Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

aswissinmad

RE: Iberia, A Nightmare Airline!

Fri Dec 09, 2005 7:31 pm

You asked for our answers to post 45. Here's mine :

Quoting Bullpitt (Reply 45):

ASWISSinMAD I'm so sure swiss has great customer service but will they end up the same as swiss air? The way I see it I prefer to work for a s*it airline and bring home my wage every month than working for a great company that will send me to the dole Q.

IB employees smoking? Interesting because I have never seen it (has anybody else seen this?)

Personally I enjoy working for an airline that gives me the tools and training to do a good job. If the company is financially stable it's even better, but not a priority for me. I know that with my good mood and my experience I will always find a job at a decent airline.
The quality of service has nothing to do with the financial problems some airlines may experience. If that was the case, SR and AN for example would still be around, whereas IB, AZ and OA would have been long gone already.
I can't imagine spending a carreer at an airline where I have to face angry pax constantly. But then I guess it depends on each person's own aspirations and personality. Mine is not compatible with lousy service and snappy behaviour.

And about IB's employees smoking, I don't know in which office you hide, but just yesterday I saw one at the sales desk in T1 (an old blonde with short hair) ... and that's only one example... I've seen IB's staff smoking at gates and at sales desk while attending customers about 10 times in the last few months.

EZEIZA

Fri Dec 09, 2005 8:50 pm

Quoting Arcano (Reply 95):
MAD? well, MAD is mad... of there is any catogory of the worst of aviation, that must go to Barajas, awfully served, ugly,, extense, immigration queing of more than 1 hour.
MAD is bad bad bad, no words inventend to properly describe it, Madrid deserves much more!

Hola Arcano!
Did you really find MAD that bad? I have to disagree ... been there many times (lived for 13 years) and i really find MAD to be a good airport. The only major problem is when you have to walk between terminals for whatever reasons ... they need some intra airport rail or something, but other than that I find MAD a great airport.
saludos
Carp aunque ganes o pierdas ...

thowman

Fri Dec 09, 2005 11:26 pm

I have been reading this post for several days. The comments being made are very typical of the bashing that goes on here regarding Iberia. As we say in the UK, it's horses for courses.

Before I pass comments, I will say that I have lived and worked in Spain, mostly Madrid, on and off for a total of about 5 years since 1991, I speak fluent Spanish and I know how things work there. I love Spain, and the Spanish people, but there are still things that amaze me - being an anglo saxon person of birth and culture. Although I am a hispanofile, I am always going to find things unacceptable that are considered the norm in Spain.

The first thing that people should bear in mind is that Spain has a very different culture to the UK.

A typical example I would give is that if I were at a busy bar in Madrid, trying to buy some drinks, if I had my english hat on - I would never get served. If I stand there quietly waiting my turn - then someone else will always get in front of me. You have to make yourself seen and get the attention of the bar staff. Once you get into your head how things work - then the frustration goes.

Once you understand this, you then don't get frustrated that people smoke on the metro platforms, stand on both sides of the escalators and not on the right as the signs say, speak loudly in bars, don't stop for pedestrians at zebra crossings, accelerate instead of slowing down when traffic lights go amber and continue to go through red lights for another couple of seconds (my advice is to always look before crossing the road ESPECIALLY when the man goes green - I have seen someone run and killed right in front of me), park anywhere and double park, use the car horn continually as a method of communication. I could continue.... but I think that makes the point.

Spain is very much survival of the fittest and paying lip-service to rules. Enforcing a smoking ban I think would be impossible. Having worked in an american based car hire company in Madrid and seen the efforts they go to anglosaxonise the staff to their expectations of customer service - and believe it is the culture of the country that sets the level of expectation. It something that is going to take a long time to develop and cannot be change overnight. Love it or like it, that's the way it is in Spain. Take away all of this attitude and culture and Spain wouldn't be the place I love - and I hope it doesn't happen.

I genuinely believe that most Spanish people wouldn't have an issue with 90% of the things that go on in Iberia. Iberia is a Spanish airline and is based on Spanish culture and way of doing things. I know Spanish people that become indignant with things that have happened to them while travelling with Iberia, but there again I have had experiences with BA that haven't please me too much.

In the past 3 years I have flown on Iberia on about 50 occasions in economy and business. Recently I flew to BOG in business, and the crew were delightful and couldn't do enough to help me. I had the only seat in Business Plus that the power point wasn't working, but I didn't throw a wobbler and the purser took my laptop and charged it for me. Other times, the service has been truely appaling - but I don't judge IB by BA standards. I truly believe that Spanish people have a far low expectation of customer service. What in the past made my blood boil doesn't even make spanish friends flinch.

If you don't like this - then Anexbla is right - don't fly Iberia. That is a typical Spanish attitude or response.

If you don't like the way they do things in Spain and can't get your head around it - then don't live in Spain. Smoking is banned on metro stations in Madrid, but that rarely stops people from smoking there - even the security guards. That's the culture and that's the way it is. You are the customer and you have the choice where you spend your money.

I know if I fly Iberia that sometimes I'll get a great crew and other times they won't be so good. I accept that and continue to fly them and keep my stress levels low as a result.

MAD is a bit of a dog's ear of an airport, but LHR is also not so great. It will be a lot better when the new terminal finally opens, but that's what it is like.

Tranquilo, Eh!

Andy

rootsair

Sat Dec 10, 2005 12:04 am

Quoting Arcano (Reply 95):
MAD? well, MAD is mad... of there is any catogory of the worst of aviation, that must go to Barajas, awfully served, ugly,, extense, immigration queing of more than 1 hour.
MAD is bad bad bad, no words inventend to properly describe it, Madrid deserves much more!

Why do you think a brand new modern terminal will be inagurated on Jan 29th
A man without the knowledge of his past history,culture and origins is like a tree without roots

Arcano

Sat Dec 10, 2005 2:39 am

Quoting EZEIZA (Reply 101):
Hola Arcano!
Did you really find MAD that bad? I have to disagree

Well, not that bad, of course it's much more interesting than the Plumerillo in MDZ or La Florida in LSC, but for major international airports, I really hate it. I couldn't even get my tax refund (about US100) for the 3rd booth that I had to get an stamp at was closed, and the "solution" was to get out of the area, get stamped and do immi contro again! (after 1 hour, for there was only 1 control for 4 international flights departing at the time!).
Besides it's too wide, the gates does not match the terminals (123 vs. ABCDE)

Quoting Thowman (Reply 102):
Once you understand this, you then don't get frustrated that people smoke on the metro platforms, stand on both sides of the escalators and not on the right as the signs say

Funny thing about escalators, I love to see europeans standing at one side of them, I think I'm used to our cuoture that also uses the whole step...

Quoting RootsAir (Reply 103):
Why do you think a brand new modern terminal will be inagurated on Jan 29th

Let's pray

Quoting Bullpitt (Reply 99):
Arcano Hi, nice balance post you just made my respected list.

Gracias, amigo

Regards )(
in order: 721,146,732,763,722,343,733,320,772,319,752,321,88,83,744,332,100,738, 333, 318, 77W, 78, 773, 380, 73G, 788, 789, 346

Avianca
Topic Author

Sat Dec 10, 2005 10:46 am

First there is a customer service desk in terminal one there fore can you explain why you didn't try to get your information there?

yes there is one, I even managed too talk to an Iberia employe, here is what she responds too me

Quoting Avianca (Thread starter):
I went to the information desk and asked the IB lady, if she could help me...
the answer from her, if you can not find the flight and I can also not find the flight ....wow what a customer service....

One question how did you find out the flight was delayed?

good question, at least not from an iberia employe in frist step.

Quoting PA110 (Reply 52):
The responses from Anexbla and Bullpit are sadly typical of what's wrong at Iberia. Blame the passengers, blame the TV screens, blame other airlines for doing it better, but never ever accept any responsability whatsoever for IB's continual low ranking in customer service surveys.

totally agree

Quoting UN_B732 (Reply 68):
The lack of choice, and Iberia's low fares which make it difficult to choose another airline, when it is often times hard enough for your low-yield pax to afford a ticket to go back home.

totally agree.

regards
Avianca
Colombia es el Mundo Y el Mundo es Colombia

anxebla

Sat Dec 10, 2005 11:03 am

The lack of choice is a lie, so simple like that.

From Germany to CCS you may choice among IB, AF (via CDG), LH, AA (via MIA) LH/S Barbara (connection at MAD) or even I think AC via YYZ

Opening a monthly anti-IB thread is funny or is it...intelligent???  Silly
Must I to open frequently an anti-KLM thread just cos I dislike KLM???
AIRBUS 320 The world's most advanced single-aisle aircraft

cedars747

Sat Dec 10, 2005 11:11 am

Iberia is like all other airlines ,have good and bad thing .in june i hade a bad experience with EK and they are ranked as one of the top ten in the world
Tengo una pasion por la aviacion /لدي شغف للطيران / I have a passion for aviation /Jeg har en lidenskap for luftfart/ J'ai une passion pour l'aviation.

mkirch72

Sat Dec 10, 2005 12:06 pm

Spain is very much survival of the fittest and paying lip-service to rules. Enforcing a smoking ban I think would be impossible. Having worked in an american based car hire company in Madrid and seen the efforts they go to anglosaxonise the staff to their expectations of customer service - and believe it is the culture of the country that sets the level of expectation. It something that is going to take a long time to develop and cannot be change overnight. Love it or like it, that's the way it is in Spain. Take away all of this attitude and culture and Spain wouldn't be the place I love - and I hope it doesn't happen.

THOWMAN --- very well said. I too have lived and worked in and around Madrid and it can be very frustrating. My first encounter with the Spanish disregard for posted rules was on a Cercanias train between Alcala de Henares and Madrid. There she was -- an elegant Spanish lady smoking her Fortunas right in front of the "Prohibido Fumar" sign.

Your understanding of the Spanish mindset is right on and I certainly hope those bashing IB read it in detail to get a better understanding as well.

reins485

Sun Dec 11, 2005 12:31 am

I have flown with IB 4 times in the last 4 months and I have another flight with them later this month when I go home after studying for a semester in Spain.
One transatlantic flight from ORD to MAD.
I went from MAD-CDG-MAD about a month ago and I just got back from Germany and my first leg from MAD to GVA (Geneva?).
In ORD, I am pretty sure AA handles all their ground staff including gate agents. When I went to CDG check-in was easy and painless. I had to actually go to the airport the day before with my friend to switch the credit card on the tickets from her dad's to her's b/c she didn't have his with her. The agent was helpful and it hardly took anytime. Though she told me she called the airline and that the person she talked to wasn't helpful. I don't know if they handle their own flights in CDG but that was just as easy as any flight I have checked in for in the US. And then when I went to Germany, I had bought my tickets from LX and all my flights had LX numbers. I checked in at the metro station in MAD, quick and very easy with no wait or problems once the agent understood that I was flying on IB. I don't blame them if they don't know all the code share flight numbers.
I have never seen a gate agent smoking on any of the fights I have taken from MAD, I did see today though a passport inspector light one up.
I have no problems flying with them and I am happy to do so and of all the flights I have taken in my life time, none of these seem anymore painful than the rest.

jrebel

Sun Dec 11, 2005 11:37 pm

Quoting A3EDU (Reply 10):
The problem of IB is not just the service, is the attitude of their people.

http://www.airlinequality.com/AirlineWatch/ftr_IB_1.htm

Johan

us330

Mon Dec 12, 2005 12:59 am

This post is not related to Iberia, but of an interesting contrast in experiences that I had flying home from Seville to Dallas with an overnight connection (and airport transfer) in London.

"Fair enough I suppose, but the metal detector was set to such a level that it was set off by watches and a chain around my neck and it necessitated taking off belts and shoes and was far more exhausting that US security (I'm not opposed to security by the way - just the attitude of the staff.)"

I was flying home no more than two weeks after the London bombings, and going through Seville security, I was basically forced to strip down.
What's funny is that I went through security at Gatwick wearing almost the exact same thing and got through seemlessly.

luisde8cd

Mon Dec 12, 2005 2:32 am

Once you understand this, you then don't get frustrated that people smoke on the metro platforms, stand on both sides of the escalators and not on the right as the signs say, speak loudly in bars, don't stop for pedestrians at zebra crossings, accelerate instead of slowing down when traffic lights go amber and continue to go through red lights for another couple of seconds (my advice is to always look before crossing the road ESPECIALLY when the man goes green - I have seen someone run and killed right in front of me), park anywhere and double park, use the car horn continually as a method of communication. I could continue.... but I think that makes the point.

Man for a minute I thought you were talking about Venezuela... that paragraph sounds so Venezuelan, no wonder we were part of the Spanish Kingdom a couple hundred years ago.

Sometimes I think that if we had been discovered/colonized by the British Empire, we wouldn't be a developing country, but on the other hand I'm very happy and proud of my Latino culture and lifestyle which in my opinion is way more fun that the anglosaxon one.

Saludos desde Caracas,
Luis

StuckInCA

Mon Dec 12, 2005 2:54 am

Quoting Anxebla (Reply 106):
Opening a monthly anti-IB thread is funny or is it...intelligent???

No less intelligent than reading it when you find it UNintelligent and a waste of time.

Must I to open frequently an anti-KLM thread just cos I dislike KLM???

Surely you can if you like. My guess is there would not be the same overall level of disdain for KLM as there is for IB.

A340600

Mon Dec 12, 2005 3:09 am

Quoting Anxebla (Reply 12):
Sometimes may have some delay, but the "Puente aéreo" service is the World's best air shuttle

Personally, I prefer BA's offering on the LON-MAN shuttle route, hot breakfast served on early morning flights really makes the difference!

Quoting Pdpsol (Reply 44):
BA passengers are 'supposed' to 'not notice' any difference between IB and BA-operated flights.

This is where I get a bit annoyed. Pax pay the same to fly on IB through BA codeshare yet what's offered onboard is very different.

Quoting Anxebla (Reply 85):
Quite old??? The oldest IB A-340 is 10 years old. The IB average long-haul fleet is pretty new. Maybe you can dislike about service but saying the plane was quite old is telling lies. Sometimes people have no idea when they are talking about planes or the airline business.

I can see where he's coming from though. I have flown that 340, EC-GGS, with a number of fellow anetters and the inside was the pitts. At least they plan to recover the seats etc on this aircraft soon because it really needs it!

Overall, I wasn't impressed with IB and the main thing that really annoys me is the LCC catering. They are supposed to be a world class airline yet have opted to charge for all food and drink, even on 3:30 flights to the Canary Islands from MAD where even a drink would have been appreciated.

The first crew I had were ok, they did their jobs etc. On the way back though they seemed to go to their numerous crew rest areas all over the aircraft and not make an appearence for a couple of hours. It all just felt lazy and tacky.

I really hope IB pick it up, they offer fantastic fares, shame the service doesn't seem to come with it. It was a relief that I flew EZY back to London, a big sigh of relief after IB,

Cheers,

Sam
Despite the name I am a Boeing man through and through!

anxebla

Mon Dec 12, 2005 3:17 am

Quoting StuckInCA (Reply 113):
when you find it UNintelligent

Its UNintelligent because many people even dont know which are speaking about. Many people are talking about IB and NEVER they have flown IB. Here you an example:

Quoting UN_B732 (Reply 77):
Quite honestly, I've never flown Iberia.

At least, UN_B732 is being honest

...but I'm sure there are many a.netters who never and NEVER have flown IB ...and they talk and talk about IB.
Go to "trip reports" forum and check it by yourself. Of course IB is not a wonderful airline, but I think (and many people as well) they are not a real mediocre airline.

cedars747

Mon Dec 12, 2005 3:29 am

I flew Iberia BUE-MAD and it was much better than expected .I even asked an hostess for an amenity kit and for my surprise she gave me an first class kit(sometimes flying turn to be a lottery)it really depends on the mood of the crew
Tengo una pasion por la aviacion /لدي شغف للطيران / I have a passion for aviation /Jeg har en lidenskap for luftfart/ J'ai une passion pour l'aviation.

anxebla

Mon Dec 12, 2005 3:34 am

Quoting A340600 (Reply 114):
even on 3:30 flights to the Canary Islands from MAD

Please, remove one hour  Wink

It was a relief that I flew EZY back to London, a big sigh of relief after IB

OK, Sam ...you are free to choose EZY if you prefer them over IB.
And the next time, why not travelling UX/JK to go to Canary Islands?? Free competition is wonderful ...and fortunately there are a lot of competition, at least within Spain and within Europe.

A340600

Mon Dec 12, 2005 7:36 am

Quoting Anxebla (Reply 117):
OK, Sam ...you are free to choose EZY if you prefer them over IB.
And the next time, why not travelling UX/JK to go to Canary Islands?? Free competition is wonderful ...and fortunately there are a lot of competition, at least within Spain and within Europe.

Wasn't possible in this situation. Part of the Anet MAD meet- we all stayed in MAD and went to LPA for the day, throwing in the 340,

Sam

777Purser

Mon Dec 12, 2005 7:58 am

I always hear horrible things about IB, but I have flown ORY-BCN and puente aereo and while I cannot recall anyhting outstanding about them I have honestly nothing to complain about them. On the other hand, I have flown LA and both ground staff in SCL ans LIM were horrible, I hated the service and found the FA's lazy.

Aisak

Mon Dec 12, 2005 8:11 am

This is where I get a bit annoyed. Pax pay the same to fly on IB through BA codeshare yet what's offered onboard is very different.

And that's where I get annoyed too... I mean, why on earth would you choose to fly IB being able to do it with the marvelous put-a-name-here? (unless you're nuts)

There's the same on another post... One guy got a ticket on BA for LHR-MAD for 120 pounds and he chose a 210 pounds with IB and was made to pay for a cup, not a bottle, of water.... That's a little incredible.. BECAUSE OF THE GUY'S CHOICE (info here

Fortunately there are two more choices (even more) for Spanish domestic flights who are UX and JK who, guess what.. they also charge for food, and even before IB did.

Not to mention European routes where the choice of carrier is unmeasurably(have I just made this word up? ) higher

[Edited 2005-12-12 00:50:06]

legacy135

Mon Dec 12, 2005 8:35 am

Quoting Aisak (Reply 120):
One guy got a ticket on BA for LHR-MAD for 120 pounds and he chose a 210 pounds with IB and was made to pay for a cup, not a bottle, of water.... That's a little incredible.. BECAUSE OF THE GUY'S CHOICE

This with the pay-for-food is a story of itself. IB as also LX a while ago started to behave as LCC but did not realize that they never can compete with them. Just asking money for food is not what makes a LCC, a LCC has cheap structures and this is something National Carriers with world wide networks as IB or LX never can compete with.

LX in the meantime realized this and is back to free food for everybody, although this free food is never to be compared what we got served in the SR days.

I personally don't mind that much to pay for food, as long as this food is of a superior quality. This cheese sandwich I bought on IB was several days old and still good for maybe two or three more.... I could read this on the package. The bread tasted like the sponge I wash my car with, the cheese tasted like rubber and if you think there was anything else in, like maybe butter, salad or even sauce, then you are wrong. Frankly, it was horrible and I would never buy it again. I prefer to buy a nice sandwich in the airport and take it to the flight.
I just remember LX, when they sold food: As chocolate they had stuff like KitKat or Snikkers on, Hey Switzerland is the country of real good chocolate and they sold us that  yuck 

Here is lots to do, but the airlines, IB as many others just could look how they did 15 years ago and I am sure, passengers would also realize a difference and with this a reason to fly anything else than a LCC. Otherwise they just get those passengers who did not get a cheap seat on the LCC or these, who connect to the longrange. The result is obvious with most of our legacy carriers: The long range is highly profitable and the short range deeply in the red figures.

Cheers
Legacy135 Wink

A3EDU

Mon Dec 12, 2005 7:41 pm

Hola Bullpit!

Sorry but Catalans we do feel Spanish as well, like it or not. As Spanish, I can tell you I feel ASHAMED when I have to suffer continuously Puente Aereo and Iberia level of service in general.

If you still believe that Puente Aereo is a great service, I invite you to use it frequently. As a prove I can forward you all the emails that Iberia sends apologizing everytime the flight is delayed. I have at least the ones from the last 3 weeks (BCN-MAD AND MAD-BCN). The average delay has been 50 minutes in a 45' flight. Those are the facts and that do not depend on being or not Catalan. In a way, does not surprise me that you work for IB.

Unless IB employees recognize the situation and start WORKING to improve it, the company situation will get worse and worse. I hope you realize the future is on you own hands.

A3EDU

richardw

Mon Dec 12, 2005 8:31 pm

11th December 2005 IB4137 LHR-Santiago de Compostela, was severely delayed, didn't depart LHR until about 22:00, and because it is part of a W, Bilbao-LHR-Santiago-LHR-Bilbao, how were the rest of the sectors, were they completed with relief aircraft?

DBCooper

Mon Dec 12, 2005 9:07 pm

I worked in MAD earlier this year for 4 months and took Iberia several times to/from the USA as well as AA to/from MIA and easyjet to/from BRS.

IB flights (biz class) were generally fine - had a powerport not working in one direction once MAD->ORD and a 1-hour delay once MAD->ORD. I do wish the new interiors had been installed, but that appears to be well under way, now.

easyjet at MAD were OK too. Even AA was OK.

I think the bigger problem is the airport at MAD - which I know will see improvements in a month or two. Lots of walking, lots of stairs, lots of lines, lots of people smoking (yes, even IB employees). Fix that and I suspect a lot of IB "problems" will sort themselves out.

- DBC

P.S. I did learn to avoid IB 744s and 346s. Both were having severe mechanical problems when I was in MAD this year.

Rotate

Mon Dec 12, 2005 10:22 pm

I ve flown several times with IB, overall I have mixed feelings with them ....
The last flight I took was MAD - DUS.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Rotate

You can read the caption  Smile

Robin
ABC

BCNGRO

Mon Dec 12, 2005 10:47 pm

Quoting A3EDU (Reply 122):
Unless IB employees recognize the situation and start WORKING to improve it, the company situation will get worse and worse. I hope you realize the future is on you own hands.

I don't think they will. They have been the only ones here for a long time and they are not used to compete. I am afraid they won't learn until they hit their head on the wall.

Quoting A3EDU (Reply 122):
Sorry but Catalans we do feel Spanish as well, like it or not.

Hey, I don't!  no  You should say "some".  Wink
At the bus station, buses stop. At the train station, trains stop. At my desk, I have a work station.

Fermarta

Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:09 pm

Quoting BCNGRO (Reply 126):
They have been the only ones here

We don't have flights to/from Andorra.  Wink
Otros vendrán que bueno te harán

abrelosojos

Tue Dec 13, 2005 12:20 am

This debate is interesting with all the Spaniards defending IB. Go check the current results on how IB is doing in the WORST AIRLINE SERVICE awards for the European region ... I dont think most people would be too shocked ...  Smile

Vote at 1st Annual Worst Major Airline Service Award (by Abrelosojos Dec 9 2005 in Aviation Polls & Prefs)

Cheers,
A.
Live, and let live.

Avianca
Topic Author

Tue Dec 13, 2005 5:04 am

From Germany to CCS you may choice among IB, AF (via CDG), LH, AA (via MIA) LH/S Barbara (connection at MAD) or even I think AC via YYZ

you have even more choices, DL via ATL, AZ via MXP or FCO.
As I know SBarabara is not selling seats on the german market, the true is that IB has mostly much more cheaper fares than all other options.

bullpitt

Tue Dec 13, 2005 5:46 am

BCNGRO

As usual you talk S*it There has been competition in the Spanish market for many years now and IB are still leaders. The combinations to go to North, Central and South America are many and IB is still leader.

By the looks of things and the way things are going for other companies I think IB has proven it can compete and will do so. The war has just started we'll see who is left standing up a few years from now.  box 

A3EDU

You must be very unlucky for most pap the puente aereo works fine, I suggest you start using the other options available and see how you go.  snaggletooth 

By the way. If they sent you E-mails of apology then we seem to be doing some customer service?  silly  That's very un IB,  sarcastic  I must tell customer service to stop this at once.
These are my principles but if you don't like them I have others

anxebla

Tue Dec 13, 2005 6:39 am

Quoting Avianca (Reply 129):
you have even more choices, DL via ATL, AZ via MXP or FCO.

Then ...you're telling that I'm right when I was saying you're a bit liar if you say there is not competition. Read you to yourself:

Quoting UN_B732 (Reply 68):
The lack of choice

Quoting Avianca (Reply 105):
totally agree.

My response:

The lack of choice is a lie, so simple like that.

And then, you say: >""you have even more choices, DL via ATL, AZ via MXP or FCO""< PLEASE ...don't make a fool of yourself  Angry

On the other hand, there are people who think IB is more than OK:

Quoting Cedars747 (Reply 116):
I flew Iberia BUE-MAD and it was much better than expected

Quoting 777Purser (Reply 119):
I always hear horrible things about IB, but I have flown ORY-BCN and puente aereo and while I cannot recall anyhting outstanding about them I have honestly nothing to complain about them. On the other hand, I have flown LA and both ground staff in SCL ans LIM were horrible, I hated the service and found the FA's lazy.

....and those are not the uniques one  Wink

Anyhow, to me, this subject is already finished.

Avianca
Topic Author

Fri Dec 16, 2005 6:46 am

Quoting Anxebla (Reply 131):
Then ...you're telling that I'm right when I was saying you're a bit liar if you say there is not competition. Read you to yourself:

there is competition regarding different airlines, but not really competition regarding the fares at least from german market.

abrelosojos

Fri Dec 16, 2005 7:45 am

I cannot believe this is post 133! Anyways, it seems Iberia has a CLEAR lead in the worst airline awards. Check out for yourself.

-A.
Live, and let live.

charvett

Fri Dec 16, 2005 3:02 pm

Dear Fellows:

Yes, for sure... IBERIA leads the WORST AIRLINE AWARDS!!! When I was furloughed from my airline company in SJU; I decided to join the subcontracted company that handles the service for IBERIA in SJU. Just for " keeping at the industry" (this was my major, and the worst professional error commited which I'll regret forever. This inspired me on orienting people... specially recent graduated students from the aviation industry that before applying to a handling company, first check upon REFERENCES at the US Department of Labor). What we found? Well, that can be double checked with other NINE (!!) people that just resigned (including me) after just 6 months into the job. First than all, a silly, unprepared, and unprofessional IBERIA supervisor that told everyone and made clear that she is the ONE employed by IBERIA and we all were simple and inferior second class handlers and because of this we were supposed to do whatever she wants because she says so... including forcing employees to break basic laws at US Customs. Also was her custom the use of improper language and manners towards us, contrary to the most basic laws from the US Department of Labor. She was reprimanded by her superiors but it went to nowhere; remember, in this country that's a felony. I was told she got this job because her sister works for IBERIA at a higher position. Not counting NO other airline wants her at their staff, according to a station manager from another airline in SJU... see the link. What she didn't know was that some of us recorded the insults and offenses by opening the lines on cellphones in our pockets with the voicemail mode recording the conversation. They are kept safe in a box at the bank. Then, we had her boss, a old senile man who runs the station as his pretorian guard, believing that IBERIA belongs to him. Finnally we had our immediate "Agent-in-Charge" a poor mediocre woman that had no education, nor experience upon Supervision or Labor Relations that acted as the supervisor's puppet; usually giving training to people in a very insulting manner after mistakes were made, not before they can be avoided. How can a new employee perform a good job if no formal training were ever performed. Just routine "chats" at the Supervisor's discretion because she dictated who was "short minded" and who was not. Dear fellows, is this the correct manner an airline or an airline station is run? I can be writting pages the whole night about the abusive environment I witnessed there. For a miserable $5.35/Hr. which here is the minimum salary at this state...less the $10.00 penalty that we lost in our banks because checks kept bouncing back. I resigned (with other 8 employees...90% of their staff) and was unemployed for two more months. Then my airline recalled me. During my refresher training, I used some of these examples as exercises upon not what to do; and giving our customers the best quality of our product and service. I work with people that are the "best of the best"; highly professional and trained... working for one of the most prestigious airlnes in the world. I've been given the highest ranks, and being mentioned as one of their best employees (as a matter of fact; the 8 others that resigned works with very prestigious and major carriers, and had received great rankings in their departments). The management at IBERIA in SJU... still there! BUT, what ever goes up... eventually goes down... they never gets closer to me; what are they afraid of... Travelling with IBERIA...NEVER!!! I know the company veeeery much, inside and out... I respect my life too! Working for them... a third class stoneage airline like this... no thank's. If I ever become furloughed again... I'll be better at
Mc Donald's!

bullpitt

Sat Dec 17, 2005 3:31 am

What a load of S*it.
These are my principles but if you don't like them I have others

abrelosojos

Sat Dec 17, 2005 3:49 am

Quoting Bullpitt (Reply 135):
What a load of S*it.

= Do you have to use this language? A person is expressing their opinion. Thats it.

-A.
Live, and let live.

rmcf

Sat Dec 17, 2005 3:58 am

Quoting Charvett (Reply 134):
unprepared, and unprofessional IBERIA supervisor

If one person in IB is stupid it doens't means it's a crap airline. Ok not the best service, but in every single airline you will find unprofesional people.

And please! don't restart this topic: we know that 99% of A.netters think IB is crap! And we all know you like to express yourself. But now the topic is quite boring...Always the same arguments!
It's just what I think!
bye! rmcf

BTW, IB is giving out questionnaires in their flights...We'll maybe expect an improvement of the so-called deficient, arrogant and nightmare airline of SPAIN!

pilot kaz

Sat Dec 17, 2005 4:05 am

The first crew I had were ok, they did their jobs etc. On the way back though they seemed to go to their numerous crew rest areas all over the aircraft and not make an appearance for a couple of hours. It all just felt lazy and tacky.

Not to mention Pax treating the cabin like a pub and disrupting other pax, where was the crew? What crew LOL, I don't even recall seeing them checking the cabin prior to take of...

I still have nightmares about that flight! lol  Sad
-

A340600

Sat Dec 17, 2005 4:29 am

Quoting Rmcf (Reply 137):
If one person in IB is stupid it doens't means it's a crap airline. Ok not the best service, but in every single airline you will find unprofesional people.

And please! don't restart this topic: we know that 99% of A.netters think IB is crap! And we all know you like to express yourself. But now the topic is quite boring...Always the same arguments!

But it isn't one person, it's a lot of staff, i've flown with them few times, but even then i've met many more than 1 who were quite frankly terrible.

Quoting Rmcf (Reply 137):
BTW, IB is giving out questionnaires in their flights...We'll maybe expect an improvement of the so-called deficient, arrogant and nightmare airline of SPAIN!

Well, let's hope they have some effect and IB finally start to realise their mistakes and start attempting to right them,

Cheers,

Sam

LX23

Thu Dec 29, 2005 8:03 am

After having done a few more sectors on IB to Latin America, I have to admit that IB's economy service to Latin America could certainly still use some improvement. However, the biggest problem I had with them in my last 4 flights (2 of them on the new Business Class, one on their old Business, and one in Economy) was at MAD.
Our flight from LatAm arrived late in MAD, and we missed our connecting flight to LHR. After being rebooked on the "next available flight" (almost five hours later), we were given a voucher for a sandwich and a drink. Then, about 20 minutes before boarding, we went to the TV screens and the TV that was meant to show our gate wasn't working...so we went to the IB Customer Service Kiosk, and when we asked the only Customer Service Agent there if she could tell us our gate, she said "look at the screen" and kept reading her magazine to which I replied "we did, but its not working". Her answer: "That's not my problem", and she literally walked out and away from us!
While I must admit that things have improved somewhat for Iberia (their staff at SJO, for example were incredibly good - though they were wearing TACA insignias as well), I feel that IB still has a long ways to go. This is reflected in my choice for my next trip: AF.

JAVOMD88

Thu Dec 29, 2005 11:16 pm

Hi,

IBERIA has always been a nightmare!

I would personally never fly them again. Last time in Madrid, i flew UX(Air Europa) to Barcelona and back to connect to MEX on AM and excellent! I would always prefer UX or Spanair all the way.

Seeya!

JAVO737NG.
aeromexico.....the only true carrier of mexico

Toulouse

Thu Dec 29, 2005 11:52 pm

IB are certainly not the best out there, but nor are they the worst. I admit all my Iberia experience is on domestic Spanish and intra-European flights, but I've always found them to be fine. What amazes me most are the comments regarding the cabin crews, who I have nearly always found to be very friendly and professional. Yes they are a little "relaxed", but that's the Spanish way of doing things, don't interpret this as a lack of efficiency.
As a child flying between DUB and Spain, the crews, while the service DID leave a lot to desire back then (some 20 years ago), were always great with young flyers such as myself. Come the mid 80's and things drastically began to improve. New aircraft, crews became more professional...
I have had a couple of problems with IB, such as taking a late night cheap IB charter service to DUB from MAD in early July about ten years ago (for those that don't know, thousands of Spanish kids head to Ireland every summer to learn English, and at the beginning/end of July and August some departure boards in Spanish airports look more like a domestic Irish airport). Anyway, go to MAD around 11pm for my 1am departure to DUB, there were about 15 flights heading to DUB that night, but no mention of my flight, check-in staff had no idea regarding the flight, yet the system allowed them issue boarding passes, went to departures area, nobody had a clue about our flight, about an hour late, our flight suddenly appeared for "IMMEDIATE BOARDING". According to the crew they had been waiting on a remote stand all the time, but for some reason the flight wasn't on the system and had been forgotten about... how true this is I don't know, but we got to DUB only about an hour late.
My pregnant (Spanish) wife had an incident recently at MAD, I posted here, but don't know if it was AENA's or Iberia's fault, but both just blamed the other.
Back in the 80's had many long delays on IB flights from DUB.
Had a couple of very long delays on flights to and from ZRH.
Apart from that, all my flights have been fine, and while I fly Iberia a lot less now (except for Air Nostrum (Iberia Regional), which are incredibly good), I like Iberia.
Long live Aer Lingus!

archie

Fri Dec 30, 2005 9:18 am

I flew Iberia once and it will be the last as long as I have other options.

It was in April 2003, MEX-ORD-MAD. The first part was on AA, the second on IB. Flight departed like more than hour late. Service was so so, they served dinner and FA did not come back until an hour before landing to give out immigration forms and a little breakfast. Seat pitch was terrible (A340-300) But that`s not the worst part. The worst came on my return to MEX.

I was supposed to return on AA all the way back, but I changed the day of my flight and so they changed my route. Instead of MAD-MIA-MEX it was the same as the first flight (but opposite direction of course jaja), MAD-ORD-MEX. I arrived at the AA check in 2.5 hours before. After 1 hour in line they told me that since the first part of the flight is operated by IB I had to check in with them. So I took my stuff and saw that the line wasn`t too bad, so it should be fast...big mistake. The check in people were SLOOOOOOOOW. After 1 hour, I did not even get to the counter when I heard someone on the loudspeaker say "Last call for all paseengers on IB flight #### to ORD, please come to counter number ####". So I took all my stuff again, went running over there wher a guy saw my ticket and said he couldn`t give me my boarding pass because my ticket was still the old one. I asked him where I have to change it and he said AA. I told him that I waited an hour at AA and they told me IB, and now IB says it`s AA. So he said go to ticket sales for IB, they can change it. So I go there and the lady said "I can`t change this for you"....long story short, I missed my flight because nobody knew who has to change what (sad part is they code share, they should be able to do it). I finaly go to ticket sales for AA and they had no other flights for that day to MEX on either AA or IB. So I said "Just give me something in AM". Fortunately they had some space and my ticket was changed (funny how AM had nothing to do with the flight but were able to change it, and IB and AA codeshare but they can`t change from one to the other). The line was long at AM, I thought "oh no", but in like 10 minutes I had my boarding pass (that is efficiency!!). The flight was wonderful, direct, good leg room, FA were coming by constantly to see if I needed something. It was worthe the extra money!!!!.

Hope IB changes their customer service to a friendlier one. I love spain and spanish people, but IB is not representative of that.

Regards,
Archie.

CO7e7

Fri Dec 30, 2005 10:16 am

It sounds to me like the main problem with IB is Lack of Professional training for their employees....!! Is that it ?? Or are there other factors ?

AeroMexico777

Wed Jan 04, 2006 12:44 am

Quoting Archie (Reply 143):
The line was long at AM, I thought "oh no", but in like 10 minutes I had my boarding pass (that is efficiency!!). The flight was wonderful, direct, good leg room, FA were coming by constantly to see if I needed something. It was worthe the extra money!!!!.

That´s why I love flying MAD in AM... Maybe old and small airplanes but good (NOT excellent) service...

REGARDS and HAPPY NEW YEAR FOR ALL

AeroMexico777
"When the hope of dying becomes the only reason to live..." Die Laughing (Gothic), Safe little world.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos