drerx7

RE: Transmeridian Just Ceased Operations

Fri Sep 30, 2005 10:02 pm

Considering all those airlines had poor business models--don't know if I'd attribute that to SFB.
HOUSTON, TEXAS

jayspilot

Fri Sep 30, 2005 10:03 pm

yea, all the failures have to do with costs getting out of hand and selling tickets for nearly nothing. as posted above by someone their flight from rockford to vegas was almost full, but that means nothing when its almost full of 39-59 dollar fares. In TMA's case it doesn't help them that they are transitioning from 727's to MD-80's and 757's blowing a ton on training. hope those guys find a home somewhere. goodluck.

westindian425

Fri Sep 30, 2005 10:17 pm

I wonder what's going to happen with TravelSpan's JFK and FLL to POS routes, which were operated by TMA. Perhaps Miami Air International, North American Airlines, or World Airways would get the contract (although a DC-10/MD-11 might just be too big), or TravelSpan would just cease altogether (which would be just fine for BWIA).

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Michael F. McLaughlin
View Large View Medium

Photo © Antonio Teixeira - Azores Spotters

View Large View Medium

Photo © Carlos Aleman - SJU Aviation Photography
View Large View Medium

Photo © Paul Robbins

I'll look for more info.

Neil
God did not create aircraft pilots to be on the ground

roseflyer

Fri Sep 30, 2005 10:30 pm

Wow this is really unfortunate. I flew TMA from Rockford to Las Vegas just one week before their demise last Friday. The service was actually pretty good. It was a little late, and the ground crews that they had outsourced to were not that great as far as customer service goes, but once on the plane, I received some great service. TMA will certainly be missed. They flew routes that were not well covered into smaller markets. Here is the last and only trip report for TMA in the database which I wrote just a week ago.
RFD-LAS-RFD On TransMeridian And HootersAir W/pics (by RoseFlyer Sep 26 2005 in Trip Reports)

I am extremely luck to have made it when I did. If they folded a week later, then my plans would have been destroyed since TMA makes up a good percentage of the flights to Rockford.

As for people getting their money back, there shouldn’t be too much problem. Charter airlines must put ticket revenue in a special account that cannot be accessed until the carrier actually transports the passengers. People with future bookings should have no problem getting their money back because the government has at least set up some preparation for charters going belly up unlike scheduled carriers. I feel sorry for the stranded people. I am sure that some of those people that I flew RFD-LAS with are probably stuck now, and as far as I know, scheduled carriers aren’t honoring TMA tickets.
If you have never designed an airplane part before, let the real designers do the work!

HJAIA

Fri Sep 30, 2005 10:37 pm

At 2100/29September TransMeridian Airlines ceased operations.
All employees were terminated.

roseflyer

Fri Sep 30, 2005 11:08 pm

Interestingly enough the website is still up and running. I don't think the reservations fully work though.

http://www.tmair.com/
If you have never designed an airplane part before, let the real designers do the work!

777DadandJr

Fri Sep 30, 2005 11:11 pm

Well this blows! No more cheap non stops to Florida from MDT!
Guess, I have to make alternative plans for Disney next year.

Russ
My glass is neither 1/2 empty nor 1/2 full, rather, the glass itself is twice as big as it should be.

LN-MOW

Fri Sep 30, 2005 11:12 pm

Holy smoke - this came out of the blue!
I was called Tuesday about a job interview .... guess that's no longer going to happen..
- I am LN-MOW, and I approve this message.

FlyBoy84

Fri Sep 30, 2005 11:33 pm

Quoting Stl1326 (Reply 11):
This sucks for BLV

Yes, it does suck.

I, too, had heard that TransMeridian was a good airline and that, despite the fact that some Missourians think BLV is too far away, their flights were doing well...without a lot of advertising, if any at all. Unlike USA3000, I never saw any billboards for TransMeridian!

Hopefully, someone like HootersAir will step in and fill the void. If they fly to MCO from BLV, then I might use them one day on a trip to Orlando and Tampa.

MidAmerica deserves to succeed! (Lambert just can't last forever; band aids will only work for so long )  banghead 

airfrancejfk

Fri Sep 30, 2005 11:52 pm

As BWIA425 said, I wonder what will happen to the TravelSpan service operated by TMA between JFK-POS-JFK. I looked at the Terminal 4 website at JFK Airport for information on Thursday evening's Travelspan flight from JFK-POS-JFK, but no information given.

View Large View Medium

Photo © Michael F. McLaughlin

I remember their flight as always being full. Actually, hardly a flight where a passenger or two weren left behind due to lack of space. Interesting to see if TraveSpan will get another broker or maybe Bwee will cash in on the shortfall. Who knows?

hiflyer

Sat Oct 01, 2005 12:06 am

Would assume most aircraft leased. They did have an operating certificate that had 320's on it which would be perfect for Sir Richard Branson to pickup on a chapt 7 sale but other than that not sure what else there was.  Wink

FRA2DTW

Sat Oct 01, 2005 12:34 am

I think that North American Airlines might pick up some of the left-overs, especially those that can be profitably served from JFK with the 757. Interestingly, TMA's previous top management team is now at World Airways, the owners of NAA.

slider

Sat Oct 01, 2005 12:53 am

Quoting HAL (Reply 33):
Very sad. Most of their pilots were furloughees from TWA,

Several of their management employees as well.

Quoting RoseFlyer (Reply 53):
As for people getting their money back, there shouldn’t be too much problem. Charter airlines must put ticket revenue in a special account that cannot be accessed until the carrier actually transports the passengers.

Precisely right- that may be part of their problem as well, because as they're certificated, they couldn't realize the revenue until services rendered. I would guess that put a dent into their liquidity which in turn, put more pressure on their finances in general to the point of being untenable.

PHLBOS

Sat Oct 01, 2005 12:56 am

Quoting 777DadandJr (Reply 56):
No more cheap non stops to Florida from MDT!

You may want to consider heading over to BWI and fly either FL or WN.

Anyway, it's a shame. With TMA gone, TOL, where my father used to live, now has no more mainline passenger services; it's now all turboprops & rjs.
"TransEastern! You'll feel like you've never left the ground because we treat you like dirt!" SNL Parady ad circa 1981

wjcandee

Sat Oct 01, 2005 12:57 am

Quoting Airfrancejfk (Reply 59):
As BWIA425 said, I wonder what will happen to the TravelSpan service operated by TMA

As the previous posters mentioned, NAA is a good candidate to pick up that service, unless it feels that it can more profitably service the AMC with its 757s, as it did in September. More importantly, perhaps, the charters sponsored by travel agencies or travel companies (ad hoc and track) should continue seamlessly. Fact is, there is plenty of lift available from other charter providers to cover the demands of this slow season, and it should be no big deal for any of them to ramp up by an aircraft or two by the time the busier seasons come around. I'm sure that Ryan, Pace, Miami Air, North American, Allegiant, and Omni (or even perhaps Spirit, Airtran or some other LCCs during this slow season), would be delighted to work in the travel agency or inclusive tour business that was being handled by TMA. And maybe they will have some opportunities for some of the TMA crews.

Best,

Bill

roseflyer

Sat Oct 01, 2005 1:14 am

Quoting Slider (Reply 62):
I would guess that put a dent into their liquidity which in turn, put more pressure on their finances in general to the point of being untenable.

That can be a big problem for them. Liquidity crises can happen to all sorts of companies and isn't necessarily dependant upon how profitable a company is. A number of fast growing tech companies folded in the 90s because they grew faster than their funds could manage, and they ran themselves out of cash. The problem here is that if TMA needed to generate more cash, they couldn't do it by having a fare sale or something like that because they would not actually see the money until too late. However I don't know the finances of the company, so I can only speculate. But it is unfortunate to see them go. The airline really seemed like a good little company and moral seemed high when I flew with them last friday.

skibum9

Sat Oct 01, 2005 2:19 am

Quoting Redngold (Reply 27):
SHU... not low enough for me Wink

Sir...it is your line of thinking that is putting the airlines out of business in the first place! If you want dirt cheap fares, take Greyhound!

Quoting PHLBOS (Reply 63):
Quoting 777DadandJr (Reply 56):
No more cheap non stops to Florida from MDT!

Take Greyhound!
Tailwinds!!!

andrewuber

Sat Oct 01, 2005 2:42 am

Site is now shut down. Sad to see them go, but I have a feeling we'll be seeing them back soon in one form or another.

Drew
I'd rather shoot BAD_MOTIVE

roseflyer

Sat Oct 01, 2005 2:54 am

Quoting AndrewUber (Reply 67):
I have a feeling we'll be seeing them back soon in one form or another.

Care to give us any hints on why you have that feeling? All of TMA's scheduled public charter routes can be filled by other carriers for the most part. Will they come back as a pure charter airline? TMA did have a loyal following in some parts of the country like Rockford Illinois.

srbmod

Sat Oct 01, 2005 5:11 am

Quoting AndrewUber (Reply 67):

Site is now shut down

It's back up with the following headline:

TransMeridian Airlines Shuts down All Operations and will File for Protection Under Section 7 of the US Bankruptcy Code

Quoting MIAMIx707 (Reply 34):

Is this the same Trans Meridian that had 727s and A320s back in the 90s? It seems they had been a very small charter airline back then and now they were starting to finally break out. I'm very surprised by this.

Started off as the US branch of Transaer. After Transaer went belly up, they lost the A320s.

Quoting N801DM (Reply 45):
PACE is trying to pickup some of TMA's flying for today and the weekend on Vacation Express.

A bit ironic, since Vacation Express switched over to TMA from Pace. I wouldn't be surprised if Pace started flying for Vacation Express again. It wouldn't be a surprise if Allegiant started doing Vacation Express charters as well.

SkyWestFan

Sat Oct 01, 2005 5:12 am

Four Pace flights just arrived to help pick up the slack for VE. It looks as if they'll be back this evening as well.

I just want my TMA planes back  Sad

MarcF
Fiji. Its like sex - but better.

aa757first

Sat Oct 01, 2005 5:20 am

Quoting MIAMIx707 (Reply 34):
I'm very surprised by this.

This has been suspected for a very long time. It was really just a matter of when.

Quoting Tornado82 (Reply 48):

A shame that ABE loses it's second ABE-SFB link in a year's time (We had SEAL too). Good thing that Hooters picked up MCO. Maybe crossfingers we can get Delta or US or someone running an RJ down to Florida as well.

I was just thinking that too. We lost Southeast almost exactly ten months ago. I wouldn't be surprised if Allegiant moves in on us.

Quoting Skibum9 (Reply 66):

Sir...it is your line of thinking that is putting the airlines out of business in the first place! If you want dirt cheap fares, take Greyhound!

"It's your line of thinking that puts watch companies out of business when you buy Timex instead of Swatch."

"It's your line of thinking that puts computer companies out of business when you buy eMachines instead of Dell."

Air travel is not important to most people. They will go for the lowest fare available each and every time, just like some people buy cheap watches, some people buy cheap computers and some people stay in cheap hotels. It is a matter of priorities.

AAndrew

skibum9

Sat Oct 01, 2005 5:57 am

Quoting Aa757first (Reply 71):
"It's your line of thinking that puts watch companies out of business when you buy Timex instead of Swatch."

"It's your line of thinking that puts computer companies out of business when you buy eMachines instead of Dell."

Air travel is not important to most people. They will go for the lowest fare available each and every time, just like some people buy cheap watches, some people buy cheap computers and some people stay in cheap hotels. It is a matter of priorities.

Thanks kid....and I will say kid because your profile says that you are 13 - 15 years old. You just helped to prove my point.

It is the preponderance of people demanding lower prices that is causing many industries to do drastic things to keep their costs low, like outsourcing jobs. In some cases businesses cannot get their costs low enough so they go out of business. In many cases, it is these same people that complain when their job is in turn outsourced, their salaries are cut, or their company goes out of business. And in many cases, it is these same people that complain when their seat pitch is too tight, they don't get pillow, or they don't get a meal on a flight. Until this line of thinking changes, that is people pay a reasonable price, then they have no right to complain about losing their jobs or the reduced service they get on flights. It is simple economics. So based on your statement...it is a matter of priorities....I submit that peoples priorities and expectations are out of wack! Unfortunately, it is the workers who suffer the consequences.
Tailwinds!!!

bravogolf

Sat Oct 01, 2005 6:04 am

Skibum9

I agree with you that the public expects quality service for minimal cost. "Ain't no such thing as a free lunch"

N766UA

Sat Oct 01, 2005 6:04 am

Just like that?! Wow. I see them every day at the gate next to us at CLE. They just had an MD-80 in here yesterday...

ouboy79

Sat Oct 01, 2005 6:06 am

Just an FYI for spotters. TOL has gone ahead and blocked in the two TMA MD-80s that are there with the snow plows.

pillowtester

Sat Oct 01, 2005 6:20 am

Quoting Aa757first (Reply 71):

I wasn't aware that Dells were expensive, well designed computers that people own and use with pride.

I would have said Apple.
...said Dan jubilantly.

IslipWN

Sat Oct 01, 2005 6:23 am

Man that really stinks for Transmeridian. I hope that all of the employees find new jobs shortly.

Anyone here booked on a TM flight anytime in the future? If so, did they give your money back yet?

jetsetsteve

Sat Oct 01, 2005 7:49 am

I think jetblue is helping alot of the TM customers out with 50$ fares. Between MCO and Cities TM flew....You just need to Fax or e-mail your confirmation to B6 and you can get this fare.

ouboy79

Sat Oct 01, 2005 8:04 am

Quoting Jetsetsteve (Reply 78):
I think jetblue is helping alot of the TM customers out with 50$ fares. Between MCO and Cities TM flew....You just need to Fax or e-mail your confirmation to B6 and you can get this fare.

Wow that must really help all those passengers that travel to cities where B6 also served. Which would be...IAD, SJU, and...well thats about it. Big freaking deal.  Smile

jetsetsteve

Sat Oct 01, 2005 8:14 am

"Ticketed TransMeridian Customers may fly JetBlue between any two JetBlue cities on a confirmed basis starting from $50 one-way (plus taxes and fees). These Customers may have reservations with connections that include SYR, MCO, LAS, and SJU."

Quoting Ouboy79 (Reply 79):
Wow that must really help all those passengers that travel to cities where B6 also served. Which would be...IAD, SJU, and...well thats about it. Big freaking deal.

At least an airline stepped up the the table and are helping these people out... B6 also did for DH when they cxld all there westcoast flights.....

BOS2LAF

Sat Oct 01, 2005 8:42 am

Quoting Ouboy79 (Reply 79):
Wow that must really help all those passengers that travel to cities where B6 also served. Which would be...IAD, SJU

You forget they don't fly MCO-IAD.

panam330

Sat Oct 01, 2005 10:16 am

SYR now has zero non-stops to Florida. Go us  Sad. I flew TMA once- my first and only 727 ride. Good luck to the former employees.

ouboy79

Sat Oct 01, 2005 10:54 am

Quoting BOS2LAF (Reply 81):
You forget they don't fly MCO-IAD.

Please keep in mind the sarcasm in my post. Also that I was just pointing out cities the two airlines had in common. Two...unless you want to consider SFB/MCO the same market.

b727

Sat Oct 01, 2005 11:04 am

Why would they block the planes in with the snowplows. Does the airline owe money to the airport? Are the planes owned or leased? Did most of the planes return to their hub in Orlando. What happens now???

B727

OPNLguy

Sat Oct 01, 2005 11:10 am

Quoting B727 (Reply 84):
Why would they block the planes in with the snowplows. Does the airline owe money to the airport?

That'd be my guess.. Heck of a way to expedite the payment process...  Wink
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

SHUPirate1

Sat Oct 01, 2005 11:34 am

Quoting Flyboy7974 (Reply 46):
hey, sorry to tell you from above, SHUPIRATE1, but us does not fly nonstop cle-las, and they haven't for over 10 years. now maybe, you mean hp, and now the new us, but that is only as of a few days, it's still hp to us out west

Trust me when I tell you, it felt pretty strange typing in US Airways as having nonstop CLE-LAS flights, especially when you consider that you are talking to a US Airways Dividend Miles Silver Preferred member...
Burma's constitutional referendum options: A. Yes, B. Go to Insein Prison!

ouboy79

Sat Oct 01, 2005 2:38 pm

Quoting OPNLguy (Reply 85):
Quoting B727 (Reply 84):
Why would they block the planes in with the snowplows. Does the airline owe money to the airport?

That'd be my guess.. Heck of a way to expedite the payment process...

That is correct. If you ever saw the TOL airport director, Paul Toth, I wouldn't want to ever owe him money.  Wink

B757capt

Sat Oct 01, 2005 3:04 pm

Yea Pace has the VE flights for Friday and Saturday. It will be very interesting to see what happens after that.
The views written by this user are in no manner the views of my employer and should not be thought as such.

DeltaA380

Sat Oct 01, 2005 4:26 pm

A colleague at OAK who worked for North American mentioned to me (around the time World bought North American,) that his friends at Transmeridian were saying World was thinking seriously about buying Transmeridian as well. I guess they can get the aircraft even cheaper now.

Best wishes to the Transmeridian team... at the rate this industry and the country are going right now, we may all soon be saying "Brother can you spare a dime."
Vote Democratic in '06 and '08

ourboeing

Sun Oct 02, 2005 6:20 am

Did Kerry/Edward 757 come from this company?

OURBOEING

viasa

Sun Oct 02, 2005 6:39 am

Quoting OURBOEING (Reply 90):
Did Kerry/Edward 757 come from this company?

Yes this is correct!

Does someone know were the planes are stored?

They operate with 1 B727-200, 7 B757-200s, 6 MD-82s and 2 MD-83s

jjbiv

Sun Oct 02, 2005 9:01 am

N960PG and N135NJ are enroute to ROW ex-TOL (departed between 625P and 640P); N130NJ is coimg from ATL. All are ETA ROW between 7P and 745P.

I guess someone wired some cash or called a creditor's bluff today!

joe

wjcandee

Tue Oct 04, 2005 7:24 am

Any word on developments over the weekend? Any other reports on who handled the "emergency" flying and who is bidding for the additional flying? I'd think that Ron Ryan would like to get back in the game, and that the other guys should be falling all over themselves trying to get their foot in the door at the various travel agencies.

FA4B6

Tue Oct 04, 2005 7:30 am

Quoting PanAm330 (Reply 82):
SYR now has zero non-stops to Florida. Go us . I flew TMA once- my first and only 727 ride. Good luck to the former employees.

Maybe this will encourage B6 to begin nonstop SYR-Florida service with the 190s before anything else. Maybe we'll also see MCO-SJU/PSE/BQN
"Leap! And the net will appear."

ouboy79

Tue Oct 04, 2005 7:44 am

Allegiant is going in to replace TMA in TOL now. Service starts Dec 15th.

alphaomega

Tue Oct 04, 2005 9:23 am

Quoting OURBOEING (Reply 90):

Yes, N958PG was John Kerry's plane and it's chained down to the ramp in SFB. It also has all the TMA logos and titles removed.

ORDSPOTTER

Tue Oct 04, 2005 2:44 pm

I wonder what is going to happen to the funjet vacations flight out of ORD. I wonder who will pick up the routes. I wouldn't mind seeing ATA do it again. Best wishes

MARK
SHIT ALWAYS ROLLS DOWNHILL

flyboy7974

Tue Oct 04, 2005 2:56 pm

where is the press release about allegiant into toledo on dec15th. i just checked their page and the tol page and found nothing

INTENSS

Tue Oct 04, 2005 11:01 pm

Quoting Wjcandee (Reply 93):
Any word on developments over the weekend? Any other reports on who handled the "emergency" flying and who is bidding for the additional flying? I'd think that Ron Ryan would like to get back in the game, and that the other guys should be falling all over themselves trying to get their foot in the door at the various travel agencies.

Pan Am brought a 727 into Atlanta lastnight from SFB as FLT 148. Looks like a Vacation Express flight.

-Rich

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos