Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

trintocan

RE: Airport Trains

Fri Nov 11, 2005 7:09 am

Christa, you beat me to it! The trains to CWL also run to Bridgend thus offering some connections from Swansea and West Wales to the airport.

As for LGW, the rail station there is the oldest airport rail station in the world and is considered a major station by Network Rail - a certain indication of the huge amount of train traffic it handles.

TrinToCan.
Hop to it, fly for life!

Electech6299

Fri Nov 11, 2005 8:08 am

Quoting CBERFlyer (Reply 11):
BWI - Amtrak/MARC service to Baltimore, DC and other Northeast Corridor cities (shuttle bus from air terminals to rail station located on periphery of airport property), also MTA light rail to downtown Baltimore.

As far as true train service in the U.S., IIRC this is the only airport served directly by Amtrak, although numerous airports have shuttle busses and DCA Metro will take you directly to Union Station. The remainder of the rail service in the US is light rail/subway to city center and/or suburbs. It is noteworthy that the US's pseudo-high-speed Amtrak Acela service stops at BWI (or at least used to)...
Send not to know for whom the bell tolls...it tolls for thee

MarshalN

Fri Nov 11, 2005 8:15 am

Quoting WingedMigrator (Reply 28):
I'm surprised nobody mentioned the coolest airport train of them all... it's in Shanghai, China and will whisk you from the airport to downtown at a cool 430 km/h (267 mph).

I did, in my first reply (and the first reply in the thread)

Quoting N1120A (Reply 33):
The subway isn't slow and the airport has two kinds of busses. They have local busses as well as the dedicated Silver Line Dual Mode Bus Rapid Transit line

We've been through this topic before N1120A, on the B6 BOS-JFK thread. Silver Line is subject to the mercy of traffic, and if you think the Blue Line is fast, my, you're used to some pretty slow trains.

Quoting Sorayafaradiba (Reply 49):
1. special trains which are luxurious and/or expensive and/or fast

PVG, NRT, KIX, LHR

Add HKG into the mix, except it's not that expensive (30 minutes to city center, 15 USD one way!)

N1120A

Fri Nov 11, 2005 8:26 am

Quoting Rdwootty (Reply 41):
Just a note that is missing>
Birmingham is only 1 hour 16 mins to Euston with Virgin Trains so this compares favorably with taking the Tube from Terminal 4 to Euston (time shown on the web for this trip is 1 hour 16 mins!!! ) Does the tube have,toilets? Comfortable seats? A refreshment service?? In train audio/ Radio and so on!!!
So come on evrybody fly to Brum for Euston!!

Except, of course, that it is something like 10 times more expensive and Birmingham doesn't have near the service of Heathrow

Quoting Abefroman329 (Reply 45):
Besides, it didn't strike me as that convenient for visitors with several days' worth of luggage.

Given the nature of a Las Vegas vacation, a backpack and a small roll-aboard are pretty much all that is needed anyway

Quoting Electech6299 (Reply 51):
As far as true train service in the U.S., IIRC this is the only airport served directly by Amtrak

Newark Airport Station is also served by Amtrak

It is noteworthy that the US's pseudo-high-speed Amtrak Acela service stops at BWI (or at least used to)...

Some trains do, but it is mostly Regional and MARC
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

LINATHJNX

Fri Nov 11, 2005 8:34 am

In Italy there is also Pisa PSA and Palermo PMO which are connected to FS nartional railway system. Don't know anything about the quality but I know there is a service.

In Greece, ATH is served by a new metro train.

Ciao

SAIL52115

Fri Nov 11, 2005 8:35 am

Speaking from a life-long Chicago resident:

ORD-the Blue Line, started service in 1984, runs along Milwaukeee Ave (great street for all sorts of ethnic neighborhood tours and eats) and in the median of the Kennedy Expwy. The trip from the Loop takes 1hr, cost is $2 oneway (starting Jan'06). Highly advisable during rush hour (anytime during the day M-F) as the Kennedy turns into a parking lot.

MDW-The Orange Line, opened 1996, runs over freight rail line rights of way. Also $2 oneway (as of Jan'06). The trip from the Loop takes 25min, I kid you not! The bad part is: you must walk a long way (almost 700m) to get to check-in. Shortcut to terminal: When you are in the parking garage itself, DO NOT FOLLOW THE PATH recommended. When the path hangs a right, GO STRAIGHT! This takes you to the S elevator bank, go up 1 floor, and voila!, you are inside (out of the cold/heat) and standing next to the TZ check-in counters. This beats having to dodge car cross-traffic with luggage.

Chicago is planning on bldg a hi-speed rail link to/from ORD-MDW-downtown. Not sure how feasible this is. I would rather see money spent on installing baggage racks on the CTA trains. Beats tripping over bags!

Adam

MAS777

Fri Nov 11, 2005 8:37 am

Kuala Lumpur has a wonderful KL Ekspress Rail link with a dedicated City Air Terminal at the new Kuala Lumpur Sentral Station.

This high speed rail link in fact also carries its own IATA code - XKL - as one of the next phases of KL Sentral is to integrate baggage delivery at XKL so your bags could be picked up off the carousels at XKL instead of KUL.

Apart from that the trains are luxurious with KLIA Ekspress video monitors providing news headlines, weather, forex and sports headlines as you sit back and enjoy the whisper quiet high-speed ride into the City.

SXFAN

Fri Nov 11, 2005 8:40 am

Athens Eleftherios Venizelos Intl' has a suburban railway connection with Athens central station and the towns of Thebes, Chalkis & Corinth.
It also has a metro connection with Athens "Monastiraki" underground station.

Greetings from ATH!
Vasilis.

HKGKaiTak

Fri Nov 11, 2005 9:07 am

I'm surprised none of the Aussies have said anything about BNE - excellent AirTrain with stations at both domestic and int'l terminals, and runs into the Central or Roma St in about 15 minutes - much faster than the traffic most times!

Much better than Sydney's abominal efforts (don't get me started).

BNE's AirTrain is also very unique in its "door-to-door" service for incoming tourists to the Gold Coast. You get welcomed at the luggage carousels by an AirTrain porter, who will take your luggage and walk you onto the train for the 75 min journey. At the other end (can't remember which station) pax are met by a waiting limo driver who will whisk them off to their hotel. I'm not sure how well this service has been received though.

The only thing is that the AirTrain is just a normal suburban train service ...

Fave airport trains for me are HKG and OSL, followed closely by AMS. Other airport trains I've used include BNE, CDG, ORD, LHR, BOS, BWI.

Can you count YYZ and YYC where there is a public bus service that drops you off at the nearest railway station? (sort of similar to CDG and BWI)

Has the rail link to SFO been built yet?
4 Engines 4 LongHaul

STT757

Fri Nov 11, 2005 9:07 am

As far as true train service in the U.S., IIRC this is the only airport served directly by Amtrak,

Newark Airport has both Amtrak and NJ Transit service, they serve the airports own station where travelers from Amtrak and NJ Transit transfer to the Airtrain monorail to the Terminals.

In this photo Amtrak boarding on the East (NY) bound platform and NJ Transit boarding on the West (Trenton/Philadelphia) platform.

Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

vega

Fri Nov 11, 2005 9:09 am

Quoting Usairways85 (Reply 8):
PHL: Septa commuter train from center city Philly

R1 High Speed Rail Line (Airport):
Entrance via pedestrian bridges (Terminals A,B,C,D,E/F) and auto roadway.
$5.50 one-way to the following convenient stops ($1.50 additional for connections to SEPTA regional suburban rail lines*):

Eastwick Station#
University City (Penn, Drexel, CHOP, VA)#
30th Street Station (Major Amtrak Station)*
Suburban Rail Station*
MarketEast/The Gallery# (Center City, Greyhound Lines)

# Disabled Accessability
We are but a moment in this vast Universe and when gone we will never have existed.

N1120A

Fri Nov 11, 2005 9:12 am

Quoting HKGKaiTak (Reply 58):
Has the rail link to SFO been built yet?

Yes, it has been in service for at least a year IIRC. The BART line to SFO also connects it to the Penninsula and the South Bay via the Millbrae Intermodal Station and CalTrain and to OAK via Oakland Coliseum station
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

Electech6299

Fri Nov 11, 2005 10:18 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 53):
Newark Airport Station is also served by Amtrak

Oops, you're right... I was pondering something in NY/NJ, but couldn't come up with it and was about to go look for an old timetable. It looks like service there is a bit smoother than BWI too, from STT757's pic.

Quoting HKGKaiTak (Reply 58):
Can you count YYZ and YYC where there is a public bus service that drops you off at the nearest railway station? (sort of similar to CDG and BWI)

Can't speak for the others, but BWI's station is serviced by the airport parking shuttle, and is (or at least used to be, I haven't been since the new parking opened) an easy 5-min walk if you don't feel like waiting. I've taken Metro from Virginia to Union Station and Marc/Amtrak twice to and from BWI. I have to admit, trying to use Acela to go (or arrive from) north from BWI would involve planning your flight around the train, not the other way around. The regional trains have a more forgiving timetable...
Send not to know for whom the bell tolls...it tolls for thee

BDKLEZ

Fri Nov 11, 2005 10:29 am

AMS - I come back to it again because of the variety of train services offered from the airport station.

1. Local/regional services.
2. Domestic Intercity services.
3. International services.
4. Hi speed/luxurious services.
Trespassers will be shot; survivors will be shot again!

F9Fan

Fri Nov 11, 2005 11:06 am

DEN plans on opening a rail link from the airport to downtown by 2014. MIA, FLL, and PBI are all linked by a commuter line with free shuttles from the train stations to the respective terminals.

SIN_SQ

Fri Nov 11, 2005 11:42 am

Singapore Changi Airport is served by MRT trains, city subway. About 30 mins to reach Singapore City.

kosmonaute

Fri Nov 11, 2005 11:58 am

Quoting Sorayafaradiba (Reply 49):
4. others have just a subway or local train going to the airport the way they connect to suburbs, universities, factories etc.

SXF, NUE, HAJ, CPH, BRU

SXF and CPH should be in category 3....they have international train stations.
Burning airlines give you so much more.

pmg1704

Fri Nov 11, 2005 12:07 pm

Quoting BigOrange (Reply 10):
JFK-Monorail to Rail Station

JFK Airtrain isn't a monorail. EWR Airtrain is a monorail.

See JFK Airtrain.

The bond act passed on Tuesday in NYC includes $100 million to begin a single seat rail link from lower Manhattan to JFK.

"JFK Rail Link $100 million This project will facilitate the initial elements of creating a rail link between Lower Manhattan, Jamaica, and JFK International Airport."

STT757

Fri Nov 11, 2005 12:37 pm

Quoting Pmg1704 (Reply 67):
The bond act passed on Tuesday in NYC includes $100 million to begin a single seat rail link from lower Manhattan to JFK.

The $100 million is to do the planning and feasibility study, actual construction funds have not been allocated. At a estimated $6 Billion it's going to be a while, and the source of the funds is still not determined.

[Edited 2005-11-11 04:38:48]

Av8rDAL

Fri Nov 11, 2005 12:41 pm

The S-Bahn from München Hbf to MUC is pretty long but it's not bad at all. Once you get out of town, the only people left on it are bound for the airport and it's nice for a snooze since you don't have to worry about missing the aiport station while dozing (the line ends there). Those Alstom trainsets are nice.

SXF- the long walk from the terminal to the station isn't cool. Hopefully DB will work on that soon.

TXL- bus connections adequate.

HHN- when is DB going to build the link out to this one?

FRA- Arguably the best-connected airport I've been to in the world. S-bahn, U-bahn, ICE...whatever you need.

ATL- MARTA is laughable compared to Deutsche Bahn but you can get into the city pretty quickly if you don't mind the dinginess of the carriages and the token procedure...
Maintain thine airspeed, lest the Earth rise up and smite thee.

BA

Fri Nov 11, 2005 12:53 pm

Switzerland's two main airports, Geneva (GVA) and Zurich (ZRH) are served by the Swiss federal railways, SBB CFF FFS.

GVA is served by 88 trains per day with many destinations all around Switzerland such as Lausanne, Bern, Zurich, Luzern, Basel, St. Gallen, and it even has EuroCity trains to Milan, Italy.

ZRH is served by 300 trains per day including the Zurich S-Bahn with many destinations all around Switzerland such as Lausanne, Geneva, Interlaken, Bern, Basel, Luzern, St. Gallen, and it even has EuroCity trains to Munich, Germany.

Here's a picture of a nice double-deck IC 2000 train departing from Zurich airport's train station:

Quite impressive...
"Generosity is giving more than you can, and pride is taking less than you need." - Khalil Gibran

kosmonaute

Fri Nov 11, 2005 1:43 pm

Quoting Av8rDAL (Reply 69):
SXF- the long walk from the terminal to the station isn't cool. Hopefully DB will work on that soon.

That probably won't be until BBI opens...which will be in 2011.
Burning airlines give you so much more.

deltadude

Fri Nov 11, 2005 2:05 pm

Quoting AirbusA6 (Reply 12):

LGW is served by normal trains too, running to various non London locations. Incidentally, the special Gatwick Express trains are under threat, as they are relatively empty, whereas the normal commuter trains into Victoria are overcrowded, and there is no room for expansion

I always thought the Gatwick Express was quite the unnecessary luxury. The normal commuter train to Victoria is only 10 minutes longer at 1/4 the price. No wonder they are empty. I doesn't seem to make sense to spend 15 more pounds to save 10 minutes. Also...is most of the traffic out of LGW leisure? Value concious leisure travels don't spend 400% premium on train fare to save 10 minutes....heck...that wouldn't even help you if you were late.

centrair

Fri Nov 11, 2005 4:45 pm

NRT is served by the Narita Express (Pricey), Local JR Chiba Line, and the Keisei Line which has its own express train, the Keisei Liner. (Much cheaper than NEX).

HND has several lines feeding it including a monorail. There are not direct train connectsion between NRT and HND, making transfer a pain in the "ketsu".

KIX is served by the Nankai Railway Company with both special and local trains. It is also served by Local JR lines and an Express train connecting KIX to Osaka and Kyoto, called the Haruka.

NGO is only served by the Meitetsu Tokonami Line (private railway). The airport has both Express (the Miu Sky) and local lines. This can connect passengers to The JR lines at Nagoya Station. NGO also has many water taxis to Nagoya Port, Mie Prefecture and Western Aichi.

Fukuoka has a Subway Station located right at the airport to connect passengers to the JR lines.

Naha Aiport is served by the City Monorail line.

New Chitose (Sapporo) has direct express train service to central Sapporo connecting to other lines on Hokkaido.
My name is Centrair but HND is closer. Let's Japanese Aviation!

JCS

Fri Nov 11, 2005 6:36 pm

Quoting BA (Reply 70):
ZRH is served by 300 trains per day

AMS has the following trainservices:
2x 18 hrs = 36 Groningen
2x 24 hrs = 48 The Hague Central Station
2x 18 hrs = 36 Dordrecht/Vlissingen
2x 24 hrs = 48 Amsterdam Central
2x 18 hrs = 36 Amsterdam Central
1x 12 hrs = 12 Amsterdam Central
2x 18 hrs = 36 Lelystad
2x 12 hrs = 24 Lelystad
2x 18 hrs = 36 Leiden
2x 18 hrs = 36 Utrecht
2x 18 hrs = 36 Hoorn
4x 18 hrs = 72 Hoofddorp
1x 12 hrs = 12 Brussels INTERNATIONAL
1x 12 hrs = 12 Paris/CDG/Bourg st. Maurice/Marseille INTERNATIONAL
I am excluding local (bus)services, any special trainservices and regular international trainservices to Germany, but this makes about 480 trainservices. actual trainservices

But I like GVA also very much. Next week I am there again!

CPH757

Fri Nov 11, 2005 6:51 pm

Quoting PipoA380 (Reply 18):
was going to say that But actually this summer I went to CPH and they have a train station right in the airport too, with a 15 minutes connection train to the central station (it does stop twice in between but no problem).

I flew SK into there. Exactly 45 minutes after we touched the runway, we were sitting in the Marriott Hotel in Central Copenhagen! (carry-on luggage only, through terminal, customs, into the train and a short walk + hotel checkin). My record for a hotel not directly at the airport!

Exactly. And the tickets are cheap compared to other airlines. down to 2€, and you can use all trains, subway and busses in copenhagen on that one. I really love that, compared to other airport trains which are independent. God, I was mad after throwing 24£ after STN express for a return last week...

CPH airport have train connection to Sweden as well, and they are in fact expanding the city subway to reach the airport by 2007.
Last flight: SAW-CPH on H9 on 02/11/09 - Next Flights: 23/12/09 CPH-AAL on QI, 30/12/09 CPH-LHR on SK, 19/01/10 CPH-CDG-

futurestar68

Fri Nov 11, 2005 8:18 pm

VIE has a "City Airport Train" which connects the airport to the Vienna City Center railway station in 16 minutes. Those trains operate every 30min between 5:38am and 11:08pm. But the tickets are expensive (€ 8 for a single ticket).
There is also a suburban train operating to Vienna City Center in 25 minutes, the tickets for this train are cheaper (€ 3/single ticket).
Apart from the trains, we have also bus services to Vienna (20 minutes, € 8/single ticket).

Greetings,
Martin

cgnnrw

Fri Nov 11, 2005 11:09 pm

Here's one I'm sure nobody mentioned yet.....MDT, Harrisburg, PA. Amtrak is scheduled to open a rail station by 2007!
A330 man.

PU803

Fri Nov 11, 2005 11:51 pm

TLV is connect to the city by train (12-15 min.), and also to the national train network.
The connection to Jerusalem is at work, and will be open by the end of next year.

PDPsol

Sat Nov 12, 2005 12:50 am

Quoting STT757 (Reply 68):
The $100 million is to do the planning and feasibility study, actual construction funds have not been allocated. At a estimated $6 Billion it's going to be a while, and the source of the funds is still not determined.

Everything in NYC costs three times as much as anywhere else and takes twice as long! Perhaps the biggest obstacle to the 'one-seat' ride to JFK is the fact the new line [if it ever gets built] will leave from the downtown rail center currently under construction designed by Santiago Calatrava, not Penn or Grand Central.

Even getting the JFK AirTrain took decades of planning/fighting and years [and years] of construction. Initial plans for the rail link were developed in the 1960s!

abefroman329

Sat Nov 12, 2005 12:52 am

Quoting Electech6299 (Reply 62):
Can't speak for the others, but BWI's station is serviced by the airport parking shuttle, and is (or at least used to be, I haven't been since the new parking opened) an easy 5-min walk if you don't feel like waiting.

An easy 5-minute walk from BWI Airport Rail Station to the terminal??

STT757

Sat Nov 12, 2005 1:30 am

Quoting Pdpsol (Reply 79):
Everything in NYC costs three times as much as anywhere else and takes twice as long! Perhaps the biggest obstacle to the 'one-seat' ride to JFK is the fact the new line [if it ever gets built] will leave from the downtown rail center currently under construction designed by Santiago Calatrava, not Penn or Grand Central.

Absolutley, in the recently approved Federal Highway bill which is getting alot of criticism because of all the "pork" there's $100 Million in there to do a feasibility and enginering study to build the Cross Harbor rail freight tunnel from Greenville Yards in Jersey City to Red Hook Brooklyn.

As for the Downtown Rail link, I believe (but don't quote me) that the access to the planned platforms would be via the new Fulton Street transit complex. The MTA as usual has gone over budget with the Fulton Street Complex before they even finalized the design, the scope and size of the project is unfortunately being downsized to keep within the $750 Million Dollar budget.

As for the Lower Manhattan link itself there's still some debate and some physical constraints that have to be sorted out.

First, they are not going to be able to merge the LIRR and Airtrain systems to allow joint use. The power, signal systems as well as the fact that the JFK Airtrain is automated and the LIRR is not leaves alot of conflicts that cannot be easily reconciled, there are two plans for the Downtown Link they will pick one but not both.

Option A.

The JFK Airtrain system takes over the operation of the LIRR's Atlantic Ave branch, converting the entire line to Automated Airtrain standards. The line would serve Downtown Brooklyn via a new Underground station before going through a new tunnel to Lower Manhattan (Either Fulton or Calavatrava). Estimated daily ridership 10,000, no more LIRR trains past Jamaica on the Atlantic Ave branch. Airport passengers would have a one seat ride while LIRR passengers would have to connect at Jamaica.

Option B.

The New East River tunnel, Downtown Brooklyn Station and Lower Manhattan are served by the LIRR. It would allow through train service from Long Island for commuters, the daily ridership would be almost double option A. Long Island Commuters would have a One seat ride to Lower Manhattan and Downtown Brooklyn, while JFK Airport travelers would connect at Jamaica Station as they do now.

Those are the options they are working with, there were plans to run "hybrid" trains that could access both the LIRR and Airtrain territories. To make that happen is becoming increasing more expensive and complicated.

In the meantime while they work out the Downtown LIRR/Airtrain plans they should go ahead with the PATH extension along the World Trade Center line from Downtown Newark to Newark Airport's rail link station. At an estimated cost of $550 Million it's a bargain, and it's pretty straight foward. Extend the PATH tracks 1.5 miles from Downtown Newark along the NEC to the Newark Airport rail link station which was built with the PATH extension in mind. It will provide a 25 minute ride from the Santiago Calavatrava PATH hub to the Newark Airport Rail link station, total time from Terminal C to Calavatrava Station would be about 30 minutes.

globetrekker

Sat Nov 12, 2005 1:44 am

Quoting WingedMigrator (Reply 28):
I'm surprised nobody mentioned the coolest airport train of them all... it's in Shanghai, China and will whisk you from the airport to downtown at a cool 430 km/h (267 mph).

.... way overrated. You end up in Longyang Road and you still have to take a subway to get into central Shanghai (Peoples Square/Trainstation/Nanjing Road). It ain't that convenient if you ask me. I paid about 80 Yuan the last time for a one-way.

Does the other airport in Shanghai (SHA) have any connection to the city by rail?

Globe Trekker
The World Is A Book And Those Who Do Not Travel Read Only A Page

LS17031

Sat Nov 12, 2005 2:06 pm

YUL has a Metro station

Nope. Wish it did. Might some day, but for now it's the bus only...

Cheers

jsnww81

Sat Nov 12, 2005 4:19 pm

Planes and trains... my favorite subjects! Here are my reviews of the airport trains I've ridden:

Chicago ORD: A bit of a hike from baggage claim (the CTA station is beneath the parking garage) but trains leave frequently. As many others have said, it's much cheaper than a cab, and it's pretty satisfying to go whizzing by all the traffic on the Kennedy Expressway. If only they'd put in a second track so they can run express trains from the Loop...

Chicago MDW: A pretty lengthy hike from the terminal to the train, although it's gotten better now that the new terminal is open. The walk is freezing in winter. You can get downtown in 20 minutes, which is awesome. I've noticed that trains often take a long time to depart - you'll get on board and sit in the station for almost 10 minutes before the train leaves.

San Francisco SFO: BART trains are more modern than a lot of the rolling stock we have in the US, and they're reasonably quiet as long as they aren't underground. The trip from downtown feels like it takes a long time, though, and you get dropped off at the international terminal regardless of where you're going. BART ain't cheap, either.

Atlanta ATL: Despite its scary reputation, I found MARTA to be very fast and convenient - plus it's right inside the terminal, which is more than we can say for the JFK AirTrain or Boston MBTA. As long as you're staying downtown, it beats the expressway almost every time.

London LHR (Heathrow Express): It costs a fortune and the station feels like it's about six miles underground, but this is a pretty sweet ride. The BBC newscasts are great, and the trains are slick. I was disappointed to hear they're going to add intermediary stops - as far as I could tell, the best way to visit Southall is to pass through going about 90mph.

London LHR (Underground): Climb aboard at Heathrow Central, and 15 grinding, screeching stops later you're still trundling along somewhere in Earl's Court. The trains are usually packed and luggage racks are limited if they exist at all. Still, it's a nice alternative to the Heathrow Express, especially if you've spent all your money in London already.  Wink

Paris CDG (RER): The events of the last few weeks aside, I found this to be a quick and easy way into the city, even if the trains were a little dirty. The CDG-2 integrated station is great, but God help you if arrive into CDG-1...

Frankfurt FRA (S Bahn): The way airport trains should be. An escalator down, buy your ticket and get on the train. Racks for luggage, and a fast ride with no stops (sometimes a quick pause at Niederrad, depending on which train you catch.) Trains are comfortable and you're at Frankfurt Hbf in less than 20 minutes. Amazing!

pmg1704

Sat Nov 12, 2005 9:04 pm

STT757, nice summary of the options available. I wonder why they can't combine the two options, convert the Atlantic Ave tunnels and extend them into lower manhattan with Airtrains running? I guess it's just too expensive.

Quoting STT757 (Reply 68):
The $100 million is to do the planning and feasibility study, actual construction funds have not been allocated. At a estimated $6 Billion it's going to be a while

The MTA finally has something so the talk can stop and they can begin the process.

Quoting STT757 (Reply 81):
they should go ahead with the PATH extension along the World Trade Center line from Downtown Newark to Newark Airport's rail link station. At an estimated cost of $550 Million

Wow, that would be great. Has anything ever happened on this besides a PA "proposed study"?

jm017

Sat Nov 12, 2005 11:13 pm

Quoting LS17031 (Reply 83):
YUL has a Metro station

Nope. Wish it did. Might some day, but for now it's the bus only...

Cheers

The agency that operates commuter trains in Montreal is now apparently planning to build a station near Mirabel (it's not clear from the site whether it's near the now-closed airport). My first thought was "Oh, NOW they build a rail link...."
 banghead 
"It's okay to cheat, if you just really don't like to lose."

STT757

Sun Nov 13, 2005 12:02 am

Quoting Pmg1704 (Reply 85):
Wow, that would be great. Has anything ever happened on this besides a PA "proposed study"?

It was nearly built in 1973 when the Port Authority first built the Central Terminal Area at EWR (A, B, C), the three terminals at Newark Airport were built with ledges inside to accomodate a Monorail. It was to be called the I.T.T.S, or Intra Terminal Train, Service (or system?), and it was to serve the three terminals and a extended PATH line.

The PATH/ITTS station was to be built close to Terminal A on the Northeast Corridor, Terminal A at the time was the busiest Terminal so they were going to build it there so it would be a quick hop to Terminal A.

What killed that project in the 1970's was the fact that New Jersey Politicians (mostly the NJ Governor) were not satisfied with just extending the PATH to Newark Airport, they wanted the PATH to run further South of Newark Airport along the Central New Jersey Main line from Elizabeth all the way through Westfield, Fanwood to Plainfield in Union County.

Westfield and Fanwood are very wealthy towns in Union County, they got nervous of extended mass transit from Urban Newark and Jersey City to their tonny Communities. This was the time of of the racial riots in America where Whites were fleeing the Cities, thus they were scared of "blacks" riding the PATH to their towns to rob them so they began a huge campaign to stop the PATH extension.

They were unfortunately successful in their bid to block the PATH extension, so much so that they would not even allow the EWR extension.

Fast foward to 2005 and these same communities that fought against the PATH extension are now pushing for any kind of passenger rail service along the CNJ right of Way, be it light rail, NJ Transit heavy rail or the proposed Union County Light rail.

It was 23 later that they finally built the Newark Airport "Monorail" in 1996, same design as the 1973 plan. And it was 4 years after the Newark Airport Monorail opened that they finally built the rail connection along the NEC, instead of connecting the PATH they built a new station that serves Amtrak and NJ Transit.

They also moved the location of the Northeast Corridor station to the North so that it would be closer to Terminal C, which today is the busiest Terminal at EWR.

The PATH to Newark Airport extension began to be discussed once again in 2000, the aftermath of the September 11th attacks brought new emphasis to the project to help Lower Manhattan busineses thrive. Mayor Bloomberg ang Governor Pataki both publicly expressed support for the project, and last year the Port Authority allocated money towards the planning.

There's some politics getting in the way though, the NY Politicians don't want to go foward with the PATH extension untill they can secure funds for the Lower Manhattan Airtrain/LIRR project. They fear that if the PATH to EWR project is built the emphasis and priority for linking Downtown with JFK would be lost.

Heres' some reading on the subject, please note these articles are from 1999 and 2000.

http://www.hudsoncity.net/tubes/volpinirailroadnetairport.html

STT757

Sun Nov 13, 2005 12:10 am

Port Authority Press release from November 2004, the press release is about the new airport lease agreement with the City of NY in which they also mentioned the money allocated for planning studies with regards to Lower Manhattn - EWR, JFK rail links.

http://panynj.com/AboutthePortAuthor...ases/PressRelease/index.php?id=607

Quote:
The agreement also calls for the Port Authority to provide funding commitments for one-seat rides from Lower Manhattan to JFK and Newark Liberty airports.

The Port Authority will allocate $60 million to study a direct connection from Lower Manhattan to JFK, and $30 million to study extending the PATH to Newark. If the projects are determined to be feasible from an engineering, operational and financial standpoint, the Port Authority would include funding for these projects in its Capital Plan -- the extension to Newark at an estimated cost of at least $500 million, and contribute an equivalent amount for airport access to JFK.

A319XFW

Sun Nov 13, 2005 12:18 am

For some reason the Canadian airports I've flown to don't have rail connections....
YYZ was a bus service
YVR was also a bus service
YWG was a case of getting friends to pick up! Don't think there's even a public bus service??
I thought a friend who worked at YUL for a while said he used the metro, but that might have been to the nearest bus line to the airport.

exFATboy

Sun Nov 13, 2005 5:11 am

Quoting A342 (Reply 9):
I nearly had to put the hands on my ears in the BART !

Oh, come on, it's not that bad...  Smile

Quoting Abefroman329 (Reply 45):
Besides, it didn't strike me as that convenient for visitors with several days' worth of luggage. Not to mention the fact that it's probably nearly useless for locals and taxi fare for a group of 3-5 would probably be almost the same amount of money, at $3 for a one-way ticket.

Luggage is definitely a problem - the monorail stops on the Strip are a good hike from the hotels themselves, and if you're staying at a hotel on the west side of the Strip you'd have to lug your bags a hell of a long ways.

On the other hand, the taxi queues at LAS are truly ridiculous at peak times, and anything that gives visitors an alternative is good.

Quoting F9fan (Reply 64):
DEN plans on opening a rail link from the airport to downtown by 2014.

Jeez, glad to see they're not rushing to get it done.  sarcastic  Why wasn't it included in the original plan for Senor Pena's Palace of Planes?

Quoting STT757 (Reply 81):
In the meantime while they work out the Downtown LIRR/Airtrain plans they should go ahead with the PATH extension along the World Trade Center line from Downtown Newark to Newark Airport's rail link station. At an estimated cost of $550 Million it's a bargain, and it's pretty straight foward. (snip)

I'd love to see it, but I doubt it'll ever happen - right now NJTransit gets to charge an extortionary fare for passengers getting off at EWR station. It's $3.75 to go from New York Penn to Newark Penn (one stop before the airport), $5.00 to go from NYPenn to North Elizabeth (one stop after the airport), but a whopping $14 to go to the airport itself.

If there was a PATH alternative Manhattanites (and Newarkers) would take PATH rather than NJT, so politically it's a no-go, unless PATH charged a huge surcharge for the airport, and that isn't practical - the entire PATH system is designed for a one-fare operation.

STT757

Sun Nov 13, 2005 5:33 am

Quoting ExFATboy (Reply 90):
I'd love to see it, but I doubt it'll ever happen - right now NJTransit gets to charge an extortionary fare for passengers getting off at EWR station. It's $3.75 to go from New York Penn to Newark Penn (one stop before the airport), $5.00 to go from NYPenn to North Elizabeth (one stop after the airport), but a whopping $14 to go to the airport itself.

If there was a PATH alternative Manhattanites (and Newarkers) would take PATH rather than NJT, so politically it's a no-go, unless PATH charged a huge surcharge for the airport, and that isn't practical - the entire PATH system is designed for a one-fare operation.

To take the PATH to EWR would require paying the surcharge, most likely $7.50 making the total cost around $9.00. Also the PATH does not compete with NJ Transit because to reach mid-town via the PATH requires a transfer at Journal Square.

Amtrak is about double the NJ Transit fare and people still ride Amtrak to NY Penn, NJ Transit is double the PATH fare and with two separate destinations (Mid-town NJ Transit, Lower Manhattan PATH) there should not be too much of an issue.

Also PATH offers direct service to Jersey City's Business District, plenty of large Financial Firms in Jersey City which would like direct access to Newark Airport.

wrighbrothers

Sun Nov 13, 2005 5:48 am

Hello all

Quoting SirOmega (Reply 32):
LAS should have a monorail connection in 2010 or 2011 if the Taxicab authority doesn't try and kill it first. They're spending money now to look at integrating a stop at terminal 3 (yet to be built). I'd only assume there would also be a stop at T1 (T2 isn't that big/popular).

I heard about this,( as a person who's been going yearly to Las Vegas for the last 7 years running) I think it would be a great idea. It's better than having to wait for a shuttle bus to the hotel, although they are cheap.
I've also heard that they plan to extend it down to Down town and up along the other side ( the New York New York and Ballays hotel side), aswell as the airport. Making a LAS-Downtown-LAS service, going along the Flamingo side from LAS, and the Ballays side to LAS.

I also just remember there being the double Decker train from AMS, it was great as a 6 year old, but not been back since  Sad

Wrighbrothers
Always stand up for what is right, even if it means standing alone..

A342

Sun Nov 13, 2005 6:03 am

Quoting ExFATboy (Reply 90):
Oh, come on, it's not that bad...

I said nearly, but my mother really did. I´m used to the new S-bahn trains in MUC and therefore maybe a little spoiled.  Smile
Exceptions confirm the rule.

usflyer msp

Sun Nov 13, 2005 6:13 am

MSP has the Hiawatha Light Rail line which takes you to downtown Minneapolis in 19-29 minutes (depending on which terminal you start at and your destination) or the Mall of America in 9-11 minutes. Its clean, relatively quick, has luggage racks (which i've never seen used), and is usually pretty crowded. The fare is $1.50 off-peak and $2.00 peak (6AM-9AM; 3PM-6:30PM) and includes a transfer than can be used on buses or for one's return trip within 2.5 hours.

Both stops are quite aways from their respective terminals. To get to the Lindbergh Terminal ticketing lobby, one has to go up two escalators to the Transit centre, catch the tram to the Tram Level, walk across the tram level, and catch a two-story escalator to the ticketing lobby. It can be quite confusing for the first-time visitor. The Humphrey terminal is even worse (it is an outdoor station). One must walk through an unheated shed, through the parking garage (without a clear, separate pedestrian path), through the car rental centre, across the access road, into the terminal. This should get better when the MAC builds the second Humphrey Terminal parking ramp which will include a skyway between the Terminal and the Light-Rail Station.

All in all, it is convenient and much cheaper than a taxi or supershuttle.

USFlyer MSP

sllevin

Sun Nov 13, 2005 6:18 am

SIN also has rail right at the airport. Nice if it's during the day, although the taxis are also inexpensive.

Steve

exFATboy

Sun Nov 13, 2005 8:29 am

Quoting STT757 (Reply 91):
To take the PATH to EWR would require paying the surcharge, most likely $7.50 making the total cost around $9.00. Also the PATH does not compete with NJ Transit because to reach mid-town via the PATH requires a transfer at Journal Square.

Amtrak is about double the NJ Transit fare and people still ride Amtrak to NY Penn, NJ Transit is double the PATH fare and with two separate destinations (Mid-town NJ Transit, Lower Manhattan PATH) there should not be too much of an issue.

The fact that you have to transfer at Journal Square doesn't mean that people don't use PATH to go from Newark Penn to Midtown - thousands of people do it every day, 'cause it's only a buck-fifty instead of the NJT fare. It's particularly common for passengers coming into Newark Penn on the Raritan Valley Line, who have to change trains anyway, to switch to PATH rather than a Midtown Direct train. I've done it myself.

Is there enough demand from Jersey City to justify extending PATH to EWR, even with the surcharge? Especially since you'd be spending $550 million just so these people could have a one-seat ride rather than changing at Newark Penn? Only reason other than the one-seat convenience for Jersey City travelers would be to increase frequency, particularly on the weekends, but this could be accomplished by NJT simply running a dedicated train between Newark Penn and the airport station. They might have to build a switchback on the airport end, but that would cost a tiny fraction of the PATH extension expense, and while I'd love to see the PATH project go forward, I can't help but think there are better ways to spend half a billion bucks of the PANYNJ's cash.

STT757

Sun Nov 13, 2005 1:37 pm

Quoting ExFATboy (Reply 96):
They might have to build a switchback on the airport end, but that would cost a tiny fraction of the PATH extension expense, and while I'd love to see the PATH project go forward, I can't help but think there are better ways to spend half a billion bucks of the PANYNJ's cash.

They are spending $150 Million of the Port Authority's cash to build the Meadowlands rail link so people can ride the train to a Giant's / Jets game, or go to Xanadu.

$550 Million to link Newark Airport with Lower Manhattan, Jersey City and Hoboken is well worth the expenditure.

BH346

Mon Nov 14, 2005 7:49 am

Okinawa/Naha Airport is at the end of the Okinawa Monorail (Yui-Rail) line as Naha-Kuko Station. Naha-Kuko station is connected to the Domestic Terminal with a walkway with moving sidewalks. Yui-Rail is pretty nice, it's just a couple years old and costs at most 290 Yen to go from Naha-Kuko Station to Shuri Station at the other end of the line. For shorter routes it's 200, 230, and 260 Yen. If for some reason you have a really long layover in Naha, the monorail can take you right into Kokusai Street or Omoromachi for shopping or you can go to Shuri, catch a cab at the station or walk to Shuri Castle. Naha-Kuko Station is probably the busiest station on the line. Since the monorail can be quite crowded, it's not a good idea to use the monorail if you have a lot of luggage. I'm familiar with the monorail since there is a station right in front of the place I stayed in Naha and I used to take Yui-Rail down to the airport for spotting.
Northwest Airlines - Some People Just Know How to Fly

airstatdfw

Mon Nov 14, 2005 8:54 am

Quoting Kaniksu (Reply 25):
DFW should have rail service by 2013

DFW has rail service now from downtown Fort Worth and Dallas on the Trinity Railway Express. In Dallas you can Ride the DART light rail downtown and connect on the train out to the airport. You get on a bus at the airport station and it takes you up to the terminals. Around 2013 the DART light rail should come into the airport from the north as the TRE is from the south. We also have the Skylink from Terminal to Terminal.

AirStatDFW

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos