S(ailor's) A(irline): San Diego's Hometown Airline-Catch Our Smile!

iakobos

Mon Sep 12, 2005 5:22 am

Quoting SNATH (Thread starter):
Apparently, it's been reported on Greek radio that Olympic is shutting down this Wed for good

Nothing such.
What will happen on Wednesday is that the results of the EU investigation on (illegal) state subsidies will be completed and made public.
Basically it will be be known how much of the reported 437million in debts (560m$) was found "illegally" financed and consequently of how much the state coffers will feel lighter.
The EU might also rule that the spin off of OAirways (into OAirline and other units) was illegal.

The "window of opportunity" (OA and others being bought by OInvestors/York Capital) is extremely small.

OA is bleeding at a rate of 10mE/month...

ARCJET

Mon Sep 12, 2005 6:55 am

I flew Olympic from JFK to ATH on to TLV and then from CAI to ATH back to JFK in 2000. The service was OK and operated on-time.
Charleston, SC

MidnightMike

Mon Sep 12, 2005 7:10 am

That's a shame, I was looking forward to see the Olympic Chief Pilot at the beginning of October, if you guys hear of anything, please post it....

Mike
NO URLS in signature

flanker

Mon Sep 12, 2005 8:01 am

ah man that sucks. i liked seeing them.

semsem

Mon Sep 12, 2005 8:12 am

First flew Olympic in the early 1960s on a Comet 4 from Athens to London with a stop in Paris. Also from Athens to New York via Paris on a B707 in the early 1970s. They always had very good food. But their crews were sometimes not too friendly.

JFK998

Mon Sep 12, 2005 9:10 am

That is very very sad. However there may be a light at the end of this dark tunnel for OA. This is, as Beaucaire said, a chance at starting a new Olympic. They have needed that for a long time. If you travel on OA to any other country than Greece, you'll find that 99 out of 100 times there is a extremely long lay over in Athens. This may be the chance to restart with a new look, improved schedules and so on. God bless all those at OA who will be out of a job, and good luck!

stirling

Mon Sep 12, 2005 11:58 am

I'm glad this topic came up....especially this comment:

Quoting PanAm747 (Reply 7):
Aegean Airlines, which, being privately owned, was fast, efficient, friendly, and on-time.

Because I was looking for some travel options withing Greece, and came upon this information listed on the AEGEAN webpage concerning airlines they have interline agreements with:

USA
Avianca Airlines
Cubana Airlines
Delta Airlines
Varig
TAM Linhas Aereas
US Airways

See, it wasn't worth posting a new topic over, but kinda funny all the same!

Don't Tell Castro, but The Bush Boys have annexed Cuba into Florida!
Delete this User

rootsair

Mon Sep 12, 2005 3:36 pm

Airlines formed from a defunct one such as Swiss or SN seem to have a name closely related to their predecessor. So what's the new name for Olympic Airlines

My thoughts:

Olympic Airways
OA Athens airways
Olympia
IOC Airways
Greek Airways
Sirtaki Airlines
A man without the knowledge of his past history,culture and origins is like a tree without roots

SXFAN

Mon Sep 12, 2005 3:50 pm

Hello Guys!
My predictions several months ago are becoming true. As I wrote then, Olympic could only "survive" during the summer period in order for Mr Avramopoulos to present to the Greek public a better figure in Incoming tourists and then during September or mid October the airline will become a bitter story of the past. Indeed OA is the most unreliable organization in Greece and it needs replacement by a new airline that will invest on the long haul sector of flights from ATH and SKG to the U.S - Canada - S. Africa and Australia. Aegean has the infrastructure to fill the gap on the European and domestic market and eventhough Hellas Jet is not operating currently any flights it may restart operations at any time.
Regards
Vasilis.

Orion737

Mon Sep 12, 2005 8:34 pm

I hope Olympic survives. If the Greek goverment have helped out their flag carrier, good on them, I say! They are protecting jobs and a proud national carrier.

The EU should keeps its nose out!!

iakobos

Mon Sep 12, 2005 8:43 pm

Quoting Orion737 (Reply 17):

Bad call brother.
It is my money and that of the other citizens of this country that is used to fill the huge gaps at OA....and the pockets of some...for the last 31 years (10 in my case).
Enough is enough, sell it or bring it down.

cornish

Mon Sep 12, 2005 8:47 pm

Quoting Orion737 (Reply 17):
hope Olympic survives. If the Greek goverment have helped out their flag carrier, good on them, I say! They are protecting jobs and a proud national carrier.

Quoting Iakobos (Reply 18):
Bad call brother.
It is my money and that of the other citizens of this country that is used to fill the huge gaps at OA....and the pockets of some...for the last 31 years (10 in my case).
Enough is enough, sell it or bring it down.

Exactly Iakobos - and also it affects the likes of Aegean who also provide jobs in Greece and yet have to try to compete against Olympic on a far from level playing field. not to mention other carriers on routes to and from Greece.

I'm sure if you asked Greek people there are much more deserving causes for taxpayers money than a struggling airline.
Just when I thought I could see light at the end of the tunnel, it was some B*****d with a torch bringing me more work

Orion737

Mon Sep 12, 2005 8:51 pm

Really lakobus? What about the belgian goverment bailing out Sabena for year after year after year? was that ok with you?

The EU interferes in what should be national goverment decisions, taken by the goverments of each memeber state. If the Greek goverment wants to aid Olmpic they should be allowed to do so.

Bruxelles, look in your own back yard before criticising other goverments for doing what you did with Sabena for years!

Sabena 690

Mon Sep 12, 2005 9:24 pm

Orion737: so it is OK for you that, only to give an example, Olympic is able to undercut every BA fare between LHR and ATH, simply because the taxpayer fills the gap anyway? This is what I call unfair competition.

And the example of Sabena doesn't make any sense anymore, as Sabena is bankrupt. By the way: we are talking about 'now', the present. Not the past. Fact is: no illegal financial support anymore. Full stop.

Orion737

Mon Sep 12, 2005 9:27 pm

I find it a bit rich that a Belgian can complain about the Greek goverment propping up a failing carrier when the Belgian goverment did the same with Sabena for years and years and years! and would still be doing it today if the EU hadnt put an end to it.

I cant help thinking its sour grapes. The EU wouldnt let us belgians save Sabena so Olympic must die too!

cornish

Mon Sep 12, 2005 9:40 pm

Quoting Orion737 (Reply 22):
I find it a bit rich that a Belgian can complain about the Greek goverment propping up a failing carrier when the Belgian goverment did the same with Sabena for years and years and years! and would still be doing it today if the EU hadnt put an end to it.

Err I didn't see Iakobos (who sounds decidedly Greek to me) nor Sabena 690 say that they were happy about Sabena getting bailed out in the past. But you've just assumed that they are only moaning about this because it is happening in Greece.

They are talking about the present, but you've decided that their comments aren't worthwhile because they just happen to have Belgian flags next to their names.

Shame on you - i take it you won't listen to opinions on this from Italians, Spaniards, French or Irish either then......
Just when I thought I could see light at the end of the tunnel, it was some B*****d with a torch bringing me more work

7LBAC111

Mon Sep 12, 2005 9:44 pm

Ah Orion. As pointlessly reliable as ever...

Sabena were closed. The financing was stopped by the EU. This applied across the board, and is the same now. Its got f**k all to do with sour grapes, and more about the realisation that governments cannot pour endless amounts of taxc payers money into a failing carrier.

If you actually PAID TAX Orion, would you like to see the government spend millions on BA, to the detriment of other services, such as education, health or defense?

7LBAC111
Debate is what you put on de hook when you want to catch de fish.

cornish

Mon Sep 12, 2005 9:50 pm

And not to mention that the Greek tax payer has enough on their plate post Olympics......

Orion737

Mon Sep 12, 2005 9:50 pm

I would not like to see the national carrier of my country go down the pan. I would hope that measures would be taken by the goverment to save the airline. Not only for the sake of the jobs but also the huge contribution a national carrier makes to the economy of the country.

cornish

Mon Sep 12, 2005 9:53 pm

Quoting Orion737 (Reply 26):
Not only for the sake of the jobs but also the huge contribution a national carrier makes to the economy of the country.

Olympics losses are more of a burden than a contribution though. and the unions won't allow any modernising or streamlining of the business to make it successful.

7LBAC111

Mon Sep 12, 2005 9:55 pm

Quoting Orion737 (Reply 26):
Not only for the sake of the jobs but also the huge contribution a national carrier makes to the economy of the country

How can a struggling business, haemorraging money like Olympic benefit the Greek economy if simultaneously it is costing thr government to keep it afloat.?

Surely, any loss of air service would be quickly restored by new carriers?

7LBAC111

[email protected]

Mon Sep 12, 2005 10:02 pm

Governments should not fund enterprises like airlines. They should be privately owned and treated as a 'proper' businesses. If they run into difficulty, financial or otherwise, they should act themselves to try to remedy the situation. They should not use public money, even though people may become jobless and the economy may, to varying degree, become affected. The rationale behind this is: where on earth do you stop? A two-person corner-shop is thinking about shutting due to financial difficulty. Should the state fund that operation to keep it alive?
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

lexer

Mon Sep 12, 2005 10:04 pm

This national sentiment and proud of a national airline as a flying national billboard is exactly what is preventing rational economic policies to get off the ground. Badly run carriers should be allowed to perish, others will take their place, more efficiently and providing better services.

In the EU, national sentiments favouring national carriers is what is keeping airlines like Alitalia and Olympic flying, and has helped Air France tremendously in the past when they were bailed out - even though they got their house in order since then.

It's not really employment which is at stake, airlines will always fly. The ownership may change though.

L.

Orion737

Mon Sep 12, 2005 10:07 pm

I suppose my nationalistic approach is very old Labour! I hope Olympic survives though. The effect on Greek tourism and industry would be significant if the national carrier was allowed to fold.

Transport links to the islands and their communtities is also a very important part of Olmpics work. It is an airline with social obligations as well as financial.

cornish

Mon Sep 12, 2005 10:09 pm

Quoting [email protected] (Reply 29):
They should be privately owned and treated as a 'proper' businesses. If they run into difficulty, financial or otherwise, they should act themselves to try to remedy the situation. They should not use public money, even though people may become jobless and the economy may, to varying degree, become affected.

And don't forget that due to unfair subsidies, this may affect the likes of privately run companies such as Aegean Airlines, potentially, at worst case putting 2000 employees there out of jobs should they be unable to compete on an unfair playing field.

cornish

Mon Sep 12, 2005 10:12 pm

Quoting Lexer (Reply 30):
This national sentiment and proud of a national airline as a flying national billboard is exactly what is preventing rational economic policies to get off the ground. Badly run carriers should be allowed to perish, others will take their place, more efficiently and providing better services.

In the EU, national sentiments favouring national carriers is what is keeping airlines like Alitalia and Olympic flying, and has helped Air France tremendously in the past when they were bailed out - even though they got their house in order since then.

And from an Italian who knows at first hand what it is like to see his taxes diverted to fund a national carrier that will not restructure for the better, this is probably the most valid post in the thread so far.

Orion737

Mon Sep 12, 2005 10:17 pm

Not only would the collapse of Olympic impact significantly on Greek industry and tousism but vital air links within greece, particularly those connecting the smaller, remote islands with Athens would be at risk.

Olympic is an airline with social obligations and its air links are vital for the outlying Islands.

cornish

Mon Sep 12, 2005 10:21 pm

Quoting Orion737 (Reply 34):
Not only would the collapse of Olympic impact significantly on Greek industry and tousism but vital air links within greece, particularly those connecting the smaller, remote islands with Athens would be at risk.

Which are PSO flights funded by the government- they'd just get contracted out to another airline, such as Aegean.

Not only would the collapse of Olympic impact significantly on Greek industry and tousism

Can you elaborate further?? Tourism ? Well the bulk of tourists to Greece come by charter flight, not on Olympic. Greek Industry? Can you please give some real economic arguements or examples where this might be the case

aireuropeuk733

Mon Sep 12, 2005 10:22 pm

Olympic is an airline with social obligations and its air links are vital for the outlying Islands.

But should Olympic be allowed to fail other carriers would quickly jump in (especially the social obligation routes as cash would come from the Government) and proabably make a better go of it.

It's not as if Olympic is suffering due to a single carrier or aggresive marketing by a competitor, it's problems mainly stem from it's workforce who are betting that the Greek government will keep bailing it out. Maybe it's about time the Government should call it's bluff!

AE733
It's nice to fly with friends

SNATH
Topic Author

Mon Sep 12, 2005 10:23 pm

Link (in Greek, sorry!) from the Greek newspaper Ta Nea (translation: The News):

http://ta-nea.dolnet.gr/print_article.php?e=A&f=18337&m=N13&aa=2

The article indicates that, if OA is fined this coming Wed (which is very likely), it will most likely close down. This could happen even next week. The Greek prime minister promised its staff that they will remain government employees and he will find jobs for them somewhere else (right, good luck...). Another interesting issue is that, if the fine is substantial, as it will likely be, it might put off all the potential investors.

So, sadly, my original post was not that far away from the truth.

Tony
Nikon: we don't want more pixels, we want better pixels.

lexer

Mon Sep 12, 2005 10:24 pm

Orion, the point is not social services to Islands or the influx of tourism, these services would be replaced, perhaps with some delays and nuisance, but there you are.

As we speak we have another thread about Aegean ordering new planes and expanding operations, undoubtedly on a healthier cost base and only illustrating the point that a healthy airline would replace a dysfunctional one. At the end of the day, it's about how economic resources are allocated most efficiently to the benefit of the entire country.

I do agree that some island services may have to be subsidized, but even this could be done competitively, e.g. through annual tenders/concessions to private airlines with partial government support.

And Cornish..thank you, but DO NOT get me started on the topic of Alitalia Smile

Orion737

Mon Sep 12, 2005 10:27 pm

Although majority of tourists to greece arrive on charter/IT flights. This is primarily Summer tourism. Olympic operates services year round not just May-Oct like foreign charter carriers.

Olympic fulfills an important role in making Greece accesible throughout the year and carries visitors in winter on short breaks to Athens, Thessaloniki and transports some holidaymakers for out of season breaks to the Greek Isles. Without Olympic, much of this 'independant, higher spend' tourism would be lost!

7LBAC111

Mon Sep 12, 2005 10:33 pm

Olympic is an airline with social obligations and its air links are vital for the outlying Islands

Quoting Orion737 (Reply 31):
Transport links to the islands and their communtities is also a very important part of Olmpics work. It is an airline with social obligations as well as financial.

You say it twice but still I dont understand how any airline, or business for that matter, as any social obligations. An airline is operated for profit, not because they are obliged to.

Agreed, a certain amount of feed into ATH is necessary from the islands, but, as Cornish says, other carriers should be allowed to compete for this business, fairly.

Perhaps Aegeans order for 20 A320's is a prelude to all of this?

7LBAC111

cornish

Mon Sep 12, 2005 10:40 pm

Quoting Orion737 (Reply 39):
Olympic fulfills an important role in making Greece accesible throughout the year and carries visitors in winter on short breaks to Athens, Thessaloniki and transports some holidaymakers for out of season breaks to the Greek Isles. Without Olympic, much of this 'independant, higher spend' tourism would be lost!

So Aegean doesn't do this? - nor AF, LH, BA, LX, OS, etc etc.

And easyJet doesn't carry a fair number of weekend break passengers to Athens then?

Quoting Orion737 (Reply 39):
Olympic operates services year round not just May-Oct like foreign charter carriers.

I think you'll find plenty who operate all year round.

What you have said is very nice, but please provide some figures to back up this argument. like this:

Athens Airport alone handled 13.6 milion passengers in 2004. Olympic carried only 5.8 million for ALL of its routes, not just Athens. so at most it is providing probably a third of the traffic into Athens and falling. not really very much for a national carrier.

If you also looked more carefully you'd realise that Olympic flies little more out of Thessalonika than Aegean - and all the routes are primarily to Germany for VFR and business traffic - where its flights are pretty well matched by Aegean. "High end" visitors from other countries tend to be flying there on foreign carriers.

Also look at the flights that Aegean are operating to many smaller Greek desitintions from Thessalonika for instance - its not just Olympic that provide this much needed service for the domestic communities.

But as many have said, and you are not listening to - other carriers will take up this traffic should Olympic disappear. Aegean's order for new planes highlights this - look at the options they have for extra aircraft.

Orion737

Mon Sep 12, 2005 10:59 pm

I still recognise the important part Olympic has played in developing tourism within Greece. Not only carrying passengers in its own right but supporting other carriers, both charter and scheduled through its ground handling, catering etc.

Effective though Aegean is, I think Olympics dissapearance from the Greek transport scene would have a tremendous impact, not only on Greek industry but also on peoples way of life. Many Islanders view lympics air links as lifelines and although Aegean is increasing its services, Olympic is still very much at the fore of providing inter island connections.

7LBAC111

Mon Sep 12, 2005 11:08 pm

Quoting Orion737 (Reply 42):
Olympic is still very much at the fore of providing inter island connections.

The forefront?? Didnt you read this thread?

Quoting PanAm747 (Reply 7):
however, they absolutely REFUSED to allow her to even consider flying Olympic Airlines. When more than one resident says that, and I quote, "it is THE most unreliable thing in all of Greece", you know the end has to be near.

Aegean will fill this void, albeit with a little inconvenience in the short term.

7LBAC111

cornish

Mon Sep 12, 2005 11:13 pm

Quoting Orion737 (Reply 42):
Many Islanders view lympics air links as lifelines and although Aegean is increasing its services, Olympic is still very much at the fore of providing inter island connections.

Yes because the government pays them to do it through PSO flights. Otherwise they wouldn't fly half the routes they currently do. and if Olympic disappeared then the govt would pay another airline in the same way.

FRACO7X

Mon Sep 12, 2005 11:50 pm

Sorry but I can not hear those discussions anymore. This airline has to be closed. Olympic is costing a hell of money to the country even though it would be needed for something else.
Of course a lot of people would lose their jobs but most of those who are qualified in the aviation business would find a new job.

Orion737

Mon Sep 12, 2005 11:54 pm

I hope the Olympic flame never dies! I may not be Greek but I would miss Olympic. Do any of you Greeks not feel a sense of patriotism towards your flag carrier?

FRACO7X

Tue Sep 13, 2005 12:00 am

How can any Greek be proud of such a bad managed airline?

I´m more proud of a Greek airline like Aegean.

Btw - I find it somehow misplaced to talk nowadays about flag carriers.

[Edited 2005-09-12 17:02:09]

cornish

Tue Sep 13, 2005 12:00 am

Quoting Orion737 (Reply 46):
Do any of you Greeks not feel a sense of patriotism towards your flag carrier?

Its easy to be patriotic towards a money burning flag carrier if you don't pay taxes  Wink

Orion737

Tue Sep 13, 2005 12:10 am

Unfortunatley taxes are always mismanaged and wasted. Look at the money that has been poured into the NHS, yet hospitals are filthy and one cant get a dentist on the NHS for love nor money.

Perhaps if we really want to pour oil on to Olympics troubled waters we should get new Labour to form a select commitee and try and help them.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos