Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

txagkuwait

RE: UA To Start New RJ Focus City

Tue Nov 29, 2005 11:14 pm

I will join those who question whether there is enough traffic to warrant nonstops. Low fares will stimulate demand where demand is low, but it's tough to price flights low enough when you are flying equipment which is not economical in terms of CASM.

Here are the DOT #s for those markets:

ABQ-SAT avg 147 psgrs per day at an avg fare of $164. It is 609 miles and WN has a 67% mkt share.

COS-SAT avg 72 psgrs per day at an avg far eof $196. It is 732 miles and AA is the lgst carrier in the mkt with a 45.4% share.

MCI-SAT avg 252 psgrs per day at an avg fare of $156. YX is the leading carrier for this 706 mile trip at an avg fare of $156.

MSY-SAT avg 218 psgrs per day at an average fare of $121. WN has 69% of this market and it is 495 miles.

OKC-SAT avg 148 psgrs per day at an average fare of $123. WN has 76% of the market and it is 407 miles.

OMA-SAT avg 87 psgrs per day with average fare $188. AA is leading carrier with 49.8% of market. Distance is 824 miles.

SAT-TUL avg 125 psgrs per day with average fare $113. WN is leading carrier with 75% market share. Distance is 483 miles.

Interesting fun facts from DOT report ---

More people fly SAT to BWI (398 per day) than fly to the other two DC airports combined (359).

More people fly SAT to OAK (119 per day) than to San Francisco (94)

Little Rock is a city with no nonstop svc from anyone yet it is larger than SAT-COS or SAT-OMA (105 psgrs/day)

MaverickM11

Wed Nov 30, 2005 12:50 am

Quoting UA744Flagship (Reply 149):
Sure, we believe you... you sure don't act like it with your relentless bashing.

You don't believe what, that I'm in the airline industry or that I've met Boyd? And when have I bashed anything other than Ted?
I don't take responsibility at all

uadc8contrail

Wed Nov 30, 2005 1:08 am

UA and US taking their sweet time in bankruptcy is probably doing more harm to the domestic aviation industry as a whole than would a Chapter 7 filing by one or both carriers. That and I don't believe UA can be fixed, just bandaided together until the next disaster.

From the archives maverick.....what is the "next disaster"as you are referring to???
Bus Driver

MaverickM11

Wed Nov 30, 2005 1:52 am

Quoting Uadc8contrail (Reply 152):
what is the "next disaster"as you are referring to???

If I knew, I'd be hired by UA and/or US. By "next disaster" I meant the next major challenge to the airline industry.

UA744Flagship

Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:01 am

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 153):
If I knew, I'd be hired by UA and/or US.

No you wouldn't; not with your attitude. In any case, this back and forth is not appropriate for this thread (I shouldn't have instigated, knowing that it is pointless to reason with UA bashers) and I won't post to this thread any further.
no wire hangers!

MaverickM11

Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:04 am

Quoting UA744Flagship (Reply 154):
I shouldn't have instigated, knowing that it is pointless to reason with UA bashers

Don't get mad because you can't take criticism of UA at all. Any criticism of your airline is "bashing" according to you. I'm not the biased one here (except when it comes to Ted but that's just retarded).

SHUPirate1

Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:39 am

UA744Flagship-I can only speak for myself, but I am not a United basher (in fact, I am a loyal United flier, usually flying United if I have to go to the West Coast on business, as where I live it is far easier to fly US Airways on east-coast/the south routings). What I am, however, is somebody who thinks that this San Antonio unfocused city is crazy. By all means, nothing would please me more than for me to be proven wrong, 50 passengers at a time. However, I have my doubts, which have been explained above.
Burma's constitutional referendum options: A. Yes, B. Go to Insein Prison!

COEWR

Wed Nov 30, 2005 5:02 am

Article

The above linked article has some good information about the new RJ hub. I think they have a valid idea here, but I do not see why they chose SAT. Seems like an odd choice to move into the backyard of 3 major carriers in the Texas market (AA, CO, WN). Why not pick a less populated airport where UA has more brand recognition? Just my two cents. I hope this works because this may be a good way to employ RJs and make some money with them.

-C

thecamel67

Wed Nov 30, 2005 5:28 am

Back on topic...

Since I grew up in SAT I am very happy to see the old hometown getting substantial new service but as with everyone else, I am very curious regarding the decision. I think what is being overlooked is the SBC/AT&T merger and its overall effect on SAT. This could be service a'la XNA and their service due to Wal-Mart. I would be interested to know AT&T/SBC's presence in the markets added and if AT&T has corporate contracts with United.

As mentioned, the west coast service is doing well primarily due to the connections and Toyota's new presence.

What I don't understand is there is not same day morning/evening service for the business traveler. Maybe that is to come. I wouldn't think that they are just parking RJ's as there are probably better places to do that. I would imagine there is a method to the madness...I hope. I would hate to see it come and disappear in the span of six months...for SAT's sake.

thecamel67

Wed Nov 30, 2005 5:37 am

On the article that everyone is linking to, lets not forget that The Boyd Group are the crazies that think the Wright Amendment has "outlived its purpose." Those guys can't be trusted!  Wink

MaverickM11

Wed Nov 30, 2005 7:19 am

Quoting Thecamel67 (Reply 159):
On the article that everyone is linking to, lets not forget that The Boyd Group are the crazies that think the Wright Amendment has "outlived its purpose."

Again, the Boyd group is one of the few voices of levelheaded reason in that cluster.

slcdeltarumd11

Mon Dec 12, 2005 7:47 pm

Quoting Tornado82 (Reply 131):
the Anti-RJ Gang here on A.net would absolutely freakout

LOL

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos