DLX737200
Topic Author

Icelandair To Sanford (SFB)

Fri Nov 11, 2005 5:22 am

Apparently Icelandair has decided to make the move from Orlando (MCO) to Sanford (SFB) recently. I haven't seen any official press releases but when you go here:

http://www.orlandosanfordairport.com/airlines.asp

you can clearly see Icelandair is listed under airlines. I'm curious when this service is starting and what the flight times are. Icelandair always leaves/arrives MCO after sunset so I have NEVER been able to catch a shot of them. Maybe I will at Sanford now, unless they maintain the same flight times. Let's hope not.

-Justin

RL757PVD

RE: Icelandair To Sanford (SFB)

Fri Nov 11, 2005 5:50 am

Here is the PR http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/051110/20051110005784.html?.v=1

I dont know why theyd do it other than the reaosn for airport costs, move from a nice convenient airport like MCO to the dive that is SFB.
Experience is what you get when what you thought would work out didn't!

loisencroach

Fri Nov 11, 2005 8:02 am

I still think that Rockford will get some type of European carrier in 2006. Maybe Icelandair will be it.

FI642

Fri Nov 11, 2005 11:07 am

Cost was the reason. MCO has gotten to be too expensive.
737MAX, Cool Planes for the Worlds Coolest Airline.

LawnDart

Fri Nov 11, 2005 3:47 pm

Quoting RL757PVD (Reply 1):
I dont know why theyd do it other than the reaosn for airport costs, move from a nice convenient airport like MCO to the dive that is SFB.

Why do you think SFB is a dive? The terminal looks fairly nice...it's new...and convenient to use (unless you're a mouse...).

HT

Fri Nov 11, 2005 4:14 pm

Quoting LawnDart (Reply 4):
unless you're a mouse...).

Confused

Is this referencing to a) the fact that SFB´s is further away from Disney than MCO or b) the number of mice-hunting reptiles in SFB´s terminal ?
-HT
Carpe diem ! Life is too short to waste your time ! Keep in mind, that today is the first day of the rest of your life !

justinpower

Fri Nov 11, 2005 7:45 pm

Over the years, FI's timetable has suggested that its B757s have sat around at Orlando for the best part of a day before returning to Keflavik because of the block time for the route is just a little too much to allow for a normal turnaround and return journey to get back in time (within a 24 hour period) for the next morning's European connections.

Question: have the B757s ever been put to good use during this down time, for other carriers? Or have they been sitting around doing nothing? Will this continue at Sanford? And also, is the route to Florida remaining a year-round service as in 2005?

HT

Fri Nov 11, 2005 7:52 pm

Quoting Justinpower (Reply 6):
Over the years, FI's timetable has suggested that its B757s have sat around at Orlando for the best part of a day before returning to Keflavik

Then I can think of that the parking charges at SFB probably are considerably lower than at MCO ?!
-HT
Carpe diem ! Life is too short to waste your time ! Keep in mind, that today is the first day of the rest of your life !

DLX737200
Topic Author

Fri Nov 11, 2005 8:45 pm

From Article:
Larry Dale, President of the Sanford Airport Authority, commented, "For years, our number one request from the traveling public has been for service to Europe from Orlando Sanford.

Ugh. Larry Dale. He's the one who has made SFB so impossible to shoot pictures at and will have you arrested if caught on the property and charge you with trespassing.

-Justin

Falcon Flyer

Fri Nov 11, 2005 11:42 pm

In Orlando for NBAA and was planning a jaunt up to SFB this afternoon for some photography. Am I going to have any problems ?
My definition of cool ? Not trying so hard to be cool.

RL757PVD

Sat Nov 12, 2005 12:43 am

Why do you think SFB is a dive? The terminal looks fairly nice...it's new...and convenient to use (unless you're a mouse...).

Yea its new and quick to use, but the access isnt that great, and if you have ever been on the ramp side you will notice it bears the resemblence to a shed, with metal sides and no windows. the front facade is nice, but its just that....a facade. The terminal is the perfect example of what you get with the lowest bidder. The parking lots are sorta cramped in there too as i recall. Ive said before its fine for charter ops, but if far inferior to MCO in terms of passenger services for scheduled ops.
Experience is what you get when what you thought would work out didn't!

CPH757

Sat Nov 12, 2005 1:18 am

Quoting RL757PVD (Reply 10):
Ive said before its fine for charter ops, but if far inferior to MCO in terms of passenger services for scheduled ops.

Perfect match for FI then  wink 
Last flight: SAW-CPH on H9 on 02/11/09 - Next Flights: 23/12/09 CPH-AAL on QI, 30/12/09 CPH-LHR on SK, 19/01/10 CPH-CDG-

DLX737200
Topic Author

Sat Nov 12, 2005 1:35 am

Quoting Falcon flyer (Reply 9):
In Orlando for NBAA and was planning a jaunt up to SFB this afternoon for some photography. Am I going to have any problems ?

Not there is that much to photograph today anyway but if you do, stay off airport property. Do NOT go on airport property or excpect to be hasseled and threatened for arrest!

-Justin

FI642

Sat Nov 12, 2005 2:13 am

FI does mostly and O/D service to MCO, so the change to SFB will simply be a cost saving for them.
737MAX, Cool Planes for the Worlds Coolest Airline.

miamix707

Sat Nov 12, 2005 4:07 am

Justin, Icelandair 757s depart in good enough light during the summer, around 7pm.

Quoting DLX737200 (Reply 12):
Not there is that much to photograph today anyway but if you do, stay off airport property. Do NOT go on airport property or excpect to be hasseled and threatened for arrest!

About two weeks ago there was a local Sanford couple, standing outside their pickup watching the planes there and taking photos. Im sure they would be treated nicely though, if anyone bothered to say something to them at all. Younger guys like us would not get this benefit.

Last time I shot through the fence near a building on the west side of the ramp, some young redneck chubby dude that also could have used a good shave and a haircut, came outside with a camera saying how he had just taken a pcture of me. I asked why, and he said because we're in 'high security alert'. As the dumbass is walking away i asked him if by any chance I looked like "a terrorist" to him.. Maybe he'll make a poster with it Smile

Maybe someone could send mr. Larry Dale a pic of MAN showing how all those same planes that visit SFB are photographed by a 'criminal gang' of 100 photogs at once. I'm afraid you can't be too bright and have a name like Larry Dale though.

As far as SFB, well that place looks like a bus terminal or some kind of train station and is a long and tedious drive on I-4 for those who live (in Orlando) unless you're on the east side of town, where 417 takes you there in 25 mins (paying more than $3 in tolls one way).

MCO is a beautiful airport, if I was a tourist I'd be impressed for sure. Can't say the same about SFB, which I guess does give a supposed "Florida feel" to overseas tourists, the place doesnt even look like an airport.

bmi332

Sat Nov 12, 2005 6:03 am

The terminal looks fairly nice...it's new...and Convenient to use

I've flown to SFB quite a few times and I prefer it to MCO

miamix707

Sat Nov 12, 2005 6:50 am

Quoting Bmi332 (Reply 15):
I've flown to SFB quite a few times and I prefer it to MCO

You live, I guess in the UK. It must be cool flying for 7 hours, stepping out of the airport building and into the open air, walking a few steps to the car and leave seeing nothing but grass, pine trees and bushes. (A natural scene which I don't find eye pleasing at all) lol But again im not a tourist, if you guys think that's cool, I'm glad.

Last time I drove to SFB there were Highway Patrol unmarked as diarrhea-brown Ford Mustangs on 417 waiting to catch someone speeding. I almost got caught.. if it wasn't for a raised hillbilly pickup truck that was blocking me from going faster.

gmonney

Sat Nov 12, 2005 7:11 am

Been to SFB twice and I prefer it over the busy airports... when the plane lands, the bags are off very quickly and i start to enjoy my vacation much faster! Actually, this past winter when Jetgo was still operating out of SFB and operating in general, i got a flight for $277 tax in CDN from YYZ, that is a very good price for a febuary flight!, sure its a little out of the way, but if you time the I4 right its not a big deal!

SFB is and will be a great airport for GA traffic and some overflow from MCO, oh and I have flown into MCO, on an Air Transat L1011... one of the last flight of the beasts!

Grant
Drive it like you stole it!

N1120A

Sat Nov 12, 2005 7:18 am

Quoting Loisencroach (Reply 2):
I still think that Rockford will get some type of European carrier in 2006. Maybe Icelandair will be it.

Does RFD have an FIS?
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

loisencroach

Sat Nov 12, 2005 8:11 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 18):

Yes, it does. It handles all the Mexico flights. It's in an old ARFF station, so it's not anything great to look at from the outside, but it has stationed Customs Agents. In the summer, I don't think they do too much except process an occasional international diversion from ORD.

alphaomega

Fri Nov 18, 2005 9:15 am

Quoting RL757PVD (Reply 10):
Yea its new and quick to use, but the access isnt that great, and if you have ever been on the ramp side you will notice it bears the resemblence to a shed, with metal sides and no windows. the front facade is nice, but its just that....a facade. The terminal is the perfect example of what you get with the lowest bidder. The parking lots are sorta cramped in there too as i recall. Ive said before its fine for charter ops, but if far inferior to MCO in terms of passenger services for scheduled ops.

Thats what SFB was designed for. Not to be beautiful and give the passengers a nice view of the ramp and other areas from the terminal through large windows, but to get them off the plane, through customs, and out the door quickly. The part of the terminal you are referring to "with metal sides and no windows" is nothing but a series of hallways leading to/from the gates. The passengers wait for their flights where there is a patio that overlooks the ramp and the part of the terminal that does have windows.

Icelandair starts in March 3x weekly.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos