Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Blasphemystic
Topic Author

Movie Mayday...ON CBS (NY)

Mon Oct 03, 2005 10:34 am

Whos watching it?
Seems like a similar situation as what happened to the Helios flight.
The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good. -- Samuel Johnson

ikramerica

RE: Movie Mayday...ON CBS (NY)

Mon Oct 03, 2005 10:38 am

From the commercials, it looks like a plane is shot at and the government covers it up. That what happened with Helios? Of course not.

I hate this kind of movie. It just fuels distrust and fear for no reason.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

AC787

It does seem very similar. The movie seems pretty corny though, I like the computer model they have for there new Super Sonic Transport that runs from SFO to NRT. Interesting prospects.

wannabe

Pop a fusalage at 60,000 feet and you're dead in about 30 seconds. Those little orange O2 masks would do no good at all. Also, with two holes in the cabin, how was it that decompresion took about 5 minutes? And how about Navy operations running a missle launch from some old factory or a SOHO loft? Another dumb-assl aviation disaster movie.

[Edited 2005-10-03 03:41:14]

Blasphemystic
Topic Author

Mon Oct 03, 2005 10:39 am

Quoting Ikramerica (Reply 1):

I said similar..as in both the pilots passing out due to lack of oxygen.
Yea..too much going on in this movie.
The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good. -- Samuel Johnson

AC787

Mon Oct 03, 2005 10:41 am

Quoting Wannabe (Reply 3):
Pop a fusalage at 60,000 feet and you're dead in about 30 seconds. Those little orange O2 masks would do no good at all. Also, with two holes in the cabin, how was it that decompresion took about 5 minutes? And how about Navy operations running a missle launch from some old factory or a SOHO loft? Another dumb-all aviation disaster movie.

Thats what i was thinking. Especially since one pilot is suppose to always be wearing an oxygen mask above 35000 feet because of the insanely short amount of time you have when u decompress. At 60 000 feet it would be much much worse.

Blasphemystic
Topic Author

Mon Oct 03, 2005 10:43 am

Quoting Wannabe (Reply 3):

Yes sir!!! your are correct.
Just wanted to know who else was actually sitting thru this one. Aviation related...so it cought my interest as usual.

Markdirk

Mon Oct 03, 2005 10:56 am

I am working right now and unable to see "Mayday", I read the book though and thought it was ok, I would love to see how Hollywood portrays it, anyone know if there is another air date for it? Do you think it may come out on DVD?

jblake1

Mon Oct 03, 2005 10:56 am

This is the most idiotic non-plausible movie i've ever channel surfed over; ever!

Please let this get horrible ratings.

7e72004

Mon Oct 03, 2005 11:08 am

what in the hell kind of plane is that?!?
The next generation of aircraft is just around the corner!

Blasphemystic
Topic Author

Mon Oct 03, 2005 11:22 am

Quoting 7E72004 (Reply 9):
what in the hell kind of plane is that?!?

Looks like a cross between a 747 and a concorde... banghead 

roseflyer

Mon Oct 03, 2005 11:29 am

I read the book a couple months ago and actually thought it was rather good for an aviation disaster story and am enjoying the movie. It is by Nelson Demille and Thomas Block. It is Demille's first book so it does have some issues and is not as good as many others, but the story is actually rather good I think.

I have enjoyed the movie so far. And if you watch it with an open mind, then it is an interesting story. The aviation stuff isn't that far out there. I wouldn't say it is a great movie, but it is pretty good. The movie is more about the different layers of cover up that people try to do in America when things go wrong than about a pure aviation disaster.
If you have never designed an airplane part before, let the real designers do the work!

dtwclipper

Mon Oct 03, 2005 11:41 am

It seems to have more plot holes than a roll of life savers!
Compare New York Air, the Airline that works for your Business

wukka

Mon Oct 03, 2005 12:03 pm

Wow... after watching that bastardization, all that I can say is, "read the book".

It's much better.

I hope that DeMille and his co-author (I believe his name is Block -- actually a long-time Cappy) didn't sign off on this movie.
We can agree to disagree.

roseflyer

Mon Oct 03, 2005 12:05 pm

Ok, the movie definitely moved away from the book as it progressed. The book was a lot more morbid and disturbing, which means that it was also more interesting. The movie is a little watered down probably because it is CBS. This did leave a lot of plot holes and it was shortened significantly. Overall I guess it is little better than your average airplane disaster movie made for TV. It is too bad CBS somewhat destroyed a very interesting and captivating plot.
If you have never designed an airplane part before, let the real designers do the work!

yowza

Mon Oct 03, 2005 12:31 pm

It's on in Canada on CityTV right now. Awful movie. I particularly liked the emergency landing at the end; especially the two ambulances and one fire truck they sent out to the scene to aide a 744 landed by some random guy.

YOWza

dc863

Mon Oct 03, 2005 12:38 pm

Well the movie steered clear of the mentally handicapped pax that the book described very well. The pax play a large part of the story as one of the mentally disabled is Copilot McVary who in the movie does nothing but sit in his seat unconscious. Whereas in the book he actually moves about along with many of the other pax. The book is classic 1970s air disaster material. The cover of my edition has a plane that looks like a 747SP with a delta wing. The book describes a widebody that flies close to Mach 1. Read the book it's very very good. Probably the best air disaster novel next to Airport and Down To A Sunless Sea.

TPAnx

Mon Oct 03, 2005 1:23 pm

How many times do we have to watch " weekend pilot sucessfully lands
a passenger plane after the flight crew is incapacitated" by anything from
food poisoning to terrorists? It's been done to death. In the control tower
scene, I kept waiting for a bald guy to "pull the plug" on the runway lights.
A few interesting twists in this one..but overall, two hours of my life gone
that I'll never get back....  Embarrassment
TPAnx
PS: Books are always better than the movie...
I read the news today..oh boy

PizzaPolli

Mon Oct 03, 2005 1:24 pm

Wow, this is one of the worst pieces of sh*t I've seen. Not that I would ever expect it to be realistic, but still. I especially like how ground control gave them takeoff clearance from the gate. Also the three man cockpit is always interesting in a futuristic plane. Apparently they chose to go backwards in time, no FMC's and other advances for us, NO! A flight engineer is the ticket!
Its time like this I am glad I am leaving my job in the television industry.

[Edited 2005-10-03 06:25:46]

irelayer

Mon Oct 03, 2005 1:59 pm

Hmm...it is halfway through this movie and I am seriously considering how they can suspend disbelief for this long. What a crock.

-IR

AirWillie6475

Mon Oct 03, 2005 3:14 pm

Wow, now I have seen everything. And I thought it couldn't get anyworse than Executive Decision. I could write a 12 page essay on all the mistakes they made in this movie. There are so many inconsistencies in the story line. I can't believe I waisted 2 hours of my life on this. There are thousands of BS mistakes in the story but the MAJOR one is how is it that these 4 individuals SURVIVED the decompression? Another one is why wasn't the pilot who had the O2 mask on able to keep it on? How is that the F/E was able to be sucked out from the front of the plane all the way to the middle of the plane? What's up with the old Navy factory/base ops? And finally how is it that the plane with litteraly no naviagion, and no explanation given, able to be aligned perfectly with the runway? I have a few other dozen questions I wan't the idiots who made this movie to answer.

707lvr

Mon Oct 03, 2005 3:35 pm

The story sounded familiar. Sure enough, I read the book back in 1979. This was an updated edition. Amazon will let you read a few pages. I actually enjoyed the movie somewhat in the sense of a Sunday TV disaster movie type of enjoyment. The heavy editing and obvious low budget at least spared us most of the awful story elements they usually put in these things - only one whiney, spoiled teenager this time. Looking for stupid stuff is always fun - like the blonde ground controller giving him takeoff clearance then moving to her other jobs running everything at the airport.

roseflyer

Mon Oct 03, 2005 10:41 pm

A lot of your questions are answered in the book.

Quoting AirWillie6475 (Reply 20):
MAJOR one is how is it that these 4 individuals SURVIVED the decompression?

The idea of a lavatory with doors that almost sealed themselves due to their inward opening nature isn't that extreme. If the door is strong enough, then it could at least keep the pressure from going so low that brain damage is caused. There were five survivors in the book. Two were saved because they were in the lower galley. But one of these flight attendants was killed by a brain dead passenger that was trying to rape her.

Another one is why wasn't the pilot who had the O2 mask on able to keep it on?

The copilot was able to get it on, but the low pressure didn't allow it to really function because at a certain point even if you are breathing pure oxygen, there isn't enough due to the low density of air.

How is that the F/E was able to be sucked out from the front of the plane all the way to the middle of the plane?

That was just a stupid addition by the movie editors.

What's up with the old Navy factory/base ops?

In the book they were in a secret control room. Only the two of them were there and they were actually debating what to do. They told Matos to shoot the plane down in the book and had him follow it. Just as Matos was going to shoot the plane, the engines gave out. Since they were in the thunderstorm, Matos could not get a visual confirmation that the plane went down, so he lied about it. In the book, the navy guys ended up killing Matos because he knew too much.

And finally how is it that the plane with litteraly no naviagion, and no explanation given, able to be aligned perfectly with the runway?

In the book Berry realizes that he is given the wrong coordinates, and has to fly back to SFO through the fog and it is quite suspensful. The plane actually is low on fuel in the book and it is a major issue. The movie just left the fuel situation as a plot hole. Also the brain dead passengers are what made the book since they were conscious and roaming around. Without them, the movie just sort of puttered out.

All in all, CBS destroyed a good book. They took out all of the controversial and disturbing parts of the book like how the plane started with five coherent people, yet landed with only three. Also the brain dead passengers, and some other interesting parts were just left out. What you are left with is a safe for everyone interesting to no one movie. The worst part was how they just destroyed the ending. But you have to read the book to see how it really happens, and it isn't just a happy go lucky landing and then everyone jumps out the shoots ending like the movie makes you think.

BlueSky1976

Mon Oct 03, 2005 11:03 pm

One thing I could not comprehend is how dumb-a$$ this weekend pilot was. I mean they tell him to cut the fuel feed and he does it!! He couldn't find yaw damper switch on the autopilot either??? Jeez... What a load of horse manure...
Proudly avoiding 737 MAX since 18.11.2020.

FlyBoeing

Mon Oct 03, 2005 11:11 pm

Didn't see the movie but I was intrigued to see that somebody was thinking about accurately depicting the horror of being on a plane with 300 brain-damaged passengers. Kind of like an airborne version of "Dawn of the Dead".

How did the movie producers manage to gloss over the passengers if they weren't brain-damaged? Did they all die or what?

And what about that insurance company/management deception that tried to minimize liability? Did we handwave that away also?

roseflyer

Tue Oct 04, 2005 12:01 am

Quoting FlyBoeing (Reply 24):
How did the movie producers manage to gloss over the passengers if they weren't brain-damaged? Did they all die or what?

They just left them unconcious rather than have them be incoherent zombies like Demille wrote.

Quoting FlyBoeing (Reply 24):
And what about that insurance company/management deception that tried to minimize liability? Did we handwave that away also?

That felt like the only plot point that they didn't get rid of.

Overall they took Demille's, who is a great writer, worst book and removed the interesting plot points and turned it into a movie. I wonder what it could have been like if they had chosen a better book of his (like Charm School) and had a good writer/director.

DAYflyer

Tue Oct 04, 2005 12:21 am

The whole thing sucked from start to finish.
One Nation Under God

AirEMS

Tue Oct 04, 2005 1:21 am

Ok so not all movies are up to the high standards that Airplane and Airplane pt.2 are  devil 

Fly Safe
-Carl
If Your Dying Were Flying

hemispheres

Tue Oct 04, 2005 1:43 am

Interesting, I didn't know the movie was an adaptation of a book. I thought it was just another Hollywood depiction of our military as a bumbling herd of idiots making mistake after mistake, endangering our citizens and wiling to do what ever it takes to cover it up! One more thing, don't SFO to NRT routes go across the north Pacific? At the beginning of the movie the Navy guys were standing on front of a hanger that said Wake Island. Even if the flight diverted for weather as in the movie it seems a long way south to go around a storm.
"I have to put in my two cents, but I only get a penny for my thoughts. - Someone is making money"

contrails

Tue Oct 04, 2005 1:50 am

I watched about 10 minutes, and it was indeed awful. The people who made this movie obviously know nothing about commercial aviation.

To mention a few flaws:

The communications between the captain and the tower weren't even close to accurate.

I doubt seriously that a new SST would have a flight engineer. Any decompression at 60k will lead to almost immediate death.

There's no way the crew will allow pax into the cargo hold after 9/11/01.

And finally, what kind of plane was that? It looked like a cross between a 747 and a concorde.
Flying Colors Forever!

roseflyer

Tue Oct 04, 2005 2:49 am

Quoting Contrails (Reply 29):
And finally, what kind of plane was that?

At least they made up a name. It was the Straton 797 which is far different than anything else. Obviously they couldn't have used Concorde as a name, even though that is essentially what it was.

Quoting Contrails (Reply 29):
I doubt seriously that a new SST would have a flight engineer.

The book was written in 1978 I believe, so that is why there was one. Also the workload on an SST would be higher than your average jet though it should be automated enough. The flight engineer on Concorde's primary responsibility was weight and balance in flight. A computer definitely could do that (although Berry didn't think so when he tried to do it when he was told to Smile).

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos