Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

scotron11
Topic Author

BA Fires Worker Over Catering Dispute

Fri Dec 16, 2005 12:44 pm

BA has fired an employee for orchestrating a walkout that grounded hundreds of flights in August.

Employee was found guilty of gross misconduct for playing a leading role in the walkout.

A 2nd employee, also found guilty of gross misconduct, was given a written warning and suspended for a month and banned from travel privileges. Disciplinary proceedings continue against a 3rd.

All are shop stewards with the TGWU.

Walkout is estimated to have cost BA £45M ($80M).

The union is lucky it doesn't get sued for the losses!

TinkerBelle

RE: BA Fires Worker Over Catering Dispute

Fri Dec 16, 2005 1:23 pm

All workers who walked out should have been fired in my opinion.
If you are going through hell, keep going.

LTU330

Fri Dec 16, 2005 5:21 pm

TinkerBelle. Why, in your opinion, should all workers who walked out have been fired ? Do you know the full background to this dispute ? Have you ever worked for B.A ? I worked for them for 13 years, and it surprises me that there have not been more walkouts, especially in the area I worked in, maintenance. Yes, it has cost B.A a lot of money, but they will still make a profit, and what's more, if they treated their employees a bit better, they could make even more money.

UAL777UK

Fri Dec 16, 2005 5:25 pm

Quoting TinkerBelle (Reply 1):

Agreed.......It was an illegal strike, simple as that. Irrespective of whether you have issues with the company, you dont just down tools and walk off the premises!

zvezda

Fri Dec 16, 2005 5:38 pm

Quoting TinkerBelle (Reply 1):

Quoting Scotron11 (Thread starter):

The employees who walked out should be both fired and sued for the losses.

ikramerica

Fri Dec 16, 2005 5:41 pm

Quoting UAL777UK (Reply 3):
Agreed.......It was an illegal strike, simple as that. Irrespective of whether you have issues with the company, you dont just down tools and walk off the premises!

Very true. By agreeing to join a union that has a contract with an airline, you have a responsibility to honor your side of it. Illegal strikes are not part of the deal. There are times you are allowed to strike. To do so at any other time, unless it is a matter of safety that would put your life in immediate jeopardy, is to break your contract.

Break your contract, you should be fired.

If you don't want to be bound by the rules of your collective bargaining agreement, how can you expect the airline to be bound by the contract you negotiate?

Should only BA be required to honor a contract but not the employee? Is that the current union mindset?
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

UAL777UK

Fri Dec 16, 2005 5:51 pm

From what i have heard from a number of BA staff I know, BA would love to have sacked all these staff but to a degree they would have ended up shooting themselves in the foot, as of course there would have been vast understaffing issues as a result and operationally they would have been hit even more.

They are slowly weeding out the culprits who I hope are fired. You cannot have wildcat strkes like this and get away with it.

RichardPrice

Fri Dec 16, 2005 6:18 pm

Quoting LTU330 (Reply 2):
TinkerBelle. Why, in your opinion, should all workers who walked out have been fired ? Do you know the full background to this dispute ? Have you ever worked for B.A ? I worked for them for 13 years, and it surprises me that there have not been more walkouts, especially in the area I worked in, maintenance. Yes, it has cost B.A a lot of money, but they will still make a profit, and what's more, if they treated their employees a bit better, they could make even more money.

The strike was illegal and £40million is a hell of a lot of money to recoup before they make a profit. This person deserved the sack.

HS748

Fri Dec 16, 2005 6:40 pm

Not at all. The action was unofficial - by definition it had not been sanctioned by the union, therefore they have no legal liability.

wrighbrothers

Fri Dec 16, 2005 9:29 pm

IMHO, All the staff who went on strike should have their staff travel removed, see how they like that, but it's a privilege, not a right, perhaps that'll teach 'em. They should then have their days off cut down to the bare minimum allowed. Oh, and have to apologize to the rest of the BA staff.
I reckon we should bring back public stonings  Wink

Wrighbrothers
Always stand up for what is right, even if it means standing alone..

UAL777UK

Fri Dec 16, 2005 9:40 pm

Quoting Wrighbrothers (Reply 9):
IMHO, All the staff who went on strike should have their staff travel removed, see how they like that, but it's a privilege, not a right, perhaps that'll teach 'em. They should then have their days off cut down to the bare minimum allowed. Oh, and have to apologize to the rest of the BA staff.
I reckon we should bring back public stonings

I am with you on that one.....mind you stonings is a bit harsh.....perhaps maybe just a public flogging!  Silly

TinkerBelle

Fri Dec 16, 2005 10:31 pm

Like it's been mentioned, the strike was illegal, period. BA had nothing to do with their so-called grievances and they should have taken them up with the employer but punishing BA is way out of line. No I never worked for BA but that has nothing to do with the situation at hand. You probably have friends who walked out during the strike and they're still working for BA so I understand your sticking out for them but c'mon now. Just because I never worked for DL either doesn't mean I should not have an opinion on their situation.
If you are going through hell, keep going.

wrighbrothers

Fri Dec 16, 2005 10:43 pm

Yes, it has cost B.A a lot of money, but they will still make a profit,

Well, they made a profit yes, but £40 million less than it should have been, and of course, the strikers will still expect full pay, money going into their pension, to have their staff travel and everyone to feel sorry for them and sympathize. I don't think so. Not forgetting that BA are still in debt

and what's more, if they treated their employees a bit better, they could make even more money.

Where ever you work in life, you'll think that you are treated bad, it's a fact of life, and perhaps it's people like that make the problems, if the teacher at school gives us homework when he/she isn't supposed to, I'm not happy, but I don't throw all my toys out the pram and strike, if they don't like it, change job.

Wrighbrothers
Always stand up for what is right, even if it means standing alone..

zvezda

Fri Dec 16, 2005 10:48 pm

Quoting HS748 (Reply 8):
The action was unofficial - by definition it had not been sanctioned by the union, therefore they have no legal liability.

Right. The union should not be sued. As I suggested in Reply #4, the employees who struck should be sued.

MattMSP767

Sat Dec 17, 2005 2:14 am

it has cost B.A a lot of money, but they will still make a profit

That's besides the point.

Geo772

Sat Dec 17, 2005 3:13 am

Sacking all those who walked out would have a very negative impact on both BA and its customers.
A way of keeping the workers but still 'punishing' all of them would be to remove staff travel concessions for a substantial amount of time. That way there is a benefit for working for the airline removed but also the holiday plans of those workers gets ruined as well, just like they ruined the plans of so many people.
Flown on A300B4/600,A319/20/21,A332/3,A343,B727,B732/3/4/5/6/7/8,B741/2/4,B752/3,B762/3,B772/3,DC10,L1011-200,VC10,MD80,

BestWestern

Sat Dec 17, 2005 3:38 am

As a part owner of BA (dont yet have a board seat  Smile ) I am happy with the fact that BA have finally done something about these militants.... I do think this will be a watershed in BA... Lets hope the staff get the message. Willie Walsh is a tough operator...
Greetings from Hong Kong.... a subsidiary of China Inc.

vv701

Wed Dec 21, 2005 10:02 am

Quoting HS748 (Reply 8):

Not at all. The action was unofficial - by definition it had not been sanctioned by the union, therefore they have no legal liability.

Hmmm. I have always thought a Union was its membership. The law says exactly what Scroton11 says. Industrial action has to be sanctioned by the union - that is its members - in a properly organised ballot. In this case TGWU shop stewards (who, if Scroton11 is to be taken seriously, cannot for some reason be regarded as being part of the TGWU) who called the strike broke the law. Apparently we are asked to recognise that they have the power to bring their employer to its knees but they have absolutely no responsibility and can flaunt the law at will. As I said, hmmm!

ikramerica

Wed Dec 21, 2005 10:36 am

Quoting VV701 (Reply 17):
Apparently we are asked to recognise that they have the power to bring their employer to its knees but they have absolutely no responsibility and can flaunt the law at will.

Again, it's as I said above. Anyone who supports an illegal strike action is not interested in fairness. Being a union member and supporting an illegal strike is hypocritical, because it says that you don't care what you are bound to but do care to make your employer comply.

Again:

Quoting Ikramerica (Reply 5):
If you don't want to be bound by the rules of your collective bargaining agreement, how can you expect the airline to be bound by the contract you negotiate?

It is honestly as simple as that.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

Trolley Dolley

Wed Dec 21, 2005 5:37 pm

Irrespective of the financial results, the effect of the action on the other BA staff and the reputation of the company has been on going for months. Just think of all the front line staff who had to help in stressful circumstances during and immediately after the strike. What about the cabin crew who've had to put up with the grumblings of the passengers who are given an on board product that is not up to their expectations for many months now? They have damaged moral as much as, if not more than, any issues with management it seems.

Apart from the travel privileges removed, the strikers should also forfeit any profit share programmes.

Anyway, if there is going to be consolidation of staff numbers occuring with the move to Terminal 5, there may still be a chance for BA to offload some of the strikers in the very near future. It would not be a good time to blot your BA work record at the moment...

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos