Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

usnseallt82
Topic Author

Southwest Airlines in MDW Overrun - Part 2

Fri Dec 09, 2005 1:21 pm

I am posting this because the other thread has gotten too long. Also, breaking news has announced that a young boy was killed in the overun...

http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/12/08/chicago.airplane/index.html
Crye me a river

bigphilnyc

Fri Dec 09, 2005 1:35 pm

May the boy rest in peace.  Sad
Phil Derner Jr.

usnseallt82
Topic Author

Fri Dec 09, 2005 1:41 pm

Quoting BigPhilNYC (Reply 1):
May the boy rest in peace.

checkmark 

Horrible event so close to the holidays.
Crye me a river

planespotting

Fri Dec 09, 2005 1:43 pm

does anyone else think that if the nose gear collapsed upon landing then the aircraft most likely would have stopped before crashing through the fence...??
Do you like movies about gladiators?

drewfly

Fri Dec 09, 2005 1:43 pm

Pardon my ignorance, but could someone explain the difference between a stabilized and unstabilized approach? Also, what is the Southwest "Go" team?

Poor kid  Sad
A-10 Thunderbolt II, ugly as hell, efficient as hell, would you like to meet my boomstick?

LFutia

Fri Dec 09, 2005 1:44 pm

an hour ago, CNN said that Midway has 8.3 inches of snow....

now what are the odds that this aircraft will be written off?

Leo
Leo/ORD

trnswrld

Fri Dec 09, 2005 1:44 pm

Hearing about this little boy dying is horrible. Just one fatality and now its very sad.
Man, who would have thought that someone in a car would dye from a collision with a Boeing.
Prayers with the boy and his family.

N723GW

Fri Dec 09, 2005 1:45 pm

MSNBC reporting boy dies in accident
The dude abides

CHI787ORD

Fri Dec 09, 2005 1:50 pm

Quoting LFutia (Reply 5):
an hour ago, CNN said that Midway has 8.3 inches of snow....

It's still snowing. Local media is reporting that it could snow up to 10 inches. Chicago gets big snowstorms, but never early this year. It is truly astounding and sad what happened tonight here in Chicago.

The boy was six years old. Had two brothers including one infant. The parents are in serious condition. no information on infant. the other brother is in fair condiiton.

MDW is closed indefinetly.

beertrucker

Fri Dec 09, 2005 1:50 pm

Quoting MDW22L31C (Reply 186):
The Air France crash was very serious (I was on it, trust me). I still have nightmares/ flashbacks even today. I've lost everything and I still haven't flown yet. Quite a number of people got seriously injured, and contrary to news reports, I knew some who were on the verge of being paralyzed.

I am sorry to hear you were on the AirFrance flight. My thoughts go out to you. What I meant by that was that the US News stations like to jump on a pilot or someone long before the actual reason has been discovered. I did not mean it as not a real reason. Just saying the news always looks for the worst things first before letting the FAA or NSB do their job without people asking them things before the reason is giving out. The news likes to give out reasons and blame people before the real reason or person to blame is discovered. Once again sorry for what you went through. Did not mean to hurt you in anyway by that.

I am posting this again here only cause I want MDW22L31C to see it. Is all.

[/quote]

Quoting Drewfly (Reply 4):
does anyone else think that if the nose gear collapsed upon landing then the aircraft most likely would have stopped before crashing through the fence...??

No I think it collapsed when it hit the wall or some kind of ditch near the wall. A person from the flight was reported on the news saying that when they landed it all seemed normal and then a few bumps then a crash noise just before they stopped.
Fly HI

bigphilnyc

Fri Dec 09, 2005 1:52 pm

Especially hard when hearing that the only fatality so far was a boy. Just horrible.
Phil Derner Jr.

drewfly

Fri Dec 09, 2005 1:54 pm

Quoting Beertrucker (Reply 9):

No I think it collapsed when it hit the wall or some kind of ditch near the wall. A person from the flight was reported on the news saying that when they landed it all seemed normal and then a few bumps then a crash noise just before they stopped.

Whoa I didn't say that.
A-10 Thunderbolt II, ugly as hell, efficient as hell, would you like to meet my boomstick?

GuitrThree

Quoting CHI787ORD (Reply 8):
It's still snowing. Local media is reporting that it could snow up to 10 inches. Chicago gets big snowstorms, but never early this year.

It's that damn Global Warming again...
As Seen On FlightRadar24! Radar ==> F-KBNA5

litz

It's a 73G; there should still be quite a bit of value in the airframe.

Anyone know when this particular one was delivered?

I'd say if the frame itself is intact, and the wingspar is intact, they may very well fix it. I *think* one of the engines broke away (one of the video clips shows a gap on the left wing) presumably when it impacted with a car.

And, of course, we have no idea what damage there is underneath. This plane hit a WALL (concrete reinforced with steel bars) before entering the street.

Who knows what that did to it ...

Remember, also - it's a plane that's still in production ... Boeing can bring in spare parts fairly easily.

Like the investigation, this will pretty much be a wait-and-see.

- litz

BTW - is there enough room at MDW for a Boeing "fix-it-on-the-spot" tent/portable hangar, or 737-sized local hangar space, to repair this plane?

2H4

Fri Dec 09, 2005 1:55 pm

Pardon my ignorance, but could someone explain the difference between a stabilized and unstabilized approach? Also, what is the Southwest "Go" team?

A stabilized approach is an approach where the airspeed and sink rate are, well, stabilized, without any major fluctuations. In an unstabilized approach, the pilot would be chasing the airspeed and navigation instruments, and would be altering the aircraft configuration (flaps, gear, etc) later in the approach than desired. This rushes things, and is a less methodical and consistant way to fly an approach.

The "Go-Team" is a group of folks from Flight Operations and the Flight Safety department. Immediately after an accident/incident, they grab big duffel bags containing accident investigation equipment and get to the scene asap to conduct their investigation.

2H4

Intentionally Left Blank

TWA902fly

Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:00 pm

Quoting CHI787ORD (Reply 8):
It's still snowing. Local media is reporting that it could snow up to 10 inches. Chicago gets big snowstorms, but never early this year. It is truly astounding and sad what happened tonight here in Chicago.

I dunno im from Chicago and for one i remember there being a snowstorm day before thanksgiving last year, and yes i mean snowstorm, like the worst thing you could imagine on the busiest travel day of the year, took me 1:45 to drive 15 miles... you get the point.

And ive seen snow storms many times in november, usually snow doesnt stay on the ground for more than a week, but it happens, and its that heavy wet snow that builds up and gets on everything. Doesnt sound like global warming or anything unusual, just the first big snow storm of the season as usual for Chicago.

'902
life wasn't worth the balance, or the crumpled paper it was written on

dw9115

Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:01 pm

I work for a company that finances aircraft purchases (and now airlines them selves) and leases aircraft. If you noticed that the 737 was a 700 series with winglets and I will tell you that my company would not write off that new of a aircraft. Even with the landing gear collapsing and the plane skidding and the fact it had a fuel leak does not matter. The fact is that plane is to new and still in it's current condition is worth way to much money to write off.

[Edited 2005-12-09 06:04:53]

beertrucker

Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:03 pm

Quoting GuitrThree (Reply 12):
Whoa I didn't say that.

I am sorry. I miss read that. that is a hard one to say. It would depend on a lot of things. Depends on when it would collapse. But actually no I don't think it would make a difference cause you would have smooth metal sliding on the ice and snow So hard ti answer that one.
ok not sure why the site doing this but sorry drew.

Quoting Planespotting (Reply 3):

this is who i ment the quote for.
Fly HI

redflyer

Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:04 pm

From the original thread and continued here...

Quoting Spacecadet (Reply 233):
Why? Seems pretty clear that the car in which the boy was killed ended up underneath the airplane. The firefighter in charge confirmed this on-air. How does that happen without a gear collapse? The gear collapse is what's directly responsible for the one fatality.

The fuselage doesn't have to end up on top of the car to cause a fatality. The 737's engines sit pretty low to the ground. And a 737 engine with a turbine spinning in order to generate maximum reverse thrust could cause a fair amount of damage to a car and its occupants, don't you think?
A government big enough to take away a constitutionally guaranteed right is a government big enough to take away any guaranteed right. A government big enough to give you everything you need is a government big enough to take away everything you have.

CHI787ORD

Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:05 pm

Quoting TWA902fly (Reply 15):
I dunno im from Chicago and for one i remember there being a snowstorm day before thanksgiving last year, and yes i mean snowstorm, like the worst thing you could imagine on the busiest travel day of the year, took me 1:45 to drive 15 miles... you get the point.

And ive seen snow storms many times in november, usually snow doesnt stay on the ground for more than a week, but it happens, and its that heavy wet snow that builds up and gets on everything. Doesnt sound like global warming or anything unusual, just the first big snow storm of the season as usual for Chicago.

Yeah i agree. It just seems as if everyone here in the city was pretty much caught off guard by this storm. Usually the big ones come in January. It's not crazy what happened tonight, just very unusual. Also, CNN was reporting that the storm lingered over the lower great-lakes region for quite a while, towns and cities inbetween Chicago and Detroit were heavily hit as well.

socalfive

Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:10 pm

Quoting Litz (Reply 13):
It's a 73G; there should still be quite a bit of value in the airframe.

Anyone know when this particular one was delivered?

N471WN 73G Airworthiness Certificate Issued 8-16-04

redflyer

Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:14 pm

Quoting Dw9115 (Reply 16):
I work for a company that finances aircraft purchases (and now airlines them selves) and leases aircraft. If you noticed that the 737 was a 700 series with winglets and I will to tell that my company would not write off that new of a aircraft. Even with the landing gear collapsing and the plane skidding and the fact it had a fuel leak does not matter. The fact is that plane is to new and still in it's current condition is worth way to much money to write off.

HP794, an Airbus 320, which had it's nose gear collapse here in PHX after landing and veering off the runway due to, among other things, an inoperable thrust reverser was written off. Now, that aircraft was 12 years old at the time but if I recall, it suffered some pressure hull damage in the forward area which included skin buckling and crush patterns.

I realize these are two different circumstances and the Airbus was an older aircraft (hence, parting it out may have been more lucrative than returning it to service); however, you have to assume this WN airplane suffered much more severe damage since it plowed through a concrete wall and collided with some vehicles. The HP hull write-off resulted from the aircraft simply veering off the runway and having it's nose gear collapse after going into a shallow ditch.
A government big enough to take away a constitutionally guaranteed right is a government big enough to take away any guaranteed right. A government big enough to give you everything you need is a government big enough to take away everything you have.

beertrucker

Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:15 pm

Quoting Beertrucker (Reply 9):
Quoting MDW22L31C (Reply 186):
The Air France crash was very serious (I was on it, trust me). I still have nightmares/ flashbacks even today. I've lost everything and I still haven't flown yet. Quite a number of people got seriously injured, and contrary to news reports, I knew some who were on the verge of being paralyzed.

I am sorry to hear you were on the AirFrance flight. My thoughts go out to you. What I meant by that was that the US News stations like to jump on a pilot or someone long before the actual reason has been discovered. I did not mean it as not a real reason. Just saying the news always looks for the worst things first before letting the FAA or NSB do their job without people asking them things before the reason is giving out. The news likes to give out reasons and blame people before the real reason or person to blame is discovered. Once again sorry for what you went through. Did not mean to hurt you in anyway by that.

I am posting this again here only cause I want MDW22L31C to see it. Is all.

Sorry again all I am still new to the site and learning the buttons. I meant this quote. To Eddieho. mdw I am sorry for the confusion. so eddie made the quote originally not mdw sorry all.
Fly HI

CHI787ORD

Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:17 pm

How will the Daley Dynasty spin this in his plans to consolidate all of CHI aviation at ORD? hehe.  Smile.

No seriously, any thoughts?

StevenUhl777

Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:21 pm

Quoting CHI787ORD (Reply 23):
How will the Daley Dynasty spin this in his plans to consolidate all of CHI aviation at ORD? hehe. .

Probably not the right thread to discuss that topic...  Yeah sure
And the winner for best actress is....REESE WITHERSPOON for 'Walk the Line'!!!!!!!!

beertrucker

Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:22 pm

Quoting CHI787ORD (Reply 23):
How will the Daley Dynasty spin this in his plans to consolidate all of CHI aviation at ORD? hehe. .

Oh I bet he will try, but I don't think it will. I don't think ORD can hold the traffic of both airports. It just not an idea that will work without making life even more of a headache at ORD.
Fly HI

planespotting

Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:24 pm

Quoting Beertrucker (Reply 17):
this is who i ment the quote for.

i actually was insinuating that the landing gear collapsed at some poing after landing, most likely resulting from plowing through the fence. i see that you're new, so just take it easy when quoting things and reading stuff so far, haha.
Do you like movies about gladiators?

zeke

Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:24 pm

Feel really sad for the loss of life. I hope some of the news reports are wrong, differant ages for a deceased child, 8 years and 6 years.

Quoting Dw9115 (Reply 16):
I work for a company that finances aircraft purchases (and now airlines them selves) and leases aircraft. If you noticed that the 737 was a 700 series with winglets and I will tell you that my company would not write off that new of a aircraft. Even with the landing gear collapsing and the plane skidding and the fact it had a fuel leak does not matter. The fact is that plane is to new and still in it's current condition is worth way to much money to write off.

CNN reported that the aircraft went through a sound barrier wall and guard rail on the airport perimiter. I would be surprised if it remained in service.

Another report

Male reporter; “By all accounts the airplane ran off the end of the runway, through the fence and through the sound barrier.” (The sound barrier he was referring to is an acoustical/sound barrier fence.)

Female reporter; “The SOUND BARRIER, isn’t that really fast? Why were the pilots flying that fast on landing?”

Male reporter; Long pause, then he explained the difference.
“Don't be a show-off. Never be too proud to turn back. There are old pilots and bold pilots, but no old, bold pilots.” E. Hamilton Lee, 1949

AirNaskar380

Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:30 pm

Picture of the crushed car under the nose from MSNBC, poor family RIP

GuitrThree

Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:31 pm

Quoting Zeke (Reply 28):
CNN reported that the aircraft went through a sound barrier wall and guard rail on the airport perimiter. I would be surprised if it remained in service.

Another report

Male reporter; “By all accounts the airplane ran off the end of the runway, through the fence and through the sound barrier.” (The sound barrier he was referring to is an acoustical/sound barrier fence.)

Female reporter; “The SOUND BARRIER, isn’t that really fast? Why were the pilots flying that fast on landing?”

Male reporter; Long pause, then he explained the difference

Consider the source... Clueless News Network.
As Seen On FlightRadar24! Radar ==> F-KBNA5

socalfive

Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:36 pm

Quoting GuitrThree (Reply 30):
Consider the source... Clueless News Network.

Exactly! Now consider this, imagine all the issues that are fed to us on a daily basis that we're not as educated about as aviation! The best thing to do with the news is find out what happened (More or less) period. Details will rarely be accurate, unbiased, unspun, or just blatantly mis-reported.

beertrucker

Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:39 pm

Quoting Planespotting (Reply 27):
Quoting Beertrucker (Reply 17):
this is who I meant the quote for.

I actually was insinuating that the landing gear collapsed at some poing after landing, most likely resulting from plowing through the fence. i see that you're new, so just take it easy when quoting things and reading stuff so far, haha.

No I got that. But you said if it had before it got to the fence/wall. And I am not sure it would have made a difference cause of the conditions at the airport. Is what I meant.
Fly HI

irelayer

Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:40 pm

Quoting Litz (Reply 13):
BTW - is there enough room at MDW for a Boeing "fix-it-on-the-spot" tent/portable hangar, or 737-sized local hangar space, to repair this plane?

Yes.

-IR

syncmaster

Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:47 pm

Quoting CHI787ORD (Reply 19):
Chicago and Detroit were heavily hit as well.

I live in Michigan exactly 2 hours from Chicago and Detroit, I'd say we got atleast 10 inches so far, if not more, and its still snowing.

Quoting Zeke (Reply 28):

Don't be, its very common for a plane like this to be repaired, as has been said before, the plane is just around 1 year old and its a high demand aircraft so it therefore is still worth a considerable amount of money. In the end, we won't know until they conduct a full investigation of whats damaged on the aircraft and whether or not it would cost more to fix than replace.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but last time I knew WN was kind of strapped for planes right now, they are not going to write-off an aircraft unless they absolutely must.

My condolences to the family and friends of the child that passed away.  Sad

omoo

Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:57 pm

whats up with SWA with these intersections?
Fly Air Popobawa

thegreatchecko

Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:01 pm

Quoting Litz (Reply 13):

WN has a full maintenance base at MDW with a number of hangers. I think they just bought one from ATA.

GreatChecko
"A pilot's plane she is. She will love you if you deserve it, and try to kill you if you don't...She is the Mighty Q400"

joness0154

Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:01 pm

Quoting Zeke (Reply 28):
I hope some of the news reports are wrong, differant ages for a deceased child, 8 years and 6 years.

Either way, a loss of life that young in an incident such as this is just tragic.

RIP
I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem

Bridogger6

Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:02 pm

At least there wasn't a gas station at the end of the runway...

My prayers are with those affected.  Sad

OPNLguy

Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:03 pm

Quoting Zeke (Reply 28):

Male reporter; Long pause, then he explained the difference.

Why is it that that old Don Henley song "Dirty Laundry" just popped into my head..?

Note: To a few of you that have emailed to ask questions, sorry, but I'm not at liberty to discuss the event due to the NTSB protocols involved with the accident investigation process, as well as company policy (and simple common sense)..  

[Edited 2005-12-09 07:04:23]
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

dw9115

Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:15 pm

Quoting RedFlyer (Reply 21):
HP794, an Airbus 320, which had it's nose gear collapse here in PHX after landing and veering off the runway due to, among other things, an inoperable thrust reverser was written off. Now, that aircraft was 12 years old at the time but if I recall, it suffered some pressure hull damage in the forward area which included skin buckling and crush patterns.

I realize these are two different circumstances and the Airbus was an older aircraft (hence, parting it out may have been more lucrative than returning it to service); however, you have to assume this WN airplane suffered much more severe damage since it plowed through a concrete wall and collided with some vehicles. The HP hull write-off resulted from the aircraft simply veering off the runway and having it's nose gear collapse after going into a shallow ditch.

I am also replying to Zeke.

The first thing you have to look at is that the 737-700 Southwest bought was around 49 million depending on what type of deal Southwest got. I am just guessing that is was very favorable considering the amount of Boeing planes they are replacing with the newer 737NG. I know that the company I work for gets considerable mark downs from both Boeing and Airbus and we have never purchased as many planes as Southwest has in the last 5 years or they are going to in the next 8 years or so. Now another thing you have to look at is the fact that the Airbus you were talking was 12 years old at the time and the plane Southwest has is only 1 year and about 3 and a half months old and the type of materials used are different they have different types of repair methods now and how many hours did that Airbus have. Also they could part the plane out and recover almost all of its money but if they say invest half of the 49 million the plan cost (24,500,000) in repairing that plane it could last another 20 years and make them upwards of a billion dollars now that is on the high end of course. But from just what I have seen from what was on TV that plane more then likely will be fixed and returned to the air. Now Southwest may not be the ones fixing it and flying it anymore they may simple sell it to someone else say Saturday as is for most of what they bought it for. Still making it cheaper to buy the plane from Southwest and fix it on their own then buying it them selves. It could easily end up in Africa, poorer regions Asia or Eastern Europe. You would really be surprised by how much cheaper it is to fix something like this then buy a new aircraft and wait for delivery or leasing one for ten years.

[Edited 2005-12-09 07:18:24]

tsaord

my prayers go out to all tonight! it was snowing very bady here. it just started coming down hard. ORD was a complete mess! and im in T5
there are icons, then there are legends, then there is rick flair

N1120A

That looks like significant structural failure. It looks unfortunately like WN will be short 1 73G. Not that it really matters. I am just really happy most of the people survived and just as upset that a child died
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

BA

Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:21 pm

I'm very sad to hear the loss of a young child. My thoughts and prayers are with his loved ones.

CNN Headline News ticker reported that the aircraft's fuselage is bent.

Often times when there is serious structural damage to the fuselage, the aircraft is written off.

I guess it'll become more clear once the investigations are done...
"Generosity is giving more than you can, and pride is taking less than you need." - Khalil Gibran

litz

Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:22 pm

Quoting Syncmaster (Reply 34):
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but last time I knew WN was kind of strapped for planes right now, they are not going to write-off an aircraft unless they absolutely must.

SWA would probably, if they could manage it, take every 737 Boeing could make, as fast as Boeing could make them ...

Not only do they need airplanes, but I imagine they'd like to get rid of anything old (and therefore gas guzzling) they can, as fast as they can ... and to do that, you need fresh metal, in addition to what you need for expanded capacity.

Smile

- litz

babaero

Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:23 pm

think the structural failure your refering to is snow build up. just a smashed nose and collapsed nose gear.

joness0154

Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:24 pm

The empennage is also a little busted
I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem

zeke

Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:29 pm

Quoting OPNLguy (Reply 39):
Why is it that that old Don Henley song "Dirty Laundry" just popped into my head..?

I was not suggesting the landed was too fast, just the female reporter could not associate the term "sound barrier" to an acoustical wall, rather aircraft speed.

Quoting Dw9115 (Reply 40):
You would really be surprised by how much cheaper it is to fix something like this then buy a new aircraft and wait for delivery or leasing one for ten years.

I dont know, when I heard the report they hit a wall, I assumed that the aircraft would buckle in compression along the fuse. I hope your right, hope the damage is not as extensive as it looks, the 737NG is a very safe airframe.
“Don't be a show-off. Never be too proud to turn back. There are old pilots and bold pilots, but no old, bold pilots.” E. Hamilton Lee, 1949

dw9115

Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:33 pm

Quoting Zeke (Reply 47):
I dont know, when I heard the report they hit a wall, I assumed that the aircraft would buckle in compression along the fuse. I hope your right, hope the damage is not as extensive as it looks, the 737NG is a very safe airframe.

You also have to consider TV is always going to make it sound really bad because that equals higher TV ratings and sad as it sounds it is usually true and the fact some person died is just a plus for them.

OPNLguy

Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:36 pm

Quoting Zeke (Reply 47):
I was not suggesting the landed was too fast, just the female reporter could not associate the term "sound barrier" to an acoustical wall, rather aircraft speed.

The reason I mentioned the song was this lyric, since the reporter sounded a little "bubble-headed" to not keep the "sound barrier" in the correct context:

We got the bubble-headed-bleach-blonde who
Comes on at five
She can tell you ’bout the plane crash with a gleam
In her eye
It’s interesting when people die-
Give us dirty laundry
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

United787

Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:42 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 42):
That looks like significant structural failure.

Quoting Babaero (Reply 45):
think the structural failure your refering to is snow build up. just a smashed nose and collapsed nose gear.

That picture looks like significant structural failure to the front portion of the aircraft. Just above the cockpit there are some clear structural lines that are jarred. I predict that this will be written-off.

All my prayers are with the family in that car.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos