Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

dw9115
Topic Author

What Is Going On With Pan Am

Fri Dec 16, 2005 4:17 pm

I was in the Orlando/Sanford airport the other day and saw 5 Pan Am 727 (one with the tail mounted engine missing) and ground equipment by what looked to be a Pan Am hanger. I also saw what looked like a United 727 right by them with the logos removed and on the other side of the airport on a ramp I saw another Pan Am 727 and what looked like a another United 727 with logos removed. I remember hearing that Pan Am was cutting back some service but when I went to its web site it had almost nothing it said Orlando/Sanford to San Juan and Aguadilla Puerto Rico. Also Boston/Portsmouth N.H. to Trenton N.J. and Bedford M.A. what's is going on over at Pan Am?

AirScoot

RE: What Is Going On With Pan Am

Fri Dec 16, 2005 11:19 pm

I thought they'd shut down completely. I just took a look at their website and it seems that they've finally updated it. It looks like they're selling seats again but the connection between the northeast and the south has been severed. Looks like they're only doing BQN and SJU from McCoy now... guess that's why they have the aircraft based there.

ssides

Fri Dec 16, 2005 11:21 pm

A shame that such a crappy airline is using the Pan Am brand.
"Lose" is not spelled with two o's!!!!

dtwclipper

Fri Dec 16, 2005 11:26 pm

Quoting Dw9115 (Thread starter):
What Is Going On With Pan Am

Pan Am died in December of 1991. I refuse to recognize that other company that uses the name.

I can just imagine, every time one of their F/A's does a P.A. and welcomes everyone on board their "Pan Am Clipper flight", Juan Trippe starts spinning in his grave. Let the poor man rest in peace already!
Compare New York Air, the Airline that works for your Business

SBN580

Sat Dec 17, 2005 3:04 am

I looked at their route map. You call that Pan Am?!  Confused  thumbsdown  That would be like me re-starting TWA in Kansas City and having routes to St. Louis and Wichita. Wait! What a great idea! Restart TWA in it's real hometown! Ahh, ok, daydream over.
North Central: Good People Made Their Airline Great! FLY MD-90 POWER! Keep 'em Flying DELTA Family!

clippervictor

Sun Dec 25, 2005 1:14 am

Quoting Dtwclipper (Reply 3):
Pan Am died in December of 1991. I refuse to recognize that other company that uses the name.

I can just imagine, every time one of their F/A's does a P.A. and welcomes everyone on board their "Pan Am Clipper flight", Juan Trippe starts spinning in his grave. Let the poor man rest in peace already!

I agree!!! Many others are rolling in their graves as well! A great loss!
If it weren't for the last minute, nothing would get done. George W. Warns

jush

Sun Dec 25, 2005 1:25 am

Quoting Clippervictor (Reply 5):
I agree!!! Many others are rolling in their graves as well! A great loss!

checkmark  It's a shame that this airline is history. But it's better to be history than that your name is "raped" and used by this wannabe rubbish .....
I'm not gonna call it airline. No never!

Regds
jush
There is one problem with airbus. Though their products are engineering marvels they lack passion, completely.

clippervictor

Sun Dec 25, 2005 2:26 am

Quoting Jush (Reply 6):
it's better to be history than that your name is "raped" and used by this wannabe rubbish .....

True! It is rape, and I would never set foot on any of their aircraft!!!! No matter what the circumstances!!!
If it weren't for the last minute, nothing would get done. George W. Warns

AirEMS

Sun Dec 25, 2005 6:51 pm

Although I totally agree that it is a bad bad thing to use a name such as Pan AM for a small airline I must say at least we can see it still take flight... I would love to see a Frontier A/C in the 80's c/s take flight. Just my thought

Fly Safe
-Carl
If Your Dying Were Flying

hiflyer

Mon Dec 26, 2005 4:58 am

First off...I agree Pan Am died year sago.... Secondly..in regards to the UA aircraft...that was a deal made when UA grounded the 727's that this version of Pan Am would take quite a number..half for parts and half to fly...but I believe there were a few restrictions such as could not used them point ot point within the US. The whole deal was geared to a hub in the islands at the time.

September11

Mon Dec 26, 2005 5:25 am

My feeling is that Pan Am is more of a charter airline nowadays. I spotted a Pan Am 727 in PSP last Nov. 26th.
Airliners.net of the Future

DeltaRules

Tue Dec 27, 2005 3:49 am

I'm not really surprised to see them collapsing, although it's a little disappointing. I flew them LCK-SFB-LCK in June & despite being cheap, they did have good service. I figured it would be a "get in, sit down, shut up & hang on" airline, but they're a nice airline. I was surprised & impressed that we got personalized certificates on their inaugural LCK-SFB flight in June. Plus, it was another chance to fly the 727.  Smile

I was in the Orlando/Sanford airport the other day and saw 5 Pan Am 727 (one with the tail mounted engine missing) and ground equipment by what looked to be a Pan Am hanger. I also saw what looked like a United 727 right by them with the logos removed and on the other side of the airport on a ramp I saw another Pan Am 727 and what looked like a another United 727 with logos removed.

The UA livery planes were used for spares. There are a bunch of 727s sitting around in PN's livery though, like you said. A guy I talked to from the airline said they had 20 727s in their fleet, although I only saw three flying when I was at SFB. (N342PA, N348PA, N349PA)

I remember hearing that Pan Am was cutting back some service but when I went to its web site it had almost nothing it said Orlando/Sanford to San Juan and Aguadilla Puerto Rico. Also Boston/Portsmouth N.H. to Trenton N.J. and Bedford M.A.

They started into LCK in June to SFB & PIE, expanded to PSM & another city & pulled out in August. They then said they were going to restart flights in November, but it didn't happen. They were also planning on flights into YNG (Youngstown, OH) & then cancelled them shortly after.

DeltaRules
A310/319/320/321/333, ARJ, BN2, B717/722/73S/733/734/735/73G/738/739/744/757/753/767/763/764/777, CR1/2/7/9, DH6, 328, EM2/ERJ/E70/E75/E90, F28/100, J31, L10/12/15, DC9/D93/D94/D95/M80/M88/M90/D10, SF3, SST

INTENSS

Tue Dec 27, 2005 6:21 pm

They flew a flight into Atlanta today, most likely picking up Vacation Express pax as they flew out of SFB to Puerta Plata later in the evening. Seem to be doing just some ad hoc/charter work for now. The bird into Atlanta was N348PA "Clipper Ed Ball."

-Rich

TWAviator

Tue Dec 27, 2005 8:27 pm

Pan Am died in December of 1991. I refuse to recognize that other company that uses the name

That's it!

Quoting SBN580 (Reply 4):
That would be like me re-starting TWA in Kansas City and having routes to St. Louis and Wichita

I'll go on dreaming with you. Let's open Saarinen's building at JFK, start flying those old TW L10 STL-JFK-STL, back and forth... dream is over (for now).  zzz 

cheers

TWAviator
The most confortable way to fly

norcal

Wed Dec 28, 2005 12:17 am

Pan-Am owes the SFB airport a bunch of money, they won't be getting their planes back until they pay their fines......

grantcv

Wed Dec 28, 2005 12:27 am

I saw the "new" Pan Am rated as one of the top airlines in Conde Nast Traveller magazine a few months back.

INTENSS

Wed Dec 28, 2005 1:52 am

Quoting NorCal (Reply 14):
Pan-Am owes the SFB airport a bunch of money, they won't be getting their planes back until they pay their fines......

Do you have any proof of this or is this your own little pipe dream?

As I stated above, N348PA left SFB yestreday morning (16DEC) and arrived ATL around 1000. It departed an hour or so later for SFB and went on to Puerta Plata. Pan Am had 3 operations through SFB that day.

Their planes are in their own hands and are in use......

-Rich

norcal

Wed Dec 28, 2005 1:55 am

Quoting INTENSS (Reply 16):

hmmm, well last when I talked to Jack Dow who is one of the airport managers he said that Pan Am owes the airport money, but maybe that all got worked out.

srbmod

Wed Dec 28, 2005 10:00 am

Today, I saw firsthand an example of how Guilford Transportation has sullied the Pan Am name. The Pan Am colors are now appearing on rolling stock of Guilford's railroads. I was driving through Winder, Georgia this afternoon and saw one of their Pan Am boxcars in person. Previously, I had only seen photos of some of the cars. Seeing one in person made me sad that such a storied name of air travel is now riding the rails.

Elagabal

Wed Dec 28, 2005 10:21 am

Quoting Clippervictor (Reply 7):
It is rape

Quoting Srbmod (Reply 19):
The Pan Am colors are now appearing on rolling stock of Guilford's railroads. I was driving through Winder, Georgia this afternoon and saw one of their Pan Am boxcars in person. Previously, I had only seen photos of some of the cars. Seeing one in person made me sad that such a storied name of air travel is now riding the rails.

If PanAm had been more careful, they'd've put some sort of non-compete clause on their trademarks, so that they could've rested in peace. As it is, it's a humble reincarnation for a defunct company to sell on its brand - or for a new owner to maintain an older, better one.

It might be sad, but it's not rape - it's prostitution, and perfectly legal too. Credit - and blame - where they're due!  stirthepot 

INTENSS

Wed Dec 28, 2005 12:47 pm

Quoting NorCal (Reply 17):
hmmm, well last when I talked to Jack Dow who is one of the airport managers he said that Pan Am owes the airport money, but maybe that all got worked out.

Owing money and "holding planes" are two completely different things. Mr. Dow is actually the VP of Operations, the #2 man at SFB. For someone who is so tight with his airport, I'm surprised he passed this information along to you.

-Rich

Humberside

Wed Jan 04, 2006 2:54 am

Is ATL a regular destination for Pan Am now? Its on their route map

Also are they still flying Trenton-Bedford?

Thanks
Visit the Air Humberside Website and Forum

uswyjer

Wed Jan 04, 2006 3:14 am

Yeah they still appear to be flying BED-TTN and PSM-TTN, I've seen them scheduled and flying on flightaware.com. Someone a while ago around here said they're doing pretty well on these routes.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos