Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

sorayafaradiba
Topic Author

Airport Trains

Thu Nov 10, 2005 10:11 pm

probably this has been discussed before - at least to some extent!

but it might be nice to have a list with all airports having train connections!

there are also a lot of related topics which sound intersting...

when did the trains start to run?
how much are they used?
only local trains?

another thing: does it make sense to build an express train to an airport if there is almost no other form of decent public transport? i am thinking of us cities...

here a list for germany

FRA : regional trains (s-bahn) and high-speed-trains to most of germany

(in my opinion one of the best connected airports in the world!!!)

MUC: only s-bahn (not very well planned)

DUS: s-bahn and some other trains

TXL: a lot of buses

HAM: s-bahn will start in 2007?

STR: s-bahn

CGN: s-bahn and some other trains

NUE: subway

DRS: s-bahn

LEJ: s-bahn and some other trains

HAJ: s-bahn

BRE: tram

SXF: s-bahn, trains

THF: subway

erfurt: tram

HHN might get something, what about DTM? or FMO?

theoretically we could make long list for all countries...  Smile

MarshalN

RE: Airport Trains

Thu Nov 10, 2005 10:32 pm

Well, of the airports I'm slightly familiar with

HKG - special train operated by the subway system. Fast

PVG - Meg-lev train to nowhere. Really fast, but really not worth the trouble.

KIX - Trains, but not very fast

BOS - Well, yes, train, but slow, and buses, or just taxi

CLE - I think there's a train, but few people take it unless you live right on the line (which isn't too likely)

LAX - Nothing, as expected. (or does the subway reach? I don't know anybody who rides that thing...)

SFO - BART! Nice train, but not too fast.

ORD - Long train ride, but it's way cheaper than taking a taxi

[Edited 2005-11-10 14:36:44]

ClassicLover

Thu Nov 10, 2005 10:37 pm

SYD - the suburban train system has stations for both Domestic and International Terminals. About 10 minutes to the city centre from the airport.

Trent.
I do enjoy a spot of flying, especially when it's not in economy!

Mir

Thu Nov 10, 2005 10:44 pm

JFK: Airtrain from each terminal to the subway and LIRR.

EWR: Airtrain from each terminal to NJ Transit and Amtrak.

MSP: Tram

All three involve a fair amount of walking from the terminal to the train.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

AirplanePeanut

Thu Nov 10, 2005 10:47 pm

ATL has MARTA

airplane Peanut

JCS

Thu Nov 10, 2005 11:05 pm

Quoting Sorayafaradiba (Thread starter):
FRA : regional trains (s-bahn) and high-speed-trains to most of germany

(in my opinion one of the best connected airports in the world!!!)

AMS is even better. AMS had a train terminal UNDER the departures/arrivals and AMS-trains serve:
- Regular services to connect non-stop every trainstation in the Netherlands or with a maximum of 1 time changing trains.
- High-speed trains to Belgium and France, including non-stop (!) CDG, the French Mediterranean coast (summer) and the French Alps (winter).
- regular international trains services tot Belgium (Brussels, Antwerp) and Germany (Berlin)

The High-speed train to FRA asks to make a connection on Amsterdam central station.

Besides, AMS has a busstation which serves mostly the region around.

Cheers,

Johannes

[Edited 2005-11-10 15:08:14]

longhaulheavy

Thu Nov 10, 2005 11:08 pm

CDG has the RER and TGV stations, although last week, the RER coverage was a bit spotty because of an "urban disturbance..."

airworlda320

Thu Nov 10, 2005 11:09 pm

Some Principal UK airports with rail stations

Manchester(MAN), served by Northern Rail and Trans Pennine Express

Heathrow(LHR), served by Heathrow Express(owned by BAA), London Underground

Gatwick(LGW), served by Gatwick Express

Birmingham International(BHX), served by Virgin Trains, Central Trains

Stansted(STN), served by Stansted Express

[Edited 2005-11-10 15:13:45]
Pull off kid, it ill go.

usairways85

Thu Nov 10, 2005 11:10 pm

PHL: Septa commuter train from center city Philly
BWI: light rail trolley from downtown baltimore

A342

Thu Nov 10, 2005 11:10 pm

Quoting MarshalN (Reply 1):
SFO - BART! Nice train, but not too fast.

A nice train ? You should compare it´s noise level (and that of the NY subway for that matter) to the S-Bahn here in Germany (at least in MUC). I nearly had to put the hands on my ears in the BART !
Exceptions confirm the rule.

BigOrange

Thu Nov 10, 2005 11:29 pm

MAN
BHX-Maglev
LHR
LGW
JFK-Monorail to Rail Station
EWR-Monorail to Rail Station
PHL
DCA-Metro
ATL-Marta

CBERFlyer

Thu Nov 10, 2005 11:57 pm

BWI - Amtrak/MARC service to Baltimore, DC and other Northeast Corridor cities (shuttle bus from air terminals to rail station located on periphery of airport property), also MTA light rail to downtown Baltimore.

AirbusA6

Fri Nov 11, 2005 12:09 am

Quoting AirworldA320 (Reply 7):
Gatwick(LGW), served by Gatwick Express

LGW is served by normal trains too, running to various non London locations. Incidentally, the special Gatwick Express trains are under threat, as they are relatively empty, whereas the normal commuter trains into Victoria are overcrowded, and there is no room for expansion
it's the bus to stansted (now renamed National Express a6 to ruin my username)

BWI757

Fri Nov 11, 2005 12:17 am

Quoting Usairways85 (Reply 8):
BWI: light rail trolley from downtown baltimore

Also the BWI rail station served by commuter rail and Amtrak

BWI757
"Like stars across the sky, we were born to shine" - Andrea Bocelli

FLYtoEGCC

Fri Nov 11, 2005 12:26 am

Quoting AirworldA320 (Reply 7):
Stansted(STN), served by Stansted Express

STN is also served by Central Trains with an hourly Birmingham New Street - Stansted Airport service (which is constantly overcrowded.)
Come fly with me, let's fly, let's fly away...

ANother

Fri Nov 11, 2005 12:34 am

Don't forget GVA and ZRH - both on the CFF/SBB mainline with local, regional and international trains. Except for US flights you can even check in (the day before) for your flights with your baggage at any rail station in Switzerland. From Geneva airport its 6mins to downtown and costs the same as the local bus CHF2.40 vs. CHF30 for a taxi.

Nobody seems to have mentioned the so-call Brussels Airport express, which isn't ... Truth in advertising they should change the name to the "Brussels, not very fast train that won't stop more than 2 or 3 times before Brussels Central station", but that probably wouldn't fit on the side of the train. The only thing you can say for it, is it's a LOT cheaper than a taxi.

mhodgson

Fri Nov 11, 2005 12:41 am

BLK has Squires Gate railway station a 5 minute walk away, with hourly trains to Preston and Colne, operated by Northern Rail
No trees were harmed by this message. However, several million electrons were terribly inconvenienced

SRT75

Fri Nov 11, 2005 12:57 am

LAX - Nothing, as expected. (or does the subway reach? I don't know anybody who rides that thing...)

No, the Green Line does not actually go into the airport. There is a free shuttle from the airport to the nearest station.

Classic LA politics. The original plan was to have a train station at the airport. Local taxi drivers and other steakholders made a huge fuss, and the plan was abandoned. So the train line turns south just east of the airport.

Does anybody ride it? Let's just say it's not the most popular form of transportation in the city.

The upside: If you are trying to get downtown, you can take the train for $1.25 (vs. a cab which is $40+).

The downside: Anywhere else in LA and it's pretty much useless. Plus, it will take as long or longer than a cab ride to get downtown (even in rush hour)

PipoA380

Fri Nov 11, 2005 1:04 am

Quoting ANother (Reply 15):
s

I was going to say that  Wink But actually this summer I went to CPH and they have a train station right in the airport too, with a 15 minutes connection train to the central station (it does stop twice in between but no problem).

I flew SK into there. Exactly 45 minutes after we touched the runway, we were sitting in the Marriott Hotel in Central Copenhagen! (carry-on luggage only, through terminal, customs, into the train and a short walk + hotel checkin). My record for a hotel not directly at the airport!

Best regards
Philippe
It's not about AIRBUS. it's not about BOEING. It's all about the beauty of FLYING.

airworlda320

Fri Nov 11, 2005 1:18 am

Re: my earlier post, it was only meant to be a general overview of some of the services and available operators available but thanks for adding the info  Smile
Pull off kid, it ill go.

GLA MD11

Fri Nov 11, 2005 1:47 am

Paris airport have an interesting train system:
- in ORY, there is an automated metro from the suburban train line to the terminals. Takes about 10 minutes, 45 to be in central Paris.
- in CDG, there are both the high speed trains (TGV) to all over France and the suburban train (RER) to Paris (32 minutes). For the latter, there will be a new direct connection in a couple years from Gare de l'Est, in downtown Paris, to CDG direct, on special trains equiped with all the amenities (bar, luggage storage, etc).

EI747SYDNEY

Fri Nov 11, 2005 2:20 am

NRT Express links downtown Tokyo to Narita.

Hope this helps.

Rob  wave 
''Live life on the edge, Live each and every day like it's your last, Hell you only live once''

ClassicLover

Fri Nov 11, 2005 2:25 am

... and there is a train out to Osaka Kansai (KIX)

Trent.
I do enjoy a spot of flying, especially when it's not in economy!

MarshalN

Fri Nov 11, 2005 2:35 am

Quoting A342 (Reply 9):
A nice train ? You should compare it´s noise level (and that of the NY subway for that matter) to the S-Bahn here in Germany (at least in MUC). I nearly had to put the hands on my ears in the BART !

I agree -- it's not the best, but you know, in the US, any train to an airport that doesn't take two hours or isn't extremely slow is a nice train.

Quoting EI747SYDNEY (Reply 21):
NRT Express links downtown Tokyo to Narita.

NRT express is so expensive! IIRC the fast train costs a fortune...

LCH

Fri Nov 11, 2005 2:58 am

OSL has an airport express train (FlyToget) connecting the airport with Oslo Central Station in 19 minutes. (Fast train but long distance  Smile)

kaniksu

Fri Nov 11, 2005 3:08 am

PDX has light rail (MAX)

DFW should have rail service by 2013  Smile

Indy

Fri Nov 11, 2005 3:12 am

It is a bit of a walk from where my flight usually arrives but there is nothing nicer than taking the ICE from FRA to my final destination. I will say the glass enclosure of the fehrnbahnhof was a bit miserable a few years back when I arrived during that brutal heatwave.
IND to RDU to OKC in 18 months. This is what my life has become.

BlatantEcho

Fri Nov 11, 2005 3:16 am

the rail connection at PDX is GREAT.

Take it to the airport all the time, $1.50 from most of the area, pretty faster (faster than traffic) and runs often. Drops you off right at the side of the terminal.

WingedMigrator

Fri Nov 11, 2005 3:32 am

I'm surprised nobody mentioned the coolest airport train of them all... it's in Shanghai, China and will whisk you from the airport to downtown at a cool 430 km/h (267 mph).

PlaneGuy27

Fri Nov 11, 2005 3:35 am

FCO has the Leonardo Express
MXP has the Malpensa Express

YYZ will be getting on in the future thanks to David Collinette.

BHMNONREV

Fri Nov 11, 2005 3:39 am

STL has light rail (MetroLink) which will drop you off at Savvis Center, Busch Stadium or the Edward Jones Dome for $1.50 (or was several years ago).

I found it to be much better than MARTA in ATL, just not as extensive a route network...

ckfred

Fri Nov 11, 2005 3:42 am

The train ride from the Loop to ORD is long, but as MarshaIn said, it is much cheaper than a taxi, even after the CTA fare increase goes into effect.

More importantly, during rush hour, the train is significantly faster than driving the Kennedy Expressway.

There has been talk for years of creating express service to ORD, but the problem becomes getting the express trains around the local trains. It's a two-track system, so that would involve switching trains from one track to the other, and then switching back again.

siromega

Fri Nov 11, 2005 3:48 am

LAS should have a monorail connection in 2010 or 2011 if the Taxicab authority doesnt try and kill it first. They're spending money now to look at integrating a stop at terminal 3 (yet to be built). I'd only assume there would also be a stop at T1 (T2 isnt that big/popular).

N1120A

Fri Nov 11, 2005 3:59 am

There is a free shuttle to the Green Line light rail and a bus hub

BOS - Well, yes, train, but slow, and buses, or just taxi

The subway isn't slow and the airport has two kinds of busses. They have local busses as well as the dedicated Silver Line Dual Mode Bus Rapid Transit line

SAN is a short walk from Downtown San Diego where you can get both Amtrak and San Diego Trolley services.

LTN has a commuter rail station
LCY is getting a Docklands Light Rail station and has bus connections
LBG (for the air show) is on the same RER line as CDG
MDW has a subway line
OAK has a shuttle to the Coliseum BART Station
SJC will eventually get Santa Clara Light Rail, and currently has a shuttle to it
DCA has 2 metrorail lines and is a very fast ride into the city
IAD has a shuttle to the metrorail and an extension is proposed
MIA has a commuter rail
FLL has a commuter rail (also goes to MIA)
MAN has a commuter rail
YUL has a Metro station
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

Scorpio

Fri Nov 11, 2005 4:14 am

Quoting ANother (Reply 15):
Nobody seems to have mentioned the so-call Brussels Airport express, which isn't ... Truth in advertising they should change the name to the "Brussels, not very fast train that won't stop more than 2 or 3 times before Brussels Central station"

In all fairness, it needs to be said that there are some reasons for that: the main line the train runs on ( the one between Leuven and Brussels) is being expanded, and the works for that mean that the maximum speed on the line has been brought down, and often cause delays. Once the line is finished (by the end of next year) speeds will go up quite a bit. What is more, only one of the four hourly trains stops at all those additional stations. All the others go straight from the airport to the big Brussels stations (North, Central, South).

Starting in a month, train services at BRU will be expanded: a new section will be opened between the line to the airport and the Brussels - Leuven line, enabling direct trains to the east of the country. Going to the airport from Leuven will then take less than 20 minutes, as opposed to almost and hour now.

BTW, BRU was one of the first airports in the world (maybe even THE first) to get a direct rail connection to the city center. It opened in 1958!

KELPkid

Fri Nov 11, 2005 4:18 am

Quoting BlatantEcho (Reply 27):
the rail connection at PDX is GREAT.

Take it to the airport all the time, $1.50 from most of the area, pretty faster (faster than traffic) and runs often. Drops you off right at the side of the terminal.

Unfortunately, Tri-Met's ticket prices are going up faster than inflation!!! I think an allzone pass (necessary to get downtown) is up to near $1.90 now...

MAX is great as long as you're just going downtown. If you take it to the west suburbs (from the airport), a car beats it every time (WAY too many stops getting through downtown, then again leaving town).
Celebrating the birth of KELPkidJR on August 5, 2009 :-)

planesarecool

Fri Nov 11, 2005 4:44 am

Gatwick is served by Gatwick Express (Victoria), Southern (Stations to Eastbourne, Hastings, Brighton, Littlehampton, Portsmouth, Southampton and Victoria/London Bridge), South Eastern (trains to Tonbridge/Tunbridge Wells), First Great Western Link (Reading, Guildford, Reigate, Dorking), Virgin Cross Country (Brighton, Guildford, Reading, Oxford, Birmingham, Manchester) and Thameslink (Bedford-Brighton).

It is the airport with the most trains passing through/stopping, and with the most stations served, in the UK.

fuffla

Fri Nov 11, 2005 4:51 am

SYD has suburban train connections to the main station (central) every 10 minutes or so. However, it is really expensive and, if travelling in a group, it would be cheaper to take a taxi. The line is failing miserably. Which is a pity, because if the fares were quite low, i would use it all the time.

dstc47

Fri Nov 11, 2005 5:18 am

Re BRU being possibly the first airport to have a train connection, it is well and truly beaten by Gatwick, which had a rail connection in the 1930's.

Both rail station and terminal have moved about since, of course.

mischadee

Fri Nov 11, 2005 5:37 am

Quoting WingedMigrator (Reply 28):
I'm surprised nobody mentioned the coolest airport train of them all... it's in Shanghai, China and will whisk you from the airport to downtown at a cool 430 km/h (267 mph).

Take a look at reply 1.

ARN has the very comfortable Arlanda Express, only 20 minutes to the airport at a reasonably low price, at least if you're a student or youth.

Mischa.
ARNiboy

MUCFlieger

Fri Nov 11, 2005 5:43 am

PIK is served by a slow regional train that takes you to Glasgow central station (very dirty train though, but cheap)

rdwootty

Fri Nov 11, 2005 5:59 am

Just a note that is missing>
Birmingham is only 1 hour 16 mins to Euston with Virgin Trains so this compares favorably with taking the Tube from Terminal 4 to Euston (time shown on the web for this trip is 1 hour 16 mins!!! ) Does the tube have,toilets? Comfortable seats? A refreshment service?? In train audio/ Radio and so on!!!
So come on evrybody fly to Brum for Euston!!

rmcf

Fri Nov 11, 2005 6:00 am

MAD has Metro (line 8, btw, with fantastic trains) although the new terminal won't have (after some disputes between the central government and the Madrid one). They also talked about linking the airport with the city by AVE (high speed train) but I think they've forgotten about the project!
bye! rmcf

LH459

Fri Nov 11, 2005 6:22 am

Quoting A342 (Reply 9):

You're right! I think BART trains are even louder than the old S-Bahn trains in Berlin! You have to shout to have a conversation on BART when it's in the tunnels.
"I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is temporary; the evil it does is permanent" - Ghandi

Tornado82

Fri Nov 11, 2005 6:26 am

Tiny little SBN (South Bend, IN) has the South Shore trains pulling right up to the terminal, which go from there to near the GYY area, where they connect with much of the rest of the Chicago transit system as well, with numerous stops in between across NW Indiana.

abefroman329

Fri Nov 11, 2005 6:38 am

Quoting SirOmega (Reply 32):
LAS should have a monorail connection in 2010 or 2011 if the Taxicab authority doesnt try and kill it first.

I'm sure they'll murder it.

Besides, it didn't strike me as that convenient for visitors with several days' worth of luggage. Not to mention the fact that it's probably nearly useless for locals and taxi fare for a group of 3-5 would probably be almost the same amount of money, at $3 for a one-way ticket.

AirbusA6

Fri Nov 11, 2005 6:42 am

Not an airport train, but Venice Marco Polo has a waterbus to St Marks which is a wonderful way to arive!!
it's the bus to stansted (now renamed National Express a6 to ruin my username)

GQfluffy

Fri Nov 11, 2005 6:45 am

I like the old one in DFW. That thing went thru Mexico before it went to the next concourse....
This isn't where I parked my car...

Christa

Fri Nov 11, 2005 6:45 am

CWL has a railway station. It is served by Arriva Trains Wales and there is a service every 30 minutes on the hour and half past the hour. This train service operates to Cardiff Central and Queen Street, allowing people to connect to other train services to London, Manchester, Bristol, Swansea, Exeter and many other destinations.

The airport plan to get some train services that operate from London to South Wales, thus increasing train throughput at the airport's train station.

The train station at the moment is connected to the actual terminal with a bus service that takes approximately 3 minutes from/to the airport. The bus service is free and runs along side the train times.

Regards,
Chris
Croeso i Faes Awyr Rhyngwladol Caerdydd - Welcome to Cardiff International Airport

sorayafaradiba
Topic Author

Fri Nov 11, 2005 6:50 am

it is time for a first resume:

we have several different systems of trains going to airports:

1. special trains which are luxurious and/or expensive and/or fast

PVG, NRT, KIX, LHR

2. we have crappy trains which are not very fast but cheap

a lot of us airports

3. some airports have "real" train stations for (inter)national trains

FRA, AMS, CDG, ZRH, GVA

4. others have just a subway or local train going to the airport the way they connect to suburbs, universities, factories etc.

SXF, NUE, HAJ, CPH, BRU

and there is venice  Smile

also interesting the monorails in HND and Naha/Okinawa.
actually haneda monorail is one of the oldes and best working monorails in the world.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos