Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

bhxdtw
Topic Author

Prayer Areas In Aircraft

Mon Oct 03, 2005 8:33 pm

Hi, just a question Ive wondered for a while.
How many airlines have a prayer area in there acft ? and do boeing/airbus offer it as an option.
I know SV do and I heard a 'rumour' that one airline had a revolving one put in their aircraft...
is this true ?? This just interested me and I was keen to get some feed on it !
Also how many seats would an aircraft have to remove and does it cause them a loss ?
cheers !!
Jordan !

mhodgson

RE: Prayer Areas In Aircraft

Mon Oct 03, 2005 8:38 pm

Malaysia do too. The PTVs also give the direction to Mecca. you can see it on their seat maps on their website.
No trees were harmed by this message. However, several million electrons were terribly inconvenienced

keno

Mon Oct 03, 2005 8:51 pm

I suppose we could expect a "proper" prayer room on board the new A380s ordered by Malaysia Airlines, Emirates, Qatar Airways and Etihad, something that I look forward to see once they come into service.

noelg

Mon Oct 03, 2005 9:16 pm

I knew MH had them fitted, but have to say I didn't notice them onboard. Are they just like a closet or something and what is in them?

MHodgson is correct - the PTVs have a channel constantly pointing to Mecca. Interesting on a 12 hour LHR-PEN to see the arrow start off in one position and end up completely the opposite when you get closer!  Smile

georgiaame

Mon Oct 03, 2005 9:32 pm

My first overseas flight was in 1969, a non stop New York to Tel Aviv on El Al. I had been warned by family and friends, that the ultra religious would be doing their thing at the back of the aircraft. Well, after the seatbelt lights went off, and before dinner was served, a small mob of chasidem got out of their seats, (you can't have organized prayer with less than a group of 10 men) and walked to the rear of the aircraft, opened an umbrella (rain at 35,000 feet?), and thus began my trip to the ancient homeland. This, mind you, is the rear of an intercontinental 707. Because hands must be washed before prayer, the plane was equipped with a sink that was not confined to a toilet. So as we dipped a little toward starboard, Jerusalem toward port, we sailed serenely into a new age of travel.

A Happy and Healthy New Year to all!
"Trust, but verify!" An old Russian proverb, quoted often by a modern American hero

canberra

Mon Oct 03, 2005 9:59 pm

This is a photo from the prayer room onboard a Iran Air B747. Taken on a sightseeingflight from Cologne....

MyAviation.net photo:
Click here for bigger photo!
Photo © Michael Flebbe

/Michael
It takes courage to push things forward . . (Mo Mowlam)

jacobin777

Tue Oct 04, 2005 12:11 am

EK also has the direction of Mecca on their PTV's...whats interesting is to fly their JFK-DXB route, because basically one reads 4/5 prescribed daily prayers on the plane!!

maybe if they fly The WhaleJet to JFK, there will be a dedicated place for prayers.....
"Up the Irons!"

yowza

Tue Oct 04, 2005 4:21 am

Quoting KEno (Reply 2):
I suppose we could expect a "proper" prayer room on board the new A380s ordered by Malaysia Airlines, Emirates, Qatar Airways and Etihad, something that I look forward to see once they come into service.

EK and QR show direction to Mecca also but none of their birds i've been on have a designated area.

PK A few years ago flying into MLE had an empty space where people were praying though it was not designated.

Yemenia has a pre-take-off prayer broadcast throughout the cabin, I'll tel you what it doesn't inspire a tremendous amount of confidence in the pax. SV used to have the same prayer pre-take-off.

YOWza

tundra767

Tue Oct 04, 2005 7:53 am

I am not sure about MH either. I have flown them a few times on the 744 KUL-TPE-LAX in First. They seem to just have an area set aside. Not anything special. On the 777's I think they have a seperate room set aside.

PipoA380

Tue Oct 04, 2005 8:17 am

MH have a prayer room, I just discovered that a few seconds ago  Wink
It is situated on tiehr 744s on the very front of the Y class cabin. (geen zone on the picture)

Their 772 has one too, in the business class, but their 332 and 333 do not have any dedicated zone. Hope this helps. Cheers!
It's not about AIRBUS. it's not about BOEING. It's all about the beauty of FLYING.

charliecossie

Tue Oct 04, 2005 8:30 am

As someone who boards a Malaysian 777 almost every working day, I think I'd have noticed a prayer room by now. I haven't. There is a "business centre" cubicle at door 2L.

Mr pipoa380:
Your "prayer room" is actually door 2 right.

Revelation

Tue Oct 04, 2005 11:19 am

Quoting KEno (Reply 2):

Yes, it will be right between the roller coaster and the skeet shooting range!  Smile
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

ikramerica

Tue Oct 04, 2005 11:26 am

Quoting Revelation (Reply 11):
Yes, it will be right between the roller coaster and the skeet shooting range!

Actually, to save weight, i heard they had to combine the three of them...
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

Trolley Dolley

Tue Oct 04, 2005 11:45 am

I hear that Alaskan Airlines includes little cards with bible psalms as part of the meal service. Does this mean that the whole plane becomes a christian prayer room?

Cactus739

Tue Oct 04, 2005 1:44 pm

Quoting Trolley Dolley (Reply 13):
hear that Alaskan Airlines

Who's that?
You can't fix stupid.... - Ron White

AirRuss

Tue Oct 04, 2005 2:25 pm

Quoting Cactus739 (Reply 14):
Who's that?

They are a west coast airline similar to American West.

dhefty

Tue Oct 04, 2005 2:46 pm

Trust in God and Pratt and Whitney.

DLKAPA

Tue Oct 04, 2005 3:12 pm

Quoting Dhefty (Reply 16):
Trust in God and Pratt and Whitney.

Trusting in pratt and whitney is fine until you find yourself at the hands of a Trent.
And all at once the crowd begins to sing: Sometimes the hardest thing and the right thing are the same

dhefty

Tue Oct 04, 2005 4:18 pm

On a wing and a prayer.

PipoA380

Tue Oct 04, 2005 4:40 pm

Quoting Charliecossie (Reply 10):
Your "prayer room" is actually door 2 right.

My "prayer room" is not a room but a zone for inflight prayers. It's a dedicated space. Yes it's near the door but it's the best free space to do so during the flight as you don't really need "door 2R" inflight do you?
It's not about AIRBUS. it's not about BOEING. It's all about the beauty of FLYING.

MAS777

Tue Oct 04, 2005 5:29 pm

I think on MAS 747s there is a curtain which can be drawn when a passenger requests to use the prayer area. I have to admit after over 20 years of flying with them longhaul - I think I have only ever noticed it used once.

emrecan

Tue Oct 04, 2005 7:14 pm

Saudia has prayer areas.

In fact while you are in the A/C you dont need a place for prayer. You can pray while you are sitting on your seat. There is no problem...

Ps. : It is for muslims, I dont know other religions

[Edited 2005-10-04 12:16:00]

[Edited 2005-10-04 12:19:12]

JHSfan

Thu Oct 06, 2005 2:57 am

As Emrecan mentioned Saudi Arabian Airlines has a mosque in their 777 planes.

MyAviation.net photo:
Photo © Irfan Caliskan
MyAviation.net photo:
Photo © Irfan Caliskan

Is the mosque on the pictures a real mosque technically? I do not know what it takes to make a mosque.

Yours in realtime
JHSfan
Look at me, I´m riding high, I´m the airbornmaster of the sky...

HiJazzey

Thu Oct 06, 2005 4:56 am

JHSFan,

There's no such thing as consecration in Islam. You can pray anywhere you want. The only thing is technically a mosque is a "waqf": something donated to public service, which obviously a plane isn't.

charliecossie

Thu Oct 06, 2005 6:03 am

pipoa380:
I'm not the one who called the area a prayer "room". You did!
But now it's a "prayer zone"......

Kyril

Thu Oct 06, 2005 9:51 am

I'd prefer a smoking area rather than a praying area !
As I'm pretty sure religion kills more than smoke...

Why not a darkroom to join the mile high club ?
Certainly more fun !
(And before flamming me, I said "religion", means no particular one).

Kyril

afterburner

Thu Oct 06, 2005 11:06 am

Quoting Kyril (Reply 25):
As I'm pretty sure religion kills more than smoke...

What an ignorant statement!
Religions do not kill. People do (even the ones who are not follower of any religion). Even smoking doesn't kill. Smokers kill themselves and people around them by smoking.

[Edited 2005-10-06 04:13:44]

redflyer

Thu Oct 06, 2005 12:23 pm

Quoting Afterburner (Reply 26):
What an ignorant statement!
Religions do not kill. People do (even the ones who are not follower of any religion). Even smoking doesn't kill. Smokers kill themselves and people around them by smoking.

One of the most down-to-Earth statements I've read on this forum. Thank you! Intelligent life does exist on A.Net!

To my A.Net friends who are Muslim: Out of curiosity, how are prayers conducted on long-haul flights during the Haj?

I assume there are flights that are up to six hours or more that are packed with pilgrims. Given that the Haj is one of the most important religous events in a Muslim's life, if not the most important, I would expect that prayers would be an on-going event during the pilgrimage (flight). Thus, I'm curious how prayers are conducted on long haul flights when the aircraft is packed with a few hundred passengers. I assume more than a few are going to want to pray at the same time and given seat pitch on modern airliners, they obviously can't be done sitting in the seat (my ignorance may be showing here but I'm under the impression that proper prayer must be conducted by kneeling/bowing while facing towards Mecca).

[Edited 2005-10-06 05:25:36]
A government big enough to take away a constitutionally guaranteed right is a government big enough to take away any guaranteed right. A government big enough to give you everything you need is a government big enough to take away everything you have.

afterburner

Thu Oct 06, 2005 1:28 pm

If we (muslims) are on a journey in a confined place like airplanes, trains, or buses, we don't have to conduct prayers the way we do them in our houses, mosques, or other open places. We don't have to face toward Mecca. We can conduct prayers by just sitting down. We also don't have to wash our face, hands, and feet before prayers.

ramerinianair

Thu Oct 06, 2005 2:29 pm

Afterburner,
Is this just your interpretation of what a good Muslim should do? I know there are many interpretations of the Quran, is this yours or is it common acceptance that prayer can be restricted during travel?
SR
W N = my Worst Nightmare!!!!!

JHSfan

Thu Oct 06, 2005 5:34 pm

Quoting HiJazzey (Reply 23):
There's no such thing as consecration in Islam. You can pray anywhere you want. The only thing is technically a mosque is a "waqf": something donated to public service, which obviously a plane isn't.

Thanks HiJazzey.

- JHSfan
Look at me, I´m riding high, I´m the airbornmaster of the sky...

TS-IOR

Thu Oct 06, 2005 5:47 pm

Where are prayer areas situated on Saudia B777s ?

emrecan

Thu Oct 06, 2005 5:59 pm

Mdsh00:

It is so easy to arrange the prayer times... You check the time in your current position and according to this you can pray. It is not suitable if you pray according to your origin or your target. You must pray according to your current position.

PipoA380

Thu Oct 06, 2005 7:10 pm

Quoting Charliecossie (Reply 24):

That-s what was written on the webpage. Anyway, prayer Zone or prayer Room, whatever! There's a dedicated space. Good enough for you?

pr1268

Thu Oct 06, 2005 7:48 pm

One time when I was flying into MCO during a wicked thunderstorm with thunderbolts lashing all around and the plane was making strange and unusual sounds. I got really religious in seat 23F and started praying to God to help me survive this storm.

Silly
The only time an aircraft has too much fuel is when it is on fire.

highguy76

Thu Oct 06, 2005 10:38 pm

On CO's 777 to TLV we try (not always succesfully) to organize the Daven after the meal service in the aft galley. Not really a prayer room, but it serves the purpose. I like the idea of sinks outside the lav, that would really help.
If those of orthodox faith can not wait, the area around 3L and 3R usually suffices to keep them from getting run over by food carts and such. 2L and R get very busy during our BFirst service and is where we set up cheese and fruit, ice cream carts, ect. so I try to discourage people from praying there.
Highguy76

ORDagent

Thu Oct 06, 2005 11:22 pm

Quoting Trolley Dolley (Reply 13):
I hear that Alaskan Airlines includes little cards with bible psalms as part of the meal service. Does this mean that the whole plane becomes a christian prayer room?

I don't get the Bible tracts being passed out on the flight. As a private company AS does have that right but as the U.S. becomes more and more religiously diverse they have the very real risk of offending non Christian pax. As a non-Christian I personally don't have a problem with that, but I do find it odd and just a little bit creepy. Admittadly airlines reflect the culture of the country that they are based in such as making it easier for Muslim clientel or observant Jews to follow their religious rituals could just be considered good customer service but I feal like AS is prostylitizing to the general public.

EK156

Fri Oct 07, 2005 2:33 am

Quoting RamerinianAir (Reply 30):
Afterburner,
Is this just your interpretation of what a good Muslim should do? I know there are many interpretations of the Quran, is this yours or is it common acceptance that prayer can be restricted during travel?
SR

It is not his interpretation, it is stated clearly in the Quran that if you are travelling whether it was by land as they did hundreds of years ago or by air as we do now, you do not have to pray at the obligatory time. You can either save them till you arrive at your destination and perform all of them at the same time, or you can pray sitting down in your seat in the plane and it will be accepted as a normal prayer. It is a special case during travel.

Actually there is no obligation on you to pray during travel as stated in the Quran.

Regards

EK 156

sean1234

Fri Oct 07, 2005 2:51 am

Seeing that my comments on the so called "sacred stone" have been received in a fashion typical of most of the Islamic world; debate is silenced rather than engaged, I will say that some religions are really quite creative!

abefroman329

Fri Oct 07, 2005 3:29 am

Quoting ORDagent (Reply 37):
As a non-Christian I personally don't have a problem with that

Nor do I, or with the quotes to be found on the bottom of the cups from In 'n' Out Burger. It's just a little blurb on a food tray, it's not like the captain is proselytizing over the PA...

RedDragon

Fri Oct 07, 2005 5:57 am

Quoting ORDagent (Reply 37):
I don't get the Bible tracts being passed out on the flight. As a non-Christian I personally don't have a problem with that, but I do find it odd and just a little bit creepy.

(Practising) Christian that I am, although I probably wouldn't go as far as to say I'd have a problem per se with these, I'd rather AS didn't do it. It's not going to make me write to the CEO or refuse my meal in protest, but I don't think flying to Anchorage requires the airline to distribute cards telling its fares how God loves them and Christianity will save them. Let me eat my meal in peace without being preached to, please.

Having said that, I'm really pretty unlikely to change my ASless flying experiences anytime soon, so it doesn't directly affect me. That doesn't mean I'm not irked by it though.

As for the rest of the thread, I'm finding it very interesting and enlightening  thumbsup 

Rich

rjpieces

Sun Oct 09, 2005 5:05 am

On CO's 777 to TLV we try (not always succesfully) to organize the Daven after the meal service in the aft galley. Not really a prayer room, but it serves the purpose. I like the idea of sinks outside the lav, that would really help.
If those of orthodox faith can not wait, the area around 3L and 3R usually suffices to keep them from getting run over by food carts and such. 2L and R get very busy during our BFirst service and is where we set up cheese and fruit, ice cream carts, ect. so I try to discourage people from praying there.

Just wondering, but how do you like flying EWR-TLV?
"Millions long for immortality who do not know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon"

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos