Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

hovitzer
Topic Author

BA163 Opens Slider In TLV By Mistake

Fri Oct 28, 2005 5:05 pm

Hello everyone,
First post in this hounored forum,
Nice To Meet, I'm A Staff Of British Airways World Cargo In TLV.
This morning Flight BA163 (BA763, Shorhaul configuration, registration G-BNWW), landed on RWY 12 in about 4:20 AM.
The Plane taxi to gate C-7 and it seemed everything is just fine.
All of a sudden, later found out as one of the flight attendants mistake, the slider from door 2R is just opening.....
Nice view I must say, I hated myself so much for not taking my camera with me....
The slider cutted of from the plane and was loaded into an empty cargo container (APE 0202) loaded into rear cargo positions and sent to London.
Weird isn't it?
Have a great day everyone....

CV990

RE: BA163 Opens Slider In TLV By Mistake

Fri Oct 28, 2005 6:03 pm

Hi!

Welcome to Airliners.Net forum and wish you a great time here with us!!! Regarding your topic, reminds me many years ago when I used to work in LIS Airport in the catering department. It was summer time and we were loading a TAP 747 ( now you can imagine how old this was.... I think it was 1980 or 1981! ) and the food trolleys used to be loaded on the right side of the plane, but has you know there is one door on the left side close by the wing, and from there the TAP staff would load their stuff, normally alcholic beverages, tobacco and other duty free items. Suddenly one of the TAP staff guys started to "open" that door, but it was "armed", so he just started, because then with the power of the slider beeing pumped with air there rest was "automatic"!!!! The TAP guy was so scared and white than it was so funny! Then the slider was comming and going with some summer breeze and we could see it from the rest of LIS airport. Really funny!!!
Regards
CV990, the Maserati of the skies!

AlanUK

Fri Oct 28, 2005 6:28 pm

Yeah, it happens! In fact, more slides are blown inadvertently on the 767 than any other aircraft at BA!

BA introduced a new way to crosscheck the doors on the 767 for that very reason. Obviously, some crew still don't adhere to it!

The crew responsible for the incident won't get sacked, but will get a serious telling off (it costs thousands of pounds to replace a slide, and the aircraft has to be taken out of service for a while!).

Welcome to A.net from a BA cabin crew at LHR!

BCAL

Fri Oct 28, 2005 7:28 pm

Hi, Hovitzer, and welcome to a.net.

Quoting AlanUK (Reply 2):
more slides are blown inadvertently on the 767

I believe that it recently happened on an Excel 767 at a Caribbean airport causing a long delay and a repair/replacement bill running into five figures, not to mention an embarrassed F/A.

Quoting Hovitzer (Thread starter):
The slider cutted of from the plane and was loaded into an empty cargo container (APE 0202) loaded into rear cargo positions and sent to London.

That seems very strange, as if (as I believe) the 763 was carrying passengers, would it be operating within permitted safety limits with a slide missing?
MOL on SRB's latest attack at BA: "It's like a little Chihuahua barking at a dying Labrador. Nobody cares."

charliecossie

Fri Oct 28, 2005 7:32 pm

Without a slide, a door becomes inoperative and a number of passenger seats may not be used (basically, to half way between the doors forward and aft of the inop. door).

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos