Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

UAL747
Topic Author

CO F/A Interview Set For Oct. , Need Advice

Tue Oct 04, 2005 1:20 pm

Okay, well, my dream of living at 35,000 ft. is in the beginning stage of becoming a reality. Talked with inflight recuiting with Continental today, actually several times, and they are flying me to IAH for an initial interview mid October.

I have previous work experience in Governmental Relations, Public Relations, and Customer Service, along with several internships done throughout college. I hold my degree in Liberal Studies with a focus on Business Administrative Leadership/PR. I also speak fairly fluent French and fundamental Mandarin Chinese.

The position is with Continental Mainline operations based at EWR.

My questions are:

1. What to expect at the interview
2. How to better prepare myself for the interview
3. If I acquire set position, I will need to move to the NYC area. How do F/A's go about getting a place with other F/A's?
4. How does seniority work, and how do I go about getting routes that I'd like? (International routes in particular).
5. Finally, I fear that I will be making less money with CO than I do at my current job, but it's been my dream to work in the airline industry, and it could possibly open doors as far as my career goes. So do I take the conservative approach and keep my current job, or do I take a risk to get out of Oklahoma and fly for a good part of my life?

UAL
"Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy. Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy.....Okay, fine, we'll just turn 190 and Visual Our Way

VHXLR8

RE: CO F/A Interview Set For Oct. , Need Advice

Tue Oct 04, 2005 2:28 pm

Quoting UAL747 (Thread starter):

Don't know exactly how CO goes about recruitment, but if they're like a lot of other airlines you can expect group interviews, psych testing, a lot of hypotheticals, panel interview, medical etc. It can be daunting, but try to relax, the last thing they want is someone who stresses under pressure.

Familiarise yourself with as much CO info as you can. Go online and get some general knowledge about where they fly, what they , their core philosophies, mission statements etc.
Make sure you look the part; full business attire is a must, as is a conservative yet classy image. Make sure you're clean shaven, short tidy hair etc.

3. If I acquire set position, I will need to move to the NYC area. How do F/A's go about getting a place with other F/A's?

Sorry dude, i've no idea : )

4. How does seniority work, and how do I go about getting routes that I'd like? (International routes in particular).

It's a simple system really; the more senior you are, the more say you have as to when and where you go. The more senior F/As bids are given first priority, then it goes down the list. Basically, you get what those above you don't want. So don't go excpecting Honolulu or Tokyo trips for quite a while (maybe off reserve). I don't know how CO works in terms of international vs domestic trips, but i'm guessing you may start in domestic. Having said that though, your language skills will help you a LOT!!

5. Finally, I fear that I will be making less money with CO than I do at my current job, but it's been my dream to work in the airline industry, and it could possibly open doors as far as my career goes. So do I take the conservative approach and keep my current job, or do I take a risk to get out of Oklahoma and fly for a good part of my life?

Can't answer that, that's something you've got to think about. But remember that it's not all about money. Being an F/A is a major lifestyle thing; the flexibility, the great people, the perks etc.

Above all dude, Good luck!!!  Smile

gman3

Tue Oct 04, 2005 2:41 pm

Remember, we are also hiring at UA for classes starting in January. I am just passing this on for those who may be interested or know of people who are.

Trolley Dolley

Tue Oct 04, 2005 2:44 pm

There is no way that I can comment on what to expect as I'm not crew, but I remember speaking to an SAA cabin crew recruiter after a day of interviews. (She and her husband runs a B&B in Johannesburg I can highly recommend.)
Anyway, she said that just about everyone says they want to be an F/A because they "like people and want to travel" and she wanted to scream if she heard it again.

If you can think of something a little different when asked this question- while still saying that you don't want a 9/5 life and that you want to care for people- you'll probably stand a better chance of being remembered for the right reason.

Good luck!

MarshalN

Tue Oct 04, 2005 2:56 pm

Yeah, I don't work as a crew, but I think Trolley Dolley's advice is a good one -- make yourself stand out in a way that's positive. You don't want to sound like the other 50000 applicants for the job. Give them a reason to hire you. This doesn't mean you have ot make yourself sound weird or whacky -- that's definitely a no no, but do try to make an impression so they'll remember YOU instead of the guy next to you.

Cory6188

Tue Oct 04, 2005 9:01 pm

I would say the best way to stand out is to show them that you really, really, really want to work for Continental. Read everything you can about the company on their website - memorize their destinations, the aspects of their B/F service, the components of the Go Forward Plan, read their annual report, etc. It wouldn't be bad if you read From Worst to First, either.

I know it sounds a little excessive, but if you can show them that you're super dedicated to a company, you'll definitely stick out in their minds.

calpilot

Tue Oct 04, 2005 9:32 pm

there is no problem finding a place to live in EWR. During training you will find adds for crashpads in Newark all over the place. Many newhires will form friendships and get together to get an apartment together for the first few months until you find someplace long term. Or once you get to base, again within about 2 minutes you'll find adds looking for roomates.

Seniority in EWR is Junior by nature. However, coming in this time of year (we've been hiring all year) you'll be down towards the bottom for a while. Expect to have a reserve line for sometime, either in the domestic or International crew base. That said, sometimes I see a domestic flight attendent on my internationl flight if short on F/A's from that base.

Good luck, I think that flying around the country, or world is great as a pilot, and from what I see of the F/A world, it's much of the same. Just be aware that the pay does not always make up for some of the headaches you'll have to deal with.

RAMPRAT980

Tue Oct 04, 2005 9:33 pm

A suggestion I would make to you is to wear a dark colored suit being that CO's F/A's wear dark colored uniforms.

You go through three interviews. The first two are with F/A recruiters. I am not sure who conducts the third interview whether its another F/A recruiter or some higher-up in the company. Anyway, if during any of the interviews they reject you, they do it by telling you they have to put you in a pool and decide on whether to call you back within five business days. Within three days you get the letter, via email, telling you that "unfortunately" but yada.. yada.. yada.
With gun control there can be no democracy.. With gun control there can be no Freedom

ewr767

Tue Oct 04, 2005 10:56 pm

Hi, I would like to give you as much advice as i can, as i was once in your posistion. I am currently in the non speaker international base.

#1 Don't quit your job.

#2 Ok you really wanna fly. Then go for it. Make your dream a reality.

#3 Dark conservative suit.

#4 During the group interview, they are watching you as soon as they enter the room. They are looking to see if you are interacting with the other people in the room. Introduce yourself to a couple of other people there wanting the same thing as you. Keep it light. Smile Smile Smile. Look approachable.

#5 Why do u wanna be a flight attendant? The dreaded question. Your answer, because i like people and looking to travel, and heard continental was a great company. Kiss the job goodbye. Correct answer, something along the lines of, what you do right now, how it makes you feel to be of service to others in your current posistion, and how you would like to apply your knowledge and experince in a more challenging environment. Something along those lines. May sound cheesy, however, you will be the one that stands out. Just wait till you hear what other people say, basically the same thing. Take your time relax, breathe.

#6 If you have a group excersize, they are looking to see how you are able to work together to solve a problem. Offer suggestions for the group. Don't be overbearing. Acknowledge what other people are saying. The result may not be what you want, but thats not what they are looking for.

#7 Smile

#8 Relax

#9 Do not bad mouth your current, last employer. If asked why you want to leave your posistion and take a pay cut. Answer: somthing like its not about the money but ones quality of life and and having goals. You understand its less, but money isn't the key to your happiness. Being of service to others gives you a personal a rush or fulfillment. Once again maybe cheesy, but your the one who will stand out.

#10 People tend to rattle on and on because they get nervous. Smile at the interviewer, answer the question and shut up. Keep it short and sweet. They have heard it all before. If they want more the will ask you to elaborate. Take a breath, think, and answer the question. She/he will be staring you in the eye, its intimidating. You will feel rushed to come up with something right away. Its better to say something smart, than blurt out something stupid because you feely the are waiting for an answer. They can only go by what you say.

#11 Know something about the company. When asked do u have any questions you want to have at least 2. You should already know the answer. But it just shows your interest in Continental. Not how long will it take to get a line. Not can i get international right away. How about how has your experince been working for continental. Can you tell me some things that Continental has to off for its employess. You dont want to sound desperate this shows that you have to be impressed by them also.

#12 DO NOT DO NOT mention that you are looking to fly international. They will take that as your not flexible. More than likely you will get placed down the road internationally. However, if you tell them that off the bat, they are goona take it that you won't be happy flying domestically, which might be where you are placed first.

Can't think of anything else right now. Further questions, let me know.

Fly764

Tue Oct 04, 2005 11:26 pm

What does a psychological test include? What kind of questions do they ask?

slider

Tue Oct 04, 2005 11:34 pm

I also speak fairly fluent French and fundamental Mandarin Chinese.

That's a huge plus- languages are a big plus. Especially Mandarin.

Quoting Cory6188 (Reply 5):
I would say the best way to stand out is to show them that you really, really, really want to work for Continental. Read everything you can about the company on their website - memorize their destinations, the aspects of their B/F service, the components of the Go Forward Plan, read their annual report, etc. It wouldn't be bad if you read From Worst to First, either.

Yup- if you want to just be a flight attendant, apply at any carrier. But if you really want to help CO excel--if you truly want to make this the best airline out there with the best in-flight service, courteous experience, then definitely best of luck to you with CO.  Smile

Junction

Wed Oct 05, 2005 1:08 am

Quoting Ewr767 (Reply 8):
Hi, I would like to give you as much advice as i can

Ewr767: Just wanted to say your post here is probably some of the best advise ever given in this forum. Anyone heading to an interview for a job at any carrier (F/A or otherwise) should print out your advise for reference.
Thanks

NYCAAer

Wed Oct 05, 2005 1:25 am

Don't be overly effusive or bubbly, either. Just be yourself- friendly, approachable, well-groomed. And remember, if one airline rejects you, go ahead and interview with someone else and don't give up. I was rejected after interviewing with UA and US. DL wouldn't even interview me because I'm a Yankee from New York and went to Catholic school. Supposedly they only hired Southern Baptists and such before they lost the discrimination lawsuit with the ex-Pan Am employees in 1991. I applied with NW and AA and was accepted by both. AA was my first choice, so I went with them and I made the right choice, despite the mess all the legacies are in right now. Of course, things were a little different when I was applying 17 years ago.

Is is still very competitive in the job market for F/As? A lot has changed since 9-11, and I wonder if there as many people looking for F/A jobs as before.

jetdeltamsy

Wed Oct 05, 2005 1:32 am

My questions are:

1. Expect a panel of recruiters and current flight attendants. You'll be asked about your experiences, relocating, what you do on your own time, etc.. Normal stuff.

2. Be perfectly groomed. Shine your shoes.

3. At training, you will be told how to find roommates in the area where you are based.

4. You will be on reserve, perhaps for years. You won't get to do much picking and choosing. And as for international flight, unless you have language skills, you can pretty much forget that for a few years.

5. You need to remember you are trying to enter one of the most chaotic industries in the world today. There will probably be layoffs in your future. You will probably be required to move several times during your career. The work is grueling. You will learn to function in a sleep deprived state.
Tired of airline bankruptcies....EA/PA/TW and finally DL.

Junction

Wed Oct 05, 2005 1:42 am

Quoting NYCAAer (Reply 12):
I wonder if there as many people looking for F/A jobs as before.

As strange as it may seem I can assure you that not only are there just as many people beating down the doors for airline jobs today as pre 9/11, but remarkably F/A recruiters can still afford to be just as choosy with their selections.
As a side note - if you can speak any foreign language (even Spanish) you will be allowed more strikes in the interview process then those who speak only English.

gman3

Wed Oct 05, 2005 2:04 am

My interview at UAL was a long process. I first went to the cattle call at LGA and I literally was the only one in a suit. I got called 2 days later for the second round at our beautiful aesthitically pleasing HQ in Elk Grove Village Township Hamlet City, Illinois Big grin
At that interview we all had a group meeting with a chosen leader in each group. We had to prioritize values. I know the interviewere were watching us from the outside. After this group exercise, we then were called in one by one. My interviewer grilled me like a burnt cheeseburger. I had to do 4 role play scenarios, explain exactly what I was doing during any lapses in employment, even the one that was only a 2 week lapse.
Anyway I got called a week later and was offered the job. As cliche as it is, just be yourself.

kevi747

Wed Oct 05, 2005 2:39 am

I responded in the non-aviation forum, but I don't know if you're checking that one or not so I'll copy it here:

Quoting NoUFO (Reply 5):
"Why do you want to work for CO?"
Do not just say "because there's a position vacant at CO". What is special at CO, why do you like the company and why do you think you are the right person?

That's so funny because when I was in college CO was hiring ticket agents and I went to a cattle call at DFW. They asked me to stand in front of the (huge) group and answer some questions.

The first thing she asked me was: "Why do you want to work for Continental Airlines?" I was so nervous that I totally froze up. I couldn't think of anything so I just said: "Because I saw your want ad in the paper." There was this awkward moment of silence as that god-awful answer hit the floor. She then politely thanked me and I sat back down. It was so humiliating.  cry  Of course, I got a rejection letter a few weeks later.

But back to your question, you should try to connect with the interviewer. Everyone else there will be very nervous too, so you can use that to your advantage. If they break you into smaller groups (like they did at AA) try to position yourself as the leader. If they ask a question, be the first to speak up. And when the others are answering look at them; listen to what they say; and smile and act interested. That's what I did and I got hired at AA.

Sometimes I think its just luck too. You have to get an interviewer you can connect with. Anyway, good luck. Post whatever happens here.

PS: Jetjack74's right, do not flinch or even hesitate when they ask if you'd be willing to relocate (and they will ask). I know for sure that will kill your chances. Just say something cheesy like: "I'd love the opportunity to get to know a new city."

Quoting Fly764 (Reply 9):
What does a psychological test include? What kind of questions do they ask?

The one I took at AA was really long (300 questions I think) and the questions repeated themselves but were slightly reworded to see if you are answering honestly, I guess. I think thats what they want, to see if you're being honest. The only question I can remember for sure (because I agonized over whether to answer honestly or give them what I thought they wanted) was:

"If you caught your best friend stealing from the company, would you report them?"

I finally decided to answer honestly and checked "No". (I really didn't expect to be hired anyway and I was still in college.) I guess it worked because they offered me the job later in the day.
"Reality has a well-known liberal bias." --Stephen Colbert

ewr767

Wed Oct 05, 2005 5:09 am

thank you for the compliment.

UAL747
Topic Author

Wed Oct 05, 2005 5:55 am

Well, I've interviewed before for other companies, not necessarily in the airline industry however. I definitely will be wearing my black suit, probably a pink or blue tie and my best shoes. I will also be bringing my resume and my portfolio. I'm a very good public speaker, though at times I think I tend to ramble. (Have to work on that). I actually feel pretty confident, but then again, I may feel otherwise at the interview. At any rate, I've learned not to be scared of the interveiwing process. There's really nothing at stake other than a second interview, but I tend to perform very well in the interviewing process since I've done it many times...however, the ideas of group thinking and problem solving are new to me, well, sort of, but I've never had an interview for a company that asked me to work as a team, other than "The Gap" when I was young. I personally don't like group interviews, because I think they are rather superficial and you don't really get to know your recruits, however, I understand that because the industry is still saturated with applicants and employees, it serves cutting down on candidates very nicely.

UAL
"Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy. Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy.....Okay, fine, we'll just turn 190 and Visual Our Way

luv2fly

Wed Oct 05, 2005 6:18 am

Go with a Blue tie and not pink, now is not the time to be trendy and in......
You can cut the irony with a knife

luv2fly

Wed Oct 05, 2005 6:23 am

Actually if you had a Navy suit that would be even better, as you would be dressing more like the actual FA's, also black to some people is to servre and cold. Also white shirt is best, nothing colored or with stripes, be conservative by all means.
You can cut the irony with a knife

MarshalN

Wed Oct 05, 2005 6:31 am

Quoting UAL747 (Reply 18):
probably a pink or blue tie and my best shoes

Never wear a pink tie, please. Blue, or a darker red, are better IMO. I wore a conservative red coloured Brooks Brother tie (they're old fashioned and boring) for interviews. Not pink. I personally would avoid solid colour ties (i.e. the Regis look). A small matter, but please tie your knot properly, if you don't do it regularly. A poorly tied tie can ruin your look and make you seem sloppy.

kevi747

Wed Oct 05, 2005 6:34 am

I personally don't like group interviews, because I think they are rather superficial and you don't really get to know your recruits, however, I understand that because the industry is still saturated with applicants and employees, it serves cutting down on candidates very nicely.

No, they'll be watching to see how you interact with the other candidates and how well you carry yourself in front of groups of people. That's part of the interview. Good luck!

Quoting Luv2fly (Reply 19):
Go with a Blue tie and not pink, now is not the time to be trendy and in......

Quoting Luv2fly (Reply 20):
Actually if you had a Navy suit that would be even better,

checkmark   yes 
"Reality has a well-known liberal bias." --Stephen Colbert

CB777

Wed Oct 05, 2005 1:50 pm

UAL747

Good luck with your interview, hopefully you get the job, I was considering myself going inflight. Maybe I'll see you at EWR someday, just stop in the control tower.

CB777

Type-Rated

Wed Oct 05, 2005 2:45 pm

Also make sure your hands are clean and nails properly trimmed. No ragged cuticles. I would recommend a manicure with a semi-gloss clear nail polish. It certainly adds to the "neat grooming" aspect, especially if you are going to be serving food!
This goes for pilot applicants as well as Flight Attendant applicants. I noticed during some of the previous interviews I have had, the interviewer glanced at my hands now and then.
And make sure you are wearing relatively new shoes. Nothing looks worse when a person walks away and you look down and see worn heels on the shoes, and they WILL look at you as you walk away!
Fly North Central Airlines..The route of the Northliners!

NYCAAer

Wed Oct 05, 2005 9:40 pm

I wore a navy blue suit, a white shirt and a red and blue striped tie to my AA interview back in the '80s and was hired. Maybe you should wear blue with gold to your CO interview. You never know! And good luck!

highguy76

Wed Oct 05, 2005 10:29 pm

I am a EWR based international FA for CO, and the advice given here in this fourm sounds right on the money. Especialy that of VHXLR8 and Ewr767. Your language skills will definately help, and if you are fluent, may put you closer to flying international, especialy the mandarin.

Even if you don't want to go into a language speaker base, we are expanding our international flying out of EWR, and 2 of the 3 most recently announced destinations (New Delhi, CPH) have no speakers on the flights. You may get into that base sooner than you think. Good luck, and I hope to see you around the system soon.
Highguy76

SlamClick

Wed Oct 05, 2005 11:05 pm

I'm a very good public speaker, though at times I think I tend to ramble. (Have to work on that).

Work on it for sure. Rambling makes a person look mentally disorganized, undisciplined and insecure. Not good images to convey as they are thinking about training you in emergency procedures. Being comfortable speaking to an audience will serve you very well.

Here is a phrase for you to memorize:

"I like to travel and I love people."

Memorize it so that you don't speak it during the interview. It is trite, worn-out; a joke among interviewers.

Last: Watch View From The Top before your interview and after you've been hired and flown for a few months. See if it doesn't get funnier.

Good luck.
Happiness is not seeing another trite Ste. Maarten photo all week long.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos