Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

GEEZ
Topic Author

LHR - LHR Flight?

Sun Nov 13, 2005 12:49 am

Hi all,

I have just seen this on the LHR departures website!

15:20 BA9216C HEATHROW TAXIED 1536 Terminal One

A LHR-LHR service???

Any ideas???

Chris  wave 
If it ain't broke, don't try to fix it... UNLESS it's a crap AFCAD!

Vasu

RE: LHR - LHR Flight?

Sun Nov 13, 2005 1:16 am

Pilot training?

Nervous flyer course?

only a couple of ideas...

Rj111

Sun Nov 13, 2005 1:34 am

I'm pretty certain it's the nervous flying course. Like ^^^ says.

CrazyHorse

Sun Nov 13, 2005 1:36 am

Maybe Airbus is trying to strike back against Boeings new world record flight. Wink

LeonB1985

Sun Nov 13, 2005 1:40 am

Nice to see the nervous flyers made it down safely again  Wink

16:20 BA9216C HEATHROW LANDED 1624 Terminal One
From the construction site that is better-known as London Heathrow Airport

SE210Caravelle

Sun Nov 13, 2005 1:45 am

Quoting CrazyHorse (Reply 3):
Maybe Airbus is trying to strike back against Boeings new world record flight.

rotfl   rotfl 

Funny,

S E 2 1 0

P.S. I have never heard of a Nervous Flyer Course. Would the airport operate those? What a/c are primarliy used (e.g. regional jets, A32X)? What's it like and how long are they?

trb10

Sun Nov 13, 2005 1:54 am

It will be the fear of flying course that I went on last year, I don't recommend it, it made me even more nervous!!

LGWspeedbird

Sun Nov 13, 2005 2:02 am

We had a fear of flying course at LGW a few months back. It was operated on one of our 737's. apparantly one of the participants ran off the plane once it had landed at LGW, poor person!
upcoming flights LHR-LAX-HNL-SFO-LHR

jamman

Sun Nov 13, 2005 2:03 am

Quoting SE210Caravelle (Reply 5):
P.S. I have never heard of a Nervous Flyer Course. Would the airport operate those? What a/c are primarliy used (e.g. regional jets, A32X)? What's it like and how long are they?

Its run by a company called Aviatours in cooperation with BA I think they usually use a A320 at a number of different airprots arcoss the UK.

Check the website...
http://www.aviatours.co.uk/

Quoting Trb10 (Reply 6):
I don't recommend it, it made me even more nervous.

I'm sorry to hear that  Smile I've seen them on the TV they look quite productive, what didn't work for you?
Phoning it in from a place with no phones.

Vasu

Sun Nov 13, 2005 2:03 am

Quoting SE210Caravelle (Reply 5):

I saw something about it on a really old episode of BBC's "Airport"... Basically they're run by BA, and begin with a lecture from the pilot, and a question and answer session etc...

then they take you out to the aircraft (it used to be a 757, but maybe its now changed to an airbus) for a short (20 mins?) flight from heathrow back to heathrow again!

trb10

Sun Nov 13, 2005 2:14 am

It will be the fear of flying course that I went on last year, I don't recommend it, it made me even more nervous!!

In answer to your question Caravelle, speaking about the BA course I went on, it lasted a whole day from 10 till about 6.

The first part of the course was a theory part where a capt talked about all aspects of flying, how a plane flies, what happens at various points during a flight, what turbulence is, what all the noises etc are. That part I found very fantastic and even now if I experience turbulence I think "tyres on cobbles" as we were told to compare it to!
Then a BA cabin crew member talked about their role on the aircraft, we also had a talk by ATC. Then we broke for lunch where capts, cabin crew etc mingled and answered any questions anyone had about flying. After lunch we had a psychologist talk about fears and phobias and tailored it to flying. Then we had a relaxation session with him and then we were bussed to T1 at LHR to board our aircraft which I think was a 757?? Can't really remember I know it wasnt a 737 as he said it was a bigger aircraft due to passenger no's. So most people got on, some were crying at the gate. Some got on and cried and got off, some cried and gripped seats. Cabin crew were FANTASTIC I have to say and were a credit to BA, if only they were all like that on every flight.

Anyway the captain who gave the talk in the morning is sat in the flight deck and talks throughout the whole flight about whats happening, what the captain is doing, noises etc. Psychologists and non working cabin crew are dotted amongst the passengers to reassure and help.

We taxied to the runway and fortunately ATC are very compassionate to this flight and we bypassed loads of waiting flights. We took off (which I still hate) and lots of girls screamed and cried. the bloke sat next to me completely flipped and was bouncing up and down and menacingly saying he wanted to get off! Freaked me out entirely.

We had the BA deli and we were made to get off our seats to get drinks from the galley to encourage people to get up and walk around and meet others etc. The flight was 45 mins and was pretty uneventful. The flight is also given priority landing and we never had to circle LHR just went straight down and in. Then you get off, get bussed back to the hotel and debrief and go home.

I recommended a friend to go on it which she did and they had hurrendous turbulence for the whole flight and people were screaming etc and it was a very unsuccessful course apparently.

I have to confess I haven't flown with BA since but am next year to Edinburgh from Bristol. I have been with Flybe however and they have been very good to me, let me see the capt before the flight and the cabin crew have also done their utmost to ensure I am happy. I can't say I'm cured but I have narrowed my fear just to take-off and turbulence, the rest of it I am quite happy with so I guess there has been some success!

Sorry if its so long but you did ask ;o)

Capital146

Sun Nov 13, 2005 4:21 am

As we get a little nearer to Christmas, expect a few more of these LHR-LHR flights, together with similar ones from other UK airports at weekends. These are the 'Santa Flights', where the big guy in red makes an appearance and hands out gifts to youngsters. They operate as a more affordable alternative to the popular charters to Rovaniemi and other parts of Finnish Lapland to see Santa.
Like a fine wine, one gets better with age.

bayareapilot

Sun Nov 13, 2005 5:39 am

They do this at one of the most congested airports in the world? Why can't they use LGW or STN?

trident3

Sun Nov 13, 2005 5:44 am

Quoting BayAreaPilot (Reply 12):
They do this at one of the most congested airports in the world? Why can't they use LGW or STN?

They do, fear of flying courses are held all around the country.
LHR does not have a capacity problem at weekends, as the frequency of domestic and european flights is much reduced. And you are only talking about one flight every three to six months.
"We are the warrior race-Tough men in the toughest sport." Brian Noble, Head Coach, Great Britain Rugby League.

BMED

Sun Nov 13, 2005 5:51 am

Quoting Jamman (Reply 8):
Its run by a company called Aviatours in cooperation with BA I think they usually use a A320 at a number of different airprots arcoss the UK.

Check the website...
http://www.aviatours.co.uk/

On their website it said that the next course was on the 12th of November.
Living the jetset life! No better way to be

faenum

Sun Nov 13, 2005 9:41 pm

LHR to LHR ? Yes I remember doing it in 1951  Smile
View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Mick West

justplanecrazy

Sun Nov 13, 2005 9:58 pm

my relative went on one of them,i cant remember what airport he flew from,but mid way through the flight they had turblence and some chap started screaming"we all going to die,we all going to die" it took a lot of professionalism from the crew to calm him.It was'ent the flight or turblence that worried my relative it was this chap over reacting.
your pilots today on this 747 flight are captain oliver hardy and assisting will be FO stan laurel.Have a safe flight

AirNZ

Sun Nov 13, 2005 10:48 pm

Virgin Atlantic also operate such flights/programmes from time to time (not sure of the frequency though). I accompanied two friends of mine on one and thought the idea was excellent in itself, and was pretty much similar to Trb10's experience.
Flown:F27/TU134/Viscount/Trident/BAC111/727/737/747/757/767/777/300/310/320/321/330/340/DC9/DC10/Dash8/Shorts330/BAe146

COSPN

Sun Nov 13, 2005 11:05 pm

Its a way to lock out CO from a LHR slot....

aussieindc

Sun Nov 13, 2005 11:15 pm

Quoting COSPN (Reply 18):
Its a way to lock out CO from a LHR slot....

You are kidding right??? One flight on a weekend every now and again. Man, forget those nervous flyers so that we can afford CO to operate a flight once in a blue moon into LHR, LGW (extra), MAN, BRS and the like.

rootsair

Sun Nov 13, 2005 11:27 pm

How much is it worth! I'd love to take one of those course big time! Never knew they would actually have you fly...i'd do it just for the sake of flying

mmmmmm Airplanes forever
A man without the knowledge of his past history,culture and origins is like a tree without roots

EZEIZA

Sun Nov 13, 2005 11:45 pm

Quoting RootsAir (Reply 20):
...i'd do it just for the sake of flying

me too! However I Don't think they have any of those in Argentina  Sad
Carp aunque ganes o pierdas ...

COSPN

Mon Nov 14, 2005 12:32 am

Yes AussieinDC.

Was just Kidding.....Hopefuly the Euro Union will give CO LHR access...soon  Smile

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos