gf-a330
Topic Author

Gulf Air's New Strategy Next Month

Sun Oct 16, 2005 9:31 pm

Gulf Air will launch a completely new branding strategy next month and plans to identify itself as a GCC carrier after the Abu Dhabi Government pulled out of the three-way partnership with Bahrain and Oman.

"The company will complete its new identity within two weeks. The new branding will concentrate on it being a GCC-based airline," an official from Gulf Air told Gulf News.

"Gulf Air is preparing new plans for the future as it focuses on becoming a self-sustaining, profitable company. Hindering the airline, according to the official, is the present level of fuel prices. "This will impact the company's bottom line next year."

Gulf Air will not close its offices in Abu Dhabi, but it may gradually shift some employees from Abu Dhabi to another location beginning in a few weeks and ending this year.

Sources would not comment on any change in the schedule from Abu Dhabi, nor the distribution of Abu Dhabi-owned shares, or the composition of the board.

Source: Gulf News 13th Oct 2005.

B742

RE: Gulf Air's New Strategy Next Month

Sun Oct 16, 2005 9:35 pm

I think GF should pull out of AUH and concentrate on BAH and MCT!

I think Etihad has the upper hand at AUH now, GF's days are numbered at AUH!

EY also has the financial backing!

Rob!  wave 

Beaucaire

Sun Oct 16, 2005 9:44 pm

Oman has a lot of assets that are less well known to many ME visitors- very friendly population,an exotic and attractive "hinterland" with numerous little villages hidden in the mountains and oasis places appealing to visitors.
I've been many times to Musact and appreciate Oman as my favourite country in the Gulf.
It's less americanized,more authentic and more of a real different world as compared to Dubaï,which is becomming a Miami-like metropolis with just business and shopping in mind.Gulf Air should emphasize on Oman -it's a real asset !
When visiting Lamu in Kenya and Sansibar,I found many architectural links between Oman and East Africa.
Gulf Air has lost out to Emirates and Qatar and need's a revamp in strategy.I would strenghten links to Africa,offer more flights to Italy,France,Austria,Germany ( Nice,Lyon )and Spain,target the lebanese community in Africa with added flights to Beirut,add Russian clientéle and increase Turkey.

[Edited 2005-10-16 15:13:35]
Please respect animals - don't eat them...

Emirates Skies

Sun Oct 16, 2005 10:33 pm

Am I the only one who thinks that the AUH pull out of GF will potentially consolidate this airline in focusing on BAH & MCT?

The only successful European airlines with dual hubs I can think of are Lufhansa, and to a lesser extent Iberia.

I wish GF lots of luck.
Take nothing but photos, leave nothing but footprints

codeshare

Sun Oct 16, 2005 10:34 pm

It's about time for GF to announce some sort of strategy. For the last few years they've been losing out quite a lot (ie. competition from Etihad, Emirates, Qatar Airways).
Perhaps a new a/c order should follow.
How much A is there is Airliners Net ? 0 or nothing ?

Emirates Skies

Sun Oct 16, 2005 10:54 pm

I think it will be easier for them now, having just 2 instead of 3 hubs to serve... and 2 governments to satisfy instead of 3.
Take nothing but photos, leave nothing but footprints

kiwiandrew

Sun Oct 16, 2005 10:58 pm

Quoting GF-A330 (Thread starter):
Gulf Air will launch a completely new branding strategy next month and plans to identify itself as a GCC carrier after the Abu Dhabi Government pulled out of the three-way partnership with Bahrain and Oman.

so what's a GCC carrier ? Gulf C??? C????

gf-a330
Topic Author

Sun Oct 16, 2005 11:19 pm

The Gulf monarchies (also known as the Gulf Cooperation Council, or GCC states) resemble palm trees, all of which look alike to the untrained and uninitiated.

They include countries such as Bahrain, UAE, Qatar, Oman, Kuwait and S.Arabia.

kiwiandrew

Sun Oct 16, 2005 11:23 pm

Quoting GF-A330 (Reply 7):
(also known as the Gulf Cooperation Council, or GCC states)

thanks GF-A330

that's one thing I love about A.net - there almost always seems to be someone out there who has an answer to any question I throw at the board - and I don't usually have to wait long either

gf-a330
Topic Author

Mon Oct 17, 2005 5:57 am

Posting on behalf of a non-member..........

Gulf Air poor strategy

One of Gulf Air's good strategies was to focus on the Human Resources, and that has paid off. However, with increasing competition for service levels, Gul Air needs not to over look its partners in the Travel Industry who support its operation .

Airport Staff and senior officials that assist Gulf Air in numerous ways have been trashed out recently, thru Embargo on rebated tickets in Summer , and now even during the Holy month of Ramadan for Jeddah flights?

This has hit back.

Gulf Air flights became so empty for LHR flights at certain times in Summer, while it deprived its partners from taking those empty seats?

Gulf Air may want to restrict the number of seats in specific categories per flight, but to ban everyone on every single flight during embargos is a PR disaster.

In fact, Pakistani commercial passengers travelling on J and F classes from Karachi to LHR via Bahrain, ended up paying less for flights to LHR than industry partner Bahraini Staff paying rebated 50% or 25% of full fare from Bahrain to LHR?

Come on Gulf Air.. You deserve support and service.. and you should give it!?

Perhaps with the departure of Abu Dhabi it will become easier?

Abdulla Ali

boysteve

Mon Oct 17, 2005 6:15 am

Quoting Kiwiandrew (Reply 6):
so what's a GCC carrier

GCC is a Gulf equivalent of the original EEC in Europe. It comprises Kuwait, Saudi, Qatar, UAE, Bahrain, Oman (apologies if I've missed anyone out) and is supposed to open up economic ties throughout the Arabian peninsular.
My Dad used to work in Abu Dhabi, I remember arriving there and the passport channels were 'GCC and UK passport holders' and 'Everyone else'. Although this must have been down to the UAE's colonial past it always made me laugh to have priority over every other Westerner.

My Dad used to prefer GF AUH-LHR over BA in those early days, and always flew them. It was even better when GF flew to MAN from AUH (albeit via AMS). In a way I'm quite sad that GF may eventually pull out of AUH but with Ethiad's rise its not surprising.

Good luck GF!

vincewy

Mon Oct 17, 2005 6:21 am

Would it be easier for GF to pull out of MUC hub altogether, sell routes/assets/rights/operations to WY and concentrate all routes/operatoins out of BAH?

HiJazzey

Mon Oct 17, 2005 6:24 am

Gulf Air doesn't need to change it's branding, it's only recently rebranded. What they need to do is streamline their operations further. With AUH it's become simpler: make MCT the hub for GF traveller, and BAH for GF proper.

gf-a330
Topic Author

Mon Oct 17, 2005 6:43 am

From what I hear the complete Gulf Traveller fleet of 767s will be wet leased to Etihad for a given time. In the mean time all Gulf traveller crews are being transferred to Bahrain, with a complete shift by Feb 06.

Regarding the article I posted from Gulf News, I'm not quite sure what they meant by `a completely new branding strategy`, afterall GF only did undergo a major re-branding exercise.

vincewy

Mon Oct 17, 2005 8:42 am

Quoting Vincewy (Reply 11):
pull out of MUC

Correction, it's MCT, not MUC (Munich)

mightyfalcon

Mon Oct 17, 2005 6:26 pm

Quoting HiJazzey (Reply 12):
With AUH it's become simpler: make MCT the hub for GF traveller, and BAH for GF proper.

Actually, the future of Gulf Traveller has become uncertain; as they are based in AUH, their traffic rights have been negociated between the Abu Dhabi and India, Pakistan and Malaysia governments.

Moving Gulf Traveller to either Muscat or Bahrain would imply the latter to re-negociate with the appropriate governments, which takes a long time, or Oman Air or Gulf Air to give up some of their slots... (pretty unlikely!)

Just my 2 cents...

Regards
MightyFalcon
The sky has no limit...

EurostarVA

Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:43 pm

Quoting Vincewy (Reply 11):
Would it be easier for GF to pull out of MUC hub altogether, sell routes/assets/rights/operations to WY and concentrate all routes/operatoins out of BAH?

I totally agree. Gulf Air should stop acting re-actively only as it has done in the past. It needs strength and a confident vision, and this starts by focusing on their traditional hub and homebase Bahrain. From the looks of it, it is also just a matter of time before Oman pulls the plug too.

Come on Gulf Air! Bahrain Government should also re-consider its wait-and-see strategy and think of providing limited financing to help it reposition as a Bahraini carrier only.
If there is a will, there is a way

QantasHeavy

Mon Oct 17, 2005 10:56 pm

LOL, sounds like Delta's senior management has gone to Bahrain with their paint cans and "this month's" branding ideas.

Gulf Air needs a better profile for its products. I would hope their business class is better than EK's 777s and Airbuses (excluding 345... although EK's 345 biz seat is a lousy sleeper... but the best for watching IFE).

NumberTwelve

Tue Oct 18, 2005 12:04 am

Quoting QantasHeavy (Reply 17):
sounds like Delta's senior management

QantasHeavy, most of GF's management is former Ansett  Wink
signature censored by admin - so check my profile

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos