Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

c5onknees
Topic Author

Buying A Seat For Baggage.

Wed Oct 12, 2005 10:15 am

I was on the Delta website looking around and found this, I was just looking around at the baggage sizes, etc. allowable for carryon and saw this.. You can purchase a seat for bag and they give examples of acceptable bulky items. Is it me or are these the most random examples ever? Who comes up with this stuff?

Examples of Fragile & Bulky Items:
Amplifiers
Animal Trophies
Antiques
Archery Equipment
Beer
Bicycles
Blueprints
Cameras
Car Seats
Ceramics
China
Counters
Crystal
Diving Equipment
Doll Houses
Dolls
Figurines
Fishing Rods
Flash Equipment
Flowers
Lenses
Liquor
Maps
Meters
Microscopes
Mirrors
Model Airplanes
Model Trains
Musical Equipment
Ornamental Bric-a-Brac
Oscilloscopes
Paintings
Perfumes
Plants
Polygraph Equipment
Projectors
Radios
Sculptures
Sketches
Sleeping Bags
Speakers
Stereos
Strollers
Stuffed Animals
Tape Recorders
Televisions
Tennis Racquets
Tents
Terrariums
Trophies
Vases
Wines

MarshalN

RE: Buying A Seat For Baggage.

Wed Oct 12, 2005 10:25 am

When you have a half a million dollar cello (as my friend does) you don't really mind paying for the ticket. Besides, if you're travelling for work chances are someone's paying for the ticket anyway :p

ETStar

Wed Oct 12, 2005 11:22 am

I guess the idea is that if you buy a seat, you should not expect to put anything you want on it, as in have a live dog in there etc. I guess if you are a jewellery dealer, or a courier of sensitive material (such as diplomatic pouches etc), and need extra room with you for your additional carry-on, then buying another seat would work.

Some airlines, like Ethiopian, have seat upgrades for something like $200 upon checkin, one-way. So, if you have too much luggage to checkin, you could pay for an upgrade and get additional checkin allowance that comes with the class. I believe for each extra item, one is charged $150 (these rates may have gone up recently).

ACYWG

Wed Oct 12, 2005 11:31 am

Quoting MarshalN (Reply 1):
When you have a half a million dollar cello (as my friend does) you don't really mind paying for the ticket.

If his cello was worth a half a million dollars, do you really think he would be flying on an airline such as Delta? I would think he would have his own plane or something if he's got money like that.
On a side note...for $500,000 whats his cello made of? Solid Gold? Or is he Yo-Yo Ma?

RAMPRAT980

Wed Oct 12, 2005 11:39 am

Quoting C5onknees (Thread starter):
Archery Equipment

is this a typographic error ?
With gun control there can be no democracy.. With gun control there can be no Freedom

UAL747

Wed Oct 12, 2005 11:59 am

Quoting ACYWG (Reply 3):
If his cello was worth a half a million dollars, do you really think he would be flying on an airline such as Delta? I would think he would have his own plane or something if he's got money like that.
On a side note...for $500,000 whats his cello made of? Solid Gold? Or is he Yo-Yo Ma?

Considering that your run of the mill brand new Yamaha baby grand piano runs you about 20-25,000USD, I have no doubt in my mind that the cello is old, nostalgic, and has a one in of a kind sound to it. It's a piece of artwork that produces artwork through the form of melodic and harmonic melodies. The thing is, often times these instruments are floating around, waiting to be discovered, then their deceased grandfather's cello gets valued, and it comes up at a high price. Don't have to be a millionaire for that to happen.

UAL
"Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy. Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy.....Okay, fine, we'll just turn 190 and Visual Our Way

Lemurs

Wed Oct 12, 2005 12:20 pm

Quoting ACYWG (Reply 3):

If you're a really talented musician, often people and dealers will loan out, long-term, one of a kind antique instruments for you to use. It increases their value when it's returned, and often you can't get anything new that sounds like them. It's not even remotely a stretch for someone to be carrying around a cello appraised at $500k.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary, and those that don't.

QFA380

Wed Oct 12, 2005 12:25 pm

I want someone to tell me why you can take archery equipment onto a plane. Why don't they just say you can take yuor $3000 rifle onto the plane?

Some people.

jetdeltamsy

Wed Oct 12, 2005 12:35 pm

Reservations calls it "cabbage". The second seat is booked under the last name of the passenger, first name "Cbbg".

Happens all the time.
Tired of airline bankruptcies....EA/PA/TW and finally DL.

c5onknees
Topic Author

Wed Oct 12, 2005 12:39 pm

Ramprat, its def. not a typo. haha

MarshalN

Wed Oct 12, 2005 12:44 pm

Quoting ACYWG (Reply 3):

You clearly do not know how the classical music industry is like... there are plenty of musicians whose instruments are at least $50000-$100000, and these are often students in conservatories whose families are willing to invest that much into a good instrument. Once they start working they will continue to invest in their equipment (and sell the old ones if they want). I have quite a few friends who are professionals in this area, and their instruments definitely cost more than their cars -- it's their career, and it makes sense for them to pay top dollar for this stuff. Just the bow of the cello/violin/whatever string can cost just as much as the instrument itself.

I don't know how much Yo Yo Ma's cello costs, but I'll be surprised if it's not 7 figures.

folov

Wed Oct 12, 2005 3:41 pm

I was dealing with a pax that was flying LAX/CDG/EVN in Bussiness Class.
She had 6 bags with her. As per Armenian airlines rules, Pax are only allowed to check-in 3 bags which they pay for 1.
I told her that we could not check in ther bags due to that. I told her the only way was to buy another seat, which she did for about 4000 dollars one way if i recall in J/cl.

Trolley Dolley

Wed Oct 12, 2005 4:07 pm

I've never had trouble buying a seat for my baggage. If the kids are lucky, they even get to sit next to me as well! He he he

AsianFA

Wed Oct 12, 2005 5:45 pm

Beer???
who buys a seat for beer???
maybe they meant a barrel of beer???
now wouldnt that be interesting to have on board....hmmm

zeke

Wed Oct 12, 2005 8:37 pm

Sometime it might also be cheaper, with excess baggage charged by some airlines around $60/kg
“Don't be a show-off. Never be too proud to turn back. There are old pilots and bold pilots, but no old, bold pilots.” E. Hamilton Lee, 1949

dj738

Wed Oct 12, 2005 8:58 pm

We have a small section in our cabin crew manual dedicated to the carriage onboard, and restraint of cellos! No other instrument or bulky item rates a mention, just cellos...!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos