Vio
Topic Author

Cubana Flying To Canada

Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:44 am

Hi,

I tried to search for this, but nothing relevant came up. Does Cubana fly over USA when they come to Canada? If not, what route do they fly?

Regards,

Vio
Superior decisions reduce the need for superior skills.

timz

RE: Cubana Flying To Canada

Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:47 am

In the past they flew over NY City northwestward on their way to Montreal, but I haven't looked for them in recent years.

Don't forget lots of US flights like to fly over Cuba, so if the US banned Cubana flights ...

voodoo

Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:49 am

Lookin forward to Cubana Tu-204 service from/to Canada
` Yeaah! Baade 152! Trabi of the Sky! '

MAH4546

Fri Dec 09, 2005 4:15 am

Quoting Timz (Reply 1):

Don't forget lots of US flights like to fly over Cuba, so if the US banned Cubana flights ...

Cuba doesn't have nearly as much against the US as the US against them and doesn't participate in total reciprocity (i.e. American citizens are very welcomed in Cuban; and the thousands that visit Cuba illegally every year are treated just like everyone else; Cuban immigration officals don't even stamp their passports so that they won't get caught). US planes can indeed overfly Cuba. Cuban planes, however, cannot overly the US, which is why Cubana's flights to Toronto and Montreal are operated by TACA A320s.
a.

Elagabal

Fri Dec 09, 2005 4:52 am

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 3):
Cuban planes, however, cannot overly the US

I was under the impression that this restriction had been repealed by the Clinton administration, and that CU's only remaining problems had to do with safety. (I remember reading it in the US papers, as it marked a major shift in policy - US airlines having been able to overfly Cuba for years already.) Did Dubya shut CU out in the cold again?

Vio
Topic Author

Fri Dec 09, 2005 6:07 am

Quote:
Cuba doesn't have nearly as much against the US as the US against them and doesn't participate in total reciprocity

That may be true, but let's look back at the Cuban Missile Crisis, when the Cubans "invited" the Soviets in USA's backyard... but, what do I know? I'm not an expert in Cuba-American relations.

Cheers,

Vio
Superior decisions reduce the need for superior skills.

A300605R

Fri Dec 09, 2005 6:28 am

Quote:
"...Cubans "invited" the Soviets in USA's backyard..."

They didn't, Russia would have bought Cuba's sugar, the only mean to get money.

US Airlines use Cuban or Iranian Airspace as well (see the emergency landing of the NWA DC 10 at THR), so CU also should be able. But I don't know: Does a "black list" (list of unsafe Airlines) exist in USA?
300 319 320 321 332 733 734 735 738 753 763 F27 M83

David T

Fri Dec 09, 2005 7:55 am

On a recent trip to Vancouver, even Mr. Castro's plane which would now be bound back to Havana was not allowed to overfly the United States. He had to go around the U.S. from Canada back to Cuba.

STT757

Fri Dec 09, 2005 8:06 am

Quoting Vio (Thread starter):
Does Cubana fly over USA when they come to Canada

Flying back to EWR on my previous trip to Cancun we flew East out of Cancun and across most of Western Cuba before turning North near Havana and crossing over Key West.

I felt like I was on a spy mission aboard the CO 737-900, great views of Cuba although from what I could tell there really are not alot of people or buildings in Western Cuba. The captain announced we would be flying over Cuba and most folks were quite interested in seeing the view as we flew over the Island.
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

ltbewr

Fri Dec 09, 2005 8:09 am

Cubana commercial flights between Cuba and Canada or from Europe and Cuba were, and still maybe, required to stick to certain routes/flight paths. Deviations have and will cause suspension of flyover privileges for a while. I think back in the 1980's, a Cubana flight had deviated from the authorized flight path, and flew too close to a US Military base in NY State and caused a suspension of flyover right for Cubana for several weeks.

Elagabal

Fri Dec 09, 2005 9:42 am

Quoting David T (Reply 7):
On a recent trip to Vancouver, even Mr. Castro's plane which would now be bound back to Havana was not allowed to overfly the United States.

I imagine Fidel would probably be treated a little differently by US officialdom than would any ol' bunch of Cubans.  wink  As for the rest, see reply #9 for an excellent answer.

bond007

Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:31 am

This would be the usual route to Toronto:

MUHA./.TADPO.G448.MTH..LBV.J73.LAL..CTY.J91.ATL.J43.VXV.J91.BULEY.J186.APE.J83.DJB.J545.YXU.V98.HALBY.YWT.CYYZ/0300

Marathon - La Belle, FL - Lakeland, FL - Cross City, FL - Atlanta - Knoxville, TN - Appleton, OH - Dryer Cleveland, OH - London, Canada - Waterloo, Canada.

Jimbo
I'd rather be on the ground wishing I was in the air, than in the air wishing I was on the ground!

2travel2know

Fri Dec 09, 2005 11:03 am

Quoting LTBEWR (Reply 9):
Cubana commercial flights between Cuba and Canada or from Europe and Cuba were, and still maybe, required to stick to certain routes/flight paths. Deviations have and will cause suspension of flyover privileges for a while

I think that's still the case, CU must fly a certain route / air-corridor, and most likely only in cases of extreme emergencies (problem with the aircraft; very, very bad weather, severe medical reasons) they could request a change of route or even land in a US airport.
I don't work for COPA Airlines!

LAXintl

Fri Dec 09, 2005 11:20 am

This topic (with almost the same exact title) was recently discussed. A quick search would reveal.
Cubana Flights To Canada (by Tu144d Jun 9 2005 in Tech Ops)#ID120098
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos