Northwest Signs Steenland To Non-Compete Deal

Tue Sep 20, 2005 3:18 am

Courtesy: The Minneapolis/St. Paul Business Journal

NWA Signs Steenland To Non-Compete Deal

http://www.bizjournals.com/industrie.../2005/09/19/twincities_daily4.html

SHUPirate1

RE: Northwest Signs Steenland To Non-Compete Deal

Tue Sep 20, 2005 3:27 am

Well, it's fairly obvious that Northwest Airlines' board is absolutely idiotic...

Wouldn't they want the doofus they named CEO to work at another airline? It's not like he's done such a great job at Northwest that every other airline on the face of this earth would want him as Chief Executive Officer!

Now it's not just Steenland I question...
Burma's constitutional referendum options: A. Yes, B. Go to Insein Prison!

wobbles

Tue Sep 20, 2005 3:39 am

Who the hell else would want this clown anyway?

isitsafenow

Tue Sep 20, 2005 3:58 am

That's pretty lenient. Most are two year deals, not limited to airlines but any corporation or company. So is Dougie fixin' to check out at NW or what?

Here's one to kick around. Dec 31 marks one year Gordon B. left CO.
Now, does he have a one year non-compete or a two year?
I have read on Airliners.net some people think Gordon B.is going to UAL in the near future. Perhaps its not UAL.......... but NW. Sleep on that one, y'all.
safe
If two people agree on EVERYTHING, then one isn't necessary.

Braniff727

Tue Sep 20, 2005 4:05 am

Frankly, I think it was a smart move. Do you really want the guy at the helm kicked out and someone new, potentially with no knowledge of what's going on at the company thrust into that position, especially while in bankruptcy?

You know, a lot of people don't like Steenland, but the fact remains that he hasn't been at the top for very long. Further, none of the other employee groups take any responsibility for the current state of the airline. Not one group, save the pilots, have agreed to take their wages inline with the rest of the industry.

I know it's not easy to take a paycut, but every other "legacy" has.

***Note***

Yes, I have taken a paycut and have been expected to do more work. Not only that it was in a non-unionized position.
Climbing

ZSOFN

Tue Sep 20, 2005 4:12 am

Quoting Braniff727 (Reply 4):
Yes, I have taken a paycut and have been expected to do more work. Not only that it was in a non-unionized position.

Good on you! The US industry will need plenty more like you if it is to become profitable and efficient again.  thumbsup 

mariner

Tue Sep 20, 2005 4:15 am

Quoting Braniff727 (Reply 4):
You know, a lot of people don't like Steenland, but the fact remains that he hasn't been at the top for very long. Further, none of the other employee groups take any responsibility for the current state of the airline.

No one is taking any responsibility for the current state of the airline - and who else but the CEO (or the BOD ) should?

The policies of the airline are set by the CEO, with the approval of the BOD.

There is considerable misgiving on Wall Street about the actions and statements at NWA in the days before the Chapter 11. A lot of big money (and small money) people feel seriously misled.

Mr. Steenland can defend what happened up the wazoo, but do you not think he should at least offer to resign in view of what he has done to the shareholders and creditors?

Or is there no accountability any more - is that a very old fashioned concept?

cheers

mariner
aeternum nauta

Braniff727

Tue Sep 20, 2005 4:26 am

Quoting Mariner (Reply 6):
No one is taking any responsibility for the current state of the airline - and who else but the CEO (or the BOD ) should?

The BOD has taken responsibility to save the company by exercising the options available to them under US law. While I'm sure it's known that I'm no fan of the UAL bankruptcy, the more I learn about the Bankruptcy Law, whether I like it or not, it's all legal.

Mr. Steenland can defend what happened up the wazoo, but do you not think he should at least offer to resign in view of what he has done to the shareholders and creditors?

Again, Steenland has not been the CEO for enough time for him to be solely responsible for the current state of the airline. Perhaps the shareholders should attempt legal action against the BOD and previous CEO's?

Or is there no accountability any more - is that a very old fashioned concept?

Please also keep in mind that it is the very shareholders you claim should be outraged that elected the BOD, who chose the CEO's and who voted on Chapter 11. Maybe the it's the employees and customers of NWA should be demanding accountability from the shareholders.
Climbing

AirRyan

Tue Sep 20, 2005 4:29 am

Quoting Isitsafenow (Reply 3):
Here's one to kick around. Dec 31 marks one year Gordon B. left CO.
Now, does he have a one year non-compete or a two year?
I have read on Airliners.net some people think Gordon B.is going to UAL in the near future. Perhaps its not UAL.......... but NW. Sleep on that one, y'all.
safe

I thought Gordon B. was still at CO but I guess I missed that news! I must admit that many here speak rather critically of Steenland but from what I have learned of him through NW literature and the likes, I don't think he's being fairly portrayed in most instances. You have to give credit for NW for being in as relatively good financial shape as an airline could be in while filing for Ch11 - that will make for a significantly shorter stay under Ch11 protection for NW.

SHUPirate1

Tue Sep 20, 2005 4:31 am

Quoting AirRyan (Reply 8):
I thought Gordon B. was still at CO but I guess I missed that news!

The name Larry Kellner doesn't ring a bell, does it?
Burma's constitutional referendum options: A. Yes, B. Go to Insein Prison!

mariner

Tue Sep 20, 2005 4:37 am

Quoting Braniff727 (Reply 7):
While I'm sure it's known that I'm no fan of the UAL bankruptcy, the more I learn about the Bankruptcy Law, whether I like it or not, it's all legal.

Absolutely legal. I did not say otherwise.

Again, Steenland has not been the CEO for enough time for him to be solely responsible for the current state of the airline.

Aboslutely not the point. I would hope that before Mr. Steenland took on the job, he had a lot of talks with the CFO and knew the true state of the fiances at the airline.

By accepting the job, he becomes responsible for those finances.

He must have known that Chapter 11 was a card in his hand, but this is not a game of poker - for investors and creditors. They rely on statements made, actions taken.

So - why were several respected analysts saying that Chapter 11 was not imminent at NWA the day before the filing?

Perhaps the shareholders should attempt legal action against the BOD and previous CEO's?

I would not rule out that possibility.

Please also keep in mind that it is the very shareholders you claim should be outraged that elected the BOD, who chose the CEO's and who voted on Chapter 11.

I didn't say anyone should be "outraged", although based on some statements made, some are.

I am saying that if you assume responsibility for something and it goes pear shaped on your watch, you offer to resign.

Or - people used to do that.

cheers

mariner
aeternum nauta

Braniff727

Tue Sep 20, 2005 4:55 am

Quoting Mariner (Reply 10):

With that logic, there should be no CEO at NW, UA, US, and DL because all are in bankruptcy, and as such all CEO's of those companies are responsible for their respective company's finances. Because the shares are "worthless," the shareholders should demand ANY CEO of those companies resignation.

So, now we have a catch 22, don't we?

What about the shareholders' accountability? They elected the BOD. They made a bad choice.

[Edited 2005-09-19 22:00:12]
Climbing

mariner

Tue Sep 20, 2005 5:21 am

Quoting Braniff727 (Reply 11):
So, now we have a catch 22, don't we?

The investing world knew that Mr. Tilton was brought in to take United into bk if they didn't get the ATSB loan.

There was no surprise when it happened.

Um - CEO Siegel lost his job at US Airways.

There was no surprise with US.

At Delta, the warning signals were out for at least a week or ten days - the airline was arranging the DIP financing. The only bet was which day would they file.

No surprises there, although I was astonished when Mr. Grinstein told us all "he'd be staying on". I would have thought he'd resign, too.

There is a new CEO at ATA. There is a new CEO at Aloha.

Quoting Braniff727 (Reply 11):
What about the shareholders' accountability? They elected the BOD. They made a bad choice.

I am not asking Mr. Steenland to take moral responsibility for the shareholders actions - only for his own.

cheers

mariner

[Edited 2005-09-19 22:22:12]
aeternum nauta

UAcosCS

Tue Sep 20, 2005 5:27 am

Quoting Mariner (Reply 12):
The investing world knew that Mr. Tilton was brought in to take United into bk if they didn't get the ATSB loan.

There was no surprise when it happened.

Some to this day don't believe that.
We had dreams and songs to sing, It's so lonely round the fields of Athenry.

mariner

Tue Sep 20, 2005 5:30 am

Quoting UAcosCS (Reply 13):
Some to this day don't believe that.

True. But those "some" didn't listen to Mr. Creighton:

"I am not here to preside over a bankruptcy."

And, of course, he was right. He didn't. His successor did.

Wink

cheers

mariner
aeternum nauta

Braniff727

Tue Sep 20, 2005 5:39 am

Quoting Mariner (Reply 12):
I am not asking Mr. Steenland to take moral responsibility for the shareholders actions - only for his own.

And that's fine, however I'm asking about the shareholders' responsibility for their actions. What about them?
Climbing

mariner

Tue Sep 20, 2005 5:45 am

Quoting Braniff727 (Reply 15):
And that's fine, however I'm asking about the shareholders' responsibility for their actions.

The shareholders responsibility for their own actions is that they lose their money. You want blood as well?

Mr. Steenland is not just getting off scott free, he is being rewarded.

cheers

mariner
aeternum nauta

Tango-Bravo

Tue Sep 20, 2005 5:58 am

Quoting SHUPirate1 (Reply 1):
Well, it's fairly obvious that Northwest Airlines' board is absolutely idiotic...

Wouldn't they want the doofus they named CEO to work at another airline? It's not like he's done such a great job at Northwest that every other airline on the face of this earth would want him as Chief Executive Officer!

You and I are not only on the same page, we are also on the same phrase on the same page! There is no shortage of pathetic self-serving lackies in the executive suites of the U.S. airlines, the legacies in particular; however, since months before 9/11/01, when Steenland was Richard Anderson's right hand lackey, Steenland has stood out above the crowd as the ultimate clueless fool among his counterparts. My opinion has even been reinforced by NW's inflight magazine; whereas Richard Anderson could consistently put together a coherent, well-written, reasonably interesting article worth reading in the "word from the CEO" feature (or whatever it is called) in World Traveler, the same feature since it became Steenland's soapbox reads like so much babble by comparison. Admittedly, I have flown NW only once since Steenland has been at the helm, but I will soon have another opportunity to see whether Dougie has improved his communication skills (or has World Traveler been axed?) -- at the very least, one would think he could delegate the task to someone capable of writing an article that is not an embarrassment to NW.

If the board of some other airline is indeed idiotic enough to hire Steenland in a significant management role, it would be the best thing that could happen to Northwest.

[Edited 2005-09-19 23:05:54]

Braniff727

Tue Sep 20, 2005 6:02 am

Quoting Mariner (Reply 16):
The shareholders responsibility for their own actions is that they lose their money. You want blood as well?

Mr. Steenland is not just getting off scott free, he is being rewarded.

I don't want blood, I am merely pointing out that ultimately you can blame the CEO and the BOD all you want, but the shareholders were the ones who put them in their positions of power. You are saying that the CEO is the one responsible for the situation, and I am saying ultimately it isn't.

Steenland is not being rewarded by the non-compete deal. All that has happened what Steenland saying he would not work for another airline in the next year. The past two NW CEO's left and went to different industries. That being said, a non-compete deal is hardly a reward, it just meand that if he is to leave and find employment eleswhere, it can't be an airline for a year, which, statistically wouldn't happen anyway.
Climbing

stlgph

Tue Sep 20, 2005 6:15 am

Quoting Mariner (Reply 10):
Aboslutely not the point. I would hope that before Mr. Steenland took on the job, he had a lot of talks with the CFO and knew the true state of the fiances at the airline.

He must have known that Chapter 11 was a card in his hand, but this is not a game of poker - for investors and creditors. They rely on statements made, actions taken.

No. No. and No.

Quoting SHUPirate1 (Reply 1):

Quoting Wobbles (Reply 2):
Who the hell else would want this clown anyway?

Quoting Tango-Bravo (Reply 17):
If the board of some other airline is indeed idiotic enough to hire Steenlund in a significant management role, it would be the best thing that could happen to Northwest.

It's quite obvious that many here lack corporate experience. Braniff 727's point is correct: Steenland has not been on the job long enough to be responsible for the current state of Northwest Airlines due to their bankruptcy filing. The bankruptcy filing is the result of decisions made a long time ago way out of the hands of Steenland.

Steenland was obviously hired because the Board of Directors, which mind you, with any company, is not responsible for day in and day out business operations. A Board of Directors basic job is to hire the CEO and to oversee capital investments. Obviously they feel Steenland is the person best qualified to root out, identify problems the company is facing, and resurrect the company into a better operating form; hence why they are providing this incentive to keep him from changing his mind about staying with the organization and bailing out on them.

If the Northwest board ever feels that a ticketing agent would have the best experience necessary in running their company, please respond to their Monster.Com ad.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

mariner

Tue Sep 20, 2005 6:20 am

Quoting Braniff727 (Reply 18):
but the shareholders were the ones who put them in their positions of power.

So - when a country elects a President or a Prime Minister, you can't blame that President or Prime Minster for their actions - you can only blame the electorate?

You are saying that the CEO is the one responsible for the situation, and I am saying ultimately it isn't.

Then who? It has to be somebody.

It has to be someone who decides what ther airline will do - where it will fly, what fleet it will have, what prices it will charge.

It has to be someone who decides that market share/turf protection is more vital than making money. It has to be someone who decides that a strike is worth fighting.

What else does a CEO do?

that if he is to leave and find employment eleswhere, it can't be an airline for a year, which, statistically wouldn't happen anyway.

If it wouldn't happen anyway, then what is the point of it, except to say "we luv ya, Doug!"- which is, in itself, a reward.

cheers

mariner
aeternum nauta

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos