FRALIM
Topic Author

SN Brussels To FRA?!?

Wed Oct 26, 2005 9:32 pm

Hey,

just read a press release from Fraport, the operator of Frankfurt Airport. There is stated that one of the new airlines in FRA for the winter timetable will be SN. I had't heard anything about that before and there is nothing on SN's homepage. Neither could i find any flights on amadeus. Does anyone of you know whether they are starting flights BRU-FRA?

I think it's a bit strange that there is no other information about it. All there is is a list of new airlines to FRA (compared to last year's winter timetable), like Etihad, DBA and SN Brussels.... Maybe they operate some charter flights over the winter??? i don't know...

Here is the press release: Press release (sorry in german only; they didn't have the press release on their english page)

Hope somebody knows more

Cheers,
Chris

manni

RE: SN Brussels To FRA?!?

Wed Oct 26, 2005 10:46 pm

Could it be an SN flight number placed on a flight operated by another carrier?

sn26567

Thu Oct 27, 2005 12:28 am

The English press release is also available:

http://www.fraport.com/cms/press/[email protected]

The news is surprising. LH has always said to SN: "leave us alone in FRA, else we shall retaliate in BRU". And so LH could keep its monopoly on the BRU-FRA route and its outrageous prices.

Currently neither the SN timetable, nor the LH timetable (of course), and not even the FRAport timetable gives any indication of a schedule for SN BRU-FRA flights.
ex-Sabena #26567

Leskova

Thu Oct 27, 2005 1:39 am

Weren't there some SN/LH Codeshares on some routes not too long ago? I remember seeing SN-flight numbers on LH flights from HAJ to BRU some time within the last 12 to 24 months...

I also just checked if there's anything in Sabre - and, no, there isn't.

Strange...

Regards,
Frank
Smile - it confuses people!

Established02

Thu Oct 27, 2005 5:08 am

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Eduard Marmet
View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Florian Kondziela

> one of the new airlines in FRA for the winter timetable will be SN

Perhaps SN simply applied for slots, without having immediate intentions to effectively use them.

The winter season is starting next week. If at this point the flights are still not loaded in any CRS and if the new route has not been advertised as yet, then it may be rather unlikely for these new flights to materialise very soon.

> Weren't there some SN/LH Codeshares on some routes not too long ago?

I don't think there has ever been any codesharing between LH and SN Brussels Airlines.
Perhaps there may have been a codesharing in a further past between LH and Sabena.

> LH has always said to SN: "leave us alone in FRA, else we shall retaliate in BRU".

Interesting. How exactly did they communicate this message?  biting 

Where can LH strike SN? LH and SN currently compete with each other on BRU-MUC and BRU-HAM.
LH does not serve any of SN's African destinations, apart from DKR.

If SN would enter the FRA market, then expectedly LH may go and drop a selection of fares on BRU-FRA. If SN would come in with many frequencies, then LH would probably be reluctant to drop the fares overall, however if SN would come in with e.g. just 2 rotations, then they will be an easier fare target.

I believe LH currently has about 9 daily rotations FRA-BRU, which can be operated with about half a dozen of different aircraft types. What kind of frequency would be a minimum for SN? 4 daily rotations with an ARJ? Success would probably depend a lot on what kind of slots SN could obtain at FRA.

Perhaps SN may after all not seek to offer day return flights, but they may simply want to create an extra feeder for their morning flights to Africa.

brightcedars

Thu Oct 27, 2005 6:38 am

I tend to agree with the above statements. I think SN wouldn't add FRA just for the sake of competing with LH. If they think there is enough demand for flights to/from their African network out of FRA, then a daily morning return like the one from CDG may be an option.

Unless we're all in the dark and the SN management managed to learn towards Star Alliance rather than oneworld. Although I don't think this would be the better option neither for SN nor for Star Alliance.

LO231

Thu Oct 27, 2005 6:53 am

Oh please stop the monopoly!!!!

LH fares just to FRA are higher than to ATH or SVO!!!!! People with hand luggage are known to buy tickets beyond FRA just to get there!!!

Regards,
LO231
Got both LO 788 frames already, next LO E95 and 734 BRU-WAW-BRU

SN-MD11

Thu Oct 27, 2005 7:45 pm

Not such a big surprise considering SN's improving performance on the German market. At least a significant new destination for SNBA as self-operator !!!

I've taken quite full flights on the BRU-MUC sector this summer.

After all, FRA is the economic capital of one of most powerfull nation in EU. And BRU the capital of EU.

S.

SNBru

Thu Oct 27, 2005 11:30 pm

Quoting BrightCedars (Reply 5):
SN management managed to learn towards Star Alliance rather than oneworld.

YEAH RIGHT! And maybe LH will change to OneWorld!!

That makes sense.

sn26567

Wed Nov 02, 2005 6:12 am

Now that LH has bought 5% of the shares of Fraport, they could make it even more difficult for any competitor to enter the FRA market!
ex-Sabena #26567

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos