Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

cornish

RE: Laymans View Of BMI

Thu Oct 06, 2005 10:41 pm

Quoting Orion737 (Reply 48):
Its coming to something when an airline cannot provide an old lady with a cup of tea to wash down her blood pressure medication.

Blood pressure which must have soared from the shock of something that you could have avoided by telling her before she flew  Wink

you sly fox Orion. I think somebody should warn his wealthy granny that her favourite grandchild is plotting to finish her off  Wink

7LBAC111

Thu Oct 06, 2005 10:56 pm

Quoting Catatonic (Reply 46):
Well at least he could TRY and put his arse to some use!

Nah. That'd be too much effort. He'd just ask his grandmother for the cash up front.

Is it so wrong to expect some semblance of service?

Not if you pay for said service no.

Its coming to something when an airline cannot provide an old lady with a cup of tea to wash down her blood pressure medication.

Correction. Airline could provide said tea. Granny couldnt provide said cash. Quite a difference. And if it was for medication, I'm certain the crew would have provided some water, had Granny asked.

Quoting Orion737 (Reply 49):
Oh and incidentaly, I would never bend for one of those cheating, bent, smarmy businessmen who cheat on their wives and treat people who arent in management as though they were unclean.

Can I hear violins?

Quoting Orion737 (Reply 54):
When I inherit my fortune will you marry me Cornish?

I think he'd rather masturbate with sandpaper than marry you Orion.

7LBAC111

speedbirdcrew

Thu Oct 06, 2005 11:03 pm

Its coming to something when an airline cannot provide an old lady with a cup of tea to wash down her blood pressure medication

I do think you are being a bit over dramatic arent you? I mean they can provide you with water from the tap theres loads of the stuff loaded in the bottom of the aircraft in a big tank!

I honestly dont see the problem with not offering anything on a flight as short as LHR-MAN its generally an hour between getting on and off the plane and I think most of us can survive without a hearty meal in this time now cant we. Well I can anyway......

cornish

Thu Oct 06, 2005 11:05 pm

Quoting Speedbirdcrew (Reply 61):
I honestly dont see the problem with not offering anything on a flight as short as LHR-MAN its generally an hour between getting on and off the plane and I think most of us can survive without a hearty meal in this time now cant we. Well I can anyway......

yes but its very clear now - he's moaning becuase every time his Granny has to pay for something, his inheritance gets slightly less  Wink

Quoting Catatonic (Reply 60):
Quoting 7LBAC111 (Reply 57):
I think he'd rather masturbate with sandpaper than marry you Orion.

Oh I dont know, I think it may have its advantages,

Nope - I'm still off to B&Q later Big grin

Orion737
Topic Author

Thu Oct 06, 2005 11:12 pm

I think she and many other passengers can manage for an hour without a cup of tea. What i was saying was that BMI lost a long standing and loyal customer through their new 'we will take less care of you and offer a no-frills service' approach.

My gran must have spent thousands flying with BD over the years. She flew regularly on the Viscounts as well as a multitude of times on BD from LBA_JER. She flies to jersey a couple of times each year with BMIregional and even though I explained she will still get a drink on that particular route, due to BMIs crazy differing service concepts, she said because of that experience, were the cabin crew were so mean and unobliging (just coz she dint have correct change) they have lost her for good.

Whatever happened to BMIs service ethos and the personal touch. Would giving one free cuppa to a parched old lady without any loose change break them? through their actions they have lost a good customer.

7LBAC111

Thu Oct 06, 2005 11:13 pm

Quoting Orion737 (Reply 58):
The way you and Cornish, stick together 7L, he would probably want to fetch you along too

But you see it's not just us. I suggest you read your Air Burkina A319 thread again.

In case you can't find it, it's HERE

7LBAC111

7LBAC111

Thu Oct 06, 2005 11:19 pm

VV701 - for your reference.

Quoting Orion737 (Reply 64):
What i was saying was that BMI lost a long standing and loyal customer through their new 'we will take less care of you and offer a no-frills service' approach.

Now Orion, king of double standards. Which is it?

she said because of that experience, were the cabin crew were so mean and unobliging (just coz she dint have correct change) they have lost her for good.

or

Quoting Orion737 (Thread starter):
She said to crew 'I fly with yu all the time and never have to pay' the cabin crew, she said, were most apologetic but didnt have sufficient time/change to allow her a cuppa.

Would giving one free cuppa to a parched old lady without any loose change break them?

This parched old lady should be more prepared! How many WH SMith's do you pass at MAN and LHR before getting to the gate, where she could have bought a bottle of water 'just in case'. No, not Granny. Granny expects TEA! (free tea) to wash down her medication.

Shame on BMI for not having change. No doubt she used a £50 note.

bhxforever

Thu Oct 06, 2005 11:21 pm

Give me an address to send it to, and i'll give you £1 for your granny to buy a cup of tea if it will shut your whinging and whining up!

ORIONS TEA FOR GRANNY CAMPAIGN

Orion737
Topic Author

Thu Oct 06, 2005 11:21 pm

She has been given tea for the last 50 years on British Midland. happen she didnt know they were now a no-frills airline!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cornish

Thu Oct 06, 2005 11:22 pm

Quoting 7LBAC111 (Reply 66):
This parched old lady should be more prepared! How many WH SMith's do you pass at MAN and LHR before getting to the gate, where she could have bought a bottle of water 'just in case'. No, not Granny. Granny expects TEA! (free tea) to wash down her medication.

Hey don't blame Granny 7LBAC - she's the victim of this. The least Orion could have done was warn her and send her on her way with a thermos and a travel rug  Wink

Skymonster

Fri Oct 07, 2005 12:44 am

Well, trying to return this topic to a vaguely sensible conversation...

Fundamental problem I have with the new BMI business model is not that if you pay twenty quid each way you pay for your food and drink - I think that's fair enough (or should that be "fare enough"??  Wink ).

But when I have to book today to fly tomorrow, which I sometimes do, and I end up paying two hundred and fifty quid for the privilege and for the same crap as someone who's paid £40, I have a serious problem with BMI not including a butty and a gin and tonic in the price. If BMI would just explain why the extra £210 I (or OK, my company) pay can't provide me with just a little more than the person who booked six months out and paid squat diddly, I'd be happy. But they can't.

As a former nine-year inmate at "The Hall", I am saddened by what BMI is doing and becoming. I am also concerned that whilst their new business model might play well to the bottom end of the market, it will drive away the top end - it will drive away the end of the market they really need to retain to keep the yields up.

Anyway, I reliable friend who is still in the system at "The Hall" tells me that the new business model has thus far dysmally failed to the returns that they were hoping it would do. Nah nah nee nah nah - we told you so BMI! So maybe more kneejerks will yet be forthcoming.

aireuropeuk733

Fri Oct 07, 2005 12:55 am

Quoting Cornish (Reply 69):
happen she didnt know they were now a no-frills airline!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Which Orion could have told her about in advance so she could have had her Earl Grey in the departure lounge and saved him talking about no-frills and hot meals and a lack of cups of tea!!

AE733

BestWestern

Fri Oct 07, 2005 12:59 am

Bmi to offer sandpaper in onboard shopping revamp - Demand 'Rises' due to lack of Change!

NetworkDoc

Fri Oct 07, 2005 1:10 am

Well, BD is not the only carrier flying LHR-MAN ex-LHR...

Whether the ticket is cheap or expensive, the consumer should decide if the price is an acceptable value for money. The fact is that there is now no free catering with BD, so one has to decide at what fare level one would expect to be entitled to free food/drink and then look for an alternative.

By the way, if Granny flies on such an expensive ticket (as stated), and it is indeed a full-fare, she might want to try BA (it only has one class on board domestic flights) as she would be able to use the Lounges (where there is plenty of food and drink) and get free food/drink on board too.

However, I do think that if this is a new policy, BD should inform consumer at the time of booking.

Pe@rson

Fri Oct 07, 2005 7:02 am

I think she and other passengers can manage for an hour without a cup of tea.

About time you realised that! Now, if you mention the lack thereof or whatever else, I have full permission to shoot you.  Smile

VonRichtofen

Fri Oct 07, 2005 12:41 pm

I wonder how the STAR alliance partners feel about the degrading service onboard BMI. Considering the amount of business BMI gets via connections from STAR partners....

Kris

BestWestern

Fri Oct 07, 2005 7:23 pm

Quoting Skymonster (Reply 72):
reliable friend who is still in the system at "The Hall" tells me that the new business model has thus far dysmally failed to the returns that they were hoping it would do. Nah nah nee nah nah - we told you so BMI! So maybe more kneejerks will yet be forthcoming.

Let me guess - Cost savings arent materialising as the fixed costs are still there, and yields are falling far faster than expected. I love my £45 return flights from Heathrow to Dublin, but they cant continue with fuel the price it is! That fare includes all taxes, fees, surcharges, etc, and was booked less than a week before travel for peak flights. (Plus £3.50 for a bacon roll and £1.50 for sandpaper).

cornish

Fri Oct 07, 2005 7:39 pm

Quoting BestWestern (Reply 82):
Let me guess - Cost savings arent materialising as the fixed costs are still there, and yields are falling far faster than expected. I love my £45 return flights from Heathrow to Dublin, but they cant continue with fuel the price it is! That fare includes all taxes, fees, surcharges, etc, and was booked less than a week before travel for peak flights.

and of that 45 pounds, nearly 20 pounds of that is pure passenger charges to the airports of which BMI doesn't see a penny. then thrown in what they have to pay for landing charges, fuel, crew and other operating costs and that doesn't leave much left ovver for the company bank account does it....

[Edited 2005-10-07 12:39:59]

[Edited 2005-10-07 12:40:32]

RedDragon

Sat Oct 08, 2005 12:56 am

Wow, I haven't seen such an entertaining thread in CivAv since... well, since the Burkina Faso thread actually.

*must say something on-topic... must say something on-topic... must say something on-topic*

bmi's no-frills/high cost base strategy really isn't working at all, but then on an hour flight I wouldn't expect many culinary frills. What I would expect if I was a frequent business flier, though, would be all the extra ground perks like lounge access, dedicated check-in, blah blah blah.

I wonder if my sister-in-law was one of the obliging, apologetic, rushed/nasty, mean, vindictive cabin crew who refused to provide tea?

Of course, Granny could have always bought a tenner's worth of tea... tea for all!

Rich

7LBAC111

Sun Oct 09, 2005 1:09 am

Quoting RedDragon (Reply 68):
I wonder if my sister-in-law was one of the obliging, apologetic, rushed/nasty, mean, vindictive cabin crew who refused to provide tea?

But we're not too sure if the cabin crew were nice or not, because of the following:

Quoting 7LBAC111 (Reply 56):
she said because of that experience, were the cabin crew were so mean and unobliging (just coz she dint have correct change) they have lost her for good.

or

Quoting Orion737 (Thread starter):
She said to crew 'I fly with yu all the time and never have to pay' the cabin crew, she said, were most apologetic but didnt have sufficient time/change to allow her a cuppa.

7LBAC111

babybus

Sun Oct 09, 2005 1:53 am

The trouble with BMI is that you have to check the website everyday to see if they still fly there!

I try to look like I know somthing about aviation but with that lot I just haven't got that much time to monitor their activities.

Business model? They haven't got a business model. They fly by the seat of their pants.  spin 

Baexecutive

Mon Oct 10, 2005 1:35 am

I've just come off a bmi flight LHR/GLA, when I checked on their website last week it said complimentary drinks on this route. After asking for a cup of tea on board I was told it was £1.50, then after checking the website after the flights it miraculously says that you can purchase snacks on ALL domestic flights.

Now this might seem like a small issue but correct me if im wrong but is it not the little things added together that make a whole lot of difference? The issue is that they are advertising themselves as being full fare, charging full fare prices but really all your getting is a Low cost inflight service! In future I'll travel BA (who actually can afford to offer complimentary snacks) or if im in no hurry flyglobespan (low cost carrier which offers comp tea/coffee snack on stansted flights).

p.s. one other thing, why did they have old British Airways soap in the bathrooms? Is this another cost saving?

gigneil

Mon Oct 10, 2005 1:43 am

Just to draw a comparison... I'd get a free cup of tea on Southwest.

N

wrighbrothers

Mon Oct 10, 2005 2:12 am

Quoting Baexecutive (Reply 71):
. one other thing, why did they have old British Airways soap in the bathrooms? Is this another cost saving?

Possibly BD use the same aircraft cleaning company as BA and the cleaners put on the wrong soap ?

In future I'll travel BA

You've finaly seen light at the end of the tunnel  cheeky 

Wrighbrothers

mhodgson

Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:31 am

I thougt when BD introduced their new strategy, complimentary meals were available on GLA (as well as ABZ and BFS IIRC). Yet now they aren't. It was a bad idea to start with, but now it's affecting some of their core business routes. BFS will remain popular as there is no competition - but at the same time, there is no advantage to BD over U2, other than the airports used.

Quoting Gigneil (Reply 72):
Just to draw a comparison... I'd get a free cup of tea on Southwest.

Urgh - American's can't do proper tea!  Silly

Seriously though; it always suprised me how FR and U2 claim Southwest as their role models, claiming they copied every aspect, yet Southwest do (and always have done) offer a drink and small snack.

boysteve

Mon Oct 10, 2005 4:16 am

There has just been a vote on BBC's radio 5, it was for your favourite short haul airline. Obviously it's not scientific as the only people who take part are the ones that can be bothered to. However the result is fairly clear;

BA got 52%
BMI got 5%

Also featured where Ryanair, Easyjet and Flybe, who all beat BMI also

antixx

Mon Oct 10, 2005 4:57 am

when I checked on their website last week it said complimentary drinks on this route

You still get complimentary food/drink when flying in Business Class on the selected routes - everything else is buy-on-board. The website was updated in July with the info...

mhodgson

Mon Oct 10, 2005 6:50 am

Quoting Boysteve (Reply 75):
There has just been a vote on BBC's radio 5, it was for your favourite short haul airline. Obviously it's not scientific as the only people who take part are the ones that can be bothered to. However the result is fairly clear;

BA got 52%
BMI got 5%

Also featured where Ryanair, Easyjet and Flybe, who all beat BMI also

It isn't scientific, but if I was BD management I'd be VERY concerned at those results!

7LBAC111

Mon Oct 10, 2005 5:55 pm

In future I'll travel BA (who actually can afford to offer complimentary snacks) or if im in no hurry flyglobespan (low cost carrier which offers comp tea/coffee snack on stansted flights).

As will the majority of business travellers. Even Diamond CLub isn't as rewarding as it used to be. AFAIK.

Incidentally, wouldn't a BA Executive fly BA anyway?

7LBAC111

industrybuff

Wed Oct 12, 2005 9:08 pm

Interesting post on BMI

I had to fly with them a couple of weeks back AMSLHR It was a walk up fare - $204 euro for a 40 minute flight is highly robbery .. no cheapie fare for me !

BMI is a disgrace to the star alliance and should be expelled !

Its a poor product offering, and the cabin staff HATE the BOB concept
no one buys and they just hate doing the service. It shows all over their faces

Their uniforms appear comfortable - loose the hats - not nice at all !

Cheers

7LBAC111

Wed Oct 12, 2005 9:37 pm

Quoting Industrybuff (Reply 79):
It was a walk up fare - $204 euro for a 40 minute flight is highly robbery .. no cheapie fare for me !

Airfares are not set by the duration of a flight sector my friend. A walk up fare, to me anyway, would always be higher that a fare booked months in advance.

BMI usually dont close out their lower inventory prior to departure either, so I would assume your flight was heavily booked.

7LBAC111

ACdreamliner

Fri Oct 14, 2005 3:23 am

people will start feeling lucky when the BMI airline with the white livery turns up. Baby are the way forward. As far as i see it, holding those A330's just for the hell of it as it seems, is a waste of time. If they let me in the BD senior management tomorrow, i'd do the following:

1) Get shot of the A332's
2) If the lease does not have a get out, use A332's from MAN only, serving LAX, SAN, LAS & MEX
3) Get the A32X's into an all 33" seat interiours with 10% premium service on ALL flights.
4) Merge Baby into mainline, and let the name 'Baby' become the same as Air Canada Tango became.
5) Use AC's highly successful ticket options.
6) Slowly replace the 733's & 735's with A319's (maybe trade the A332 lease for A319 one????)
7) reduce dependance on LHR, fly more mainline from EDI, GLA, NCL etc.
8) leave BDR (Regional), and rebrand it, much like Air Canada Jazz...

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos