Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

PSU.DTW.SCE
Topic Author

New NW International Seasonal Reductions

Thu Sep 15, 2005 12:51 pm

Wasting no time at firing up the chainsaw.....

MSP-LGW is suspended from Oct 30, 2005 - March 9, 2006
DTW-CDG is reduced to 5x weekly (No Monday or Thursday flight out of DTW, Tuesday/Friday return from CDG) Jan 16, 2006-March 9, 2006

This is in addition to the typical seasonal flights and reductions (like DTW-FCO, cutting the # of DTW-AMS flights, etc)

skywatch

RE: New NW International Seasonal Reductions

Thu Sep 15, 2005 12:54 pm

I might be going to HYD via NW and KLM in January. I hope this doesn't interfere! So far the best route I can find is AUS-DTW-AMS-HYD-AMS-MEM-AUS. I would prefer going through Detroit because the flight on the schedule DTW-AMS is an A333, as opposed to a DC-10.

---Skywatch
------Forever Watchin' The Sky------

PSU.DTW.SCE
Topic Author

Thu Sep 15, 2005 12:58 pm

U.S.-AMS flights should be safe.

These reductions are primarily to get through the slow winter Trans-Atlantic travel season, and to reduce the number of fuel-guzzling DC-10's across the Atlantic.

JasYHZ

Thu Sep 15, 2005 12:59 pm

Don't know if you'd consider DTW-YHZ international (or transborder at least). When NW first started flying here two years ago it was three times daily - it was reduced to once daily eff. Fall 2004 and never went back up to 3.

Doesn't surprise me though - cheapest fare YHZ-TPA on NW is always over $1000 CDN. CO/DL/AA are always WAYYYYY lower....
"That's it! You just made the list!"

coronado

Thu Sep 15, 2005 1:15 pm

With fuel prices where they are the DC-10's will be history in less than a year.

Too bad --a great a/c that I have enjoyed on many airlines including Varig, British Caledonian, Viasa, Aero Peru, Pan Am, United, NWA, ah the memories--

MSP -HNL will undoubtedly become a 1 stop routing on 757-300's via SEA or SFO--there is nothing else that makes sense in this routing until 787's become available.
The Original Coronado: First CV jet flights RG CV 990 July 1965; DL CV 880 July 1965; Spantax CV990 Feb 1973

pilottim747

Thu Sep 15, 2005 3:36 pm

Quoting PSU.DTW.SCE (Thread starter):

Man that sucks. MSP-LGW is the oldest international flight from MSP. Sad to see an intl flight drop off the MSP schedules. Keep those fuel efficient A330s coming.

pilottim747
Aviation Photographers & Enthusiasts--Coordinate your life.

Leneld

Thu Sep 15, 2005 8:25 pm

Will Portland see a reduction in it's sole PDX-Narita after the bankruptcy?

BestWestern

Thu Sep 15, 2005 9:32 pm

Quoting DTW.SCE" class=quote target=_blank>PSU.DTW.SCE (Thread starter):

NW have reduced frequencies to Gatwick in the winter, but never (IMHO) cut either DTW or MSP for the entire winter season. Being the only carrier on MSP LON, I'm amazed that they cant even break even on the route during the winter. - unless they are short of airframes - deciding to accelerate DC10 fleet retirements.
Greetings from Hong Kong.... a subsidiary of China Inc.

cornish

Thu Sep 15, 2005 9:37 pm

Quoting BestWestern (Reply 7):
NW have reduced frequencies to Gatwick in the winter, but never (IMHO) cut either DTW or MSP for the entire winter season. Being the only carrier on MSP LON, I'm amazed that they cant even break even on the route during the winter. - unless they are short of airframes - deciding to accelerate DC10 fleet retirements.

Maybe that's the plan - accelerate the retirement of the gas guzzlers and feed the LON traffic thriough AMS for the time being until more A330s come on stream.
Just when I thought I could see light at the end of the tunnel, it was some B*****d with a torch bringing me more work

hjulicher

Thu Sep 15, 2005 10:00 pm

The cuts sort of are similar to the one's airfrance is making on it's route to detroit. Maybe through cooperation with both airlines, there is at least one daily flight to Paris from DTW. Hopefully the DOT will allow northwest to codeshare with AF and OK. Detroit also has a daily flight to LON, so passengers also have the option of connecting in Detroit.

Additionally, I always thought that the international flights were the money makers for the airlines, at least at this point in time. But if the flight was dropped because of efficient airframe shortages, then that's understandable.

How many A330's did NW order, and how many have they received? How many DC-10's need to be replaced. Will the MEM flight to AMS be upgraded as well to more efficient aircraft. Will KLM service NW markets again until aircraft are updated? Sorry for all the easy questions that I should know.
Detroit Moves the World!
LH 442

PSU.DTW.SCE
Topic Author

Thu Sep 15, 2005 11:29 pm

Quoting Hjulicher (Reply 9):
Detroit also has a daily flight to LON, so passengers also have the option of connecting in Detroit.

That is why MSP-LGW was suspended for the slow winter months. Most domestic markets can still get there by connecting through DTW. The only people that are affected by this are the MSP passengers and those in the smaller outstations that do not have nonstops to DTW. In the big picture this is not that noticable of a cut, but still noteworthy.

Additionally, I always thought that the international flights were the money makers for the airlines, at least at this point in time. But if the flight was dropped because of efficient airframe shortages, then that's understandable.

International flights may be where the money is, but NW has a very limited presence in LGW. Plus, Trans-Atlantics are highly seasonal, especially from NW's stronghold markets in the Midwest. Minimal tourist traffic, and the business passengers can go through DTW.

How many A330's did NW order, and how many have they received? How many DC-10's need to be replaced. Will the MEM flight to AMS be upgraded as well to more efficient aircraft. Will KLM service NW markets again until aircraft are updated? Sorry for all the easy questions that I should know.

NW will eventually have 32 A330's. I don't have the exact number right now, but I want to say there are currently 10 -300's and 7 -200's in service. They will still be on schedule through 2006, and these aircraft are more cost effective replacement than to continue operating the DC-10's

NW wants to get rid of as many DC-10's as they can ASAP. They've already parked 3 so far in the past month or two at the end of the busy summer schedule. Another 3-6 will be parked this fall. The active DC-10 fleet will be down to about 12-14 aircraft by year-end. DC-10's will all be off the Atlantic within the next 18 months, possibly sooner. MEM will be upgraded to an A330 when they have the available aircraft, possibly by the end of 2006. The NW/KLM agreement only applies to AMS flying. The suspensions do not apply to any AMS markets.

Tg 747-300

Fri Sep 16, 2005 12:01 am

I booked my self on NW41 AMS-MSP Jan3 2006. The sole reason for this was the Dc10. Is this flight still likely to be a Dc10 in January?
intentionally left blank

laca773

Fri Sep 16, 2005 1:28 am

I know MSP-LGW is the oldest international flight @ MSP but if they need to get those ancient D10s out of the sky for financial relief, by all means they should do it, and hats off to them for being humble! I wouldn't be surprised that their lower yielding D10s flights be pulled as well until they get more A33Xs online.

Next they need to get rid of those ultra gas guzzling D9S.

LACA773

Cubsrule

Fri Sep 16, 2005 2:37 am

Quoting PSU.DTW.SCE (Reply 10):
International flights may be where the money is, but NW has a very limited presence in LGW.

Are there other USA-LGW flights that get suspended for the winter besides CLE-LGW on CO?
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos