Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ZKSUJ
Topic Author

Take-Off Crash Video

Sat Oct 15, 2005 7:13 pm

Hi,

Does anyone have any crash video of an airplane taking off and crashing at the end of the runway onto the trees.

It will be great if the video shows a twin light engine plane. I am after the PA23 Apache, but even something like a Piper Seneca will do. Please try your best to get the video of a small light twin engine aircraft like a Piper Apache or a Piper Seneca, and NOT something like a Metroliner or a Beech-1900D or a SAAB-340, etc...

Cheers everyone.

garpd

RE: Take-Off Crash Video

Sat Oct 15, 2005 7:32 pm

Morbid fascination you got there
arpdesign.wordpress.com

PIA777

Sat Oct 15, 2005 7:49 pm

There is one of an Air france A320 at an air show. Just google it or something.

PIA777
GO CUBS!!

WillieP

Sat Oct 15, 2005 7:55 pm

Quoting ZKSUJ (Thread starter):
It will be great if the video shows a twin light engine plane

Could think of better things that are great!

HAWK21M

Sat Oct 15, 2005 11:40 pm

LINK
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

RichardPrice

Sat Oct 15, 2005 11:46 pm

Very exacting requirements you have there, care to also let us know what our hourly rate would be while looking for this for you? Or is it a flat rate finders fee at the end?

NZ747

Sat Oct 15, 2005 11:50 pm

What paper's this for man? Get the MBQ sky tower guy to take one of the twins up and bring a video camera  Wink

loisencroach

Sat Oct 15, 2005 11:53 pm

www.gaudens.com has some footage of air crashes, although not of the one you're looking for. On this site, however, it has some interesting footage of a UPS DC-8 that almost crashed.

EK156

Sun Oct 16, 2005 1:14 am

Quoting RichardPrice (Reply 5):
Very exacting requirements you have there, care to also let us know what our hourly rate would be while looking for this for you? Or is it a flat rate finders fee at the end?

Quoting NZ747 (Reply 6):
What paper's this for man? Get the MBQ sky tower guy to take one of the twins up and bring a video camera

Can't you just plainly either help or not comment at all!!!! He asked for assistance. If you can help then go ahead and do it!!! Why do you have to comment and throw in negative vibes... Just don't help if you can't or don't want to ... simple!!! GOSH!!!

DCrawley

Sun Oct 16, 2005 6:24 am

Why do you need this video? CFI?

Quoting EK156 (Reply 8):
Can't you just plainly either help or not comment at all!!!! He asked for assistance. If you can help then go ahead and do it!!! Why do you have to comment and throw in negative vibes... Just don't help if you can't or don't want to ... simple!!! GOSH!!!

No need to get bent out of shape over this. You just twisted your own logic:

Can't you just plainly either help or not comment at all!!!!

-d
"Weather at our destination is 50 degrees with some broken clouds, but they'll try to have them fixed before we arrive."

EK156

Sun Oct 16, 2005 7:36 am

Quoting DCrawley (Reply 9):
No need to get bent out of shape over this. You just twisted your own logic:

Can't you just plainly either help or not comment at all!!!!

oppsss... I meant help if you can, or if you can't then that's okay.. but don't comment negatively on his request? There is no need for that!!

MarshalN

Sun Oct 16, 2005 7:52 am

A tangent.... what exactly were they testing in that A320? I mean.... it looked like it was ok, except that the aircraft didn't have enough lift. What was wrong?

Starlionblue

Sun Oct 16, 2005 8:06 am

Quoting MarshalN (Reply 11):
A tangent.... what exactly were they testing in that A320? I mean.... it looked like it was ok, except that the aircraft didn't have enough lift. What was wrong?

Well, this is an A.nut hornet's nest

A320 at Mulhouse was an in service AF aircraft doing a flyby at an airshow. So what went wrong?

Some preliminaries:
- Pre flight briefing was not held.
- Flyby altitude was below French regulatory minimums.
- Flyby altitude was below the level of surrounding obstacles (trees).
- Flyby runway was changed at last minute (when in sight of the airfield).

As the plane flew by, speed and altitude were still both decreasing. Engines were at or near idle. The plane's protection systems were compensating by increasing angle of attack (to maximum). But since the plane was at stall speed, once it reached the max angle of attack the only way not to stall was to descend.

When the pilot discovered the approaching trees, it was already too late. No amount of thrust would have allowed the plane to clear the trees. On the video you clearly hear the engines spooling up just in time to become woodchippers.

Pilot flying had overconfidence in the plane's control system allowing him to perform a dramatic low speed flyby. In fact, without the control system and envelope protection, the plane might have stalled (it never did). But not stalling is not enough. You also have to avoid hitting the ground.

Nothing was wrong with the plane, and all components performed according to (or beyond) specs.

And yes, if the pilot had tried the same stunt in a 737 or any other plane, there would still have been a crash. Nothing in the control systems of the A320 stopped the pilot from applying go around power and trying to fly himself out of the corner. This is when the old pilots say something like: "Use your superior skills to keep yourself out of situations where you might need to use them".

Airbi may have very cool envelope protection systems, but they can't break the laws of physics.

[Edited 2005-10-16 01:08:11]
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

cha747

Sun Oct 16, 2005 1:00 pm

Quoting Starlionblue (Reply 12):
A320 at Mulhouse was an in service AF aircraft doing a flyby at an airshow. So what went wrong?

One things I've always been confused about. When you say "in service" were there revenue passengers on board? Thanks.
Piedmontgirl was always right

aa777jr

Sun Oct 16, 2005 2:20 pm

Quoting Cha747 (Reply 13):
One things I've always been confused about. When you say "in service" were there revenue passengers on board? Thanks.

There is nothing morbid about his request. The video requested was a flight of a pilotless a/c that AF was testing...
A liberal is a man who is right most of the time, but he's right too soon.

iwok

Sun Oct 16, 2005 2:24 pm

Quoting EK156 (Reply 8):

EK, the poster has asked for very detailed information about very gruesome events. A valid question is WHY!

Just because you may think its absolutely normal, doesn't mean others can ask WHY!.

Does anyone have any crash video of an airplane taking off and crashing at the end of the runway onto the trees.

It will be great if the video shows a twin light engine plane. I am after the PA23 Apache, but even something like a Piper Seneca will do.

Any chance of asking WHY you need this?

iwok

MarshalN

Sun Oct 16, 2005 2:54 pm

Quoting Iwok (Reply 15):
EK, the poster has asked for very detailed information about very gruesome events. A valid question is WHY!

Just because you may think its absolutely normal, doesn't mean others can ask WHY!.

There can be a million reasons for it. For a music video, for his own viewing pleasure, for proof to show a friend, for the heck of it .... you name it. Why do you (and the others who asked) need to know so badly? Sure, it was gruesome, but the fact that these videos are hosted on websites (and that people on a.net know about them) means they are viewed, bookmarked, and remembered. Do you need to ask why people on a.net know about them and can point them to other videos as well? Why do people watch police chase TV shows (and why do TV stations show them)? It's freedom of speech and they can watch whatever they want...

wukka

Sun Oct 16, 2005 3:14 pm

Quoting Aa777jr (Reply 14):

There is nothing morbid about his request. The video requested was a flight of a pilotless a/c that AF was testing...

Huh?

Are you truly responding to Cha747? First off, he was replying to Starlion who was apparently referring to the A320 demo crash.

Secondly, I don't see Cha747 saying anything about morbitiy.

Thirdly, the original poster asked for, "any crash video of an airplane taking off and crashing at the end of the runway onto the trees. It will be great if the video shows a twin light engine plane. I am after the PA23 Apache, but even something like a Piper Seneca will do. Please try your best to get the video of a small light twin engine aircraft like a Piper Apache or a Piper Seneca, and NOT something like a Metroliner or a Beech-1900D or a SAAB-340, etc..."

Do you see anything about "Air France" or "pilotless" in that posting?

You just don't get it, do you, Junior?
We can agree to disagree.

NZ747

Sun Oct 16, 2005 3:26 pm

Quoting MarshalN (Reply 16):
There can be a million reasons for it. For a music video, for his own viewing pleasure

Hahaha Ashwin you have some twisted sick personal pleasures  Wink.

ZKSUJ
Topic Author

Sun Oct 16, 2005 8:41 pm

Quoting NZ747 (Reply 18):
Hahaha Ashwin you have some twisted sick personal pleasures

Stupid POF assignment.  Wink

Thanks for the help guys.

Starlionblue

Sun Oct 16, 2005 10:38 pm

Quoting Starlionblue (Reply 12):

It was in service, as in AF owned it and was using it for revenue service. On this particular flight, however, it was full of sightseeing pax. Whether they had paid a fare or not I don't know.
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

Checo77

Mon Oct 17, 2005 1:38 am

How many people died in that AF A320 crash??? I first saw the video like 3 years ago, but I never thought the plane could be full of poeple!!!! Does anybody know the number of dead?
Regards,
Adam
Czech Boeing lover living in Lima

kl5147

Mon Oct 17, 2005 2:07 am

Quoting Checo77 (Reply 21):
How many people died in that AF A320 crash??? I first saw the video like 3 years ago, but I never thought the plane could be full of poeple!!!! Does anybody know the number of dead?

F-GKFC A320-111 (c/n 0009) 26-06-1988 near Mulhouse
6 crew 130 pax. 3 pax failed to escape, 34 pax sustained injuries
"The world is just a click away!"

HAWK21M

Mon Oct 17, 2005 2:14 am

Quoting RichardPrice (Reply 5):
care to also let us know what our hourly rate would be while looking for this for you? Or is it a flat rate finders fee at the end

I'll settle for A Drink & Dinner  Smile

Quoting Checo77 (Reply 21):
How many people died in that AF A320 crash??? I first saw the video like 3 years ago, but I never thought the plane could be full of poeple!!!! Does anybody know the number

http://aviation-safety.net/database/record.php?id=19880626-0
Why Pax on an Air Show Flight.
regds
MEL

kl5147

Mon Oct 17, 2005 2:25 am

Quoting HAWK21M (Reply 23):
Why Pax on an Air Show Flight.

It wa a sightseeing charterflight for local passengers to publicise AF's new aircraft type. (Only three A320's had been delivered so far)
The flight was planned from Mulhouse to the Mont Blanc and back to Mulhouse. The fly-over at the Habsheim airshow (where the plane crashed) was seen by Air France as a public relations advantage for the company.
"The world is just a click away!"

HAWK21M

Mon Oct 17, 2005 1:18 pm

Quoting KL5147 (Reply 24):
The fly-over at the Habsheim airshow (where the plane crashed) was seen by Air France as a public relations advantage for the company.

There was some report on the Swapping of the CVR/DFDR post crash.Is that true.
regds
MEL

zeke

Mon Oct 17, 2005 4:07 pm

This is not really a common occourance, and even less so to be filmed.

Remember reading a few reports of aircraft that takeoff attempts were made with control locks in place that had this outcome, and another of a drunk joyrider tried to take an aircraft off that had been undergoing maintenance, problem being they removed the elevator off for maintenance.

Good luck with your search, I dont recall ever seeing one before, if you find one I would be interested in seeing it.
“Don't be a show-off. Never be too proud to turn back. There are old pilots and bold pilots, but no old, bold pilots.” E. Hamilton Lee, 1949

RICARDOAB

Mon Oct 17, 2005 10:09 pm

Try www.flightlevel350.com

thats where I found it

luisca

Mon Oct 17, 2005 10:30 pm

Quoting RICARDOAB (Reply 27):
Try www.flightlevel350.com

thats where I found it

They dont post crash videos anymore
If it ain't Boeing (or Embraer ;-)) I ain't Going!

TaromA380

Mon Oct 17, 2005 10:32 pm

Quoting HAWK21M (Reply 25):

This fact was never proved, despite the anormal recuperation procedure of the CVR/FDR. The French government obviously tried to avoid the aircraft doubts and blamed the pilots. In fact the situation was a mixture (as almost all accidents are) of weaknesses (technics and humans) and each part could easily blame the other without real conclusion.

The Captain was judged and found guilty, no prison condemnation. He contested the court decision and finally took 6 months of prison.

mikefad

Mon Oct 17, 2005 11:35 pm

Maybe he likes to see people get their heads blown off with a shotgun too. Everybody has their own thing no matter how weird it may seem to others ,right? That's the current proper way of thinking. Moral relativity I believe it's called.

"Can someone pleeeeze find me a video of someone getting thier head blown off with a shotgun? A bazooka would be really great but a shotgun will suffice."
"BUT I DON"T WANT ANY FLACK(sorry) FROM ANYBODY ON THIS! JUST GIVE ME THE VIDEO AND SHUT-UP!"

Me? I like a good round of golf..............And laughing at the teenagers on Anet.

Starlionblue

Tue Oct 18, 2005 12:58 am

Quoting HAWK21M (Reply 25):

As TaromA380 says, there are such reports. However, as he also said, human and technical factors were involved. The investigation proved that it was primarily pilot error, and there was nothing wrong with the plane. You don't really need the recorders to figure this one out. Here is my summary:

Some preliminaries:
- Pre flight briefing was not held.
- Flyby altitude was below French regulatory minimums.
- Flyby altitude was below the level of surrounding obstacles (trees).
- Flyby runway was changed at last minute (when in sight of the airfield).

As the plane flew by, speed and altitude were still both decreasing. Engines were at or near idle. The plane's protection systems were compensating by increasing angle of attack (to maximum). But since the plane was at stall speed, once it reached the max angle of attack the only way not to stall was to descend.

When the pilot discovered the approaching trees, it was already too late. No amount of thrust would have allowed the plane to clear the trees. On the video you clearly hear the engines spooling up just in time to become woodchippers.

Pilot flying had overconfidence in the plane's control system allowing him to perform a dramatic low speed flyby. In fact, without the control system and envelope protection, the plane might have stalled (it never did). But not stalling is not enough. You also have to avoid hitting the ground.

Nothing was wrong with the plane, and all components performed according to (or beyong) specs.

And yes, if the pilot had tried the same stunt in a 737 or any other plane, there would still have been a crash. Nothing in the control systems of the A320 stopped the pilot from applying go around power and trying to fly himself out of the corner. This is when the old pilots say something like: "Use your superior skills to keep yourself out of situations where you might need to use them".

Airbi may have very cool envelope protection systems, but they can't break the laws of physics.

cha747

Thu Oct 20, 2005 5:28 pm

Hey Wukka - Thanks for the backup, Starlionblue - Thanks for the info. Junior probably wasn't thinking (as usual) and was probably preoccupied in some twisted autoerotic delusions with the male picture on the right of the screen advertising "The Aviary."

So, ZKSUJ - did anybody answer your question???
Piedmontgirl was always right

ZKSUJ
Topic Author

Thu Oct 20, 2005 7:28 pm

Hahah, not quite but thanks for the replies. The assignment is over now anyway  Smile

4holer

Fri Oct 21, 2005 2:22 am

If you weren't looking for that AF... There was a prop plane nosedive at big-boys.com. I can't look for it to link since I'm at work and that's a "forbidden website".
It was an old cargo plane that went nose up, banked right and crashed. You can search that site if you want...
There was a discussion here or in non-av recently about it, that's how I'm aware of it...
Ghosts appear and fade away.....................

JakeOrion

Fri Oct 21, 2005 2:37 am

Quoting 4holer (Reply 34):
There was a prop plane nosedive at big-boys.com. I can't look for it to link since I'm at work and that's a "forbidden website".
It was an old cargo plane that went nose up, banked right and crashed. You can search that site if you want...
There was a discussion here or in non-av recently about it, that's how I'm aware of it...

http://www.big-boys.com/articles/oldplanecrash.html

Tragic accident indeed...
Every problem has a simple solution; finding the simple solution is the difficult problem.

legion242

Fri Oct 21, 2005 4:00 am

Almost looks like cargo shifted or something.
Don't make me release the monkeys!!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos