Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ph0king
Topic Author

Singapore Airlines/Singapore-Australia-U.S.A

Fri Dec 02, 2005 3:36 pm

I've heard that SQ is trying to get the Australian government to grant them the rights to fly SIN/Australia/USA. What is the status of this and what is the likelihood of it happening. If it does, where would SQ fly: SIN/SYD/LAX?, SIN/SYD/SFO?. Both? And if they do this wouldn't this flight be too long if you're going from Singapore to the US or vice versa?

N1120A

RE: Singapore Airlines/Singapore-Australia-U.S.A

Fri Dec 02, 2005 3:39 pm

Well, I think after what just happened, it is less likely than ever.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

Halophila

Fri Dec 02, 2005 3:43 pm

I agree with N1120A, now would be a rather insensitive time for this to be raised by Australian government - regardless of australian's views about whether what happened was just or unjust. Perhaps a year down the track.
Flown on A36 310 319 320 321 332 333 343 388 350 707 717 727 732 733 734 735 73G 738 739 741 742 743 744 74SP 757 753 762 763 772 773 77W 787 D10 DC9 M11 M80 M87 CRJ CR7 CR9 CR1000 120 135 145 175 190 146 F28 F50 F70 F100 Tristar

Simpilicity

Fri Dec 02, 2005 4:03 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 1):
Well, I think after what just happened, it is less likely than ever.

Hanging a drug dealer will make absolutely NO difference what so ever.

They should have given parents of children who died because of overdoses a bullet each so they could shoot the drug dealer. I can't believe anyone would defend a obviously guilty drug dealer, a dealer of death !!!

Anyway, that's Singapores business.

Half the wold hates the U.S. because it sticks it's nose in other peoples business.

The Australian government might let SQ in on other routes apart from the obvious SYD/LAX.

QF is pulling a 744 daily BNE/AKL/LAX & downgrading it to a 763 BNE/AKL with 5 hours sitting at exciting AKL (fun city not) & only increasing BNE/LAX nonstops by 1/week from end of JAN, so they could let SQ in on that & they would be swamped. SQ has a far superior reputation that QF, especially in the flight attendant department, which is mostly what the public sees.

QANTASpower

Fri Dec 02, 2005 9:37 pm

I would say no AUS - US rights for the executioners.

gokmengs

Fri Dec 02, 2005 10:17 pm

Quoting QANTASpower (Reply 4):

But its ok to fly 6 daily or however many to US who just carried out its 1000th(read: one thousand) execution. Is that statement of yours fair?
Yaşa Mustafa Kemal Paşa Yaşa, Adın Yazılacak Mücevher Taşa

jeffrysky

Fri Dec 02, 2005 10:57 pm

Stop making a mockery of yourself and your own government.

Nguyen has committed a major offence in Singapore territory , and is subjected to Singapore laws that have been in place since our independence. This is between Nguyen and Singapore laws.

Singapore Airlines wishes to access the Australia-US route. This is a business negotiation between SIA and the Australian authorities.

Two entirely different thorny issues, but it just takes one nut to make the link. Well-done.

Pieinthesky

Sat Dec 03, 2005 6:21 am

I just wonder if Asian countries will start thinking about banning QF, looking at the number of Aussies smuggling drugs in the region.

But hang on a minute, that would be a childish and ridiculous thing to even suggest.

isuA380B777

Sat Dec 03, 2005 9:02 am

Quoting JeffrySkY (Reply 6):
Stop making a mockery of yourself and your own government.

Nguyen has committed a major offence in Singapore territory , and is subjected to Singapore laws that have been in place since our independence. This is between Nguyen and Singapore laws.

Singapore Airlines wishes to access the Australia-US route. This is a business negotiation between SIA and the Australian authorities.

Two entirely different thorny issues, but it just takes one nut to make the link. Well-done.

Fully agree with you. Politics and the Aviation should not be mixed together

dutchjet

Sat Dec 03, 2005 9:07 am

Quoting Ph0king (Thread starter):
I've heard that SQ is trying to get the Australian government to grant them the rights to fly SIN/Australia/USA. What is the status of this and what is the likelihood of it happening. If it does, where would SQ fly: SIN/SYD/LAX?, SIN/SYD/SFO?. Both? And if they do this wouldn't this flight be too long if you're going from Singapore to the US or vice versa?

And, back to the original topic..........

SQ wants the rights to fly pax between Australia and the US....and has little to do with moving pax from SIN to the US via Australia.

Simpilicity

Sat Dec 03, 2005 10:32 am

they should have televised the hanging live & kids should have been made to watch it to show what happens to drug trafficking SCUM !!!

QANTAS077

Sat Dec 03, 2005 10:39 am

Quoting Simpilicity (Reply 10):
they should have televised the hanging live & kids should have been made to watch it to show what happens to drug trafficking SCUM !!!

just about the stupidest thing i've ever heard...a state sanctioned murder is probably the most violent and disturbing thing anyone could witness, if you have any kids maybe you should take them along to one if you feel that way, i can't think of any positive that they'd gain from it. It'd change alot of minds on capital punishment if the public was allowed to witness it! so drop the macho BS. drug mules are little people of society, legalise the drugs and do away with the drug lords...

as for the Aus-USA rights, it was widely thought that the govt would announce it this week, i think with John Howards and the Australian govts reaction to events yesterday it might sit in waiting for a little while longer...Singapore govt is on the nose down here currently, so i guess they'll have to now wait til we're good and ready to make a "small" concession to them.

[Edited 2005-12-03 02:41:30]

QANTAS077

Fri Dec 09, 2005 7:28 am

by the looks of it SQ won't be getting what it wants anytime soon, they may get limited access from Melbourne and Brisbane but not Sydney anytime soon.

Steve Lewis and Steve Creedy
December 09, 2005

QANTAS is certain to retain its stranglehold on the lucrative trans-Pacific route after John Howard gave assurances that "national interest" arguments would outweigh calls for the opening-up of aviation markets.

Ahead of a cabinet decision on an "open skies" policy, possibly next week, senior government figures told The Australian last night that Singapore Airlines's bid to gain greater access had largely failed.

Deputy Prime Minister Mark Vaile, a strong pro-competition advocate, also conceded that the interests of Qantas would drive much of the cabinet debate.

"We just can't take a purist view to this," the Nationals leader said.

Singapore Airlines and Emirates have been pushing for a greater slice of the Australian market. Singapore wants to fly through Sydney to the US, while Emirates is hoping to double its present twice-daily flights from Dubai to Sydney, Perth, Melbourne and Brisbane.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au.../0,5744,17509554%255E23349,00.html

Simpilicity

Fri Dec 09, 2005 9:17 am

Your forgetting Branson is trying to apparently trying to regain control of DJ & then get DJ to fly wide bodies long haul low cost.

He's in partnership with SQ in VS & despite the posturing & spin doctors, it would allow SQ in thru the back door.

I sure SQ could find suitable aircraft fast !!! They tend not to stuff around, when they aren't held back.

aviasian

Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:34 am

Australia's determination not to grant rights on the Australia-USA route to Singapore Airlines does not need any help from the recent drug trafficker saga . . . I frankly have not seen a shred of true intention to even consider this request - never mind how Qantas' request for all manners of routes through SIN were granted (and in some cases failed only because Australia failed to secure permission from third countries' governments - which is something neither SIA nor the Singapore government has any jurisdiction).

If anyone think that Qantas is not getting much business out of SIN - I suggest you go speak to people who have access to the volume of business it does out of SIN and the rest of SE Asia via SIN.

And I don't think this will change anytime soon . . . Australia's claims to be studying SIA's request is just a myth that will continue to be hijacked by one issue after another . . . and by the turn of the decade, SIA will certainly have lost interest in this route. Meanwhile, Australians will continue to fiscally support Qantas highest-yield route by paying through their noses, eyes, ears, mouths and especially pockets.

And Qantas will also be sharpening its tongue for more lashings directed at Emirates (and perhaps Etihad and Qatar if these dare harbour any hopes of operating to Australia/NZ). But Australians should actually welcome such services - because then drug traffickers could move between Australia and the Mekong countries using Doha or Dubai as transit points (and perhaps here, the governments aren't so barbaric as to "execute / murder" drug traffickers - these poor souls are only trying to earn a few extra bucks).

What I could never understand is how a good and efficient airline such as Qantas is always crying foul even as it reports huge profits. It is always another airline's or government's fault that Qantas is not earning twice the profit it reports. And for those who think that travel between Australia and Singapore is mono-directional in favour of Singapore, think again. Australians may come to Singapore in somewhat larger numbers but they stay far shorter than the huge number of Singaporeans going to Australia and spending anything from 10 - 20 days and moving around the country.

Changi as a hub for Qantas and in a bigger picture scenario, the port of Singapore as a hub for good from all over the world to consolidate onto smaller vessels for their onward journies to Australia is something that Australia must surely see as a valuable (and might I add strategic) part of the overall equation that we called "bilateral relations".

So to all those holding on to your wallets and hoping to fly to the USA for less, it is time to grit your teeth and liberate those crisp new notes. No point waiting because SIA will not be on that route - whether sooner or later. Protectionism has always been an Australian trademark in aviation and this will almost never change.

KC Sim

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos