Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

joeljack
Topic Author

United Fare Basis Codes: Please Help

Tue Sep 13, 2005 11:12 am

After flying quite often, I have become pretty familiar with United's Fare Codes. I need some help putting together some of the missing pieces. Here is what I have figured out:

F: first class
C: business class
Y,B,M,E,U,H,Q,V,W,S,T: united economy fare bookable on united.com, expedia, travelocity, orbitz, etc (standard booking tools) Y most expensive and most flexible to T being most discounted and hardest to come by.

Award Travel (I don't know if these are right):
N: Saver Economy
R: Saver First Class
X: Standard First Class
I: Standard Business Class
O: Saver Business Class

Other Discounted fares:
K: ?????
L: Hotwire fares? can't accrue miles on star alliance partners for these united flights
G: ????? - can't accrue miles on star alliance partners for these united flights
How do you book this fare?
A: discounted first (united.com, etc)
P: discount first (don't know how to book this fare)
d: discounted business
z: ???? (this one is really weird) appears their are weird restrictions with this one.

I would like to know how these fare codes are booked: K,G,A,P,D,Z

If there are other booking codes, I would like to know about them. Any additional information regarding a breakdown of how all the booking codes are booked and any restrictions applying to the different codes would be helpful.

Thanks ahead of time.

jetBlue

RE: United Fare Basis Codes: Please Help

Tue Sep 13, 2005 3:34 pm

The award booking codes listed above are incorrect. The completely free mileage tickets are booked in "XY" "XC" or "XF" classes, based on what class the award is for. If you upgrade from a revenue Y ticket to first class, say, with E-upgrades, then you are booked in "NF."

Basically, the award tickets have an X, and upgraded revenue tickets have an N before the class of service.

From my understanding, Hotwire and Priceline type tickets do not always necessarily have one particular booking code.

jetBlue
We know for you it's not just a seat on a flight to a place. It's a seat on a flight to your life.

jaybird

Tue Sep 13, 2005 4:42 pm

"A" is a discounted first class fare available in some domestic markets (most?). It's generally a one-way fare, tho United has at times in the past offered round-trip discounted first class fares in "A."

"D" is a discounted business class fare available in international markets.

Also, just because an airline shows inventory available in a booking class it does not mean there is a corresponding fare in that market. It could be there only for connecting traffic in beyond markets.

Both "A" and "D" offer full mileage credits on United.

joeljack
Topic Author

Tue Sep 13, 2005 10:35 pm

Thanks for the info. I would really like to learn more about the L, K, G, and Z basis codes. Does anyone know if there is a list explaining the entire system or is that something that hasn't ever been made? It sure would be helpful.

andersjt

Wed Sep 14, 2005 2:31 am

I know that "P" and "Z" codes seem tied to their Premium Service flights. I've booked the "Z" code as the advance purchase non-refundable fare in Business Class on the LAX-JFK flights. The "P" is for the United First cabin on these flights.
Oh how I long for the day when the skies were truly Friendly!

Brick

Wed Sep 14, 2005 2:37 am

A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man...

AirScoot

Wed Sep 14, 2005 7:08 am

G class used to be used for UA sales certificates in coach. I'm not sure if it still is or not. K class is used for zone fares (meetings/conventions and the like). This may have changed due to *A fare class realignment.

kneemeister

Wed Sep 14, 2005 8:37 am

G is Priceline, i just used it for a last min. IND-MCO trip. Do to a delayed flight out of IND the agent said that she wasnt supposed to be able to bump us to an earlier flight to make our CLT connection, she had to reissue us normal Y class tickets for that flight, causing us to get the full TSA treatment as the computer saw it a a last min. cash one way ticket.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos