BCAL

RE: BA To Drop LHR-SIN-MEL?

Fri Dec 16, 2005 2:30 am

Quoting Richardw (Reply 49):
BA has massive debts

BA's equity/debt ratio is much healthier than many other major airlines

Quoting Richardw (Reply 49):
they can't go shopping for new aircraft

Can't? They could if they wished, but most of their fleet will see them through the next 5 years or so, so why rush in and buy new aircraft and unnecessarily increase debt? Besides, reducing their debt so that the company is healthier and fitter for the future, and the move to T5 at LHR are their immediate priorities. Also, would it not be best to let other airlines have all the teething problems with the new generation A350/A380/B787 etc.
MOL on SRB's latest attack at BA: "It's like a little Chihuahua barking at a dying Labrador. Nobody cares."

trekster

Fri Dec 16, 2005 3:02 am

Quoting Trekster (Reply 16):
I dont see BA canx this route. Its always busy, no matter what time of yea. Was looking at the loads the other day.

We dont do BNE direct,thats a QF codeshare, so if this was canx, we'd only do syd direct on the sunshine coast, doubt they will canx this

Me and my big mouth lol. I got to work and the first thing i saw on the main intranet page was this lol
Where does the time go???

707lvr

Fri Dec 16, 2005 4:16 am

British Airways (I'm guessing this is THE British Airways) abandons London-Melbourne because it can't make money. If this is the case, then there's no way us mortals will ever understand the airline business.

MAS777

Fri Dec 16, 2005 5:35 am

Quoting BCAL (Reply 37):
At the end of the day it is sad that BA will soon only be serving SYD in Australia, bearing in mind that in the 1970s they were serving Sydney, Melbourne, Perth, Brisbane and Darwin. BA has also withdrawn from Malaysia, so their presence in the Far East/Australia is gradually going over to QF. However, nowadays BA must make a profit, so if the LHR-MEL route is not performing as well as they say, then dropping the route is the only option.

BA will lose a lot of regular customers by doing this. see below...

Quoting Monkeyboi (Reply 38):
The loads on LHR/MEL were always fairly good .

But the yield was not.

This was what BA also say happened with KUL but its also interesting that once Malaysian operations were handed over to QF - BA disappeared from the tarmac altogether which pushed diplomatic relations between Malaysia and the UK to an all time low since the Mahathir/Thatcher row of the 80s and Malaysia's then 'Buy British Last' policy.

Anyway - going back to the point - the majority of passengers tend to be rather fickle and most Y passengers only want to get from A->B without bothering too much about whose plane they are on. Premium passengers however do often care about where they are putting their money and with BA leaving the Melbourne route - I guess many would just migrate to other carriers on the route.

Look at LHR-KUL - MAS has mostly been laughing to the bank since 2001 (BA's pullout) as they have been packing in the loads in all 3 cabins and LHR is just about MAS' single most important and profitable longhaul route today.

monkeyboi

Fri Dec 16, 2005 5:58 am

Look at LHR-KUL - MAS has mostly been laughing to the bank since 2001 (BA's pullout) as they have been packing in the loads in all 3 cabins and LHR is just about MAS' single most important and profitable longhaul route today.[/quote]

Hey MAS, you make good points.

I don't think it is so much an issue of whether MEL or KUL are profitable or not, but more, is there another route that could be MORE profitable.

I think every airline has a limited amount of resources: aircraft, staff, money. It has to decide where it wants to concentrate these resources. MEL or KUL might make BA money, but could BA make MORE by placing these aircraft on new routes to India and China?

Quoting Mas777 (Reply 53):
Premium passengers however do often care about where they are putting their money and with BA leaving the Melbourne route - I guess many would just migrate to other carriers on the route.

It is exactly this type of passenger that BA is most interested in and what is severely lacking on the LHR-MEL route. The MEL route is servied with a 'Low J' jumbo with only 38 Business seats which BA has struggled to fill with revenue pax. On the flipside, SYD is served with a jumbo carrying 70 Business seats and good loads.

The fact is, a business class seat from London to Melbourne costs only a little more than London to Singapore, yet occupies a hell of a lot more resources. Yield is low.

englandair

Fri Dec 16, 2005 6:21 am

Any guesses what the aircraft will be used for instead?

More India?

Cheers!

monkeyboi

Fri Dec 16, 2005 6:24 am

I smell the launch of another China route, judging by the BA press release. Going back to KUL has also been a rumour milling its way around the jumbo flight decks and galleys of late as well. As has a direct LHR/EZE. But just the rumour mill.....  Smile

6thfreedom
Topic Author

Fri Dec 16, 2005 7:11 am

Quoting BCAL (Reply 20):
Since when did VS change from HKG-SYD to HKG-MEL?

Oooppsss. typo as I wa sbashing away at the keyboard. VS operates LHR-HKG-SYD of course.

Quoting BCAL (Reply 22):
This is bad news for those wanting to travel between LHR and MEL.

Not really. Their is plenty of london capacity will many carriers.

Quoting QANTAS077 (Reply 24):
he's actually a Perth boy, born and raised...

OK OK.... but he has spent a lot of time in Melbourne, ran Ansett from MEL, and is returning to live in Melbourne.

As a side note.... from past experience I can tell you that the detail of what QF plans to do is not revealed in its media release.

EG. Their is no mention of perth-london cancellations to cater for the increase from 4 to 7pw on mel-hkg-london.

Other changes that may occur..
QF may cancel the existing A330 QF83/88 MEL-HKG-MEL service. Crazy, I know, as the midnight departure ex-MEL arrives HKG 06.10, but yep, it might be done.

The above A330 to de redeployed to SYD, and operate the same time as the current QF29/30 service. ie. SYD-HKG to feed into the new MEL-HKG-LHR.

Perth-SIN double daily to be timed to connect with the new timing of the LHR-SIN that BA will operate.

And the one biggy that everyone has missed is that with the BA suspension, Virgin Atlantic can take up the rights and add 7pw more to Australia. Wonder if it will be Sydney or MEL, given that Virgin Blue has a massive domestic network in MEL, and quite frankly, the single terminal makes connections so much easier than Sydney!

QANTAS077

Fri Dec 16, 2005 7:51 am

Quoting 6thfreedom (Reply 57):
Their is no mention of perth-london cancellations to cater for the increase from 4 to 7pw on mel-hkg-london.

The 3 x a week QF15/16 PER-SIN-LHR-SIN-Per will be dropped effective 25MAR to free up an aircraft to allow daily ops SYD-HKG-LHR-HKG-SYD. probably switch them to Mel-Hkg-Lhr now that Sydney has been dropped. if you check Qantas schedules you'll see it yourself.

6thfreedom
Topic Author

Fri Dec 16, 2005 8:31 am

Quoting QANTAS077 (Reply 58):
The 3 x a week QF15/16 PER-SIN-LHR-SIN-Per will be dropped effective 25MAR to free up an aircraft to allow daily ops SYD-HKG-LHR-HKG-SYD. probably switch them to Mel-Hkg-Lhr now that Sydney has been dropped. if you check Qantas schedules you'll see it yourself.

What I was referring to is that QF does not mention this on its media release.
the 'bad' news is never mentioned....

Elagabal

Fri Dec 16, 2005 8:32 am

Quoting Kiwiandrew (Reply 27):
perhaps a chance for NZ to pick up some premium economy pax prepared to go 'the long way around' in order to get 39' seat pitch

Fond fancy. Just ask SQ or EK...

Quoting 707lvr (Reply 52):
British Airways (I'm guessing this is THE British Airways) abandons London-Melbourne because it can't make money. If this is the case, then there's no way us mortals will ever understand the airline business.

Huh?

MAS777

Fri Dec 16, 2005 9:00 am

Quoting Monkeyboi (Reply 56):
Going back to KUL has also been a rumour milling its way around the jumbo flight decks and galleys of late as well.

yeah - i heard this too from a group of mates who sit up front (upstairs) on the jumbo fleet too but see below...

Quoting 6thfreedom (Reply 57):
And the one biggy that everyone has missed is that with the BA suspension, Virgin Atlantic can take up the rights and add 7pw more to Australia.

this is what happened when BA withdrew from KUL - MAS snapped up BA's rights on the route almost immediately and hence fly 22xweek into the UK today. BA were supposed to have had talks recently with their Malaysian counterparts although no one has heard anything since.

Personally, I think BA pretty much nailed its own coffin in the Malaysian market with its pullout. BA promised the Malaysian market prior to its departure that it will continue to 'serve' Malaysia and most travellers expected a KL-SIN feed but one of BA's flights out of SIN shifted to some ghastly graveyard-hour soon after leaving only one connection with limited seats out of SIN. With little choice but migrate to MAS (some of us were however - pleasantly surprised...), most have since never looked back.

Realising this, BA oddly went to Cathay (note - not QF) to start a link via HKG - which quite frankly remains ridiculous (and with correspondingly exorbitant fares) - BA has probably said goodbye to ever retaining any of its business-end of the Malaysian market.

I have since met many UK business travellers and trade delegations who have found MAS (and I was also interested to find that a lot of my banking chums now travel with KL and LH on business - and often on to NY/Chicago) to provide an excellent service out of LHR and MAN and if BA can't even feed these guys (from their local UK market) via SIN - its gonna be an uphill struggle if it were to ever return to Malaysia.

Besides - Virgin is continuing to use its blocking tactic by exercising its (otherwise unnecessary) code-share with MAS for the moment to utilise all the current traffic rights and slots on the UK-Malaysia routes and MAS is sure hell not going to give up any slots for BA's return...

anyway - my 2cents (or should that be (Malaysian) sen?)

BBADXB

Fri Dec 16, 2005 9:25 am

I guess there couldn't be a better timing for the launch of Emirates' second daily to Perth then!

I see a lot of people switching from the 3 x weekly QF PER-SIN-LHR to the Emirates double daily PER-DXB-Europe.  bigthumbsup 

I still feel it's a pity to see BA dropping MEL.

BBADXB

Fri Dec 16, 2005 9:32 am

... And who knows? Maybe in the process, with Emirates and Melbourne both about to have A380 capabilities, Emirates might snap up some BA customers onto their MEL-UK services via Dubai.

odie

Fri Dec 16, 2005 10:50 am

Quoting Mas777 (Reply 61):
Besides - Virgin is continuing to use its blocking tactic by exercising its (otherwise unnecessary) code-share with MAS for the moment to utilise all the current traffic rights and slots on the UK-Malaysia routes and MAS is sure hell not going to give up any slots for BA's return...

VS has already terminated its code-share agreement with MH last October.

Beno

Fri Dec 16, 2005 11:36 am

Quote:
I think eventually QF may upgrade their Business Class product to match BA's and perhaps introduce a Premium Economy, so the loss of BA will be forgotten.

QFs skybed Biz class product is well ahead of BAs biz class product.

Infact QF have a better First/Biz/Economy product as well as better IFE than BA.

The only thing QF lacks is a economy+ class.

cragley

Fri Dec 16, 2005 11:42 am

OK, Apologies, I sure didn;t see that one coming.

So a pax of mine is paying for her WTP ticket today and she is departing MEL in january and returning in August.

SO I am selling her a product which won;t exist on her return flight!!

And don;t even mention rerouting via SYD!!!

So BA has dropped Melbourne how many times in the past 6 years?

6thfreedom
Topic Author

Fri Dec 16, 2005 12:24 pm

Quoting Cragley (Reply 66):
So BA has dropped Melbourne how many times in the past 6 years?

Just once... 1999.

Flight prior to 99 was daily LHR-BKK-SYD-MEL.
when services resumed, became one stop over SIN.

B747-4U3

Fri Dec 16, 2005 8:22 pm

Quoting Monkeyboi (Reply 56):
I smell the launch of another China route, judging by the BA press release. Going back to KUL has also been a rumour milling its way around the jumbo flight decks and galleys of late as well. As has a direct LHR/EZE. But just the rumour mill.....

I smell another China route too. Apparently the Visa regulations for Chinese visiting the UK are going to be relaxed soon which will mean a huge increase in pax. It would be good to see PVG go daily on a 744, PEK daily on the 772 and then a new 3/4 weekly service to CAN.

I have heard rumours about EZE as well. That would be good in that it would free up more seats for GRU.

monkeyboi

Sat Dec 17, 2005 1:27 am

Quoting Beno (Reply 65):
QFs skybed Biz class product is well ahead of BAs biz class product.

I don't know about that. I prefer a completely flat bed, as per BA, versus the slightly angled 'lie flat style' seat of QF. My friend who is Cabin Crew for QF says they receive a lot of complaints from passengers 'sliding down' the beds.

I think that the cabin lighting, bar area etc looks better on QF than BA though.

As for Economy......Prefer the seats on BA to QF, though QF is streets ahead in terms of IFE (on most aircraft). I like the little 'snack on Q' bags they give out mid flight as well on QF. And I think you still get two full hot meals on most long-haul flights on QF but I could be wrong.

As for First Class....I only wish I could compare!  Smile)

ClassicLover

Sat Dec 17, 2005 1:33 am

Quoting Monkeyboi (Reply 69):
I don't know about that. I prefer a completely flat bed, as per BA, versus the slightly angled 'lie flat style' seat of QF. My friend who is Cabin Crew for QF says they receive a lot of complaints from passengers 'sliding down' the beds.

Well, you can slide down the Skybed if you're well lubricated...  Smile

All you need to do is have the footrest out and you can't really slide down it. I'm trying the BA beds in January, so I'll have a better idea about it then. I have to say, Business on QF is awesome!

Trent.
I do enjoy a spot of flying, especially when it's not in economy!

kiwiandrew

Sat Dec 17, 2005 1:58 am

Quoting ClassicLover (Reply 70):
Well, you can slide down the Skybed if you're well lubricated...

amen to that , I spent most of the flight JNB-SYD on QF last year sliding down the damned thing ( actually , I wasn't even that well lubricated ) - I would like to try a proper flatbed for comparison - sadly , at the moment , I dont think that will be happening for a while .

MAS777

Sat Dec 17, 2005 3:30 am

Quoting Odie (Reply 64):
VS has already terminated its code-share agreement with MH last October.

I thought that VS was still codesharing on the route and the code-share agreement was altered to be reviewed on an annual basis between VS and MH otherwise MAS loses a few slots/rights on the route (which were allocated as VS bought seats on MAS metal). could be wrong however...

vv701

Sat Dec 17, 2005 6:01 am

I need help to understand the BA LHR-SIN-MEL situation. Does BA have fifth freedom rights on the SIN-MEL and MEL-SIN sectors? If not I assume that every passenger who books LHR-SIN and SIN-LHR on the LHR-MEL and MEL-LHR flights results in an empty seat on the SIN-MEL and MEL-SIN sectors.

Similarly do QF have fifth freedom rights on the LHR-SIN and SIN-LHR sectors of their LHR-SIN-MEL service? If not I assume that every passenger booking to fly on the MEL-SIN and SIN-MEL sectors results in an empty seat on the SIN-LHR and LHR-SIN sectors.

Now if all passengers booking LHR-MEL with BA flew on QF metal and there was sufficient demand on the LHR-SIN-LHR route to fill a complete aircraft then the only sensible economic solution for BA would be to abandon the SIN-MEL-SIN sectors. After all revenue generation is the key to profitability and so ther is no profit in a parked aircraft.

Now if additionally the time spent on the ground by the new LHR-SIN-LHR service will be significantly less than time spent on the ground at MEL, then the only surprise is why this arrangement has taken until now to finalise.

monkeyboi

Sat Dec 17, 2005 6:15 am

Quoting VV701 (Reply 73):
Does BA have fifth freedom rights on the SIN-MEL and MEL-SIN sectors?

Hey VV.
BA DOES have fifth freedom rights on SIN-MEL-SIN and SIN-SYD-SIN and BKK-SYD-BKK but i'm not sure if there are any limits set.

I'm not sure on the QF situation. But their UK based website DOES allow you to book a LHR/SIN/LHR journey, so i'd assume they have 5th freedom rights as well.

odie

Sat Dec 17, 2005 6:18 am

Quoting MAS777 (Reply 72):
I thought that VS was still codesharing on the route and the code-share agreement was altered to be reviewed on an annual basis between VS and MH otherwise MAS loses a few slots/rights on the route (which were allocated as VS bought seats on MAS metal). could be wrong however...

The VS/MH code-share was supposed to expire June 2005, but both parties agreed to extend their code-share agreement at least until October 2005 (to coincide with the end of Summer 2005 schedule), and then review it on an annual basis. It seems like VS has terminated its code-share agreement with MH this past October as Kuala Lumpur is not on VS' route map anymore. My guess is UK's CAA granted MH more rights into LHR.

FlyCaledonian

Sat Dec 17, 2005 6:21 am

So hang on here people. BA drop the SIN-MEL leg of the flight, which most people seem to suggest is where BA is struggling with premium passengers, and therefore yield. QF adds MEL-HKG-LHR, at the same time reducing some frequency to SYD. Remember, BA and QF will each offer a daily LHR-SIN-SYD and LHR-BKK-SYD service - 4 FLIGHTS A DAY LON-SYD still. All this is is a reorganisation of capacity. The likes of EK, SQ, MH, CX etc are taking market share, so BA/QF through the JSA are redressing capacity. On the plus side for BA it frees up a 744, as 3 are currently needed to operate LHR-SIN-MEl. Next year BA adds more frequency to DEL, BLR and MAA. Some 763s are moving from shorthaul to release 772s from some routes, while that 744 will be useful to BA too. Yes, a BA direct service to MEL might be nice, but BA has been adding longhaul (India/China new routes, increased frequencies elsewhere) by making better use of aircraft. Make better use of the JSA capacity and BA can use that 744 from the SIN-MEL leg more profitably elsewhere.

On a side note, maybe VS will look at LHR-HKG-MEL, taking up the spare Australian capacity but also allowing additional LHR-HKG capacity - which is why some say loads on LHR-SYD with VS are low because the seats are taken with HKG passengers.
Let's Go British Caledonian!

aussiestu

Sat Dec 17, 2005 6:48 am

What a great shame to see BA withdraw from MEL. Me thinks WW has dropped this due to previous BOSS being at home in MEL??!! Makes it harder for him to use his staff travel to get home??!! While it has never made a loss as such the yield has never been good and if BA can make more money from the aircraft flying to somewhere else (bells ringing China or India) then so be it.

BAs product and connections with QF throughout Oz will make the most hardened BA traveller making connections but their loyalty and high fare paying quality makes it worth while to BA.

Who knows maybe BA will be back if the market and the premium passenger demands returns to more Oz cities. The rest of us live in hope!

AsianFA

Sat Dec 17, 2005 2:51 pm

Since BA is dropping the SIN/MEL sector and only doing a terminating flight to SIN...do u think they will be able to fill up a whole 747 just to SIN?

nickofatlanta

Sat Dec 17, 2005 4:53 pm

Many other European airlines fly to SIN as an end-point - so why can't BA? (LH, LX, KL, AF etc.) Plus BA will still be code-sharing on many QF flights from SIN to BNE/SYD/MEL/PER etc. etc. At worst, I would see it being demoted to a 777.

anstar

Sat Dec 17, 2005 6:04 pm

Quoting Madhatter (Reply 47):
With the news release saying that BA will offer the earliest evening departure to LHR ex SIN does this mean a departure of around 1700 meaning a late evening arrival into LHR or are they completely changing the schedule for BA 17/18 as otherwise surely the aircraft will have a long groundtime at Singapore?

I'd be interested to see what the new flights times are. I believe they get loaded into the GDS next week.

monkeyboi

Tue Dec 20, 2005 9:14 am

Does anyone have the new times yet?

Ive seen there is a new flight, BA012 from SIN/LHR departing @ 22:40L. This must be the replacement for the BA018?

6thfreedom
Topic Author

Tue Dec 20, 2005 9:29 am

Quoting Monkeyboi (Reply 81):
Ive seen there is a new flight, BA012 from SIN/LHR departing @ 22:40L. This must be the replacement for the BA018?

Yep, BA 11/12 will replace 17/18

Early info I have indicates schedule will be something the lines of:

LHR 2115
SIN 1750 +1

SIN 2240
LHR 04.45+1

the timing will improve connectivity to/from PER and BNE i believe:

7:50p SIN 1 12:55a+1 PER 1 QF 78 Non-stop 333 5:05

3:30p PER 1 8:35p SIN 1 QF 71 Non-stop 333 5:05

-----------------------------------------------------

9:10p SIN 1 6:45a+1 BNE I QF 52 Non-stop 333

1:40p BNE I 7:30p SIN 1 QF 51 Non-stop 333 7:50

----------------------------------------------------------

PITrules

Tue Dec 20, 2005 1:20 pm

Is Austrian Airlines the only European airline left in MEL? Kind of surprising BA can't make MEL work out, but Austrian can.
FLYi

Concorde001

Tue Dec 20, 2005 9:24 pm

Quoting PITrules (Reply 83):
Is Austrian Airlines the only European airline left in MEL? Kind of surprising BA can't make MEL work out, but Austrian can

I think BA can make MEL work, but the problem for BA is that it can make better use of the aircraft + staff on another route, i.e. it can make more $$$. BA's wants to open up more routes to China and India, not to mention the US after Open Skies is brought in, but it simply lacks the aircraft! There are probably other reasons for BA withdrawing!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos