Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

gkirk
Topic Author

About Time: NCL-JFK On Sale...good Fares :)

Sun Sep 25, 2005 7:22 am

Not on aa.com yet, but on expedia, AA230/231 NCL-JFK is priced at £358 return, which should attract the punters given the Newcastle-NYC market is said to be 200,000 pax a year. This route should prove to be a big success for AA. Now, I wonder if they might consider using 762/763s  Wink
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

September11

RE: About Time: NCL-JFK On Sale...good Fares :)

Sun Sep 25, 2005 7:26 am

Yes ... I saw CMH-LAX-CMH roundtrip price of $161.00 on AA.com - NEXT weekend!

You can see "Our Lowest Fare Guarantee Only At AA.com" on the left side:

http://www.aa.com/

I did check other cities and dates - very low fares!
Airliners.net of the Future

gilesdavies

Sun Sep 25, 2005 7:35 am

Quoting Gkirk (Thread starter):
...which should attract the punters given the Newcastle-NYC market is said to be 200,000 pax a year.

I dont think it will attract that many passengers!

AA and NCL must be feeling very opptomistic!

The all Y service with a 757 will hold 188 pax and is you base that on 100% load factors and operating 365 days of the year the maximum number of passengers flying on the route will be 137,240.

Calculation:
188 pax (inbound flight)+188 pax (outbout flight)=376 pax a day.
376 pax * 365 days = 137,240 pax annually

gkirk
Topic Author

Sun Sep 25, 2005 7:42 am

Gilesdavies, apparently, the current number of pax flying between NCL and NYC is 200,000 a year. At the moment these will fly via AMS,LHR,CDG. But now NCL-JFK is available nonstop, this should prove successful

commavia

Sun Sep 25, 2005 7:56 am

Quoting Gilesdavies (Reply 2):
I dont think it will attract that many passengers!

GKirk wasn't suggesting it would.

He was saying that the current NCL-JFK market is approximately 200,000 passengers per year.

AA, assuming an 80% load factor, would be able to capture about half of that traffic -- assuming that the traffic stays at these levels. The other phenomenon common to markets with new transatlantic access (like the example of CO in many UK cities) is that when new, nonstop service becomes available to the U.S., and at competitive prices and schedules over connecting via LHR/CDG/AMS, the market actually expands. In other words, not only will AA get a bigger piece of the pie, but AA's entrance into the market will actually make the pie bigger.

alcregular

Sun Sep 25, 2005 8:31 am

About time, I was beginning to think AA forgot about announcing the route.

[Edited 2005-09-25 01:31:58]
Why drive when you can fly?

LH423

Sun Sep 25, 2005 9:19 am

Off topic: I apologize I just don't think this warrants a new thread, but with the BOS-MAN flight operating now until 7 January 2006 and restarting on 3 April, is there any chance that AA will just operate the flight year-round next year? I mean, the flight is already operating 9 months of the year as is.

Anyway, good luck to AA on the NCL route.

LH423
« On ne voit bien qu'avec le cœur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux » Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

IADLHR

Sun Sep 25, 2005 1:30 pm

How many European flights has AA started ex JFK, only to drop them at a later date? I hate to be cynical but I have a feeling this JFK-NCL will be dropped at some point.

commavia

Sun Sep 25, 2005 1:42 pm

Quoting IADLHR (Reply 7):
How many European flights has AA started ex JFK, only to drop them at a later date? I hate to be cynical but I have a feeling this JFK-NCL will be dropped at some point.

A fair point, but I think AA might actually be serious about JFK this time. After deeply cutting their JFK feed (particularly Eagle) post-9/11, AA seems to be slowly rebuilding its JFK network with new flights, new cities and expanded service. In addition, AA has just opened the first phase of what will be the largest terminal at the airport. They are going to need to fill up that big, beautiful new terminal with people in order to pay for it. These new flights will help with that. Personally, not only do I think that AA will stay on the JFK-NCL route, but I think that this is just the beginning. AA's early experience with the 757 transatlantic (BOS-MAN/SNN) has been so positive, IMO, that I think we are going to see more 757s flying from JFK to Europe in the next 2-3 years, especially once the 757s get winglets and AA can work out a deal with the FAs for these flights. I can see flights to many cities including, among others: AMS, BHX, DUS, FRA, GLA, LIS, LYO, MAN and STR. I could envision all of these cities easily supporting a daily AA 757 to JFK. There are major growth opportunities here, as AA will be able to capture premium traffic to and from New York, the mother of all O&D markets, and compete head-to-head with CO on many narrow, profitable routes. Sidenote: where does this leave DL? -- behind the curve!

This is from an earlier discussion of possible AA 757 routes to Europe:

Quote:
There are two lists of potential cities to be served, a sort of A list and B list.

The A list includes:
- JFK to Barcelona, Frankfurt, Lyon, Madrid, Newcastle and Stutgart
- BOS to Brussels

The B list includes:
- JFK to Shannon, Dublin, Manchester, Amsterdam, Dusseldorf, Copenhagan, Geneva, Basel, Nice and Milan
- BOS to Dublin and Glasgow
- MIA to Manaus, Fortaleza, Brasilia and Belo Horizonte

gkirk
Topic Author

Sun Sep 25, 2005 6:36 pm

Now available on aa.com, prices there are £1070 return  Wow!

gustyorange

Sun Sep 25, 2005 6:40 pm

Look for sales of Newastle Brown Ale to drop substantially if the locals are going to fill the flights at that price. Big grin

gkirk
Topic Author

Sun Sep 25, 2005 6:44 pm

Talking about Newcastle Brown Ale, they have just opened a shop in the terminal at NCL, which should be very popular with the American tourists who tend to enjoy some of the Broon stuff  Smile

gustyorange

Sun Sep 25, 2005 6:51 pm

Agh, surely not, the stuff is mingin'. Big grin

Give me a Carling or Tennents any day.

g

Xkorpyoh

Sun Sep 25, 2005 10:32 pm

Quoting IADLHR (Reply 7):

Agree with you... AA is too conservative and doesnt allow time for the market to develop. I was booked MIA-MAN in NOV and they had to re-route me because the flight has been cancelled already.
Of all cities they could have started, I think NCL was the wrong choice. If they really want to expand JFK service they should have started with BCN, like the had original planned. And then follow with the usual: FRA, LYS, AMS, etc.
I bet NCL will be either cancelled or turn seasonal only.

LXsaab2000

Sun Sep 25, 2005 10:35 pm

Where now do they fly to Europe out of JFK?

B777FA

Sun Sep 25, 2005 11:07 pm

AA flies to London 6x a day (flights 142,100,122,104,132,116)

Zurich 1x a day (flight 64)
Paris 2x a day (flights 44,120)
Brussels 1x a day (flight 172)
Rome 1x a day (seasonal flight 236)

commavia

Sun Sep 25, 2005 11:18 pm

Quoting Xkorpyoh (Reply 13):
Of all cities they could have started, I think NCL was the wrong choice. If they really want to expand JFK service they should have started with BCN, like the had original planned. And then follow with the usual: FRA, LYS, AMS, etc.

The problem, though, is that AA won't launch 757 routes from JFK to said cities until they have retrofitted the 757s with the new 757 J cabins. Apparently, AA wanted to retrofit these 20 757s with a new Business Class cabin -- like CO has -- but didn't because of a lack of an agreement with their FA union (on something or another, I'm not really sure). That agreement will likely come some time this year. Then, once they have a 757 with a premium configuration, they can start service to some premium European cities like AMS, BCN, FRA, et al. The point of NCL is, much like with BOS-MAN and BOS-SNN, to capture niche leisure traffic -- the plane has no J cabin. It's only 188Y.

FLVILLA

Sun Sep 25, 2005 11:26 pm

Any news on either AA or CO coming back to STN ??

It would make the travel time for us folk living in parts of Essex,Suffolk & Norfolk much shorter if we had the option to fly to the US direct instead of having the drive around London to get to LHR or LGW or go via somewhere on the continent.

FLVILLA
I hope in life i can work to live, not live to work

commavia

Sun Sep 25, 2005 11:46 pm

Quoting FLVILLA (Reply 17):

With now MaxJet and eos on the route, I think that market is now spoken for.

dfwagt

Mon Sep 26, 2005 12:17 am

Quoting FLVILLA (Reply 17):

Thats too bad, my sister lives in Bishop Stortford, and already I have to commute from LGW. NON REV here so I take what I can get. I think going into STN would be good for the cost conscience traveler. Even with no interline agreement with FR how hard would it be to transfer to one of their many flights through out Europe. Just a thought.

eg777er

Mon Sep 26, 2005 2:25 am

The 757 is not 188Y, it's actually got a domestic F cabin that will be sold as a Y cabin, with F seats being given to Elites of the AAdvantage* program. So if you're a FFP with AA you'll get a bigger seat but Y service.

(I wonder if this includes BA elites? )

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos