Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Avianca
Topic Author

Iberia, A Nightmare Airline!

Wed Dec 07, 2005 6:28 am

Hi all,

I traveled last saturday from FRA via MAD to CCS.

Well the flight from FRA to MAD was really ok, without any problem.
The probs started in MAD, after landing the crew of the FRA-MAD flight, announced the gate for the CCS leg, so far no problem.
Well I tooked the bus and transferred to Terminal A, arrived there the flight was not announced at the TV with all departure flights, I went directly to the gate a total different flight was shown. (No IB personal to help)

I went to the information desk and asked the IB lady, if she could help me...
the answer from her, if you can not find the flight and I can also not find the flight ....wow what a customer service....

After some minutes at least I found out that the flight was delayed for 7 hours, but IB did not get any information on the TV system or via loudspeaker...

So I transferred to Terminal B were the customer-service desk from IB is located, wow 1 person was there to help at least 50 passengers...well after more than 1 hour we get the information that we receive a dinner...

but further without any information, after the dinner the passengers get the information that the flight will depart now confirmed 7 hours later... but that no other vouchers for telephone or at least a bottle of water was given ...

finally flight departed 8 hours later with nearly 350 frustrated passengers (100 of them lost there connection flights in CCS as we arrived 1:00 am local time), and a poor crew service was provided...

My resume of this IB flight, IB has really the unkindliest personal and worst customer-service in the complete industry.

regards
Avianca

[Edited 2005-12-06 22:47:09]
Colombia es el Mundo Y el Mundo es Colombia

KLM685

RE: Iberia, A Nightmare Airline!

Wed Dec 07, 2005 6:49 am

No surprises. I feel sorry for the passengers that lost their connections, hopefully they won't have a problem like that again anymore.

Cheers

Alonsou
KLM- The Best Airline in the World!

kappel

RE: Iberia, A Nightmare!

Wed Dec 07, 2005 6:49 am

Quoting Avianca (Thread starter):
IB has really the unkindliest personal and worst customer-service in the complete industry

Actually, over the summer I had a good experience with IB personnel, both on the ground and in the air. This was at BCN though, maybe that makes a differnce, but I found them to be friendly and helpfull. They need to address their punctuality though. I had four flights, all four were delayed for over an hour, with no explanation and forcing an overnight stay in BCN. (nice hotel though, too bad we had to get up so early)

[Edited 2005-12-06 22:51:16]
L1011,733,734,73G,738,743,744,752,763,772,77W,DC855,DC863,DC930,DC950,MD11,MD88,306,319,320,321,343,346,ARJ85,CR7,E195

UN_B732

Wed Dec 07, 2005 6:54 am

Hopefully IB will clean their act up, as I have read about them, they need to improve their front-line (employees, what Mr. Joe Customer sees) to improve the product desireability overall.
-Mr. X
What now?

TriStar500

Wed Dec 07, 2005 4:13 pm

Having only flown IB on domestic and European routes, my personal impression is that they are OK on such short stage lengths - while there is hardly any service inside the cabin for us poor Peasant Class passengers anymore, from my personal experience they have at least increased their punctuality.

I cannot speak for long-haul though, although your story pretty much mirrors the bad experiences of quite a few other people I know.
Homer: Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!

Knightsofmalta

Wed Dec 07, 2005 5:46 pm

Well I always thought Iberia were rubbish. What cracks me up every time is that all their ground staff seem to smoke-at work. Recently I checked in at BCN airport at the self-service device, which of course could not find my booking, and was assisted by some old IB employee who refused to remove the burning cigarette from his mouth while he talked to me. Then I arrived in MAD and the agent attending my departure gate was also smoking. She didn't even stop during the boarding process.

Other than that, the check-in agents don't know the layout of their planes, or they simply don't care.

il75

Wed Dec 07, 2005 5:58 pm

I have had lots of bad experiences of Iberia. Every trip to Latin America is a source of unwanted surprises and minor inconveniences. The help you can get at Barajas is minimal and the attitude of the staff, both in the cabin or at the airport, is not the best.

But I always end flying to Latin America with IB. Their fares, at least flying economy class, are in my experience the lowest. And that by far.

I suppose you get what you pay. I endure and I am happy I saved 200 or 300 dollars I can make better use of at my destination.

Best regards
Erico

P.S.: And now they are flying modern A320 and A340/600 instead of the rather old birds (Md-80 and 747-300) they were flying before.

aswissinmad

Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:19 pm

Working at MAD's terminal 1 (where most int'l IB flights leave from), it's quite a daily entertainment to observe IB's "Informacion" desk, where they are supposed to take care of mis-connections....

It usually comprises of 2 or 3 "Red Jackets" (these are supposed to be la Creme de la Creme of IB's customer service agents... what a laugh... they're so clueless and rude) and 500 pax standing in a disorderly queue (with no desk for C-cl pax of course) shouting and pushing to get served first. Usually you also have a couple of elderly, exhausted pax sitting on the floor helplessly waiting for a help that will never come.

They codeshare with my airline, and as the operating carrier must (by contract) take care of our pax should our joint flight be cancelled... yeah right... but that's only after making the pax wait 2 hours at their counters, sending them to us (telling them they're not their customers anyway), us calling them 5 times and finally going there personally to talk to a supervisor, who after some nerve-wrecking discussions will accept to provide minumum service.
No wonder the codeshare ends mid-January ... we're actually counting the days....

From my long experience with IB I have yet to hear a positive comment about them from a real paying pax (and not an IB employee writing positive reviews in forums).

kiwiandrew

Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:26 pm

Quoting ASWISSinMAD (Reply 7):
It usually comprises of 2 or 3 "Red Jackets" (these are supposed to be la Creme de la Creme of IB's customer service agents... what a laugh... they're so clueless and rude) and 500 pax standing in a disorderly queue (with no desk for C-cl pax of course) shouting and pushing to get served first. Usually you also have a couple of elderly, exhausted pax sitting on the floor helplessly waiting for a help that will never come.

reminds me of a complaint letter one of my Corporate agents recieved from one of her clients after a first class RTW on Oneworld about three years aog - most of the trip went smoothly , but she had one longhaul on IB and a couple of intra-Europe sectors - and they did not go at all well - can't remember all the details - but the one thing that has stood out in my memory was the clients description of IB premium check-in staff as "surly warthogs in uniforms" - a wonderful image , don't you think ?

EI747SYDNEY

Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:46 pm

No surprise to me with Iberia.

Tell me after all the delays etc what was the IFE like for the journey home?

Rob wave 
''Live life on the edge, Live each and every day like it's your last, Hell you only live once''

A3EDU

Wed Dec 07, 2005 9:04 pm

Totally agree!

I fly weekly on their famous 'puente aereo' service (air shuttle between BCN-MAD) and there is no one single flight without incidences, delays, inconveniences... etc (a part from the rudeness of their staff).

A 'puente aereo' round trip costs around 350 EUR (for just 45 min flight not a bargain I would say) but you are treated as crap, much worse that in any LCC flying the same route at 1/4 of the price...

The problem of IB is not just the service, is the attitude of their people. They have around 60 flights per day between BCN and MAD. They've been operating the route for over 30 years! Each day, same planes, same people, same slots, same airports... one would tend to think that they'd had the time to learn, no? NO! Every week the same problems, the same delays, caused by the same reasons, over and over again. They just DON'T CARE!

They still get the business because they own the slots and the frequencies. For me, they do a very, very POOR use of those PUBLIC goods (slots belong to Spanish citizens) and they should be taken out of the market. Living in Barcelona as I do, I can't be happier to see they are quitting most of their routes based in here to concentrate in MAD. I'm sure somebody will make better use of that airspace. I just hope, someday, they will also leave the air shuttle to real public competition.

A3EDU

kiwiandrew

Wed Dec 07, 2005 9:06 pm

Quoting A3EDU (Reply 11):
I fly weekly on their famous 'puente aereo' service (air shuttle between BCN-MAD)

why do you fly IB, don't UX and JK also operate on this route ?

anxebla

Wed Dec 07, 2005 10:02 pm

Many a.netters are always complain IB. For years complain about IB seem be funny and it is already a tradition in a.net. This is not the first time and for sure this thread will be not the last one. Solution is very easy:Do you dislike IB so much? Well, then try to fly in other airlines ...SO EASY like that!

I fly weekly on their famous 'puente aereo' service (air shuttle between BCN-MAD)

They have around 60 flights per day between BCN and MAD.

Maybe ...Do you wish more flights? Aren't those a enough number?
Sometimes may have some delay, but the "Puente aéreo" service is the World's best air shuttle

Quoting Kiwiandrew (Reply 12):
why do you fly IB, don't UX and JK also operate on this route ?

...cos for us, the Spaniards, (at least, some Spaniards citizens) make a complaint is something similar to feel an orgasm, dear Kiwiandrew ...and of course both, UX & JK also operate BCN-MAD

Quoting Il75 (Reply 6):
I suppose you get what you pay.

IB has fares so low as NM has, and NM is by far, worst than IB

AGAIN: Do you think IB is a mediocre airline?? Then ...try to fly with another carrier. By the way ...this thread deserves be in the "Aviation polls & prefs" forum.
AIRBUS 320 The world's most advanced single-aisle aircraft

Chiguire

Wed Dec 07, 2005 10:05 pm

Hi Avianca,
I was almost waiting for this post. I told you before....but at least you now made your own experience.
And I wish all those fanatic IB-defenders would try this great service at least once by themselves.
But, to speak with their words: "It's YOUR fault" because "if you are not nice and kind" to the IB staff, they will not be nice to you.
So it looks like IB turned the philosophy of customer service around. It's not that - whatever happens and whoever is right - the service agent needs to keep calm and nice to the customer. No !
Whatever happens, no matter if they tell you that your baggage didn't come on board and that you have to wait for the next connection or if you have an 8 hour delay - YOU (the customer) need to be NICE to the IB employee.

I thought - because that's what some IB fans said here - that IB customer service has improved since my last experience. And I was about to give them another chance. But now I will wait for at least another year.
It's a pity for Spain, so nice people, such a nice country, but such a bad airline. A bad ambassador for Spain !

So Avianca, I hope you like Venezuela and enjoy the Venezuelan hospitality.

stirling

Wed Dec 07, 2005 10:31 pm

Did you ever find out what the reason was for the delay?

"Red Jackets" (these are supposed to be la Creme de la Creme of IB's customer service agents... what a laugh... they're so clueless and rude)

I was wondering what the red jackets meant.

Unfortunately, the attitudes expressed here are something I've experienced not just with Iberai but with Barajas as a whole...as if it was contagious...among all airlines and staff. (unless I was there on bad days)
Delete this User

TACAA320

Wed Dec 07, 2005 10:46 pm

Avianca

Just a friendly question.

Why did you choose IB? and have you ever fly them before?

Thanks and regards.
'Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind'. Albert Einstein

AeroMexico777

Wed Dec 07, 2005 11:02 pm

Quoting Avianca (Thread starter):
My resume of this IB flight, IB has really the unkindliest personal and worst customer-service in the complete industry.

Reading your report about Iberia, it makes me no surprise because about ten years ago I travelled in Iberia from MEX to MAD my experience was more or less as terrible as yours. We took-off about 5 hours late without any explanation, service on board was at least rude to us: THE COSTUMERS! About eight hours later our torture came to an end... just to discover that one month later not only the plane was the same but the rude stewardesses were also the same! Ok... eight more hours of disgrace...

Quoting Anxebla (Reply 13):
Solution is very easy:Do you dislike IB so much? Well, then try to fly in other airlines ...SO EASY like that!

Actually, any time I have to go to Europe, I prefer ten million times AeroMexico.
If not, Air France is a good solution.

Regards, AeroMexico777
"When the hope of dying becomes the only reason to live..." Die Laughing (Gothic), Safe little world.

rootsair

Wed Dec 07, 2005 11:09 pm

Ya too bad hat at least in Central America we don't have much of a choice...either IB or NM for direct flights !! Seems that every airline that competes with IB is worst than IB...long live the times KL came to SJO(much better than rubbish Martinair)
A man without the knowledge of his past history,culture and origins is like a tree without roots

Avianca
Topic Author

Wed Dec 07, 2005 11:12 pm

Quoting Il75 (Reply 6):
But I always end flying to Latin America with IB. Their fares, at least flying economy class, are in my experience the lowest. And that by far.

yes thats true, they have often the lowest fares from germany to southamerica.

Quoting EI747SYDNEY (Reply 10):
Tell me after all the delays etc what was the IFE like for the journey home?

Well the IFE was not the gratest (like LH) but after staying for hours at the airport I was at least to sleep some hours ....

Quoting Anxebla (Reply 13):
Many a.netters are always complain IB. For years complain about IB seem be funny and it is already a tradition in a.net. This is not the first time and for sure this thread will be not the last one. Solution is very easy:Do you dislike IB so much? Well, then try to fly in other airlines ...SO EASY like that!

the solution is not so easy, with this kind of thinking do you have IB will disapeer very soon.

Quoting Stirling (Reply 15):
Did you ever find out what the reason was for the delay?

well they said the incoming flight was delayed from HAV? And the captain said that they had technical problems with some aircrafts and had rotation problems.

Quoting TACAA320 (Reply 16):
Avianca

Just a friendly question.

Why did you choose IB? and have you ever fly them before?

it was the price, 200 Euros cheaper per person (so totally 400 Euro for my wife and me) Yes I had several flights with them in the past (and they were not the greatets) but always the cheapest and for me 400 Euro diferenc is a lot of money...this time I hoped that they improved there service....

but anyway at least I arrived safe in Caracas.

cheers
Andreas

ps: thanks for all replys.
Colombia es el Mundo Y el Mundo es Colombia

ManuCH

Wed Dec 07, 2005 11:18 pm

It usually comprises of 2 or 3 "Red Jackets" (these are supposed to be la Creme de la Creme of IB's customer service agents... what a laugh... they're so clueless and rude) and 500 pax standing in a disorderly queue (with no desk for C-cl pax of course) shouting and pushing to get served first

This sounds exactly like the service you usually get from Alitalia staff (or more in general, from staff at Italian airports). Must be a "latin mentality" thing. Nobody cares about the customer  boggled 

It reminds me of an episode taking place at MXP... all flights were more or less overbooked. Instead of the usual "those who aren't flying will receive a voucher, any volunteers?" approach, it went like this: one customer care agent behind a desk was shouting "Hey crowd, here's one more boarding pass for Copenhagen, who wants it?" and was holding it up in the air. Then the tallest and strongest passeger in "queue" (actually more a "swarm" than a queue) would get the boarding pass (or probably a voucher to get one) and run to the other desk to put it into the system. There was a guy in a wheelchair who probably missed the flight, because he obviously was neither tall nor strong enough to get the ticket that way.

Pretty sad.
Never trust a statistic you didn't fake yourself

anxebla

Wed Dec 07, 2005 11:19 pm

Quoting RootsAir (Reply 18):
Ya too bad hat at least in Central America we don't have much of a choice...either IB or NM for direct flights !! Seems that every airline that competes with IB is worst than IB

hahaha ...Be sure NM is worst than IB.

By the way, my unique KLM long-haul flight (CCS-AMS with MD-11, 3 years ago) was worst than an IB trans-Atlantic average flight. I find AF better in service than both IB and KL. Anyhow it is only my personal opinion

A3EDU

Wed Dec 07, 2005 11:33 pm

We still fly 'Puente Aereo' because it still has much better facilities and frequencies than UX or JK and is the only service with real open tickets (the only real air shuttle service). There is no real competition.

My point is that IB is managing a huge part of Spanish aeronautic wealth, the slots, and is doing that very POORLY (they don't do their job as they should). Not happy with that, they don't show any consideration nor respect for their customers, they still have a PUBLIC SERVICE MENTALITY, such as the public health system or the justice administration.... that's the issue.

Flying with IB makes me feel helpless. Without the public heritage from INI IB (that belongs to all the Spanish citizens), they would have been out of the market long time ago and that's probably where they will end up unless things change quickly. One has the impression that they're just wasting our money!!

A3EDU

anxebla

Wed Dec 07, 2005 11:36 pm

Quoting ManuCH (Reply 20):
Must be a "latin mentality" thing

There are some men/women in Spain who dislike working, but IB management is also guilty cos they do a work contract/union contract which are a real rubbish, especially for the ground staff. IB doesnt motivate to their staff ...maybe here you are the KEY to understand why sometimes the IB workers are bit rude ...and of course, there is also very stupid and rude pax

komododx

Wed Dec 07, 2005 11:46 pm

Quoting ManuCH (Reply 19):
This sounds exactly like the service you usually get from Alitalia staff (or more in general, from staff at Italian airports). Must be a "latin mentality" thing. Nobody cares about the customer

Go fly on TA, CM, LA, or AV before you make a comment like this one  talktothehand 

Stefano
I'm homeless and unemployed

ManuCH

Wed Dec 07, 2005 11:51 pm

Quoting Komododx (Reply 23):
Go fly on TA, CM, LA, or AV before you make a comment like this one

OK then - must be a European Latin mentality thing  Smile yeah I know, I was making a general comment. Not everyone is like that...
Never trust a statistic you didn't fake yourself

PRAirbus

Wed Dec 07, 2005 11:59 pm

I've flown IB several times on transatlantic and the planes were great (in Economy). Clean and average comfort. The cabin crew was so-so, the older they are the less service oriented. The flights were on time all the time. I guess it is a "hit or miss" experience like most other major carriers. Some of my friends tell horror stories about other European carriers such as (AF, AZ, OA). I guess it could happen on any airline...some experience great service others don't. The funny thing is if IBERIA is that bad why their planes are always full at least to/from America? Why they keep introducing newer jets? If they were that bad...no one would dare fly with them. It's ironic!

EI747SYDNEY

Thu Dec 08, 2005 12:23 am

Quoting Avianca (Reply 18):
Well the IFE was not the gratest (like LH) but after staying for hours at the airport I was at least to sleep some hours ....

Thats good to hear...

Rob  wave 
''Live life on the edge, Live each and every day like it's your last, Hell you only live once''

Chiguire

Thu Dec 08, 2005 12:38 am

Quoting Anxebla (Reply 12):
AGAIN: Do you think IB is a mediocre airline?? Then ...try to fly with another carrier.

Actually that is what I do !

Quoting Anxebla (Reply 22):
There are some men/women in Spain who dislike working, but IB management is also guilty cos they do a work contract/union contract which are a real rubbish, especially for the ground staff. IB doesnt motivate to their staff ...maybe here you are the KEY to understand why sometimes the IB workers are bit rude ..

At least you accept that there is something to improve ! I hope they finally do.

...and of course, there is also very stupid and rude pax

Agree, but some of them because of the treatment by IB (not all).

il75

Thu Dec 08, 2005 12:48 am

I didn't mean to anybody. I simply think that Iberia--in spite of its extensive network and modern aircrafts--doesn't belong to Europe's first class airlines. It is my very personal opinion.

But Iberia is cheaper than most competitors and that makes a lot of people, at least it makes me, come back once and again. At present, the company can afford not offering the best and keep its business rolling.

But I am curious: Which airline is NM? Site information points to an airline from New Zealand (?)

regards
Erico

UN_B732

Thu Dec 08, 2005 1:09 am

I believe that if people don't know about how bad IB is, we won't be able to get change. This thread should be in General Aviation telling people about their problems with Iberia's service. I'm not saying Iberia is bad 100% of the time, but most of the reviews of Iberia I have read are negative.
What now?

TriStar500

Thu Dec 08, 2005 2:06 am

Quoting Il75 (Reply 28):
Which airline is NM?

I think it's Air Madrid.
Homer: Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!

kiwiandrew

Thu Dec 08, 2005 2:12 am

Quoting Il75 (Reply 28):
Which airline is NM? Site information points to an airline from New Zealand (?)

NM used to be Mt Cook Airlines in New Zealand before they disappeared into Air New Zealand - now , I think it has been reallocated to Air Madrid

aswissinmad

Thu Dec 08, 2005 2:47 am

Is this the kind of customer service you deliver to your pax? Did IB actually teach you to answer THAT to your customers? Do you IB people get any kind of customer service training? You should be ashamed!!!

Your posts prove that indeed your airline is Europe's worst.

Sad, because there are so many good people out there who would kill to work for an airline (and would at least provide acceptable service).

AeroMexico777

Thu Dec 08, 2005 3:00 am

At least, here in Mexico, we have another great chance to go to Spain... That is AeroMexico (AND I DONT WORK THERE).The transatlantic service is excelent, stewardesses are kind and the meal is something quite Ok (NOT EXCELENT, I qoute)... The only bad thing is the equipment (767 200/300), but hope that changes in the near future with the 777s...
I dont know how is the service of AirMadrid, so I can state my opinion...
Finally, its so sad to read posts as agressive as the ones that a.net fellow posted earlier...

Solution is very easy:Do you dislike IB so much? Well, then try to fly in other airlines ...SO EASY like that!

If the critics are as bad as I´ve read and the service is as terrible as I experienced its for something... not anything personal against Iberia... Pitty for such a great country to have that kind of airline...

Regards, AeroMexico777
"When the hope of dying becomes the only reason to live..." Die Laughing (Gothic), Safe little world.

sk601

Thu Dec 08, 2005 3:20 am

All airlines have delays/cancellations, it's not only an "IB-thing". When this happens, providing information to the passengers is probably the most important thing that airline staff must do. More important than issuing vouchers/compensation or what-so-ever. Problem is that information needs to come from various departments; mx/operations/flight control etc etc. In order to get that information, it will take time, so instant information is not always available when the passengers wants it.
Also airport facilities are a part of the information supply as well. In AMS for example, the tv screens are terrible. Small and unclear lettertype, limited information possibilities. When a flight is delayed, only that is mentioned. Airline agents are not able to put extra information on the screens of the reason of the delay. The announcement system is terrible as well; limited reach.
Passengers also understand and hear what THEY want to understand or hear. Another point is the language barrier. Most passengers speak and understand a bit english but that's different from the native english speakers.

Quoting Chiguire (Reply 13):
YOU (the customer) need to be NICE to the IB employee.

Sort of, you DO need to be nice to the airline employee. There is a problem and YOU need help, and guess what, who will give you this help ??? No seriously, I am a csa in AMS for several airlines. All of the airlines have delays or cancellations, once and a while. We (the csa's) understand that it's inconvenient for you -the passenger-. The passenger may express his/hers feelings about the situation or airline. He/she may be mad. No problem at all, it's a part of our job to listen. But PLEASE don't be RUDE! Life is a mirror! Screeming and yelling out loud, doesn't change the situation if your flight is delayed or cancelled.

Quoting ASWISSinMAD (Reply 32):
because there are so many good people out there who would kill to work for an airline (and would at least provide acceptable service).

True, but I must say that after working with passengers for many years now, you kind of get indifferent at times. The first year(s) as csa I really did go out of my way for pax, beyond my call of duty. At a certain point you realise that it's never good enough anymore. Passengers are hardly satisfied and only demand more and more. However, if the passenger stays polite I will do my best to make sure the problem is solved or at least to minimize the inconvenience of the delay.

The world is changing....rudeness used to be incidental but now I am surprised if a passenger stays polite and friendly....and yes guys...I am looking for another job....I will miss the planes  Sad

JOSEMEX

Thu Dec 08, 2005 3:32 am

but IB management is also guilty cos they do a work contract/union contract which are a real rubbish, especially for the ground staff. IB doesnt motivate to their staff ...maybe here you are the KEY to understand why sometimes the IB workers are bit rude

Following your line of reasoning, if IB's staff is un-motivated, then they should quit IB and go work some place else, not criticise their management (or take it out on their customers).  sarcastic 

RICARIZA

Thu Dec 08, 2005 3:40 am

Quoting ManuCH (Reply 19):
Must be a "latin mentality" thing. Nobody cares about the customer

Komodox answered for me:

Quoting ManuCH (Reply 24):
OK then - must be a European Latin mentality thing yeah I know, I was making a general comment. Not everyone is like that...

Without a doubt.
I miss ACES, I am proud of AVIANCA & I am loyal to AMERICAN

MGA

Thu Dec 08, 2005 4:34 am

I would actually leave TA out of that one...  Sad

MGA
Que viva el guaro, el dinero y los aviones!!!

iberiadc852

Thu Dec 08, 2005 6:02 am

Quoting PRAirbus (Reply 25):
Some of my friends tell horror stories about other European carriers such as (AF, AZ, OA). I guess it could happen on any airline...some experience great service others don't

That's the real point of this question. I personally think IB has quite a few things to be criticized about, but I also think to get a real idea of an airline's service it's necessary to collect opinions from people who really fly a lot in several airlines. All else could be flight anecdots.

Quoting Avianca (Reply 18):
400 Euro diferenc is a lot of money...this time I hoped that they improved there service....

Quoting A3EDU (Reply 21):
We still fly 'Puente Aereo' because it still has much better facilities and frequencies than UX or JK and is the only service with real open tickets (the only real air shuttle service). There is no real competition.

With those arguments at least you shouldn't be surprised that many people still fly Iberia. I could even understand that they think they don't need to improve.
variety is the spice of life; that's what made the "old times" so good

XA744

Thu Dec 08, 2005 6:10 am

Do you dislike IB so much? Well, then try to fly in other airlines

Well, I would like to hear something about Air Madrid. Is it now the option ?

Regards
No matter how you fly...just never get your wings clipped !

us330

Thu Dec 08, 2005 6:33 am

My one experience with Iberia was quite simply comical at best. My seat cushion couldn't stay on the seat, and once we arrived in heathrow, we found out that we couldn't deplane out the front, so we had to go out the back...
What bothered me about the flight was that I had booked my ticket through British Airways, and it was being operated with a BA flight number. Thus, I expected service somewhat comparable to BA. Instead it felt like I was flying Southwest for three times the cost.

abrelosojos

Thu Dec 08, 2005 6:39 am

Quoting AeroMexico777 (Reply 16):
Actually, any time I have to go to Europe, I prefer ten million times AeroMexico.
If not, Air France is a good solution.

= AM777, I agree totally with the recommendation to fly AM. BUT NOT AF porfa! AF is as bad as IB - if not worse. IB has progressively got worse - the crew just does not care. Though my recent experiences indicate that AF is worse than IB.

-A.

PS - If flying to CCS, try even Santa Barbara - ok, chances are that your flight will be delayed by forever, but you'll get respect  Smile. I miss VIASA.
Live, and let live.

Chiguire

Thu Dec 08, 2005 6:41 am

Quoting SK601 (Reply 34):
He/she may be mad. No problem at all, it's a part of our job to listen. But PLEASE don't be RUDE! Life is a mirror! Screeming and yelling out loud, doesn't change the situation if your flight is delayed or cancelled.

Agree 100 %.

abrelosojos

Thu Dec 08, 2005 6:51 am

Quoting SK601 (Reply 34):
All airlines have delays/cancellations, it's not only an "IB-thing". When this happens, providing information to the passengers is probably the most important thing that airline staff must do. More important than issuing vouchers/compensation or what-so-ever. Problem is that information needs to come from various departments; mx/operations/flight control etc etc. In order to get that information, it will take time, so instant information is not always available when the passengers wants it.
Also airport facilities are a part of the information supply as well. In AMS for example, the tv screens are terrible. Small and unclear lettertype, limited information possibilities. When a flight is delayed, only that is mentioned. Airline agents are not able to put extra information on the screens of the reason of the delay. The announcement system is terrible as well; limited reach.
Passengers also understand and hear what THEY want to understand or hear. Another point is the language barrier. Most passengers speak and understand a bit english but that's different from the native english speakers.

Quoting Chiguire (Reply 13):
YOU (the customer) need to be NICE to the IB employee.

Sort of, you DO need to be nice to the airline employee. There is a problem and YOU need help, and guess what, who will give you this help ??? No seriously, I am a csa in AMS for several airlines. All of the airlines have delays or cancellations, once and a while. We (the csa's) understand that it's inconvenient for you -the passenger-. The passenger may express his/hers feelings about the situation or airline. He/she may be mad. No problem at all, it's a part of our job to listen. But PLEASE don't be RUDE! Life is a mirror! Screeming and yelling out loud, doesn't change the situation if your flight is delayed or cancelled.

Quoting ASWISSinMAD (Reply 32):
because there are so many good people out there who would kill to work for an airline (and would at least provide acceptable service).

True, but I must say that after working with passengers for many years now, you kind of get indifferent at times. The first year(s) as csa I really did go out of my way for pax, beyond my call of duty. At a certain point you realise that it's never good enough anymore. Passengers are hardly satisfied and only demand more and more. However, if the passenger stays polite I will do my best to make sure the problem is solved or at least to minimize the inconvenience of the delay.

The world is changing....rudeness used to be incidental but now I am surprised if a passenger stays polite and friendly....and yes guys...I am looking for another job....I will miss the planes

= Respect is always a 2-way thing. You cannot let rude passengers change your outlook. Just understand that passengers also do come with their own baggage and personal experiences formed on real negative (cancellations, delays, racism) or unjustified basis (entitlements).

-A.
Live, and let live.

PDPsol

Thu Dec 08, 2005 6:51 am

Quoting US330 (Reply 40):
What bothered me about the flight was that I had booked my ticket through British Airways, and it was being operated with a BA flight number. Thus, I expected service somewhat comparable to BA. Instead it felt like I was flying Southwest for three times the cost.

US330, IB and BA have a revenue-sharing agreement on flights between Spain and the UK and code-share all their flights between the UK, BCN and MAD. IB and BA are both oneWorld members and cooperate extensively, placing BA pax on IB MAD-Latin America flights and IB pax on LHR-Asia routes.

BA passengers are 'supposed' to 'not notice' any difference between IB and BA-operated flights.

BA and IB have actually encouraged rumors they may enter into a merger agreement in the future. IB's CEO has stated they are closely following the progression of the AF/KL integration and may, indeed, merge with BA in the future.

Also, BA is a minority shareholder in IB, possessing 9.74% of the common shares. IB has realized favorable financial performance, given the industry's difficult state.

bullpitt

Thu Dec 08, 2005 6:55 am

Hi all

lets analyze the original post.

First there is a customer service desk in terminal one there fore can you explain why you didn't try to get your information there? Secondly the tv monitors are (as far as I know) handled by AENA ( not IB fault) and new airport policy does not allow messages to be announced over the PA system. (more and more common in European airports) again not IB fault

One question how did you find out the flight was delayed? This reminds me of an idiot (not implying you're one) who was interview on national television and complained about not having received any information.

Approximate translation

" they have told us the flight is delayed for approximately two hours due to mechanical failure the mechanics are working and have given us food vouchers. Is shameful we don't know what's going on"

What did he want a full mechanical report?

Telephone voucher? If your flight is delayed they normally will let you make one call. Never have suffered such delay so I really have never made use of it.

A3EDU

I confirmed it in your profile (Catalan tenias que ser) the puente aereo is probably the best of its kind in the world very rarely you encounter problems with it and the service is great I have arrived in terminal c at 7.00 am checked in got to the gate directly into the aircraft and about 7:30 we were rolling down the runway. Where else do you get such service.

Wasting your money? IB is a private company and unless your are a shareholder in the company I don't see how we can be wasting your money.

Out of the market? I can assure you many other companies will go down the drain before IB does.

ASWISSinMAD I'm so sure swiss has great customer service but will they end up the same as swiss air? The way I see it I prefer to work for a s*it airline and bring home my wage every month than working for a great company that will send me to the dole Q.

IB employees smoking? Interesting because I have never seen it (has anybody else seen this?)

EI747SYDNEY

Just curious have you ever flown IB?
These are my principles but if you don't like them I have others

abrelosojos

Thu Dec 08, 2005 7:04 am

Quoting Bullpitt (Reply 45):
I confirmed it in your profile (Catalan tenias que ser) the puente aereo is probably the best of its kind in the world very rarely you encounter problems with it and the service is great I have arrived in terminal c at 7.00 am checked in got to the gate directly into the aircraft and about 7:30 we were rolling down the runway. Where else do you get such service.

= Bull - aka - official PR guy from IB. Please tell me you work for them - otherwise they should hire you  Smile - but seriously, I have flown the Puete Aereo MANY times over and it SUCKS. IB's service on the routing is a disaster and I would say that over the past year my success rate on getting the flight I wanted and that departing on time is less than 20%. This from over 30 of these flights over a 7 month period. And there are better airbridges - Shuttle between DC and NYC, air bridge between Sao Paulo and Rio, the BKK-SIN link between TG/SQ are a few coming to mind.

-A.

PS - And I hope you're not implying/judging A3DU by "Catalan" - thats just hmmm --- starts with an R.
Live, and let live.

AlitaliaMD11

Thu Dec 08, 2005 7:27 am

I like Iberia... Once you get in the air they are a great airline!
No Vueling No Party

bullpitt

Thu Dec 08, 2005 7:39 am

Ummmmmmm lets see, you say you have not been able to get on the flight you wanted most of the time. Well considering the service is a first come first go could it be due to the fact that is so popular the flights are very full. (specially in peak hours)

As far as being racist (I only recognize one race, and that's the human race).  biggrin 

By the way everyone here knows I work for IB and proud of it.

I love most of my clients 90% I hate those 10% of idiots who f*ck up your day.

And by the way when you treat people badly you get bad service in return (is part of human nature) try being polite it will get you much further.
These are my principles but if you don't like them I have others

thepilot730

Thu Dec 08, 2005 8:47 am

As an American who has family in Spain I travel to Madrid at least two times a year and I do everything in my power to not travel on Iberia. There planes look like crap on the outside, there flight attendants are the most unfriendly in the world and like Avianca from Germany stated their customer service SUCKS!

I prefer to travel on CO, AA , or DL.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos