Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

JasYHZ
Topic Author

3 Cabin Aircraft On A 2 Cabin Route?

Mon Nov 21, 2005 12:00 pm

Hi All,

Tomorrow I will be booked on AA1378 MIA-JFK on 04FEB06. AA's website shows it as a 762 which according to the seating charts is a F, J and Y class aircraft. But when I ask for available seats is shows that only F and Y are sold.
Question is: When I check in for my flight, is there a possibility of asking for a seat in the J cabin? Or will this be EXCLUSIVELY for AAdvantage Shiny Sparkly members or "I paid WAY to much for my ticket" (i.e. full fare Y) ticket holders?

Thanks, JasYHZ
"That's it! You just made the list!"

Carpethead

RE: 3 Cabin Aircraft On A 2 Cabin Route?

Mon Nov 21, 2005 12:06 pm

Happens all the time around the world when aircraft are flown for positioning or in between their main flights.

Here in Japan, an int'l configured 3-class 744s are flown between NRT-ITM and all seats are sold as economy. Granted the flight time is only around one hour but nice to sit in a first-class seat.

MarshalN

Mon Nov 21, 2005 12:10 pm

I'm sure they can fill the seats up with elite flyers -- that's what I'd do if I were in charge. Why give it to people who might fly you twice a year if you can make a customer who flies 50 times a year happy?

soundsfishy

Mon Nov 21, 2005 12:12 pm

Quoting JasYHZ (Thread starter):
Question is: When I check in for my flight, is there a possibility of asking for a seat in the J cabin? Or will this be EXCLUSIVELY for AAdvantage Shiny Sparkly members or "I paid WAY to much for my ticket" (i.e. full fare Y) ticket holders?

JasYHZ you should definitely try for a seat in rows 7-11 (or 17 H/J, which is a crew rest position), but you're right, the seats may be reserved for AAdvantage EXP, Platinum, or Gold travelers, or full-fare coach as you mentioned.

Trolley Dolley

Mon Nov 21, 2005 12:17 pm

The best I've experienced was on QF when it withdrew F class from the AKL-LAX route. I flew quite a few times across the pacific in an business class seat, with economy service. Very nice! A few lucky ones in J also enjoyed a sleeper bed instead of a seat.

JasYHZ
Topic Author

Mon Nov 21, 2005 12:44 pm

Quoting MarshalN (Reply 2):
I'm sure they can fill the seats up with elite flyers -- that's what I'd do if I were in charge. Why give it to people who might fly you twice a year if you can make a customer who flies 50 times a year happy?

I actually fly at least once a month for business and leisure. But being from Canada we normally only have two class (J&Y) aircraft.

Flying in the US where there are still some 3 cabin aircraft around is a different experience for me. And in my business we have our regular customers who most of the time don't deserve an upgrade but demand one. Someone who I may see only once or twice a year I offer one to them because it makes the trip/vacation all the more special.

willyj

Mon Nov 21, 2005 1:22 pm

American only lets elite and full fare passengers reserve the seats in business in advance. However, you can request a seat in business at the airport the day of the flight. Most travelers won't know the plane is 3 class, so hopefully there won't be too many elites flying that day, and you'll get one of the seats...

flykal

Mon Nov 21, 2005 5:15 pm

Happens on certain sectors for KE also, for example ICN-BKK when the B744 is operating - a 3 class aircraft, but this flight is a 2 class config. So, the upper deck business class seats are sold as economy. Of course, they are not freely available as you need to be a high mileage passenger to get them, or of course, connected!
One doesn't discover new lands without consenting to lose sight of the shore for a very long time

aswissinmad

Mon Nov 21, 2005 6:54 pm

Happens on LX too, with the morning ZRH-TLV operated by a 343 ... F-cl seats are given to J-cl LX Circle members and Travelclub Gold only though and are not marketed.

mats

Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:50 pm

The reverse is also true: selling 3 cabins on a 2 cabin aircraft.

I recently flew from Stockholm/Arlanda to Atlanta via Paris/Charles de Gaulle. My ticket, purchased through Delta, was sold in "F" (First) for every segment. The problem was that the ARN-CDG flight was an A319 with only "C" and "Y" cabins.

The computer systems didn't quite get the information correctly, so I was issued a "Y" boarding card from Stockholm to Paris. I ended up calling Atlanta from the airport and having the Delta agent explain everything to Air France.

I've flown on other flights with similar oddities. On a United flight from Chicago to Sydney via Los Angeles, the ORD-LAX segment was on a 2 cabin 757. But since the continuation was on a 747-400, United sold "F," "C," and "Y" seats. Naturally, one could not BUY a "C" seat just from Chicago to Los Angeles, but seats were sold to passengers in a cabin that did not exist... not that they had any right to complain, "C" class passengers flew in domestic first.

Venezuela747

Tue Nov 22, 2005 1:29 am

Jas,

As Willy said only elite or pasengers who pay full fare can get a J class seat. Your only option will be to request one during check in. I believe you can only doing by checking in with a person (online or easy check in will not let you pick one)......also don't be like "I want a seat in Business class", look at seatguru and figure out which rows are J class and then when you get to the agent and like u don't know much about anything but if you could get a seat in rows # to #.

Cahnces are you should get one, it has always worked anyone in my family has tried it there are always plenty of spaces (checking i early would be good idea too)
ROLL TIDE!!!

B747-4U3

Tue Nov 22, 2005 4:46 am

I think Korean's flight to Atlanta are 3 cabin but sold as 2. Also AA's flight to Newcastle has 2 cabins but it is sold as economy only.

brokenrecord

Tue Nov 22, 2005 4:54 am

On US A333's, row 1 used to be F class, but is now sold as J. However, one must usually be a Chairman's Preferred, paid full J fare, or both to get one of them.

JasYHZ
Topic Author

Wed Nov 23, 2005 12:28 pm

Quoting Venezuela747 (Reply 10):
also don't be like "I want a seat in Business class", look at seatguru and figure out which rows are J class and then when you get to the agent and like u don't know much about anything but if you could get a seat in rows # to #.

Oh don't worry. I've been in this industry long enough to know that statement will get me next to the rear lavs! I'll just politely ask for something as far to the front as possible....or......

Quoting Flykal (Reply 7):
Of course, they are not freely available as you need to be a high mileage passenger to get them, or of course, connected!

Connected is my ace up my sleeve here. We'll have to see what happens in the next few weeks....

JasYHZ
Topic Author

Wed Nov 23, 2005 12:37 pm

And I'm now confirmed for all my flights, including AA1378. We'll just have to wait and see what happens.

I've never flown AA before...looking forward to the experience.....

airlineaddict

Wed Nov 23, 2005 12:45 pm

I will be flying on PR from HKG to MNL. Flight is being sold as 2-class only, but the type of aircraft they are using is 3-class only. I paid for Business Class... we'll see if we get bumped up to First Class...

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos