Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

nkops
Topic Author

Longest Operating Carrier Within A Carrier..

Tue Nov 15, 2005 12:20 am

With DL folding Song back into their mainline ops... it got me thinking which carrier within a carrier has lasted the longest. My guess for shortest was probably CalLite.... anyone know the longest???
Turn left heading 080 contact departure

charliecossie

RE: Longest Operating Carrier Within A Carrier..

Tue Nov 15, 2005 12:54 am

BEA, BOAC and BCal still operate within BA........

BCAL

Tue Nov 15, 2005 1:14 am

Quoting Charliecossie (Reply 1):
BEA, BOAC and BCal still operate within BA........

I beg to differ. BEA and BOAC operated as separate entities for the first 12-18 months when the two were merged to form BA. Generally short-haul was BEA's domain and long-haul was BOAC's domain, but eventually the two airlines became one. BCal was fully integrated into BA's network on their murder, sorry, merger - the Golden Lion Tails and Tartan uniforms did briefly survive as BA's charter subsidiary that was called Caledonian Airways but was taken over by Carlson and then Thomas Cook and renamed JMC and eventually Thomas Cook Airlines.
MOL on SRB's latest attack at BA: "It's like a little Chihuahua barking at a dying Labrador. Nobody cares."

commavia

Tue Nov 15, 2005 1:21 am

While I'm not positive, I think that -- at least in the U.S. -- the distinction would go to Delta Express, which was around from 1996 through 2003, seven years. Shuttle by United and USAirways MetroJet are right up there, though. All of them launched and folded within about a year of each other, IIRC.

charliecossie

Tue Nov 15, 2005 1:26 am

Bloody hell, it was a joke!

But not entirely.
I joined BCal in 1984. BCal still lives at Gatwick.
If you were able to visit the Techs at LHR, you would see that BEA and BOAC are still very much alive.
LHR and LGW (and Frankfurt , actually) are full of Wenwees.
"Pull up a sandbag. When we was BCal/BEA/BOAC, we did it like this...."

I still work for the murderers.

rossbaku

Tue Nov 15, 2005 1:30 am

BMED are also still operating under BA. Don't know how long for though. I think it is around the 10 year mark, although correct me if I'm wrong.

RossBaku  Silly

sudden

Tue Nov 15, 2005 1:31 am

Quoting Charliecossie (Reply 4):
Bloody hell, it was a joke!

rotfl   rotfl   rotfl   rotfl   rotfl   rotfl   rotfl   rotfl 

Aim for the sky!
Sudden
When in doubt, flat out!

BCAL

Tue Nov 15, 2005 2:24 am

BCal still lives at Gatwick.
If you were able to visit the Techs at LHR, you would see that BEA and BOAC are still very much alive.
LHR and LGW (and Frankfurt , actually) are full of Wenwees.

Even though the mergers were almost 20-30 years ago, I have seen and experienced the Spirits of BEA/BOAC/BCal living on within BA. At LGW, it seems that the BA staff are somewhat friendlier, more experienced, and more helpful than their counterparts at LHR are. Perhaps this is because the Spirit of BCal is living on. BCal always tried harder than BA and 'never forgot that their passengers had a choice' so this is reflected in the Gatwick staff.

BOAC staff always felt superior to their counterparts at BEA. Perhaps this was because there was, in the glory days, an added glamour about long haul flying and being away for several days from base, compared with Back Every Afternoon for the BEA staff, who were normally considered Union-led revolutionaries!

Trouble is that today the number of staff who trained with BOAC/BEA/BCal are now being outnumbered by the pure BA staff, so the 'Wenwees' are disappearing. Nevertheless, it is great when you know the BA staff is one of the old boys/girls - the highlight for me was that the flight deck crew on my BA flight to Hong Kong comprised two former BCal pilots, and the Chief Purser was a former Caledonian Girl!
MOL on SRB's latest attack at BA: "It's like a little Chihuahua barking at a dying Labrador. Nobody cares."

YYZatcboy

Tue Nov 15, 2005 3:01 am

KLM City Hopper?

I repeat,

KLM City Hopper?
DH1/3/4 MD11/88 L1011 A319/20/21/30/50/80 717 727 735/6/7/8/9 744 762/3 77E/W 788/789 E40/75/90 CRJ/700/705 CC150
J/S DH8D 736/7/8 763

nkops
Topic Author

Tue Nov 15, 2005 3:19 am

I should have added the shortest also... I stick with CalLite, but could be wrong!!
Turn left heading 080 contact departure

legendDC9

Tue Nov 15, 2005 4:53 am

Not sure if this fits the topic percisly but is the one in the pacific NW. Started in 1981, Horizon Air QX was launched as a feeder carrier for Alaska in Seattle under the Alaska Air group. Even though they are not within AS, they are under the same corporate umbrella and have been going strong for 24 years.

TWA902fly

Tue Nov 15, 2005 5:54 am

Continental Micronesia?

'902
life wasn't worth the balance, or the crumpled paper it was written on

vv701

Tue Nov 15, 2005 6:16 am

Quoting Rossbaku (Reply 5):
BMED are also still operating under BA. Don't know how long for though. I think it is around the 10 year mark

It started on 30 March 1997.

Loganair operated the former BA Highland and Islands routes from GLA and became BA's first franchise partner in July 1994.

Next was the similar arrangement with GB Airways that started in February 1995 although the connection goes back to 1947 when (as Gibair, founded in 1931 by shipping company MH Bland) BEA (merged operationally into BA in September 1973) bought a 51 per cent interest that was sold back to the Bland Group in 1995.

Sun-Air (founded in 1978 by Niels Sundberg who died recently) came to a similar arrangement with BA on 1 August 1996 as did Comair - the South African one - a few months later in October.

MarshalN

Tue Nov 15, 2005 6:33 am

Yeah, Continental Micronesia comes to mind, although technically, they're a separate entity with the same brand?

roseflyer

Tue Nov 15, 2005 6:45 am

Quoting TWA902fly (Reply 11):
Continental Micronesia

I was thinking about and agree with you about Continental Micronesia. They have been around for years, and seem to still be doing strong as they fill a certain niche (since travelers between US territories and the rest of the country may only travel on a US airline). Air Micronesia was founded in 1968 and continues to operate under Continental Airlines.
If you have never designed an airplane part before, let the real designers do the work!

wrighbrothers

Tue Nov 15, 2005 6:49 am

Quoting BCAL (Reply 7):
Even though the mergers were almost 20-30 years ago, I have seen and experienced the Spirits of BEA/BOAC/BCal living on within BA. At LGW, it seems that the BA staff

There are still lots of BOAC/BEA personell at LHR, Although they are mainly in engineeering or are pilots. The reason why there are so many old boys/girls at LGW, is because they are mainly ex BCAL staff.

Quoting BCAL (Reply 7):
Trouble is that today the number of staff who trained with BOAC/BEA/BCal are now being outnumbered by the pure BA staff,

Well, yes, anyone who's been with the airlines 30- years, are all pure BA, So yes the numbers are starting to slip.

Yep, although they are mainly in management.

Wrighbrothers
Always stand up for what is right, even if it means standing alone..

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos