Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ramerinianair
Topic Author

Good Spots At LAX And ATL?

Tue Dec 06, 2005 4:53 am

I will be traveling this week and have hefty layovers in LAX and ATL. I wanted to know if there are any good place to get on the internet and just watch planes? Are there some nice places to get something to eat and just sit for a few hours? I will be at LAX late at night for 5 hours and ATL in the morning for 3 hrs. Could I leave the airport?
Thanks,
SR
W N = my Worst Nightmare!!!!!

hawaiian717

RE: Good Spots At LAX And ATL?

Tue Dec 06, 2005 5:03 am

5 hours at LAX is probably long enough to leave if you wish. There are several different terminals and not all of them can be moved between. Which airline will you be on so we can be more specific? In general at LAX, if you go to the far end of each terminal you'll get the best views, since you'll be able to see various taxiing and departing/arriving aircraft.

N1120A

Tue Dec 06, 2005 5:05 am

Well Steve, it depends on how late you will be there. LAX has ops 24 hours a day, though between 0000 and 0600 or so, they operate completely over ocean, so In N Out and The Proud Bird are out of the question. Dockweiler State Beach closes at night and the lifeguards are pretty strict about kicking people off. In N Out is open until about midnight-1AM, so you can watch ops there and eat their famous burgers till the midnight switch over. As for internet, there are public internet kiosks in TBIT that are accessable pre-security, and they afford a nice view of some of the gates where you will see tons of 747 action in the evening. Additionally, there is plenty of food there.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

ramerinianair
Topic Author

Tue Dec 06, 2005 5:10 am

Thanks Alireza and HA717! I will be flying DL. I don't know if Security will let me go into Tom Bradley. Maybe I'll try to get into TBIT. Looks like Term 5 for me with DL.
SR

flyingdoc

Tue Dec 06, 2005 9:29 am

You have to leave the airside, out of the secured area, but it isn't a long walk from terminal 5 over to TBIT. I like sitting in the lounge upstairs where all the restaurants are. From there, you will see lots of various aircraft taxiing, taking off, and some landings. You can eat, have a pretty good view of aircraft, and see lots of interesting stuff. With 5 hours, you have plenty of time to leave terminal 5, head over to TBIT, and get back to Terminal 5 security.

N1120A

Tue Dec 06, 2005 9:45 am

Quoting RamerinianAir (Reply 3):
Thanks Alireza and HA717! I will be flying DL. I don't know if Security will let me go into Tom Bradley. Maybe I'll try to get into TBIT. Looks like Term 5 for me with DL.

You can go into any of the areas in TBIT worth seeing. In fact, it is the one terminal where you can really get something to eat outside security (the only other place in the airport that has anything is the Starbucks on the international arrivals level of Terminal 2.

Additionally, from T5, you can go to T6/7/8 inside of security.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

MakeMinesLAX

Tue Dec 06, 2005 11:06 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 5):
Additionally, from T5, you can go to T6/7/8 inside of security.

Does this mean the tunnels have been reopened?

ramerinianair
Topic Author

Tue Dec 06, 2005 12:50 pm

Is there internet access in TBIT. Is there free internet access at LAX anywhere? Thanks for the info guys please direct my to any good sites you know of.
Steven

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos