Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

HAWK21M
Topic Author

Pax Reaction To Mx Work On Line

Sun Nov 13, 2005 6:22 pm

Whats the Pax reaction to Mx work carried out on Line during Transit.
What would you as Pax think if you seen a Wheel/Brake assy change/replacement in progress or Seen an Engine Cowling opened & a couple of folks under it.
I'd like to hear a Pax point of view.
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

FA4UA

RE: Pax Reaction To Mx Work On Line

Sun Nov 13, 2005 6:28 pm

As a flight attendant I see this situation all the time and I'd say about 99% of the time passengers don't say a word about it. Only if the CS or FO's make LOTS of announcements about MX do people start getting worried or question the situation.

In six years of flying I've only had one person get off a boarded aircraft because they were doing maintenance. She admitted being a nervous flyer and didn't want to sit through a rolling delay as they fixed some flaps.

FA4UA
The debate continues... Starwood or Hyatt... which is better

andz

Sun Nov 13, 2005 6:29 pm

I remember sitting in a window seat at LHR on an SA 744 while the MX crew worked on number 3 looking for a fuel leak. It took about an hour and the crew came on occasionally to give progress reports. The plane was packed and there was the usual hubbub before departure but no hysteria or anything like that. The Captain said "I apologise for the delay but I'm sure you wouldn't want us departing with a fuel leak!"
After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...

UAL Bagsmasher

Sun Nov 13, 2005 6:33 pm

I get worried looks occasionally when I come onboard a loaded flight to address a problem. Persoanlly, I'd be more worried if the problem WASN'T being looked at.

ReidYYZ

Sun Nov 13, 2005 6:41 pm

Do you really need to hear from a pax to know what they're thinking? It is a pretty sure bet, assuming they have no aircraft background or love of aviation in general, that that kind of thing freaks them out. I know you work in cargo,but I don't know if you've ever been in a pax situation. In case you have not: Once you open a cowling, you get nothing but the fishtank in the terminal with people pressed up against it to see what the $#@* is going on. Now if the a/c is grounded and a delay is called, well then that's when you get the video cameras going. If you're standing on the bridge after it gets fixed you get the smart-ass comments of "is it safe?" "Are you sure you fixed it?" "No seriously, what was really wrong with it?" I just tell them I'm a bag smasher and don't know any more info than they do.

HAWK21M
Topic Author

Sun Nov 13, 2005 6:56 pm

Quoting ReidYYZ (Reply 4):
I know you work in cargo,but I don't know if you've ever been in a pax situation.

I have.Hence needed to hear Pax opinions from around the world.Normally We avoid boarding until Rectification is completed but at times minor jobs are attended at Transit.
regds
MEL

CPH757

Sun Nov 13, 2005 8:15 pm

This summer I had a 2 hours delay on a KL 744 bound for HKG. The delay was announced while they started the boarding procedure, so all passengers were together in the small hall with perfect view to the aircraft.

One of the engine didn't spin, and there was a huge pond of some fluid beneath the aircraft. Well, this doesn't mean that anything is wrong, but different MX trucks/personel worked on the aircraft, and it was announced that there was a technical problem. After nearly 2 hours, they announced that either the technical problem would be fixed within 20 minutes, or the flight would be cancelled. They fixed it...

Very many passengers was nervous, as it seem liked they rushed through. I think the crew messed up, by calling it a technical problem, as it was misunderstood by the passengers.

On the flight I asked the crew what the problem was, and they told med that it was a water heater in the galley that didn't function!!!
Last flight: SAW-CPH on H9 on 02/11/09 - Next Flights: 23/12/09 CPH-AAL on QI, 30/12/09 CPH-LHR on SK, 19/01/10 CPH-CDG-

MD11Engineer

Sun Nov 13, 2005 8:32 pm

Quoting CPH757 (Reply 6):
One of the engine didn't spin

Why should a switched off engine spin on ground, unless there is some wind blowing into it to cause it to windmill?

And obviously, if you have a leak in the potable water system, you'll drain it before starting to disconnect pipes. Passengers!  sarcastic 

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

HAWK21M
Topic Author

Mon Nov 14, 2005 2:11 am

On the flight I asked the crew what the problem was, and they told med that it was a water heater in the galley that didn't function!!!

biggrin 

One of the engine didn't spin, and there was a huge pond of some fluid beneath the aircraft

If the problem was detected after boarding I'd say Air Starter quill shaft replacement.Def.
regds
MEL

AeroWesty

Mon Nov 14, 2005 2:18 am

Quoting HAWK21M (Thread starter):
Whats the Pax reaction to Mx work carried out on Line during Transit.

On a recent flight on Delta where they decided to seal up the APU and repair it later, no problem. TWA once held up departure for a flight I'd already boarded to finish changing a tire, again no problem.

On an Eastern flight eons ago where the mechanics banged and drilled (loudly) on the door of a rather new 757, a tad worrying, but I'd already taken a sleeping pill and slept through most of it.
International Homo of Mystery

charliecossie

Mon Nov 14, 2005 2:32 am

The delay was announced while they started the boarding procedure
[quote=CPH757,reply=6]and there was a huge pond of some fluid beneath the aircraft
[quote=CPH757,reply=6]and they told med that it was a water heater in the galley that didn't function!!!

[quote=HAWK21M]If the problem was detected after boarding I'd say Air Starter quill shaft replacement.Def.

How'd ya work that out, Sherlock?

jamesbuk

Mon Nov 14, 2005 2:55 am

i had a 6 hour delay 2 years ago because of a birdstrike on an md80 and my family were like o for goods sake and im just saying would you want to fly a 2 engines aircraft on 1 engine no so just chill out and thats my theory if there fixing something its only to benifit the lives of others so let them get on with there work quit complaining and get a coffee or whatever
You cant have your cake and eat it... What the hells the point in having it then!!!

HAWK21M
Topic Author

Mon Nov 14, 2005 1:47 pm

Quoting Charliecossie (Reply 10):
How'd ya work that out, Sherlock

Just one of the many reasons Watson  Smile considering the data available.Although there could be others causes too.

regds
MEL

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos