Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

FlewGSW

RE: AA To File CH11?

Wed Oct 05, 2005 3:00 am

On Friday, September 30, 2005, 59 AA pilots locked in their retirment. (I think they call it a "B" fund)

59 compairs with an monthly average of about 6 or less.

So a mess of pilots that could take an early retirement thought enough about Chapter 11, October 17 law changes, fuel prices, and decided this was a good time to exercise their option.

So this discussion is needed. But I don't think AA will not file at this time.
For the 3rd quarter AA is going to post a profit and end the quarter with over $4 billion in cash/short term. (The figures won't be out until on or about October 20th.) Do the math from were AA was last quarter and that's a big jump. But now for the bad news. The 4th quarter could see a loss of over $1billion, all because of fuel. Ouch!

Tbird

Wed Oct 05, 2005 3:15 am

Quoting FlyPNS1 (Reply 6):
You can't file BK simply for "competitive" reasons. AA has plenty of cash on hand and has enough cash to fulfill all of its obligations at this time. If AA filed BK, they'd get sued big time by shareholders and probably the unions too.

The entire point of declaring Chap11 is to become a stronger airline that can compete in the market. AA also would not get sued by its shareholders as they are protected from suit under Chap 11.

Quoting MrSTL (Reply 1):
Why couldn't they achieve the same cost savings out of bankruptcy??

Simply because the creditor has to agree to your terms and can reject those terms. Under Chap 11 the creditor is forced by the court to accept whatever terms are beneficial for the airline. We saw this with UAL and US.

Quoting Commavia (Reply 2):
Not going to happen. Not only is AA's management truly, deeply, committed to not putting AA in bankruptcy

It doesn't matter how committed they are, declaring chap 11 would give them the leverage to restructure AA's debt load to a more favorable position.

Quoting Commavia (Reply 2):
The cash position is the key. I highly doubt that AA is going to file for bankruptcy with $3.6B in cash. They'd end up wasting most of it in bankruptcy, as it would get disbursed to creditors.

Not a cent of that money would go to creditors under Chap 11, which is the entire point of Chap 11. It allows you to withhold payments or reduce payments and not have creditors demand full payment. Cash is also relative to AA's size. 3.6 billion could equate to 1.6 billion if it was Northwest.

Quoting JFKLGANYC (Reply 3):
This is a Bullsh*t thread and should be deleted. There is no basis for this statement!

AA is nowhere near bankruptcy . . . and there are NO repeat NO rumors in the ranks that would even come close to suggesting that.

Arpey has stated before AA would do everything it can to remain a competitive airline including declaring bankruptcy. Industry analysts also feel AA would benefit from Chap 11.

Quoting 7E72004 (Reply 12):
Like stated before, you can't file for bankruptcy just to be more competitive. Your assets have to be less than your liabilities.

Wrong, Delta at the time they declared Chap 11 stated 21 billion in assets and 20 billion in debt. Your liabilities do not have to be higher then your assets.

Quoting Ikramerica (Reply 21):
What management? Doesn't AA management lose effective control under BK as a court approved management team can be brought in to replace them?

Only if the court and the committee of creditors feel the current board cannot run the airline. DAL's and NW's team is still there.

Quoting Tornado82 (Reply 42):
USAirways has emerged, therefore they are NOT in bankruptcy.

USAirways only emerged in the eyes of the media, US was purchased by America West Holdings Inc. and there for no longer exists and will file a Chap 7 total liquidation plan for whatever AWA didn’t purchase in the next six months. America West simply bought a almost all of US Airway's assets including the name which it will adapt. As for U.S Airways Inc. they are no longer in business.

LMP737

Wed Oct 05, 2005 3:18 am

Quoting Tbird (Reply 51):
Industry analysts also feel AA would benefit from Chap 11.

Are these the same analysts that said we should buy Delta and NWA stock?
Never take financial advice from co-workers.

commavia

Wed Oct 05, 2005 3:54 am

Quoting Flashmeister (Reply 46):
The jury's still out on that one.

Not really. For the most recent quarterly reports, AA's costs were significantly lower than United, Delta and Northwest.

Quoting Flashmeister (Reply 46):
I suspect their costs including pension obligations will be dramatically lower than AA.

I don't. Again, AA pays less right now in contributions to its employees' pension plans, per capita, than does Southwest. In addition, anyone hired with American after January 1, 2001 (may be 2000, but I think it's 2001) only has a 401(k).

Quoting Tbird (Reply 51):
It doesn't matter how committed they are, declaring chap 11 would give them the leverage to restructure AA's debt load to a more favorable position.

AA has already restructured great amounts of debt, gotten enormous release from vendors and suppliers, and is probably in the process of working out more. Again, they don't need (nor want) to go through bankruptcy -- contrary to prevailing wisdom -- in order to do all that.

isitsafenow

Wed Oct 05, 2005 3:59 am

My prediction is a pre-packaged Chapter 11 will be filed by American before 10-17. This means you have a plan in writing when you file. TWA did this in the early 90's and was out of Chapter 11 in apx 135 days.

safe
If two people agree on EVERYTHING, then one isn't necessary.

aacun

Wed Oct 05, 2005 4:21 am

I really dont understand what is happening here, but its really a shame to read some of the post that I have just read. It seems that everybody is just set on AA and CO filing for bankruptcy. Nobody thinks anymore on the effect that this will have on its employees, which should be everybodys main concern. Since when did this become a "lets see how much negative input we can provide now" forum.......... I thought the purpoise of having this forum was to constructively discuss civil aviation´s performance and voice your own opinions in how one would do things if one had the oportunity to change something. But people are becoming so unsensitive now a days and you have no idea how this is affecting lives of airline employees ( weather in bankruptcy or not). Its a shame to see the way people concentrate their negativism, directing it towards others(most of these people dont even work for the airlines themselves) I say if you dont like a specific airline, we live in America folks, just go and fly someone else.......... Thats the beauty of it. But please, try to think about employees at some of these airlines that are loosing their jobs or at risk of loosing them. Its not a pleasant situation, and nobody should be using this time to make an already bad situation worse........

So if you can´t come up with any solid suggestions for the majors on how to go about starting to fix this mess, then I think you should just reserve your comments to yourself........

And me being an AA employee........ All I have to say to my fellow co-workers at UA DL US CO and NW is that I wish for that day that all the companies may be out of this mess, and we can once again concentrate in competing one against each other,fair and square, utilizing our most valuable asset............. us the employees and the service we know how to provide.

Tbird

Wed Oct 05, 2005 4:29 am

Quoting LMP737 (Reply 52):
Are these the same analysts that said we should buy Delta and NWA stock?

Well if you're research firm told you to buy then I'd suggest you go out and get a new brokerage firm. In the last 60 days not one of the major research firms have said to buy DAL or NW in fact right now the average opinion on both airlines is "neutral". Trust me you may know the mechanics of a plane but I know the finances of the industry.

As isitsafefornow stated a preplanned Chap 11 filing could be exactly what AA might do if they so chose before Oct 17 or after. While many of you think it’s a pride issue for the board members sitting in Dallas it’s not, it’s about making American a financially stable airline, which right now they aren't. Regardless of double quarterly profits AA will come in with a full year loss. Companies are not in business to lose money.

AA has made great strides in the past few years and I hope they continue to do so. I’d hate to see my 132,514 Advantage miles go down the drain. Let AA do what is best for itself and its future operations, but pride doesn’t pay dividends to shareholders and payments to creditors.

N1120A

Wed Oct 05, 2005 4:34 am

AA, I am sure, has learned well from United's painful mistake. UA had a strong cash position and filed because they thought it would help cut costs. What ended up happening is that reorganization expenses have totally wrecked any profits they may have been able to turn. The absolute stupidest thing AA could do right now is file for Ch. 11, even under the current rules.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

CaptOveur

Wed Oct 05, 2005 5:24 am

Like stated before, you can't file for bankruptcy just to be more competitive.

You underestimate bankruptcy lawyers. That may not be a reason cited, but it could be an underlying reason. DL and NW don't have to pay creditors, so they can charge less for tickets because they have an altered cost structure. Chapter 11 is called REORGANIZATION they can file if they think they may be getting into a bad situation by continuing out of bankruptcy protection. Which is probably true.

Your assets have to be less than your liabilities.

Hardly
Things were better when it was two guys in a dorm room.

tockeyhockey

Wed Oct 05, 2005 5:29 am

Quoting AADC10 (Reply 40):
Quoting Tockeyhockey (Reply 30):
ok, this thread is completely nuts. you can file for bankruptcy at any point, regardless of how profitable you are, but you are not guaranteed that the government will accept your filing! i highly doubt that a profitable company will be allowed to file for bankruptcy.

AA has just barely been profitable and if jet fuel stays in the $2/gallon range, that will kill any sign of profits in the future. They are also deeply in debt, although not as far as the other "big three."

fine, i agree with you on all counts, but you still cannot file pre-emptive bankruptcy! think about it for a second! a company knows that they will go broke in the future so they declare bankruptcy now? this is absolutely crazy, and no bankruptcy court would allow such a filing.

midnights

Wed Oct 05, 2005 5:51 am

We haven't heard any rumors here at DFW but it would not surprise any of us if it did happen. Never underestimate managments ability to find new and exciting ways to waste vast amounts of money and then cry poor to the people who make the operation work. As I have stated in previous posts, we here at DFW have come up with several ideas that would save AA several thousand $ per month only to have local management roll thier eyes and tell us it's not worth the effort.Step over a dollar to pick up a dime...AA's motto.

Tbird

Wed Oct 05, 2005 5:58 am

Quoting Tockeyhockey (Reply 59):
fine, i agree with you on all counts, but you still cannot file pre-emptive bankruptcy! think about it for a second! a company knows that they will go broke in the future so they declare bankruptcy now? this is absolutely crazy, and no bankruptcy court would allow such a filing.

Tockeyhockey I'm sorry but you're wrong. Both Delta and Northwest were not broke when they filed. They both knew that in the future they had obligations that based on what they forecasted they would not be able to sustain normal operations when those payments came due, so rather then wait till that time they filed a voluntary (pre-emptive) bankruptcy petition. Anytime a company files for bankruptcy on their own it’s considered voluntary or as you use pre-emptive. Unless a company's forecast is totally inaccurate a court would have no reason not to approve a chapter 11 filing.

AeroWesty

Wed Oct 05, 2005 6:22 am

Quoting WhiteHatter (Reply 44):
Just remember when you go into Ch.11 you hand the keys over to someone else.

Just like personal bankruptcy, the ability of senior management to manage is handed over to some third party.

Not on the U.S., unless the exclusivity period to file a plan of reorganization has expired without a court-accepted plan in place. And then it *may*, at the discretion of the court, be handed over to a third party *if* a competing plan is accepted, complete with a slate of directors to run the company.

Chapter 11 is not the same as calling in the administrators in the U.K. and many other countries. Chapter 11 isn't called "debtor-in-possession" for nothing.  Smile
International Homo of Mystery

flashmeister

Wed Oct 05, 2005 6:44 am

Not really. For the most recent quarterly reports, AA's costs were significantly lower than United, Delta and Northwest.

That's not a valid comparison. You're saying that AA's costs were lower than United, which hasn't completed the Chapter 11 process yet, or Delta or Northwest, which are just beginning it. The point is that in Chapter 11, all three of these carriers are getting rid of their pension obligations, in whole or in part.

Last quarter, if AA did that, it would have added millions to the bottom line. AAs pensions are $2.7 billion underfunded, meaning the $75 million contributions quarterly aren't at all making up that gap. This $2.7 billion remains a liability as long as the pensions stay around, and that's a liability that the other carriers either don't have or are getting rid of.

As far as AA's numbers being higher or lower than UA's, you're both in the 10-cent range. Consider this: in airlines in Chapter 11 cannot hedge fuel. Granted, American's Q2 hedges were minimal, but they were more than UA had. I'd say AA's cost advantage isn't as great as some say.

Nobody thinks anymore on the effect that this will have on its employees, which should be everybodys main concern.

This thread is primarily about whether Chapter 11 is a good idea for American. Unfortunately, employee welfare doesn't play a big role on a balance sheet (see comment earlier on pride's position on the balance sheet). That being said, there is definitely an impact, and while it's bad in the short term, it's good in the long term.

The longer the "old way of doing business" with defined-benefit pensions and old-school business plans remain in force, the longer that instability and uncertainty will confront employees at legacy carriers. Ask folks at Southwest if they have a feeling of job security -- chances are that they do.

The sooner that AA, and the others, can do business by the same book as the LCCs, the sooner that stability will spread.

kevi747

Wed Oct 05, 2005 6:48 am

Quoting AACUN (Reply 55):
Since when did this become a "lets see how much negative input we can provide now" forum.......... I thought the purpoise of having this forum was to constructively discuss civil aviation´s performance

spit  You MUST be new here.  Wink
"Reality has a well-known liberal bias." --Stephen Colbert

vv701

Wed Oct 05, 2005 8:27 am

Here in the UK we are pretty proud of our record as innovators with products like the first jet fighter, the first turboprop airliner, the first jet airliner, the first VTO fighter and, with our friends on the other side of the English Channel, the first (and last?) supersonic airliner. But while we can invent them we do not have a brilliant track record at selling them although at least one - see my name - was a sort of commercial success. Commercial success? Yes that's what we expect our friends on the other side of the Atlantic to achieve.

Look at the BAC 1-11. Now look at the DC-9/MD-80. Similar concepts. The 1-11 came first. The DC-9/MD-80 was commercially successful.

Look at the HS 121 Trident. Now look at the B727. Similar concepts. The 121 came first. The 727 was commercially successful.

So why can the USA not do it with airlines? Perhaps the American legacy airlines need to look at the likes of BA, Lufthansa and even Air France and see how their strategies differ from their own. After all competing against Southwest cannot be terribly different to competing against Ryanair, easyJet, germanwings and Air Berlin can it?

7e72004

Wed Oct 05, 2005 8:40 am

Tbird...and Captover...i suggest you go and read the US Bankruptcy code before you start spitting out something you have no clue about.
The next generation of aircraft is just around the corner!

UAMAYBACH1239

Wed Oct 05, 2005 8:54 am

Quoting N908AW (Reply 8):
AA has a lot of pride. I'm thinking they know well enough that Chapter 11 isn't all it's cracked up to be.

Pride doesn't pay the bills, the employees, or the shareholders, and chap.11
is verymuch what it is cracked up to be. If an airline has a choice of staying in business or to shut down, there is no question they will file. I dont think AA is in any way leaning towards Bankruptcy.  Cool
 Cool
a/c flown 737-222/322/522 757/747-1-2-4, 767-2-3, 777-2-3, A319-20, DC10-10-30, L1011-3-5, 727-222adv, MD85-90 flyourfri

ikramerica

Wed Oct 05, 2005 9:03 am

Quoting TAN FLYR (Reply 47):
There is a lot of speculation in today's price...sooner or later it will come down to closer 50.00

Dropped over $2 today.

Quoting VV701 (Reply 65):
Perhaps the American legacy airlines need to look at the likes of BA, Lufthansa and even Air France and see how their strategies differ from their own

No offense, but you all have a couple of big international airports, and countries the size of texas, half texas, and 1/4 texas with very dense population bases served by rail networks. And from all 3 countries and ALL your airports, you can go non-stop to most of the world, and could for quite a while. You also have international flag carriers that have little competition from their home markets with other airlines from their country. And with BA, despite VS, BA owns LHR and can use it how it sees fit.

The USA is vastly different than those three nations in far too many respects to say our carriers could follow the model of your carriers and all would be fine. Just isn't the case.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

N908AW

Wed Oct 05, 2005 9:11 am

Quoting UAMAYBACH1239 (Reply 67):
Pride doesn't pay the bills, the employees, or the shareholders, and chap.11

True, but when airline pride is in the hearts of your employees they tend not to block traffic with their picket signs like our friends up in Eagan are.
'Cause you're on ATA again, and on ATA, you're on vacation!

db373

Wed Oct 05, 2005 9:27 am

Quoting ATA767 (Reply 41):
Lets not forget. AA I am sure is seeing an increase in traffic as they are the only carrier in the US that people fell confident about as they are not in BK.

You really think the average customer when booking a ticket really cares whether the airline is in bankruptcy or not? Nothing changed when DL and NW filed for bankruptcy: The average customer is still going to go with the cheapest fare.
Keep Delta My Delta

aa777flyer
Topic Author

Wed Oct 05, 2005 9:35 am

There is a lot of speculation in today's price...sooner or later it will come down to closer 50.00

I highly doubt we will ever see $50 again

Quoting Ikramerica (Reply 68):
Dropped over $2 today.

True, but the crack spread was up over $2.00 pushing it to $128.00
The TSA was created to make the post office look efficient!

vv701

Wed Oct 05, 2005 10:03 am

Quoting Ikramerica (Reply 68):
The USA is vastly different than those three nations in far too many respects to say our carriers could follow the model of your carriers and all would be fine. Just isn't the case.

Please note I did say 'look' and not 'adopt' or 'copy'. Simply refusing to look because you know you are different without first looking . . .

But is Europe so vastly different to the USA? Consider European countries as US states. Difficult I know because each of those countries has at least one airline and if the country is a member of the EU there is no limit within the EU where those airlines can operate. So just as Texan airline AA can fly from NY to Miami, so British based easyJet operates a hub in most European countries of any size.

You consider BA 'owns' LHR. Yet it shares it as a home base with VS and BM. More relevantly it has just 46 per cent of LHR's slots, a far lower proportion than AA at DFW or DL at ATL for example. On an 'international' basis the competition is high because, as you point out, you can fly from LHR to anywhere. And this competition is heightened by the policy followed by the LHR slot committee. This is that any newly created slots should be first offered to airlines not currently operating into LHR. (Obviously they cannot be offered to CO, DL, US or NW as the Bermuda 2 agreement between the UK and US government limits flights to the USA from LHR (but not other London or UK airports) to no more than two UK and US airlines plus those overseas airlines to who both governments are prepared to give fifth freedom rights.)

European 'legacy' carriers compete against the world's second and third largest LCCs, FR and EZ both of whom have their main hub in the UK. Some European 'legacy' carriers like BA and Lufthansa and more recently Air France do this successfully. Others like Alitalia and Olympic do not.

I know that we Europeans can always learn something from Americans. Respectfully, to say the US airline industry is unique and can learn nothing from anybody else is indicative in my personal view of why it is having such a very big problem.

isitsafenow

Wed Oct 05, 2005 11:21 am

7E72004....Sorry to rebutt, counselor, but they are not that far off base.
Anyway, I doubt if many have read the entire bankruptcy laws. Like the IRS code, they change a bit each year with a minor overhaul coming in a couple of weeks. I'm not an attorney but I hang with a few that have a few years and cases under their belts. Without mentioning names, they bring up good conversations about situations including Chapter 7, 11 and 13's.
safe

AeroWesty

Wed Oct 05, 2005 11:22 am

Quoting 7E72004 (Reply 66):
Tbird...and Captover...i suggest you go and read the US Bankruptcy code before you start spitting out something you have no clue about.

I assume you are attempting to reinforce your notion that a company or individual must have more liabilities than assets to file bankruptcy. There you would be wrong yet again, as has been pointed out by a number of posters to this thread.

A company or individual could be very rich in illiquid assets, with loans or other obligations called due, with little cash to pay for them, and have its bankruptcy filing accepted by the courts.

There is no line on the bankruptcy filing form that says "subtract liabilities from assets, and only proceed to the courthouse if a negative number."
International Homo of Mystery

aa757first

Wed Oct 05, 2005 12:34 pm

1986..the oil price collapse. Check your History. Oil was over 32.00 per barrel when Reagan took office in 1981. He signed legislation de-regulating oil price controls and the market drifted lower then in the spring of 1986, the Saudi'd flodded the world market with crude..and the more than 10 buck drop in oil ensued.

This argument is invalid. Your saying the oil prices were high in the early 1980s? Well, in the early 1980s you had a some very regional low-cost carriers. Back then the average LCC was a ten plane operation that flew to maybe twelve cities. Southwest was in what? Texas and parts of the West Coast? PSA was running into trouble, and they were only out West. AirCal, I assume, was starting to get into some trouble. There was AirFlordia in the Southeast and that was it for the big ones. America West flew to two dozen cities on the West Coast and BWI, JFK and ORD. For the most part each carrier was in one region, which put it at a huge disadvantage when compared to the big guys at the time, like TWA, Eastern, Delta and United. It was much easier for the big guys to charge a higher fare than it is now.

Quoting VV701 (Reply 65):
After all competing against Southwest cannot be terribly different to competing against Ryanair, easyJet, germanwings and Air Berlin can it?

Yes. Look at RyanAir. They don't even have window shades. They are an extreme LCC. easyJet, while not as extreme, is still very tight with its money. I'll admit I'm not too familiar with germanwings or Air Berlin, but I bet at the very least they charge for soft drinks. And I don't think any of these offer connections, do they?

The problem is, you can sometimes find better service for a lower price on LCCs. jetBlue has a fresh, pleasant workforce, large amounts of legroom, XM, DirectTv and an amazing brand identity. All of the LCCs, or the big ones at least, have frequent flier programs. You can buy fully refundable tickets on Southwest, possibly others. They all have very similar cabin service, save for Continental's, who has the best in the industry.

LCCs in Europe and LCCs in the United States can barely be compared. They are vastly different and what works for Air France in Europe won't work for US Airways in America.

AAndrew

vv701

Thu Oct 06, 2005 12:40 am

Quoting Aa757first (Reply 75):
Look at RyanAir. They don't even have window shades.

Ah! No window shades! Now I understand. Southwest's ace up their sleeve is their window shades! If FR ever finds out AF, BA and LH will be in real trouble!

Sorry Aa757first. But I feel you sort of walked into this one.

masseybrown

Thu Oct 06, 2005 12:58 am

The importance of October 17th has been wildly overstated even in the business press. The dreaded October 17th is the "Y2K" of bankruptcy - pretty much a non-event for businesses. It is much more important to personal bankruptcy.

Tbird

Thu Oct 06, 2005 5:12 am

Quoting 7E72004 (Reply 66):

Would you care to expand on your answer or do you simply want to contribute nothing to this thread? Please back up your statement, because if AeroWesty is right in what you are referring to, he's right and you are wrong sir. I've consulted on Chap 11 filings before. If AA feels they will have a liquidity issue six months from now they can file for a chapter 11 today to head off that problem.

qqflyboy

Thu Oct 06, 2005 5:25 am

Quoting Airbazar (Reply 33):
LOL, keep dreaming. Where these the same experts that said oil would never go above $60?

From a Saudi oil minister. Expert enough?
The views expressed are mine alone and do not necessarily reflect my employer’s views.

flashmeister

Thu Oct 06, 2005 6:21 am

Quoting Airbazar (Reply 33):
LOL, keep dreaming. Where these the same experts that said oil would never go above $60?

Quoting QQflyboy (Reply 79):
From a Saudi oil minister. Expert enough?

Who knows? Until we hear from the marketing folks at Exxon and Chevron, anything's possible... and, by the way, the Saudis can pump out as much cheap oil as they want. As long as the demand for cheap oil in China keeps rocketing up, things aren't going to get back to the "normal" we used to know here in the US.

Get used to $2+ gas, folks.

777STL

Thu Oct 06, 2005 10:10 am

All this arguing over a bloody rumor that hasn't even been substantiated. Despite what all the aviation "experts" here think, there's nothing to support even the notion that AA might file bankruptcy. You guys are getting all worked up over nothing.
PHX based

isitsafenow

Thu Oct 06, 2005 10:24 am

77STL....With over three years experience on this site, I figured out that about one third of the threads are "worked up over nothing". That's what makes them so much fun and thats why we come back for more.
safe

N908AW

Thu Oct 06, 2005 11:02 am

Quoting 777STL (Reply 81):
All this arguing over a bloody rumor that hasn't even been substantiated.

{GASP} HERE? ON A.NET? God forbid.
'Cause you're on ATA again, and on ATA, you're on vacation!

777STL

Thu Oct 06, 2005 9:12 pm

Freaking out over nothing.....

http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/business/12826482.htm

If AA files bankruptcy in the next week, again, I'll be incredibly surprised.
PHX based