Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

na
Topic Author

Syrian Air: Boeings Out, Airbus In

Sat Dec 03, 2005 2:56 am

http://www.flightinternational.com/Home/Default.aspx

Sadly, finally Syrianair is going to replace its duo of 747SPs with A330s.

And the 727 with A321s.

LHMark

RE: Syrian Air: Boeings Out, Airbus In

Sat Dec 03, 2005 2:58 am

Would buying Boeing even be a possibility for Syrianair?
"Sympathy is something that shouldn't be bestowed on the Yankees. Apparently it angers them." - Bob Feller

radelow

Sat Dec 03, 2005 3:01 am

I think the chances of Syrianair buying Boeing is next to none. We basically have called them a Terrorist State.

N328KF

Sat Dec 03, 2005 3:01 am

Quoting LHMARK (Reply 1):
Would buying Boeing even be a possibility for Syrianair?

I'm surprised that Airbuses are even a possibility for them. Nobody's really happy with the Syrians, because of Hariri.
“In the age of information, ignorance is a choice.”
-Donny Miller

A319XFW

Sat Dec 03, 2005 3:02 am

Is suppose it'd be an exotic aircraft to see here at XFW at least!!

SA744

Sat Dec 03, 2005 3:08 am

That is sad those SP's served them well, but suppose was time to upgrade..Which airline is still flying the SP's by the by?

roseflyer

Sat Dec 03, 2005 3:09 am

Are there currently any embargos on Syria? I know that one of the troubles that Iran Air is facing with getting new planes from Europe is a US trade embargo. The embargo allows for sales of parts necessary for repair of products bought before the embargo started for items made in the USA. But goods manufactured in other countries with American parts incorporated are not allowed to be sold repair parts. There are a lot of parts in all Airbus planes that were made in the USA, so I wonder if this will be an issue.
If you have never designed an airplane part before, let the real designers do the work!

JetMaster

Sat Dec 03, 2005 3:09 am

Quoting SA744 (Reply 5):
Which airline is still flying the SP's by the by?

Iran Air still does.

Regards,
JM
The Journey is my Destination

A319XFW

Sat Dec 03, 2005 3:12 am

Quoting RoseFlyer (Reply 6):
But goods manufactured in other countries with American parts incorporated are not allowed to be sold repair parts. There are a lot of parts in all Airbus planes that were made in the USA, so I wonder if this will be an issue.

IIRC Chinese airlines aren't allowed certain (US manufactured) gyros in their Airbusses, as they have got technology that's also in cruise missiles.....

ikramerica

Sat Dec 03, 2005 3:19 am

Quoting Radelow (Reply 2):
I think the chances of Syrianair buying Boeing is next to none. We basically have called them a Terrorist State.

Not just basically, and not without cause.

Of course the fact that Airbus will sell to them anyway...
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

A319XFW

Sat Dec 03, 2005 3:21 am

The problem is though, if the regime is corrupt etc, why should the people suffer....?

airfrnt

Sat Dec 03, 2005 3:23 am

Quoting Ikramerica (Reply 9):

Let's not be idealistic here. Boeing would sell to them in a heartbeat if they could. The difference is that the Government of the United States would frown on it, whereas the various governments of the EU try not to let little things like oppressive regimes keep them from making a Euro. The United States has less then a perfect record at times with the same thing.

roseflyer

Sat Dec 03, 2005 3:50 am

That is an interesting issue. If selling Airbus planes to Syria violates a US trade embargo, then it won't happen. A good percentage of the components found on an A330 or A321 are American. Certain parts on the planes are only made by American companies and cannot be acquired elsewhere. If Airbus and the EU turn around and sell these goods to Syria, then there will be some reprocussions from the US government. The US government really does have the power to hurt the Syrian government and people. This is the purpose of a trade embargo. Yes it has detrimental affects on the people, but according to the United States, some actions of the Syrian government have negative affects on the United States and its allies. Syria could get all the Boeing planes that it could ever want if it conceded to what the United States demands.
If you have never designed an airplane part before, let the real designers do the work!

A342

Sat Dec 03, 2005 4:16 am

Quoting A319XFW (Reply 8):
IIRC Chinese airlines aren't allowed certain (US manufactured) gyros in their Airbusses, as they have got technology that's also in cruise missiles.....

But they are allowed in their Boeings ? If so, you just gotta laugh about this idiotic and ironic rule...
Exceptions confirm the rule.

Beaucaire

Sat Dec 03, 2005 4:24 am

I have long enough lived and worked in arab countries to not fall into the trap that western media are selling to the public.
Syria is the ideal next terrorist-country target- let's go for it !
Because of a minor elite class that manipulates events and politics,we have to punish the nation -caus' that's what's happening in Iraq. Under Saddam things were bad - under Bush and Condoleza they are worse !
There are -unfortunately- not so many a.netters from Syria -but I send all of them my best regards. I hope your fleet-renewal program does not hit any political hurdles.If you buy Boeing or Airbus- anything is better than what you currently use.
Please respect animals - don't eat them...

A319XFW

Sat Dec 03, 2005 4:28 am

Quoting A342 (Reply 13):
But they are allowed in their Boeings ? If so, you just gotta laugh about this idiotic and ironic rule...

I don't know about that. But I'd guess not.

Quoting Beaucaire (Reply 14):
If you buy Boeing or Airbus- anything is better than what you currently use.

They currently use 747SP and 727.... Not bad aircraft in their own rights....

KL808

Sat Dec 03, 2005 4:56 am

When are they going to deliver the A330's and how many?

Drew
AMS-LAX-MNL

AMSSFO

Sat Dec 03, 2005 4:59 am

Quoting A319XFW (Reply 15):
If you buy Boeing or Airbus- anything is better than what you currently use.

They currently use 747SP and 727.... Not bad aircraft in their own rights....

and a couple of A320's already.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Thomas Wirtenberger

Quoting Kl808 (Reply 16):
When are they going to deliver the A330's and how many?

read the link:

Quoting NA (Thread starter):
http://www.flightinternational.com/Home/Default.aspx

breiz

Sat Dec 03, 2005 5:07 am

When, for example, Aer Lingus goes all Airbus, that's fleet rationalization.
When Syrian Airlines go all Airbus, that's politics.
Is it really so?

dutchjet

Sat Dec 03, 2005 5:17 am

Quoting Breiz (Reply 18):
Is it really so?

You make an interesting point. Politics and trade issues will sometimes influences airline orders, but I do think that these factors get far more emphasis here at a.net than is really the case. (Recent examples of some political influence in the placing airliner orders: both Egyptair and Turkish deciding the order both the 737NG and A32X families and fly them side by side....as an attempt to keep everybody happy).

Syria is a different issue - with the very strained relationship between Syria and the US, it would be very unusual if Syria would place an order with Boeing. This is not a political forum, so enough said, but such factors sometimes will strongly influence aircraft orders.

HiJazzey

Sat Dec 03, 2005 6:30 am

Good on them. Those old planes were looking tired.

pilottj

Sat Dec 03, 2005 6:44 am

I would think this would be a good opportunity for Tupolev to try to sell a few TU-204s and to prove their viability. Syria has always had a relationship with the former Soviet Union and now Russia. They still have a few TU-154s and TU-134s flying around.

CHeers
TJ

btw, I used to live in Damascus in the mid 90s, had a few rides on the Syrian Air 727s and once on a TU-154M...all good flights.
God was my copilot, but we crashed in the mountains and I had to eat him...

soylentgreen

Sat Dec 03, 2005 8:48 am

They should have bought Antonovs.

scalebuilder

Sat Dec 03, 2005 8:52 am

Quoting Breiz (Reply 18):
Is it really so?

I wish I could say that this would be that easy. You simply can't deny that political orientation has a lot to do with what a national airline decides to operate. This orientation is just about as powerful as the appeal, pricing and quality of the aircraft itself.

So you're right on the money.
Go the extra mile......and avoid the traffic!!!

ZSOFN

Sat Dec 03, 2005 9:03 am

Do you think we'll EVER see a thread on a.net where Airbus is merely congratulated in the same fashion as Boeing would be for winning an order?

semsem

Sat Dec 03, 2005 9:26 am

Why don't they buy Tupolevs?

legacy135

Sat Dec 03, 2005 9:40 am

Quoting AirFrnt (Reply 11):

Let's not be idealistic here. Boeing would sell to them in a heartbeat if they could. The difference is that the Government of the United States would frown on it, whereas the various governments of the EU try not to let little things like oppressive regimes keep them from making a Euro. The United States has less then a perfect record at times with the same thing

Thank you very much AirFrnt for being that honest, this is unfortunately very true as sadly...........

Under Saddam things were bad - under Bush and Condoleza they are worse !

this statement is a fact as well.

Anyway, we crossed Syrian's 727 frequently on our noon-time runs to Tunis. I will miss this classy silhouette on departure, accompanied by this wonderful sound of "real" jet engines.

Cheers
Legacy135 Wink

DarthRandall

Sat Dec 03, 2005 9:44 am

Let's not be idealistic here. Boeing would sell to them in a heartbeat if they could.

Absolutly! When it comes to business, issues of morality will always take a backseat. This may not be as much about politics as we may think, though. The 330s and the 321s are solid modern replacements, and the price on them is no doubt right.

The difference is that the Government of the United States would frown on it, whereas the various governments of the EU try not to let little things like oppressive regimes keep them from making a Euro. The United States has less then a perfect record at times with the same thing.

Yeah, just ask anybody is Central America or SouthEast Asia.
Ninjas can kill anyone they want! Ninjas cut off heads all the time and don't even think twice about it.

md90fan

Sat Dec 03, 2005 10:11 am

Well that axes another 747SP operator  Sad but nice to see Syrian Air get an modern replacement for those aircraft  Smile
http://www.devanwells.blogspot.com/

scalebuilder

Sat Dec 03, 2005 10:26 am

Quoting ZSOFN (Reply 25):
Do you think we'll EVER see a thread on a.net where Airbus is merely congratulated in the same fashion as Boeing would be for winning an order?

Sorry to say this, but you may not. Politics when it comes to the purchase of aircraft will always rear it's ugly head against you. Needles to say, you also need to realize that Boeing will have to overcome more political obstacales than Airbus does when it comes to securing orders from "questionable" nations. This should not be confused with not chosing Airbus aircraft because it is a better product. I think many airlines have chosen Airbus because of their product quality.

Smile

USAF336TFS

Sat Dec 03, 2005 11:24 am

Quoting Legacy135 (Reply 28):

No, it's an opinion.... One not shared by everyone on this forum. Why did I know this would turn into another Bush-bashing diatribe? Isn't it funny how, on the one hand, many people complain about politics and aircraft purchases being so closely tied, but on the other, have no problem spewing their own on this forum.
336th Tactical Fighter Squadron, 4th Fighter Wing, Seymour Johnson AFB

scalebuilder

Sat Dec 03, 2005 11:53 am

Quoting USAF336TFS (Reply 32):

Agree with USAF336TFS.

DarthRandall

Sat Dec 03, 2005 12:00 pm

I hope not. The congratulatory circle jerks are awfully dull. That said, the political posturing and accusations tend to get a bit boring also.
Ninjas can kill anyone they want! Ninjas cut off heads all the time and don't even think twice about it.

manni

Sat Dec 03, 2005 1:03 pm

Quoting DarthRandall (Reply 34):
The congratulatory circle jerks are awfully dull.

Smile  Smile  Smile How true, there must be thousands of them... congratulations to Boeing and Elal, congratulations to Boeing and Continental, congratulations to ... and... (fill in the blanks)

COSAMICLE

Sat Dec 03, 2005 3:51 pm

The US has, in fact, placed sanctions on Syria. These only exempt food, medicine, and airplane PARTS. The sanctions are definitely a fact; I have family who have lost business due to it. I have read over and over that airplane parts are legal for trade for safety issues. I have not read anywhere that the sale of aircraft to Syria from the US is legal. This may be why they are not buying Boeing...

PM

Sat Dec 03, 2005 4:29 pm

Quoting PHXinterrupted (Reply 27):
Yep, another Airbus win based on politics.

Did I hear someone just whisper ... El Al???

legacy135

Sat Dec 03, 2005 4:53 pm

This statement is a fact as well.

No, it's an opinion.... One not shared by everyone on this forum. Why did I know this would turn into another Bush-bashing diatribe? Isn't it funny how, on the one hand, many people complain about politics and aircraft purchases being so closely tied, but on the other, have no problem spewing their own on this forum.

My dear friend, if you like to know who brought in politics in this aspect, please look at post 9................

The only thing I don't like here, is that whenever an US-American pisses on Europe some of you guys applaud, if we show you just facts, then we are called Anti-American. This is unfair and not realistic. If you can't bear the fact that Europe and other countries are as well able to built great aircraft, then just stay out of the forum.

If you would look a little bit open minded at the case here, you would really easily see that Syrian already flies a number of A320 they bought in "politically better times." So when they go on with their fleet renovation it is nothing than logic to go on with the Airbus product. So the only fact here is, Boeing lost an order to Airbus and I guess Boeing will survive this as they have a good range of aircraft and lots of potential customers probably going for larger orders. Some of them even from Europe!

Cheers
Legacy135 Wink

Alessandro

Sat Dec 03, 2005 8:44 pm

Soy, currently no passenger Antonov big enough to compete with Airbus,
that´s why. I think finance also has something to do with it, Antonov don´t
have the financial muscles of Airbus.
From New Yorqatar to Califarbia...

ZSOFN

Sat Dec 03, 2005 9:15 pm

Quoting Legacy135 (Reply 38):

Couldn't have said it better myself  Smile

I'm not anti-american, but here on a.net there is clearly an inconsistency.

SKA380

Sat Dec 03, 2005 10:08 pm

Congratulations to Airbus and Syrian!

Those A330's will look great in Syrian colours!

Leif

Halibut

Sat Dec 03, 2005 10:14 pm

Under Saddam things were bad - under Bush and Condoleza

Life was far worse under under Saddam. At least now the Iraqi people are not being slaughtered by the hundreds of thousands & have a chance of living in Freedom . Are you awear of the Elections that took place in Iraqi ??? Something of which was not possible when Saddam was in power .

Under Saddam the people were like baitfish in bucket waiting to pulled out , then put on a hook just to be eaten alive !

The Terrorists Thank you for your support !

Democrat JOE LIEBERMAN on the War in Iraq !

http://www.opinionjournal.com/editorial/feature.html?id=110007611

Halibut
6 million Jews were slaughtered-Do you see Jews flying planes into buildings in Germany to kill 1000s of innocent, NO !

flyAUA

Sat Dec 03, 2005 10:28 pm

Quoting N328KF (Reply 3):
I'm surprised that Airbuses are even a possibility for them. Nobody's really happy with the Syrians

If you were a drug dealer, and somebody you're "not happy with" was going to buy stuff off you, you'd also sell this person the stuff. Besides, Airbus has got nothing to do with the governments that have got grudges against Syria.

[Edited 2005-12-03 14:47:59]
Not drinking, also isn't a solution!

dazeflight

Sat Dec 03, 2005 10:45 pm

Your fellow countrymen brought the politics into this thread. So go work on your reading comprehension and then come back.

Let's not be idealistic here. Boeing would sell to them in a heartbeat if they could. The difference is that the Government of the United States would frown on it, whereas the various governments of the EU try not to let little things like oppressive regimes keep them from making a Euro. The United States has less then a perfect record at times with the same thing.

Oh yes, and the holy US of A would never do business with opressing regimes... right. And you claim history as one of your hobbies?

ciao
Daniel

[Edited 2005-12-03 14:48:42]

bennett123

Sat Dec 03, 2005 10:53 pm

The problem with bringing politics into this topic, is that most countries have done something politically expedient in the past.

This means that anyone claiming the moral high ground is probably going to get flamed.

RobertS975

Sat Dec 03, 2005 10:56 pm

Quoting RoseFlyer (Reply 12):
That is an interesting issue. If selling Airbus planes to Syria violates a US trade embargo, then it won't happen. A good percentage of the components found on an A330 or A321 are American. Certain parts on the planes are only made by American companies and cannot be acquired elsewhere. If Airbus and the EU turn around and sell these goods to Syria, then there will be some reprocussions from the US government. The US government really does have the power to hurt the Syrian government and people. This is the purpose of a trade embargo. Yes it has detrimental affects on the people, but according to the United States, some actions of the Syrian government have negative affects on the United States and its allies. Syria could get all the Boeing planes that it could ever want if it conceded to what the United States demands.

So what prevents either leases or buying aircraft that are "previously owned"?

Leskova

Sat Dec 03, 2005 11:19 pm

Quoting RobertS975 (Reply 46):

It's not specifically the sale of new planes containing these parts that's prohibited, but the export of these parts: a sale of used planes or a lease would still include exporting these parts to Syria.

Regards,
Frank
Smile - it confuses people!

Amy

Sat Dec 03, 2005 11:34 pm

Thanks for admitting that in the final sentence, however I think you should be careful about calling european countries greedy. We are not. We just realise that if Syria is to develop they need some new aircraft and Airbus were kind enouh to sell them some. End.

No. There are too many Americans on this forum for that ever to happen.

Quoting PHXinterrupted (Reply 27):

Yep, another Airbus win based on politics.

Yep, and another Boeing loss based on politics. US politics. It's your fault not ours.

Quoting Scalebuilder (Reply 31):
Needles to say, you also need to realize that Boeing will have to overcome more political obstacales than Airbus does when it comes to securing orders from "questionable" nations.

Obstacles that the US themselves put in place. If you sanction a country you can't get moody when Airbus sell them aircraft. It's just childish.

The only thing I don't like here, is that whenever an US-American pisses on Europe some of you guys applaud, if we show you just facts, then we are called Anti-American. This is unfair and not realistic. If you can't bear the fact that Europe and other countries are as well able to built great aircraft, then just stay out of the forum.

checkmark 

Quoting ZSOFN (Reply 40):
I'm not anti-american, but here on a.net there is clearly an inconsistency.

checkmark 

Quoting SKA380 (Reply 41):
Congratulations to Airbus and Syrian!

Those A330's will look great in Syrian colours!

Leif

Finally something worth talking about! Yes I think these aircraft will look great, although I can imagine spotters having trouble differentiating them from Cyprus Aircraft at a distance, don't you think?
A340-300 - slow, but awesome!

roseflyer

Sat Dec 03, 2005 11:45 pm

Quoting RobertS975 (Reply 46):

As previously said, used items are still goods and can not be exported to Syria. It gets edgy when you get third parties involved like leasing companies, but if a country did anything to bring a banned item into Syria, then they could possibly face sanctions as well. It drastically hurt French American relations if Airbus sold planes with new American parts on them to Syria.

Quoting COSAMICLE (Reply 36):
The US has, in fact, placed sanctions on Syria. These only exempt food, medicine, and airplane PARTS.

Correct me if I am wrong as I mayu be because I haven't read the official sanction paperwork, but I believe that there are restrictions on airplane parts. The airplanes need to have been manufactured in the United States, and Syria would have needed to buy them from the United States when ties were still good. Replacement parts may be sold, but no new parts or things to refurbish the airplanes may be purchased. If the parts were on a plane manufactured in a foreign country, then this parts exemption does not apply. If if it was an American part on an Airbus plane, Syria cannot purchase replacement parts. This might be an issue in the future for their A320s. Parts shortages are not uncommon. Iranair is facing problems like that on their Airbus planes.

fraspotter

Sat Dec 03, 2005 11:49 pm

Quoting AeroPiggot (Reply 22):
And the French lack of political courage wins another deal for Airbus...

You better watch what you're saying....
"The strength of the turbulence is directly proportional to the temperature of your coffee."

— Gunter's Second Law of Air Travel

USAF336TFS

Sun Dec 04, 2005 12:09 am

Please show me where you read anything from me where I've said anything negative about Europe in general, and Airbus in particular? This was my favorite line "then just stay out of the forum". I've read many of your posts, and have admired your knowledge, so when I read this I was very surprised that such a well spoken individual would make such an immature statement! Let me save you the hassle... YOU WILL NOT FIND IT! What you will have found in most of my postings, is, while I'll readlily admit I'm a big Boeing fan, and a stockholder, I love most Airbus aircraft, especially the A330. And while I'll be the first to admit that most Americans and most Europeans see world events differently, and let's face it, we do, I would hope we all share the same goals. In that light, while I may not agree with your politics, I respect it. It would be nice, if that was returned. When the President of the United States is compared to Saddam, to me that crosses the line. I don't see any of my American friends comparing any current European leader to some of the despots of history, but believe me, in bars and social clubs around New York they are compared, and perhaps unfairly so.
I'm not going to sit here and be an apologist for the Bush Administration, but it amazes me that these discussions frequently turn into a contest of who hates Bush the most.
I don't have to tell you how often these A vs B debates turn into anti-American, anti-EU discussions. I don't participate in that, because it's just silly. I'm very proud of my European heritage and being an American of Italian decent.
Back to the subject, Boeing is doing very well this year, and, I doubt losing Syrian Air to Airbus is causing loss of sleep in Renton, WA or Washington DC.

Quoting Dazeflight (Reply 44):
Your fellow countrymen brought the politics into this thread. So go work on your reading comprehension and then come back.

I won't even dignify this gem of brainwork with a reponse.  sarcastic 

[Edited 2005-12-03 16:24:46]
336th Tactical Fighter Squadron, 4th Fighter Wing, Seymour Johnson AFB