Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

JetMaster

RE: Dubai To Become Busiest Airport In The World

Tue Nov 29, 2005 10:36 pm

Quoting Sllevin (Reply 140):
Smaller aircraft like the A350 and the 787 are going to lead to more and more overflying of 'transit hubs.'

So you seriously expect to see PRG-CGK, GLA-KUL or GVA-HYD anytime soon?

More and more flights from India and China, for example, will go direct to their destination.

Just because DEL, BOM and MAA might get some new nonstops to some of the world's major hubs (JFK, ORD etc.) it will not happen for countless secondary international airports.

Quoting Sllevin (Reply 140):
Sure, there will be a number of flights that DO transit, but the assumption that DXB will become THE airport is trying to apply past history to future patterns.

What's going on at DXB is current history and EK's expansion plans give an idea about the future.

It's really amazing how many people talk about EK and DXB and the lack of future perspectives though apparently these people have never had a closer look at EK's network and EK's and DXB's development over the past years.

Quoting Sllevin (Reply 143):
Our example passenger travelling from Sapporo to Berlin changes from his A350 to an A319 in Frankfurt for the final leg.

Wow, ever changed planes at FRA? I would prefer DXB any day. And if the price is right people wouldn't mind about going to CTS via DXB. How many people actually check distances on the globe when they search for flights?

This is what Dubai cannot provide nearly as effectively -- the ability to 'break down' an incoming longhaul flight into a bunch of smaller flights to the smaller cities.

Do you have an idea into how many connections a flight from DUS to DXB can be broken down?

DXB is simply too far from most of Europe to even break down flights to narrowbodies, much less any regional aircraft.

Who says EK would ever want to use narrowbodies and regional aircraft? And while they cannot offer as many small European destinations as Lufthansa they can indeed offer a larger number of Asian and Australian cities than LH, with only one stop at DXB.

Right now, only major cities have long-haul service to hubs. But in the fiture, even medium size cities will have 'core hub' service, and what I call 'transit hubs' will not grow nearly as much as overall travel.

And "core hubs" are not "transit hubs"?

Quoting FCYTravis (Reply 147):
Dubai is not well-placed to connect the *majority* of today's international air traffic, which is transatlantic or transpacific.

Though it hasn't stopped their enormous growth yet...I guess they couldn't care less about transatlantic and transpacific.

It is not horribly placed for EU-Asia traffic, but its placement is no great advantage either.

EU-Asia traffic has been the driving factor behind EK's growth. So don't tell me DXB's location is no advantage...

Quoting FCYTravis (Reply 149):
Because EU-Asia traffic today is well-served by non-stops?

Athens, Birmingham, Dusseldorf, Geneva, Glasgow, Hamburg, Manchester, Milan, Prague are well-served with nonstops? And some destinations (e.g. CGK and MNL) aren't served nonstop even from large hubs.

It would be like starting a connecting hub in Bermuda. Fine, so it's sort of on the way between the US and the EU. But there's so many non-stops between the two places now anyway that nobody's going to want to connect in the middle of the Atlantic.

And you seriously want to compare BDA to DXB?

connecting only from one airline at a location that is not in the busiest international air corridors or an O&D destination on even the level of AMS.

What do you actually know about Dubai?

We can start having this thread when DXB beats out PHL, YYZ or SEA for the title of World's 30th-Busiest Airport.

Just a matter of time until DXB jumps at 30 million pax.

Regards,
JM
The Journey is my Destination

D L X

Wed Nov 30, 2005 12:18 am

Quoting JetMaster (Reply 150):
It's really amazing how many people talk about EK and DXB and the lack of future perspectives though apparently these people have never had a closer look at EK's network and EK's and DXB's development over the past years.

JM, it's not that we think DXB is bound for failure, for me, it's quite the contrary. I think DXB will be successful. What I don't understand is why people believe that when I say "DXB will not be the GREATEST" people read "DXB will not be GREAT." Many a business venture has started with much fanfare (and much financial backing) only to find a lack of success in the end.

Dubai is not well-placed to connect the *majority* of today's international air traffic, which is transatlantic or transpacific.

Though it hasn't stopped their enormous growth yet...I guess they couldn't care less about transatlantic and transpacific.

How are they going to become the biggest when they write off the biggest markets?

We can start having this thread when DXB beats out PHL, YYZ or SEA for the title of World's 30th-Busiest Airport.

Just a matter of time until DXB jumps at 30 million pax.

Honestly, I wish I could know why you and the others backing DXB are so sure.

Regards,
D L X

hailstone

Wed Nov 30, 2005 12:20 am

Quoting Sq212 (Reply 9):
140 sq. km is more than twice the land area of entire Singapore!

Have not gone through the entire tread, but 140 sq.km is not more than twice the land area of Singapore - Singapore is not big, but still does have an area of about 660 sq km - depending on how much land has been reclaimed in Jurong and Pulau Tekong....

JetMaster

Wed Nov 30, 2005 12:41 am

Quoting D L X (Reply 151):

JM, it's not that we think DXB is bound for failure, for me, it's quite the contrary. I think DXB will be successful. What I don't understand is why people believe that when I say "DXB will not be the GREATEST" people read "DXB will not be GREAT." Many a business venture has started with much fanfare (and much financial backing) only to find a lack of success in the end.

Agreed - and if you check all my replies then you'll find out I have never said it would become the "Biggest" or "Greatest".

How are they going to become the biggest when they write off the biggest markets?

See above. Their fast growth has shown they are able to do well without.

Honestly, I wish I could know why you and the others backing DXB are so sure.

I have often explained my views, in this thread and many others.

Regards,
JM

D L X

Wed Nov 30, 2005 1:31 am

Quoting JetMaster (Reply 153):
Agreed - and if you check all my replies then you'll find out I have never said it would become the "Biggest" or "Greatest".

The thread title says "Busiest." I say "that won't happen." I get attacked, and some even question me for bias. (Wow!)

Although, I'm glad we can come to an understanding at least.

sllevin

Wed Nov 30, 2005 5:20 am

Quoting EurostarVA (Reply 146):
And who said most passengers prefer to fly a 10-hr flight and then connect onto a 50 minute hop, when you can break the journey down into 2, more manageable legs of 5-8 hours each?

Because it's not going to be two legs, it will become three via DXB. See below...

Who says EK would ever want to use narrowbodies and regional aircraft?

The trouble is, flying A330's and such means you have to fly to cities that can support it. You are then sacrificing the ability to get some passengers close to their actual destination, while gaining nothing with the passengers going to major destinations (except for those who want two shorter flights instead of a long and a short -- something that I argue is more than balanced by the premium passengers that would prefer a long/short combination so they can sleep better).

Let's go back to Sapporo-Europe. Compare EK with 'EH' (Euro-Hubbed Airlines, apologies to the real EH. This represents, essentailly, all the European majors with longhaul service).

Sapporo to major cities like CDG: Good chance that EH will offer a non-stop.

Sapporo to medium cities like TXL: Both available with one stop. Minor advantage to EH, because of higher frequencies -- if the longhaul flight is delayed, there's a good chance you just get on the next flight a couple of hours later.

Sapporo to secondary cities like NCE, BSL, OPO: One stop on EH, two stops on EK.

The inability of EK to effectively service smaller, secondary destinations is going to be a limit. And it's going to get worse, not better. Why? Because point to point flying is going to get cheaper and cheaper. Smaller and smaller cities in Asia are going to get non-stop service, either to hubs in Europe where narrowbodies can take them to their final destination, or directly TO their destination.

The idea that the majority of people are going to fly in large airplanes from major city to major city is at best current thinking.

I'm not saying that there's not room for another Euro-hubbed airline with good quality and service out there. But DXB is too far away from the European market. Look at 2500mi radius from DXB (the practical limit of A320's, for example) and see how little of Europe falls in that radius.

Steve

JetMaster

Wed Nov 30, 2005 5:44 am

Quoting Sllevin (Reply 155):
The inability of EK to effectively service smaller, secondary destinations is going to be a limit. And it's going to get worse, not better. Why? Because point to point flying is going to get cheaper and cheaper. Smaller and smaller cities in Asia are going to get non-stop service, either to hubs in Europe where narrowbodies can take them to their final destination, or directly TO their destination.

Your example is nice but it totally ignores what I wrote earlier. I clearly said that EK will never be able to fly to as many European cities as LH or AF do - but EK can connect many secondary international destinations to each other, in both Asia and Europe. Just what they have been doing for many years and what they will even increase in the future. See my reply 150.

The idea that the majority of people are going to fly in large airplanes from major city to major city is at best current thinking.

It's not. EK already uses widebodies to a number of cities which do not get many longhaul services. You forget that EK carries lots of cargo which is only possible with widebodies.

But DXB is too far away from the European market.

No it is NOT. EK's growth has been partly based on the European market. That's a fact - if you like it or not. Why do you think Jean-Cyril Spinetta (and others) have complained massively about EK? They wouldn't do that if there were no threat to European carriers.

Again you ignored my remarks about people not checking the distances on the globes when searching for flights. See my reply 150 again and answer directly to the points I raised.

Regards,
JM

D L X

Wed Nov 30, 2005 5:56 am

Quoting JetMaster (Reply 156):
EK already uses widebodies to a number of cities which do not get many longhaul services. You forget that EK carries lots of cargo which is only possible with widebodies.

How much? What's your take on how that will help DXB become the busiest airport in the world?

Again you ignored my remarks about people not checking the distances on the globes when searching for flights.

People do check flight times though, which are directly related to distance.

brilondon

Wed Nov 30, 2005 8:05 am

Quoting JetMaster (Reply 112):
What's the world's busiest airport by passengers? Is it located in New York, London or Tokyo? No. Somewhere in Georgia...

That somewhere in Georgia is Atlanta. This happens to be one of the world's largest airline's hubs. Delta if you don't already know. The reason is that it is situated in the middle of the United States and thus is a major domestic hub. DBX has no major domestic feeder system that's anywhere near that of Delta's.
Rush forever Closer To My Heart

D L X

Wed Nov 30, 2005 8:14 am

Quoting Brilondon (Reply 158):
That somewhere in Georgia is Atlanta. This happens to be one of the world's largest airline's hubs.

Good point, imo. Do you (or anyone) know what EK's rank in terms of annual boardings is? And where it's predicted to be in 10 years?

sllevin

Wed Nov 30, 2005 8:49 am

ust what they have been doing for many years and what they will even increase in the future.

Again, past history.

It's not. EK already uses widebodies to a number of cities which do not get many longhaul services. You forget that EK carries lots of cargo which is only possible with widebodies.

Places like NCE, BSL and SOF may well not have a large cargo market.

No it is NOT. EK's growth has been partly based on the European market. That's a fact - if you like it or not. Why do you think Jean-Cyril Spinetta (and others) have complained massively about EK? They wouldn't do that if there were no threat to European carriers.

Of course they are competition. But enough to make DXB the busiest airport in the world?

Wow, ever changed planes at FRA?

Yes, I have. But more to the point, the example could be any European hub, present of future. The point is no more valid that claiming we shouldn't ever transit DXB because the a/c might go out in the terminals and it would be terribly hot.

What's going on at DXB is current history and EK's expansion plans give an idea about the future.

Current success is good. Plans are nice. But they aren't gospel. 20 years ago PeopleExpress would have been the unstoppable giant that was going to run everyone else out of business.

Just because DEL, BOM and MAA might get some new nonstops to some of the world's major hubs (JFK, ORD etc.) it will not happen for countless secondary international airports.

Disagree. So do the sales of A350's and B787's. Smaller and smaller cities in Asia WILL get nonstop service to a European hub.

Who says EK would ever want to use narrowbodies and regional aircraft? And while they cannot offer as many small European destinations as Lufthansa they can indeed offer a larger number of Asian and Australian cities than LH, with only one stop at DXB.

Australia's going to be the last place to have lots of non-stop service, I agree. But even that isn't going to last much longer. And then most of the premium traffic is going to be sucked right out of those routes. High-yield traffic will travel non-stop.

EK's plans are one thing, but the nearly 500 'next generation' airframe sales in what....2 years? -- that's reality.

Again, that doesn't mean that EK won't grow, or that DXB won't grow. This is not a black and white type of thing. So please stop putting everything in that light.

What it DOES mean is that DXB will NOT be the businest airport in the world. EK will NOT be the dominant airline for longhaul between Europe and Asia/Oceania.

It amazes me that people think that a hub 4000 miles from Europe can really become dominant. Don't they ever look at a map?

Steve

lehpron

Wed Nov 30, 2005 9:59 pm

Quoting AS739X (Reply 1):
Its will almost never be the largest in a/c movement or pax.

Quoting D L X (Reply 2):
I agree. It's just not close enough to the center of where people want to travel.

What's your point of view here?

Quoting VonRichtofen (Reply 5):
I think the UAE is going a little crazy with projects.

Didn't Einstein once say that "people who never make mistakes have never tried anything new" -- at least UAE is trying.

Quoting United Airline (Reply 13):
It is almost impossible/0 chance that Dubai will EVER become the busiest airport in the world unless people fly from Los Angeles to San Francisco, London to Paris or Hong Kong to Singapore via Dubai. There traffic is just not there. Besides if I wanna fly from an Asian city to Australia or Europe or even Africa, I can go direct without having to stop in Dubai.

I get the impression that you believe that Africa/India/China just will not develop in the next few decades, such that Europe/USA maintain their traffic monopoly. I know I am wrong, the question is "how"?  Wink

You say never/doubt a lot, what are the chances you simply don't like the idea of the middle east being bigger than anywhere else? You do realize that by the time all this we're talking about goes down, you will have kids your age?

Quoting D L X (Reply 51):
Why would anyone fly to DXB from the Americas at all without the intention of terminating in the Middle East?

Why are anyone in the Americas flying more than ever before? Hint: cheap tickets. Unless you have other priorites than cost, never mind. I highly, to use United Airline's fav word, doubt the conditions in China and India will remain constant for the next 20 years by the time this airport is projected to be 'the busiest in the world'. If I were one of those who are growing up poor to graduate middle class, I would be more interested in flying cheaper than just getting there as if I was a veteran FF, which they aren't.

What makes everyone think that these new middle class citizens from India or China absolutely have to go to or through the USA or Europe when they get the chance to fly for vacation or part of their jobs? Airports are not made for current traffic, they are made for future traffic. In the past people came to the USA and to Europe because we had better economies. Over the next 20 years down the line, what, countries China and India are just going to sit with their thumb up their @sses? Gimme a break! The traffic will shift; that said, certainly not current traffic, it will mostly be new planes with new pax and maybe even new carriers. I am going to guess 50 years down, the age of giant planes will retire and the world will want LCC's and P2P aircraft. With that distance, only sonics will be able to do it, and the world will have the money. I think by 2075, the concept of a third-world-country will not exist.
The meaning of life is curiosity; we were put on this planet to explore opportunities.

cloudy

Thu Dec 01, 2005 1:05 am

This is what Dubai cannot provide nearly as effectively -- the ability to 'break down' an incoming longhaul flight into a bunch of smaller flights to the smaller cities. DXB is simply too far from most of Europe to even break down flights to narrowbodies, much less any regional aircraft.

That is a good point I had not thought about. You do need a long haul, lower capacity planes on one leg to achieve fragmentation. But the 2nd leg can be on a smaller plane. That may give regional (rather than transit) hubs some advantage.

JetMaster

Thu Dec 01, 2005 3:15 am

Quoting D L X (Reply 157):
How much? What's your take on how that will help DXB become the busiest airport in the world?

I have never said it would become the busiest.

Quoting D L X (Reply 157):
People do check flight times though, which are directly related to distance.

And flight times aren't really bad on many connections. Just check it on the major airlines between Europe and Asia and compare it to EK. And even if it involves some more hours in certain cases, people wouldn't mind. EK and QR carry many pax out of Germany bound for ICN, JNB, KIX, PEK or PVG and those seem to care only about good fares, good service and convenient transfer.

That somewhere in Georgia is Atlanta. This happens to be one of the world's largest airline's hubs. Delta if you don't already know.

Oh, I do know well about the world's airlines and airports. My original remark was meant a bit ironic.  Smile

The reason is that it is situated in the middle of the United States and thus is a major domestic hub.

Not really in the middle...ATL is not very convenient for going from Northeast or Midwest to West or Northwest. Though people still do it.

Quoting Sllevin (Reply 160):

Again, past history.

How's that? Where are all the nonstops between secondary markets?

Places like NCE, BSL and SOF may well not have a large cargo market.

NCE is already served by EK's B773, BSL is indeed a popular cargo airport and I wouldn't underestimate Eastern Europe's capitals. PRG will be served by EK soon, WAW is on the waiting list, and others might follow soon. All these markets could be well served with B787s.

But enough to make DXB the busiest airport in the world?

Probably not. See above.

But more to the point, the example could be any European hub, present of future. The point is no more valid that claiming we shouldn't ever transit DXB because the a/c might go out in the terminals and it would be terribly hot.

Changing planes at CDG, FRA or LHR can be a mess, it doesn't match DXB's convenience. That's a fact proven by many surveys.

20 years ago PeopleExpress would have been the unstoppable giant that was going to run everyone else out of business.

You cannot really compare PeopleExpress to EK.

Disagree. So do the sales of A350's and B787's. Smaller and smaller cities in Asia WILL get nonstop service to a European hub.

Oh, you say "European hub" - exactly. That's what I have been talking about all the time. Secondary international gateways won't get as many nonstops to other secondary gateways as some people might think. Feed is important to longhaul and that won't change.

Australia's going to be the last place to have lots of non-stop service, I agree. But even that isn't going to last much longer.

Oh? A350 and B787 won't connect Europe with Australia nonstop. So yes, it will last longer.

And then most of the premium traffic is going to be sucked right out of those routes. High-yield traffic will travel non-stop.

Where - SYD-LHR? And? How many of these high-yield premium nonstops will we see? MUC-MEL? MAN-BNE? No chance.

EK's plans are one thing, but the nearly 500 'next generation' airframe sales in what....2 years? -- that's reality.

What exactly do you mean?

Again, that doesn't mean that EK won't grow, or that DXB won't grow. This is not a black and white type of thing. So please stop putting everything in that light.

Where have I put "everything in that light"? Show me, please.

What it DOES mean is that DXB will NOT be the businest airport in the world.

Probably true.

EK will NOT be the dominant airline for longhaul between Europe and Asia/Oceania.

It is already very dominant. Just check their number of flights to Australia/Asia and Europe and compare them to Asian or European airlines. And it's obvious what will happen when they introduce their A380s.

It amazes me that people think that a hub 4000 miles from Europe can really become dominant. Don't they ever look at a map?

It is already dominant and it is regarded as a threat by European, Asian and Australian carriers. And no, people don't look at a map when they book a convenient connection on a convenient airline at a reasonable fare. I wouldn't mind about some more hours of total journey time. And in many cases EK flies you to your destination faster than European or Asian airlines - that's a fact which can be checked by looking at some timetables.

Regards,
JM

sllevin

Thu Dec 01, 2005 5:26 am

Quoting JetMaster (Reply 163):

Did you miss all those orders?

More accurately, with your logic, since Dubai and EK are not that large now, they never will be.

Oh? A350 and B787 won't connect Europe with Australia nonstop. So yes, it will last longer.

772LRX or A345SHGW. Again, 10 years ago, who thought SIN-EWR would be a daily nonstop?

Steve

JetMaster

Thu Dec 01, 2005 6:31 am

Quoting Sllevin (Reply 164):
Did you miss all those orders?

Which ones? The B787 ones which will replace current B767 and A330 fleets?

More accurately, with your logic, since Dubai and EK are not that large now, they never will be.

What? Can you please explain to me that rather odd statement?

772LRX or A345SHGW.

Do you know more than Airbus and Boeing? How about a B787XXLRSPER?  Wink

Again, 10 years ago, who thought SIN-EWR would be a daily nonstop?

Airbus, Boeing and SIA maybe? SIN and EWR are two large hubs, one based at one of Asia's largest cities, the other one close to one of the world's largest cities. No real surprise.

Regards,
JM

sllevin

Thu Dec 01, 2005 8:54 am

Quoting JetMaster (Reply 165):
Which ones? The B787 ones which will replace current B767 and A330 fleets?

Not all will be replacements. After all, the oldest 330's will less than 15 years old when 350's start showing up.

What? Can you please explain to me that rather odd statement?

Not any more than you can explain:

If the fact that secondary markets don't currently have service means that they never will, then my statement is just as valid. (Of course, I don't believe EITHER statement, just following your logic).

Airbus, Boeing and SIA maybe? SIN and EWR are two large hubs, one based at one of Asia's largest cities, the other one close to one of the world's largest cities. No real surprise.

Again, point missed. 10 years ago no one was marketing planes nor planning for ultra long haul routes. So again, using what airplanes do today to argue for what they'll do 10 years from now isn't valid.

Your entire argument is that flying patterns and capabilities are fixed, and only passenger loads will grow. If you accept those conditions, you do indeed have a valid argument.

I, however, disagree with fixing patterns and capabilities. I believe that as longhaul gets longer and thinner, that it will lower the growth curve for DXB. Again, I am not claiming that DXB, nor EK as an airline, will wither and die. Just that the growth of DXB will slow, and it will NOT be the busiest airport in the world.

Steve

RiddlePilot215

Thu Dec 01, 2005 8:57 am

Quoting Glareskin (Thread starter):
Seems that EK gets good support from their govt.....

Isn't EK still partially gov't owned?
God is good, all the time. All the time, God is good.

JetMaster

Thu Dec 01, 2005 3:21 pm

Quoting Sllevin (Reply 166):
Not all will be replacements. After all, the oldest 330's will less than 15 years old when 350's start showing up.

Certain airlines will fly both A330 and A350/B787 for some years. What about the B767s?

If the fact that secondary markets don't currently have service means that they never will, then my statement is just as valid.

You said EK's strategy is a concept of the past and I asked where these long thin nonstops between secondary cities are...and because there aren't any EK's strategy is still a very promising concept - for a long time to come.

Again, point missed. 10 years ago no one was marketing planes nor planning for ultra long haul routes. So again, using what airplanes do today to argue for what they'll do 10 years from now isn't valid.

Fine, planes' capabilities have changed. But what do we have? Some very few nonstops between some of the world's largest hubs. And there won't be many more in a few years. A350 and B787 won't help with their limited range compared to the A345 or B772LR.

Your entire argument is that flying patterns and capabilities are fixed, and only passenger loads will grow.

It will move in both directions, new nonstops and new hub routes. There are many smaller cities which will be connected to DXB long before they any long nonstops to anywheren else. And if they get them, it's probably just another hub route which wouldn't make transfers easier than via DXB.

I believe that as longhaul gets longer and thinner, that it will lower the growth curve for DXB.

It will lower the curve, but not stop EK's growth to one of the world's largest international airlines.

Regards,
JM

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos