Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Dougloid
Topic Author

I Love The EU!

Thu Sep 15, 2005 12:05 am

Interesting news today from Der Spiegel.

http://service.spiegel.de/cache/international/0,1518,374639,00.html

The EU parliament relaunched its website so's to inform folks what's going on in Euroland....all well and good, nice to see what's on peoples' minds.

So I go to this new website to see what's what and there's an article entitled

"Political Action Needed Over Airline Safety"

http://www.europarl.eu.int/news/publ...265-2005-29-08-2005/default_en.htm

So far so good.....airline safety....lotsa good stuff....they even talk about the A340 that ran off the runway up in Canada, etc etc....

I wondered what the picture in the article had to do with the topic and why it was selected (as it appears to be a 747 that ran off a runway somewhere and didn't burn or anything nobody getting upset, etc etc and it wasn't mentioned in the story), but just chalk that up to being a Yanqui with an inquiring mind and a well founded fear of persecution....surely the flicks from Canada were much more graphic, but who knows what the fellas in Too Loose woulda said about pictures of THAT on an official EU website.

http://www.cbc.ca/story/canada/natio...al/2005/08/02/airfrance050802.html

Comments? Questions?
If you believe in coincidence, you haven't looked close enough-Joe Leaphorn

Dougloid
Topic Author

RE: I Love The EU!

Thu Sep 15, 2005 12:07 am

On further inspection it looks like it is a freighter 747.

L410Turbolet

Thu Sep 15, 2005 12:14 am

Quoting Dougloid (Thread starter):
I wondered what the picture in the article had to do with the topic and why it was selected

I think they put there a picture of a 747 instead of Airbus because the EU is one huge anti-Boeing conspiracy.  Yeah sure
I also think you need to relax a little bit.

pelican

Thu Sep 15, 2005 12:22 am

but who knows what the fellas in Too Loose woulda said about pictures of THAT on an official EU website.

I've also heard next time when they update this website they won't mention any accidents with Airbus involvement anymore.  banghead 

pelican

Scorpio

Thu Sep 15, 2005 12:34 am

Think it's a legal issue more than anything: yes the A340 images are more graphic, but they also clearly show the airline's logo (Air France). That would be negative publicity for a big brand. On the picture we see there now, no airline logo is visible (not even an airline name, just the word 'Cargo') so no damage to any airline's brand. My guess is that's your reason...

ARGinLON

Thu Sep 15, 2005 12:39 am

You really have to make an effort to notice the aircraft in the picture is a 747 (unless you are an anetter)

The average visitor to that website won't tell the difference between a 747 and an Airbus even if you show them a better picture.

Quoting Dougloid (Reply 1):
I also think you need to relax a little bit.

yes, just relax!  Smile

Udo

Thu Sep 15, 2005 12:52 am

.surely the flicks from Canada were much more graphic, but who knows what the fellas in Too Loose woulda said about pictures of THAT on an official EU website.

My guess is they called Toulouse, asked which picture to take and they were told by Gustav Humbert himself that a picture of an old, damaged B747 would be the appropriate choice in order to supplement an article about aviation accidents.  idea 

Regards
Udo
Me & You & a Plane Named Blue...

Dougloid
Topic Author

Thu Sep 15, 2005 12:57 am

Quoting L410Turbolet (Reply 2):
also think you need to relax a little bit.

I'm normally a pretty relaxed guy....who needs psychotherapy when you have a Telecaster and a brown Concert amp to annoy the neighbors with?

AMSSpotter

Thu Sep 15, 2005 12:58 am

I wondered what the picture in the article had to do with the topic and why it was selected (as it appears to be a 747

It once more shows how anti-Boeing/US the EU really is. Pure anti-American propaganda; totally disgusting.

magyar

Thu Sep 15, 2005 1:04 am

Dear Dougloid,

what exactly was your point?
Other than pointing out the website (where I personally
did not find anything unusual) and displaying a mild
dislike to the EU (this was my personal impression
and I may be wrong) what exactly you were trying to
say?

Scorpio

Thu Sep 15, 2005 1:17 am

Quoting AMSSpotter (Reply 8):
It once more shows how anti-Boeing/US the EU really is. Pure anti-American propaganda; totally disgusting.

That WAS tongue-in-cheek, right?

AirPacific747

Thu Sep 15, 2005 1:18 am

The EU parliament relaunched its website so's to inform folks what's going on in Euroland

Sounds like you have a problem with the EU.. or maybe you just don't know that it is called the European Union?

Canada were much more graphic, but who knows what the fellas in Too Loose woulda said about pictures of THAT on an official EU website.

lol relax.. don't you think it is pretty childish to spell Toulouse that way?

Dougloid
Topic Author

Thu Sep 15, 2005 1:29 am

Quoting Magyar (Reply 9):
Dear Dougloid,

what exactly was your point?
Other than pointing out the website (where I personally
did not find anything unusual) and displaying a mild
dislike to the EU (this was my personal impression
and I may be wrong) what exactly you were trying to
say?

the pernt Edith, as Archie Bunker used to say, is it's a matter of general interest about Civil Aviation for people interested in civil aviation matters. I am not about to piss off the moderators here....I served my time in the doghouse.

And it is not marketing propaganda from A and B that's disguised as "news"-which I find tedious.

And it is not yet more "Kill the Unions-No! Kill the Company! No! Kill the Scabs! No! Kill the managers!" dreck...all of which is tedious as well.

What was I trying to say? Nothing at all, m'good man, nothing at all. It's sui generis-it stands on its own hind legs. It's an article and a picture and a question.

I am a student of everything.

AMSSpotter

Thu Sep 15, 2005 1:30 am

Quoting Scorpio (Reply 10):
That WAS tongue-in-cheek, right?

Sort of, haha!  Wink

Dougloid
Topic Author

Thu Sep 15, 2005 1:30 am

Quoting AirPacific747 (Reply 11):
don't you think it is pretty childish to spell Toulouse that way?

It's a play on words for English speaking former mechanics.

DLPMMM

Thu Sep 15, 2005 2:19 am

Quoting AirPacific747 (Reply 11):
lol relax.. don't you think it is pretty childish to spell Toulouse that way?

At least he didn't spell it "Two-louse"

Lighten up, he was just being silly.

AirPacific747

Thu Sep 15, 2005 2:24 am

yes but I still think its a little respectless to call EU for euroland.. lol its not some sort of amusement park

oldeuropean

Thu Sep 15, 2005 2:28 am

Be sure that the photo was choosen by someone who, as 98 % of the world population (or the Americans), don`t know the difference between a A340, 747, A380, A320, 737, DC10 or even a Embraer. He just needed a photo of a crash.
Take a break. Not everybody wants to blame the great products of US companys.

This thread is ludicrous.

Axel

[Edited 2005-09-14 19:43:42]
Wer nichts weiss muss alles glauben

Sabena332

Thu Sep 15, 2005 2:32 am

Click here to whine about it, maybe they will change the picture for you.  Silly

Patrick
NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

Flightlover

Thu Sep 15, 2005 2:33 am

Quoting AirPacific747 (Reply 16):
yes but I still think its a little respectless to call EU for euroland.. lol its not some sort of amusement park

AirPacific747,
Don't lose your sense of humor dude. He was just joking  Smile, it's ok!!! He jokes about the EU, you joke about the US and things move on :-P

Dougloid
Topic Author

Thu Sep 15, 2005 2:33 am

Quoting AirPacific747 (Reply 16):

Like my old crew chief used to say....eff em if they can't take a joke.

Here we have:
Chicagoland
Southland (Long Beach/Orange County)
Inland Empire (San Berdoo and Riverside Counties)
Chi-town (Chicago)
Beantown (Boston)
Heartland (Midwest)
Sun Country (Arizona and New Mexico)
Great White North (Canada....they even got a song about it)
North Woods (Minnesota)
Iowa (Tall Corn state)
Nebraska (Huskerland)

every city's got a Dogtown

and nobody takes offense.

so...Euroland? Works pretty well. Maybe Eurolandia?

oldeuropean

Thu Sep 15, 2005 2:41 am

Quoting Dougloid (Reply 20):
so...Euroland? Works pretty well. Maybe Eurolandia?

Normally, Euroland is a term for the totality of the countries, which have the Euro € as their currency. So, Euroland is not the EU, because not every EU member is in Euroland.

Axel

[Edited 2005-09-14 19:42:17]
Wer nichts weiss muss alles glauben

Dougloid
Topic Author

Thu Sep 15, 2005 2:42 am

Quoting Sabena332 (Reply 18):
Click here to whine about it, maybe they will change the picture for you.

Patrick

I like the picture....I really do....it's a really nice website and I am sure that as I monitor it I will find many interesting things to read about....

who's whining except a couple stuffed shirts who think I'm being disrespectful to the EU? Der Spiegel's title for the article was considerably more disreputable.....no-one in Eurolandia seems to have noticed that.

TPASXM787

Thu Sep 15, 2005 2:47 am

Quoting Dougloid (Reply 20):
Great White North (Canada....they even got a song about it)

I thought that was Canadia...

I'm with the rest of you who think that the dude just needed a picture. Probably didn't even have a clue what he picked.
This is the Last Stop.

Dougloid
Topic Author

Thu Sep 15, 2005 2:47 am

Quoting Oldeuropean (Reply 21):
Normally, Euroland is a term for the totality of the countries, which have the Euro € as their currency. So, Euroland is not the EU, because not every EU member is in Euroland.

Got it.

ikramerica

Thu Sep 15, 2005 2:48 am

Quoting ARGinLON (Reply 5):
The average visitor to that website won't tell the difference between a 747 and an Airbus even if you show them a better picture.

Just not true. I hear this all the time on these boards by people who consider themselves experts, but the average flyer DOES know a 747 from the other planes. They may not be able to tell the 767 from the 777 or the A300 from the A330, or the A300 from the 767, but they can tell an 747 when presented with one. It's been a world cultural icon for 35 years.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

magyar

Thu Sep 15, 2005 3:02 am

Dear Dougloid,

>>
who's whining except a couple stuffed shirts who think I'm being disrespectful to the EU? Der Spiegel's title for the article was considerably more disreputable.....no-one in Eurolandia seems to have noticed that.
<<

Be respectful or disrespectful, as you wish. I don't care.
You can even be downright hateful. It won't change
my opinion about the EU (which is generally positive)
unless of course you give some solid argument.

I am still missing the purpose of this thread, but hey
your sentences involve the words of "aviation" and "plane"
even though they do not make much sense in general
(for me at least).

AirPacific747

Thu Sep 15, 2005 4:29 am

Quoting FlightLover (Reply 19):
AirPacific747,
Don't lose your sense of humor dude. He was just joking Smile, it's ok!!! He jokes about the EU, you joke about the US and things move on :-P

you are right.. but this is not a political forum anyway  Smile

jush

Thu Sep 15, 2005 4:33 am

Quoting ARGinLON (Reply 5):
You really have to make an effort to notice the aircraft in the picture is a 747 (unless you are an anetter)

You're completely wrong. If one average joe can identify an aircraft than it's the 747...

Regards
jush
There is one problem with airbus. Though their products are engineering marvels they lack passion, completely.

AirPacific747

Thu Sep 15, 2005 4:43 am

Quoting Jush (Reply 28):
You're completely wrong. If one average joe can identify an aircraft than it's the 747...

yes, true, but what he was saying is that an average joe cant even identify the 747.. my dad knows what a 747 is, my sisters and my momma would not be able to identify it :P
only some average joes can identify it

prebennorholm

Thu Sep 15, 2005 5:07 am

I wondered what the picture in the article had to do with the topic....

The article mentiones the six major accidents in the period 2nd August to 5th September this year.

They involved one Airbus, one ATR, one MD-80, and three Boeing planes.

Is it really politically incorrect to show one picture of a fourth Boeing which crashed at an earlier time instead of six pictures from the six crashes in the article?

BTW, can somebody please mention just one of the of those accidents where the plane maker can have the slightest responcibility?

The Airbus was flown by a totally insane crew. The ATR was fueled for half of its journey and was at take-off doomed for ditching in the sea. The MD-80 had double engine failure, maybe also fuel starvation. Two of three Boeing crashes seem 99.9+% sure to be maintenance related while the third was wind shear.
Always keep your number of landings equal to your number of take-offs

legacy135

Thu Sep 15, 2005 5:54 am

Hey boys! Don't you think it a little childish to accuse the EU antiamerican because ther is now this 747 picture on this webpage? The point is actually, that those planes hardly ever crash because of their design. They are crashed by the pilots, flying them!
Furthermore all kind of aircrafts are multinational designs. Regardless, if it a Boeing, an Airbus, an Embraer, a Canadair, a Pilatus, a BAe or whatever. The Airbus wouldn't be the same Airbus without all the American parts on it and everybody being professional knows this!
What is real fun, Switzerlands biggest supplier in Aviation is RUAG Aerospace. If you walk in there, they build on one side parts for the Space Shuttle program, on the other for the European Ariane the counterpart. Next department you find parts manufactured for Airbus, but just next side a similar part built for Boeing and one for Embraer. So....
Finally I get tired about this screaming all the time that somebody was Antiamerican if this person is not agreeing 100% G.W. jun. ! Or do we all call you guys there "Anti Rest of the World"? Sure not, so it might be a question of reciprocal respect to accept the opinion of the other, what does not mean that we have to agree. In a multicultural world we have to live with several opinions, giving eachother the space to live it and things go much smoother.

PHXinterrupted

Thu Sep 15, 2005 6:18 am

Quoting Legacy135 (Reply 31):
Finally I get tired about this screaming all the time that somebody was Antiamerican if this person is not agreeing 100% G.W. jun. ! Or do we all call you guys there "Anti Rest of the World"? Sure not, so it might be a question of reciprocal respect to accept the opinion of the other, what does not mean that we have to agree. In a multicultural world we have to live with several opinions, giving eachother the space to live it and things go much smoother.

Why don't you just say what you're thinking? Your post implies that the rest of the world is against the US, and if that is what you believe, than just say it. Don't worry, we Americans are certainly not threatened by Europe.
Keepin' it real.

HBIHLtoEZE

Thu Sep 15, 2005 6:20 am

Either you are against or you are with us...

it is about planes, if you wanna discuss politics (and blame Europe, please change the forum)
Our battered suitcases were piled on the sidewalk again; we had longer ways to go. But no matter, the road is life.

BHXFAOTIPYYC

Thu Sep 15, 2005 6:26 am

Don't worry Dougloid, nothing to worry about. Quoting the editorial in this weeks ABTN "The Tower of Babel that is Brussels continues to confuse. According to The Bible it never worked. The 21st century version does not appear to be doing much better."

The EP and EC just come out with mind numbing amounts of nonsense in order to justify their existence.

Not much to do with aviation, but just to give you an example:
From Britain's Daily Express; 17th August 2005

Taxpayers in Britain are having to fund a new Brussels gravy train which will see unelected Eurocrats retiring on massive pensions at 50.

Under the crazy plan they will be able to leave on 65 per cent of their salaries - or up to £6,000 a month.

Those who hang on until they are 55 can retire on a full salary.

At least 340 officials have taken advantage so far, draining EU coffers of £14million.

Officials as young as 50 are being encouraged to retire on generous pensions so they can be replaced from countries that have only recently joined the European Union, like Hungary and Poland.

German MEP Markus Ferber, of the Christian Social Union, exposed the “fat cat” scheme.

He admitted that the early retirement policy could alienate EU taxpayers.

He told German newspaper Bild: “It is a slap in the face for taxpayers if they have to work longer to pay for early retirement for well-paid EU officials”.

The details of the pensions deal is the latest evidence of the perks dished out at taxpayers’ expense by Brussels amid chaos over the EU’s accounts. The National Audit Office found 10,000 cases of possible fraud in 2002.

Those who work directly for EU institutions pay no national taxes. Instead they pay a levy of 16 per cent to Brussels on their basic salary. This is outweighed, though, by a 16 per cent annual bonus on their entire package for working abroad.

There are also generous allowances for housing and children and help with school fees.

Yeah sure
Breakfast in BHX, lunch in FAO, dinner in TIP, baggage in YYC.

legacy135

Thu Sep 15, 2005 6:33 am

Quoting PHXinterrupted (Reply 32):
Why don't you just say what you're thinking? Your post implies that the rest of the world is against the US, and if that is what you believe, than just say it. Don't worry, we Americans are certainly not threatened by Europe.

Don't worry, I am not that stupid to think that we could make it that easy without you guys. Finally aviation was born in your country and it's still the place where it has the biggest market. Also our economies depend strongly from eachother.

Think about your comment if you really wanted to write it as it came over, it would show not very much understanding of how our world functions. Being proud of it's nation is an aspect I basically like, but if it ends up in ignorance and arrogance it's another story.

OHLHD

Thu Sep 15, 2005 8:21 am

Quoting Oldeuropean (Reply 21):
, Euroland is a term for the totality of the countries, which have the Euro € as their currency

Well also called Eurozone.

Quoting Prebennorholm (Reply 30):
Is it really politically incorrect to show one picture of a fourth Boeing which crashed at an earlier time instead of six pictures from the six crashes in the article?

Let´s see it from this side, 80% of the non-a.netters can´t tell the differnce between A and B. But I agree on this point with you but I refuse to say "politcally incorrect"

Quoting Prebennorholm (Reply 30):
The Airbus was flown by a totally insane crew.

Why insane???

glideslope

Thu Sep 15, 2005 9:26 am

Quoting Pelican (Reply 3):
I've also heard next time when they update this website they won't mention any accidents with Airbus involvement anymore.   

pelican

Actually, there have been many such type posts removed from this site.  Smile
"To know your Enemy, you must become your Enemy.” Sun Tzu

EI321

Thu Sep 15, 2005 9:50 am

This whole thread is pointless. Full stop.

Toulouse

Thu Sep 15, 2005 4:19 pm

Quoting AMSSpotter (Reply 8):

boggled 

Quoting Oldeuropean (Reply 17):
This thread is ludicrous.

Totally agree.

Quoting PHXinterrupted (Reply 32):

I didn't come to that conclusion when reading! Paranoia?

Quoting Bhxfaotipyyc (Reply 34):
From Britain's Daily Express

What a great and reliable source of information!

Quoting Bhxfaotipyyc (Reply 34):
The EP and EC just come out with mind numbing amounts of nonsense in order to justify their existence

Amazing come from a Portuguese member (no disrespect meant as the same would go for a fellow-Irish member) given all the aid Portugal has received from the EU.
Long live Aer Lingus!

D5DBY

Thu Sep 15, 2005 4:55 pm

Quoting EI321 (Reply 38):

I just want to say this: I agree with EI321......

AirPacific747

Fri Sep 16, 2005 2:09 am

I also agree with the other Europeans in this forum  Smile
Guess there is not many americans who view this the same way as us, but I think this thread is stupid and pointless and does not belong in an aviation forum. We don't bash your country here either.

LGW

Fri Sep 16, 2005 2:23 am

Hi all,

"This whole thread is pointless. Full stop."

It is not the thread that is pointless, it's the EU

Although I am not sure if it warranted a whole post of it's own I do see the point made by dougloid it's either EU propaganda to try and cover up it wasn't an Airbus accident or the people who chose the image are stupid, either way it is dumb.

Cheers

Ben Pritchard

eg777er

Fri Sep 16, 2005 4:36 am

If you look very closely, it's a Lufthansa Cargo 747-200, with Lufthansa airbrushed out, and it's Hong Kong Kai Tak airport.

http://www.airdisaster.com/photos/d-abyu/photo.shtml

So, you could say it's equally "anti" European as it is "anti" American.

SWISSER

Fri Sep 16, 2005 4:40 am

Quoting EI321 (Reply 38):

agreed, has nothing to do with aviation!

I request a full stop too!
What time is top of descent?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos