Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ETStar
Topic Author

British Airways Sued In Nigeria For Defamation

Fri Nov 18, 2005 4:02 am

A Nigerian senator has sued British Airways for defamation following BA's refusal to honour the return leg of a ticket he had purchased in Abuja, and being left with no option but to pay £5240 for a one-way ticket. BA, according to the article below, is trying to settle out of court.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/articles/2002/north/nt117112005.html

CHRISBA777ER

RE: British Airways Sued In Nigeria For Defamation

Fri Nov 18, 2005 4:58 am

So the ticket was void.

Whats the problem? If its void then he was indeed attempting to travel on a void tricket as D'Mello says.

Another Bulls*it lawsuit. I hope he loses. Interesting that he got Nigerian jurisdiction - the t&c on the ticket provide for UK hearing, although the query does not relate to the ticketing directly.

One would have thought a British court would have been more fair?

Perhaps thats not the idea.
What do you mean you dont have any bourbon? Do you know how far it is to Houston? What kind of airline is this???

ETStar
Topic Author

Fri Nov 18, 2005 5:36 am

Chris, how about the possibility that the error was made on BA's end, and not on the customer's end? What made the ticket void? He had used the initial part of the ticket on ABV-LHR already, it was the second half that was 'void'. Why was it void? We shall find out I guess... and may the correct party win.

soups

Fri Nov 18, 2005 5:44 am

Quoting ETStar (Reply 2):
What made the ticket void?

I believe the passengers changed his date on a restricted ticket. the ticket type maybe doens't allow changes.
As the passenger has a high ranking, bribing the judge to win the case in very likely in western Africa. i am surprised he didn't out it forward in a UK court
Next destinations, Suarabaya, beirut, paris, Accra

CHRISBA777ER

Fri Nov 18, 2005 5:55 am

Quoting Soups (Reply 3):
Quoting ETStar (Reply 2):
What made the ticket void?

I believe the passengers changed his date on a restricted ticket. the ticket type maybe doens't allow changes.
As the passenger has a high ranking, bribing the judge to win the case in very likely in western Africa. i am surprised he didn't out it forward in a UK court

LOL I couldnt say that as I would have been called racist.

That was my understanding of it yeah.
What do you mean you dont have any bourbon? Do you know how far it is to Houston? What kind of airline is this???

LH459

Fri Nov 18, 2005 6:01 am

Something is definitely fishy here. The article states that the ticket was voided by an agency with a different IATA number than the issuer. I don't know about overseas, but here in the US only the issuing agency can void a ticket. Furthermore, e-tickets can't be voided after the first coupon has been flown! Very strange.
"I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is temporary; the evil it does is permanent" - Ghandi

teva

Fri Nov 18, 2005 6:06 am

And since when is it impossible to modify a First class ticket on international flt?
Teva
Ecoute les orgues, Elles jouent pour toi...C'est le requiem pour un con

prebennorholm

Fri Nov 18, 2005 6:32 am

A pretty crappy article in Vanguard. Not one single word makes it possible for the reader to assume if the ticket was rightly void or not. And that is after all the whole issue.

What the article does say is that according to General Mark's oppinion BA had a real jerk at their service desk that 4th July.

When a ticket is void, then it is void for some clear reason.

The fact that BA is pleading for an out of court settlement could indicate that they don't have a clean nose in this case.

But with no indications about why a ticket should be void - fraud, BA computer failure, or whatever - the whole article is crap.
Always keep your number of landings equal to your number of take-offs

abrelosojos

Fri Nov 18, 2005 6:42 am

Quoting Prebennorholm (Reply 7):
The fact that BA is pleading for an out of court settlement could indicate that they don't have a clean nose in this case.

= Yup. This makes me think BA definitely has got something to hide ..

-A.
Live, and let live.

charliecossie

Fri Nov 18, 2005 7:02 am

Readers should note that ticket fraud in Nigeria is big business.
I see some things in the article that may be telling.....

"This ticket is showing VOID in the system by agency IATA 5929162"
Personally, I read this as agency 5929162 had voided this ticket. Mr Mark bought said void ticket from agency 59-203196, suggesting ticket fraud.
Allegedly.

"other passengers who indeed saw the said inscription on my ticket"
What inscription did they see? "VOID"?

"I had to give Mr D’ Mello another un-utilised British Airways ticket (London–Abuja) to verify from his system. He ran a perfunctory check on his system and responded to the hearing of the said gathered personages as follows: 'You have already utilized the ticket since April’."
Mr Mark just happened to have another "unused" ticket in his pocket?
Hehehe, yeah sure.
Allegedly.

"I was compelled by the airline’s officials to buy another first class British Airways ticket at a total cost of five thousand, two hundred and forty two pounds, ten shillings to enable me board the same flight to Abuja,” he added."
BA forced him to buy a First Class ticket? He just happened to have five grand handy. Or a platinum Amex card. I wonder why he didn't buy a J or Y ticket to keep his costs down?

"total cost of five thousand, two hundred and forty two pounds, ten shillings"
Ten shillings?
Britain hasn't used Shillings since 1970.

rdwootty

Fri Nov 18, 2005 7:19 am

As a non IATA agency i frequently receive emails from "western Africa" asking me to book all sorts of people from there to all sorts of places using a credit card number!! It may be that the outward journey was taken before it was found out??As for knowing the Judge then in any ordinary court this would be barred!! I SUPPOSE not over there.

BAxMAN

Fri Nov 18, 2005 7:31 am

Jolly good article. I never realised that some of my colleagues in LHR were so eloquent, as the Vanguard would seem to suggest. Good job, guys. I can't wait to get back to work and check out the comments in that PNR.

I'm sure there must be some discrepancies in that article. It is very shoddy. The guy at the ticket desk wouldn't tell him his ticket was void without good reason and there would be no reason why BA would tinker with the e-ticket. The unfortunate truth is that there are a lot of cowboy travel agencies in Nigeria and many tickets from Nigeria are purchased by fraudulent means. It is not uncommon for a ticket to be cancelled mid-travel when somebody receives their credit card bill and sees that it has been used to buy a shed load of plane tickets without the card holder's knowledge. Maybe General Mark has been a victim of an over cautious attempt to prevent fraud? Whatever the truth, I doubt BA would trust a Nigerian court when the plaintiff appears to have friends in high places, especially when he is claiming over £1.1 million! Greedy bugger.

Quoting Charliecossie (Reply 9):
"I had to give Mr D’ Mello another un-utilised British Airways ticket (London–Abuja) to verify from his system. He ran a perfunctory check on his system and responded to the hearing of the said gathered personages as follows: 'You have already utilized the ticket since April’."
Hehehe, yeah sure.
Allegedly.

You'd be surprised. You really cannot judge a book by its cover. There are lots of Nigerian bound passengers who have got various unused e-ticket coupons, often full F fares no less, floating around the system which we poor old staff have to hunt for so that said passenger can travel on a valid ticket.
Mild green Fairy liquid

Dougloid

Fri Nov 18, 2005 7:41 am

Quoting BAxMAN (Reply 11):
Jolly good article. I never realised that some of my colleagues in LHR were so eloquent, as the Vanguard would seem to suggest. Good job, guys. I can't wait to get back to work and check out the comments in that PNR.

I'm sure there must be some discrepancies in that article. It is very shoddy. The guy at the ticket desk wouldn't tell him his ticket was void without good reason and there would be no reason why BA would tinker with the e-ticket. The unfortunate truth is that there are a lot of cowboy travel agencies in Nigeria and many tickets from Nigeria are purchased by fraudulent means. It is not uncommon for a ticket to be cancelled mid-travel when somebody receives their credit card bill and sees that it has been used to buy a shed load of plane tickets without the card holder's knowledge. Maybe General Mark has been a victim of an over cautious attempt to prevent fraud? Whatever the truth, I doubt BA would trust a Nigerian court when the plaintiff appears to have friends in high places, especially when he is claiming over £1.1 million! Greedy bugger.

Hehehe, yeah sure.
Allegedly.

You'd be surprised. You really cannot judge a book by its cover. There are lots of Nigerian bound passengers who have got various unused e-ticket coupons, often full F fares no less, floating around the system which we poor old staff have to hunt for so that said passenger can travel on a valid ticket.

I don't see why anyone would think there was a problem with an airplane ticket purchased in Nigeria. Why, the country and its citizens are a model of probity and the found of endless opportunities. Every day I get news in my email about the wonderful business opportunities that are available to anyone with an email account and the number of dead relatives I have who were killed in car crashes in Nigeria and left huge pots of money for me.
Now...all I gotta do is scrape up the front money and send it to that post office box in Lagos and I'm set for life. Maybe I'll take my dough and go hang out in Rhodes-oops! I meant Zimbabwe there to enjoy all the new and interesting ways the government has developed to define private property.

Hehehe.
If you believe in coincidence, you haven't looked close enough-Joe Leaphorn

trekster

Fri Nov 18, 2005 7:56 am

Quoting BAxMAN (Reply 11):
There are lots of Nigerian bound passengers who have got various unused e-ticket coupons, often full F fares no less, floating around the system which we poor old staff have to hunt for so that said passenger can travel on a valid ticket.

I hear ya mate. Though i do seem to find this with some UK based pax as well, so cant judge a book by its cover as they say.
Where does the time go???

TinkerBelle

Fri Nov 18, 2005 7:59 am

Quoting Soups (Reply 3):

I doubt that is the case here. If that was teh case, the ticket wouldn't have been 'void' and BA would just have told him that, end of story. It's also a first class ticket for a high ranking official so I highly doubt retsrictions had much to do with it.

"total cost of five thousand, two hundred and forty two pounds, ten shillings"
Ten shillings?
Britain hasn't used Shillings since 1970.

That tells you enough about the source here if thay cannot even get the damn currencies right.

'Mr D' Mello then held up the said ticket derisively for all and sundry to see, including Senator Ogbeha, Senator Afikuyomi, Ms Ann Bresnahan, Alhaji Kure and other passengers who indeed saw the said inscription on my ticket.'

WHAT INSCRIPTION???????????? If it's 'void', what's the problem then?

Like someone earlier mention, there's definitely more to the story otherwise BA wouldn't be trying to settle out of court. For Gods sake, we're talking about a ticket bought in Nigeria so I can understand this D'mello guy.
If you are going through hell, keep going.

art

Fri Nov 18, 2005 8:10 am

I am not a lawyer but I think BA has a problem if this is verbatim:

'look here, this Nigerian, you are presenting to me a ticket that you very well know is void...'

However, the expression "this Nigerian" strikes me as not being normal English usage. If the airline’s desk officer, Mr Neville D’ Mello speaks normal idiomatic UK English, such phrasing would be bizarre. If such usage is prevalent - " look here, this whatever..." - in Nigeria, I start to wonder at the accuracy of what was alleged to have been said.

charliecossie

Fri Nov 18, 2005 8:39 am

BAxMAN:
Please note my use of inverted commas around unused when, allegedly, it was a previously used ticket.
 Smile

prebennorholm

Fri Nov 18, 2005 9:11 am

Quoting Rdwootty (Reply 10):
"other passengers who indeed saw the said inscription on my ticket"
What inscription did they see? "VOID"?

This sounds very strange to me. To my knowledge an e-ticket is bits on an airliner computer hard disk and a paper sheet which you print yourself - in as many copies as you want. That's at least the case when I fly on e-tickets.

How do you print an e-ticket with the text "VOID"?

Normally I copy my computer screen into Word and print it on a color printer after deleting irrelevant trailers and such - easier to read than the text format email. But in any case the customer can produce any editing he wants.

Schillings !!!

No, I don't believe in General Mark's version. But why does BA aim for an out of court settlement? Could it be so bad that BA assumes the Nigerian justice system to be so currupt that they don't dare to risk an ordinary trial?

The article says that General Mark bought the e-ticket at an IATA agency, presumably in Nigeria. Could that agency have canceled the ticket afterwards, put the money in their own pocket, and left General Mark in a tough spot?

I learned here on this thread that BA ticket fraud is a big issue when talking about more exotic destinations. I'm glad that life is easier in my region of the world.

Some years back - before e-tickets - I was out of the office, but suddenly got called away to clear an emergency situation. On the way to the airport I called the company travel assistant to have him book my ticket, and told him that I would pay it with my credit card. He called back a few minutes later and told me that everything was in good order and I should not pay the ticket since it would be invoiced to the company. No booking number, no nothing.

I had my doubts, but in any case I had my company credit card.

In the airport I went up to the airline office counter and said: "Hello, my name is Norholm".

And the responce was: "Hello Mr. Norholm, we have been expecting you, here is your ticket and your boarding pass, your plane leaves in twenty minutes from gate XX, have a pleasant trip". Game over!
Always keep your number of landings equal to your number of take-offs

AEROFAN

Fri Nov 18, 2005 10:27 am

like all the posters - this is one fishy story.

how could anyone hold up an e-tkt? was the cpn printed to paper?who voided the ticket. i don't seem to be able to get a hang of who did that. did one agcy book the rsvns and then had another agcy issue the tkt? and how come the pax just happen to have another tkt on him.

but u know they always say there are 3 sides to every coin.

can anyone from ba shed any ligh?
“You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.” ~Harlan Ellison~

trekster

Fri Nov 18, 2005 5:05 pm

Quoting Aerofan (Reply 18):
and how come the pax just happen to have another tkt on him.

Alot of people have a rtn portion of another etckt in the system. Just ne ways of a rtn protion. U just make a new booking with te tckt number so thats not strange. More from that area of the world, but get a few from the UK as well.
I dont understandwhy the paper has printed the name of the poor guy at te tckt desk, and his full name at that, i dotn think thats right.

Also the wording. NO ONE int e uk would say:

Quoting Art (Reply 15):
'look here, this Nigerian, you are presenting to me a ticket that you very well know is void

Will be interested to see what happens with this

HS748

Fri Nov 18, 2005 5:43 pm

Quoting ETStar (Thread starter):
and being left with no option but to pay £5240 for a one-way ticket.

You can buy a first class fully flexible one-way ticket from LHR to ABV for travel tomorrow for £3870. Conclude for yourself the accuracy of this article!

Sultan

Sat Nov 19, 2005 8:17 am

It's so unfortunate that nobody here believes that anything good could come out of Nigeria.
Someone has an issue wt BA, sues BA, and you guys go...

1. He knows he's gonna win 'cos he's gonna bribe the judge

2. BA wants out of court settlement 'cos they dont have confidence in the country's court system.

trekster

Sat Nov 19, 2005 8:31 am

Printed the news item out and took it into work. All had a laugh at it (sadly could not bring the Ticket number up lol)

I really dont know about this thing, Seems fishy. Why would he Ticket deks guy hold up a etckt (There all in the computer) and show them the void (thats on the pnr, so would not have really been able to be seen even if printed by the whole host of people that the guy says)

And who on earth,even if english aint there first language goes:

Quoting Art (Reply 15):
'look here, this Nigerian

Im very shocked that the guys (The ticket desk gentleman) full name has been pritned, did he say it could be????

BAxMAN

Sat Nov 19, 2005 9:07 am

Quoting Trekster (Reply 22):
Printed the news item out and took it into work. All had a laugh at it (sadly could not bring the Ticket number up lol)

Damn.

That was the only thing I was looking forward to on Sunday. Did you try checking out whether this guy has an Exec Card profile?
Mild green Fairy liquid

Qantas744er

Sat Nov 19, 2005 9:13 am

Quoting Sultan (Reply 21):
2. BA wants out of court settlement 'cos they dont have confidence in the country's court system.

Who would have confidence and believe in justice, with a court in Nigeria......?

Cheers leo
You live and you die, by the FMA

steve6666

Sat Nov 19, 2005 10:09 am

"That being a Nigerian, I had a peculiar propensity for fraud and deception."

Seems to me that a defence of fair comment would be the way to go...

More to the point, just don't pay any damages! What would the kangaroo court do anyway? The judge probably belongs to one of the 708,522 different tribes from President Dodgybanjo's (or anyone with the authority to make BA's life hard), and ergo has very little leverage in the matter.

Quoting Sultan (Reply 21):
It's so unfortunate that nobody here believes that anything good could come out of Nigeria.

Rubbish. The country has plenty of oil.
A306, A318, A319, A320, A321, A332, A333, A343, A346, A388, B722, B732, B733, B734, B735, B73G, B738, B742, B744, B752, B753, B762, B763, B764, B772, B773, B77W, B787-8, BAe-146, Cessna Something, DC-10, E175, E195, ERJ145, MD-11, MD-80, PA Something

lutfi

Sat Nov 19, 2005 2:29 pm

And footballers. Nigeria has good footballers. So, both good oil and good footballers come out of Nigeria

stirling

Sat Nov 19, 2005 2:44 pm

Quoting Steve6666 (Reply 25):
Rubbish. The country has plenty of oil.

Quoting Lutfi (Reply 26):
And footballers. Nigeria has good footballers. So, both good oil and good footballers come out of Nigeria

And dead people laying atop mountains of cash.
Delete this User

aswissinmad

Sat Nov 19, 2005 10:46 pm

At my airline, it's very easy to issue an ETKT, and then "void" it. And I think It's the same for any airline and travel agents.
Just issue an ETKT, give the receipt to the pax, and then just void it.

Considering our fraud cases here at MAD involve 100% of the time Nigerians and Nigerian travel agencies, I'm not surprised about the whole story. And how many times have I heard these frauders call themselves "His Majesty the High Minister of Blahblahah", just before threatening you of the worst punishment for your insolence... But just as you ask them if they want you to call the police so they can make a complaint, they run away in panic.....

Sultan

Sun Nov 20, 2005 1:44 am

Quoting Qantas744ER (Reply 24):
Who would have confidence and believe in justice, with a court in Nigeria......?

Any good reason for this opinion?

dallasnewark

Sun Nov 20, 2005 1:55 am

Quoting Sultan (Reply 29):
Any good reason for this opinion?

The country is corrupt top to botom, no justice there
B732/3/4/5/6/7/8/9, B742/4, B752/3,B762/3/4, B772/3, A306, A318/9/20/21, A332/3, A343/6, MD80/83/88, L1011, TU104/134, F

Sultan

Sun Nov 20, 2005 2:19 am

Quoting Dallasnewark (Reply 30):
The country is corrupt top to botom, no justice there

I asked for a reason and i think the above is really not one.
This shows that you dont even have a clue about what's going on in Nigeria and that you base opinion(s) on the negative news and pics coming from CNN and the like.
Corruption is very subjective each country has its own portion. (every country).
This is not a defence of nigeria, but my opinions are based on first hand experience and a near complete understanding of the people having lived and worked in nigeria oil industry (with an open mind) for 2yrs.
Nigeria has lots of problems. The most serious been the bad economy caused be the HIGH PROFILE corruption facilitated by the west and the western banks with all their double standards on money laundering and the like.

Sultan

Sun Nov 20, 2005 2:24 am

The story of nigeria is a very sad one, but I tell you guys, the situation there is no way near as bad as you guy think it is.

dallasnewark

Sun Nov 20, 2005 2:38 am

Quoting Sultan (Reply 31):
corruption facilitated by the west and the western banks with all their double standards on money laundering and the like.

Blaming the west for their misfortunes, instead of acknowledging and learning from their mistake, so true about any 3rd world country.

I do have an open mind, but lets be realistic here.

I'm sure it has its good points and the people of Nigeria cannot be blamed for their misfortunes, but with the amounts of money the country makes for oil, the life of the common man can be improved, and there's noone but Nigerian govt to blame here
B732/3/4/5/6/7/8/9, B742/4, B752/3,B762/3/4, B772/3, A306, A318/9/20/21, A332/3, A343/6, MD80/83/88, L1011, TU104/134, F

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos