Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

lordanmol
Topic Author

Working For Airlines

Sun Dec 18, 2005 1:46 am

If one works in an airline, does that person get to travel alot. Also which class if that person gets to travel alot?

Just Curious

Hopefully I havent put this in the wrong thread

Regards
Hmmmmm....

gman3

RE: Working For Airlines

Sun Dec 18, 2005 2:11 am

One benefit is travel privileges. I am an FA but to be honest, the last thing that I want to do on my day off is go to an airport and get on a plane. so i have not taken full advantage of my benefits.

OttoPylit

Sun Dec 18, 2005 2:17 am

There is no other sane reason as to why anyone would work for an airline.  Wink

Almost all airlines allow their employees to fly on a standby, seat available basis known as non-revenue, or better, non-rev. I, for instance, work for Delta. We get to fly for free anywhere DL flies in the world as long as there is an open seat left on it. We can also buy reduced rate standby tickets on other airlines, known as an ID90. For DL, we get seated in the best class of service left. If I am flying and there is a First Class or Business Elite seat open, I get it. If only coach is open, then I get coach. We get unlimited flight benefits for me, spouse, parents, and children under 23. We also get reduced rate buddy pass tickets to give out to family and friends that can't travel on the employee's pass. And its all free....well, it used to be. Starting next month, I have to pay $50 a year to fly. A small price to pay for the joys of flight. Personally, I'm just gonna tack it on to someone flying on my buddy pass(reduced rate) tickets or make sure my parents fly somewhere before I do. Let them take up the slack before I do. LOL  rotfl 

Its a good deal, even I haven't abused mine enough, but I've seen Hawaii, Japan, Korea, and Germany, as well as almost every place around the US that I can think of. And as long as you don't mind living a life based on the market, with the ups and downs that come with it, and no job security whatsoever, with ever dwindling pay and benefits, then its a wonderful career.  Wink

OttoPylit
I don't have a microwave, but I do have a clock that occasionally cooks shit.

N766UA

Sun Dec 18, 2005 3:04 am

Travel bennies... drooool.... I've been to the west coast, Europe, Florida, etc. etc. I just flew to Rome and back in first class.... the other day I flew CLE-CVG-TRI-ATL-CLE just for the hell of it. It's great! You know you're abusing your bennies when you fly to Toledo through CVG rather than drive because it's cheaper. Plus, I've got this scheme that if I actually keep the water bottles I get on the flight and turn them in for the 5 cent refund I'll actually make a profit off of flying. Even Delta can't do that and their the ones with the airplanes!

ZKNEA

Sun Dec 18, 2005 6:37 am

It should also depend on what rank/job you have in the company. For example I know that if you were to work for a certain middle eastern carrier that has just had an A380 flying about in its full c/s, depending on - say for engineering staff - your liscenses held, depends on your rank and which class you can fly on. Then, as mentioned, you can also buy the ID90s on other airlines also (like I flew to Hong Kong a few months back on QF, but then hated it so just changed the airline to CX).

You can also get special rates at partner hotels, car hire etc.

jetdeltamsy

Sun Dec 18, 2005 10:56 am

Quoting Gman3 (Reply 1):
I am an FA but to be honest, the last thing that I want to do on my day off is go to an airport and get on a plane.

I am the same way.

When I was younger, however, I went as far as I could and as often as possible.

Working for an airline does allow you a lifestyle that people outside of the industry can't really appreciate. The world shrinks dramatically when you can get anywhere for only a few dollars. My kids grew up with the world at their fingertips and I think their experiences with other cultures at a young age helped make them sensitive to the differences in people. In fact my son has made it a high priority to either work for an airline or marry someone who does!

But today, the greatest gift of all for me is being at home.
Tired of airline bankruptcies....EA/PA/TW and finally DL.

fxramper

Sun Dec 18, 2005 11:05 am

Working for FX, we get discounts of 80-90% off tickets for all carriers. It's a neat benefit, not to be taken advantage of. It's space available, so you prolly have a better shot at a J or F class seat on long-haul flights versus domestic flights.

Hope this helps!

afrikaskyes

Sun Dec 18, 2005 11:11 am

I've been to Africa 5 times in less than 2 years. One time I went to South Africa for 2 days to watch rugby and then returned for work upon arrival. My wife and I have flown first class to Europe for lunch, shopping, an evening at a 4 star hotel and then back home the following day. The cost? Deeply discounted with airline employee discounts.

The drawback of this lifestyle? Wandering if you'll have a job the next day because of cutbacks. Airlines generally do not value their people, no matter how hard working they are. A sad fact.

AC773

Sun Dec 18, 2005 11:25 am

Quoting FXramper (Reply 6):
Working for FX, we get discounts of 80-90% off tickets for all carriers

This may sound like a stupid question, but do all fedex employees get such a discount or just those involved in the aviation department?
Better to be nouveau than never to have been riche at all.

letsgetwet

Sun Dec 18, 2005 11:26 am

Standby travel buddy passes and family member travel is considered part of an employees wage compensation so the value of the flight is reflected in the
emloyees tax obligation. Also you are held accountable for all airport and security fees. I believe this the case at most US carriers correct me if I'm wrong.

PurdueAv2003

Sun Dec 18, 2005 11:27 am

When you live in a place that experiences cold, dreary weather a good portion of the year, it is great to be able to get away to somewhere warmer, such as LAS or SJU for a weekend. It really can revitalize you before you go back to work on Monday.  Cool
Ptu = Ftu X Anet (not to be confused with a.net)

PHXinterrupted

Sun Dec 18, 2005 11:32 am

Don't be fooled by these short trips, because the sad reality is, these FAs do not get paid enough to afford a stay of more than a day or two.
Keepin' it real.

goaliemn

Sun Dec 18, 2005 11:43 am

Quoting Letsgetwet (Reply 9):
Also you are held accountable for all airport and security fees. I believe this the case at most US carriers correct me if I'm wrong.

This varies from airline to airline, as well as management vs non-management.

Quoting Letsgetwet (Reply 9):
Standby travel buddy passes and family member travel is considered part of an employees wage compensation so the value of the flight is reflected in the
emloyees tax obligation.

Again, this would depend on your agreement. I know some airlines say that pass travel is part of the base salary, so it would already be included in with the base pay, while others they put a value on each trip (usually based by distance) then the value is added for taxation purposes.

malaysia

Sun Dec 18, 2005 12:45 pm

Quoting AC773 (Reply 8):
This may sound like a stupid question, but do all fedex employees get such a discount or just those involved in the aviation department?

Any FedEx job at the airport will give you those benefits, a FedEx flight crew, dispatcher, ramper, but outside the airport, forget it. I believe

Also on the other hand, Foreign carriers usually do not give much flight benefits, such as CI, you would get only one ticket standby for your family once a year, but in return you get a living wage compared to working for an American carrier etc.

What's embarrassing is my friend is a Senior FA at British Airways and he still has to ID90 on his own airline, BA on his vacation for LHR-NRT

while if you worked for an American carrier, you'd be flying free on your own metal anywhere maybe with slight service charges for international unlimited, but never a percentage of a fare or something.

I just dont get it why some foreign airlines dont give airline perks much to employees and especially some dont even allow OAL benefits and its kind of ironic that the US carrier employees with the OAL benefits can freely fly that foreign carrier whereas the foreign carrier employee cannot even get any agreement on the US airline that has the OAL benefit with them.

such as China Airlines ground employees cannot fly DL standby at all and cannot get issued passes to fly DL, while any DL employee from a cleaner to a ramp agent can standby on CI as much as they want with a DL issued ID90 for CI.

[Edited 2005-12-18 04:53:22]
There Are Those Who Believe That There May Yet Be Other Airlines Who Even Now Fight To Survive Beyond The Heavens

aerorobnz

Sun Dec 18, 2005 3:12 pm

Quoting ZKNEA (Reply 4):
It should also depend on what rank/job you have in the company.

It does - The priority code gets higher dependent on the position held. the longer the employee has been there also alters the code.
[
Flown to 147 Airports in 62 Countries on 83 Operators and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.

greasespot

Sun Dec 18, 2005 4:07 pm

Quoting Malaysia (Reply 13):
but in return you get a living wage compared to working for an American carrier etc.

Wow you mean you actually get to work as an airline volunteer instead of getting as well...Cool....  wink 

GS
Sometimes all you can do is look them in the eye and ask " how much did your mom drink when she was pregnant with you?"

HAWK21M

Sun Dec 18, 2005 4:18 pm

Im in Mx.Yes I do get to travel a lot.
Although I rarely do.
I prefer Mx work in a Hangar.
But when you are around Aircraft & Airport noise so much.On a Rare Weekly off I stay as far from the Airport as I can  Smile
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

MX757

Sun Dec 18, 2005 4:27 pm

The real cool part about working in the MX department at CO is that not only do we have travel privileges but when the A/C is full we can fly in the cockpit jumpseat. That extra bonus has saved my bacon on a couple of occasions!  bigthumbsup 
Is it broke...? Yeah I'll fix it.

fxramper

Sun Dec 18, 2005 4:30 pm

Quoting AC773 (Reply 8):

I believe this employee benefit is for FX Express employees associated with air cargo operations...I could be wrong though!  Smile

amhilde

Sun Dec 18, 2005 4:32 pm

Hey Malaysia-

Are there similar benefits for UPS as well? I saw a job posting the other day for UPS positions heaving boxes "including highly sought after airport positions". Are travel perks why these airport jobs are prized?
Hang on tightly, Let go lightly

beertrucker

Sun Dec 18, 2005 5:38 pm

I used to work for Delta. I once took a flight from CMH to ATL just to say hi to my step dad who was flying to ATL for a DR's convention. I flew back after he left the airport. I also took a trip from CMH to DCA to go to the flight museum. Flew back that same night also. The perks can be a lot of fun if you have the energy to do it. And also not having anything keeping you at home either. I hope to work for an airline again soon. Along with owning my own business too. But cause of my store I own. Something tells me I won't be traveling a whole lot. Well take care.
Fly HI

malaysia

Sun Dec 18, 2005 7:53 pm

Quoting Greasespot (Reply 15):
Wow you mean you actually get to work as an airline volunteer instead of getting as well...Cool...

No what I am saying is you get a bigger salary working for a non-US airline which offers worse flight perks. while you dont make much working for the same professional position at a US carrier.

Quoting Amhilde (Reply 19):

Are there similar benefits for UPS as well? I saw a job posting the other day for UPS positions heaving boxes "including highly sought after airport positions". Are travel perks why these airport jobs are prized?

I dont think it would go as far as Flight crew, cause most UPS is always outsourced so I would not have much detail on if UPS Air Cargo employees can get similiar benefit as FedEx,

but as far as I know if you work for DHL anywhere even outside the airport, everyone gets flight benefits, which seems pretty good compared to
other positions at UPS and FedEx
There Are Those Who Believe That There May Yet Be Other Airlines Who Even Now Fight To Survive Beyond The Heavens

manni

Sun Dec 18, 2005 8:10 pm

Quoting Malaysia (Reply 21):
but as far as I know if you work for DHL anywhere even outside the airport, everyone gets flight benefits, which seems pretty good compared to
other positions at UPS and FedEx

No you dont get flight benefits everywhere when you work for DHL. I'm 100% sure that this subject once came up with a friend of mine who works for DHL at their BRU hub. The only benefit he got, is sending ONE free parcel once a year to anywhere he'd like.

If you work for an airline that's a member of IATA, u can more often than not travel on just about any other carrier who's a member of IATA. (Forget about all this when Ryanair is your employer.) These tickets are not free, but are based on a certain percentage of the official price. An ID90, gives you a 90% discount, obviously plus taxes. Tickets are always on standby, and more often than not, only in economy. Some airlines might give a free confirmed ticket once a year.

dj738

Sun Dec 18, 2005 9:45 pm

Quoting AerorobNZ (Reply 14):
Quoting ZKNEA (Reply 4):
It should also depend on what rank/job you have in the company.

It does - The priority code gets higher dependent on the position held. the longer the employee has been there also alters the code.

Quite the contrary with some airlines: all leisure staff travel is standby, and should someone need to be bumped it would be the person who booked that flight LATEST. eg. a cabin crew member may have booked six months ago, and the company CEO only last week - hence should someone need to be offloaded it would be the CEO.

Obviously all airlines run their policies quite differently, this just gives an insight into one way it is done.

Skip17

Mon Dec 19, 2005 12:47 am

Do all of these benefits change on whether or not you are a full time or part time employee?

Cheers.  Smile

RAMPRAT980

Mon Dec 19, 2005 1:15 am

Do we work for an airline(s) because of the Pension, dental, 401k, eyeglass, salaries or just the flight benefits ?
With gun control there can be no democracy.. With gun control there can be no Freedom

fxra

Mon Dec 19, 2005 6:10 am

Quoting RAMPRAT980 (Reply 25):
Do we work for an airline(s) because of the Pension, dental, 401k, eyeglass, salaries or just the flight benefits ?

I'm going to have to go with the flight benefits, the rest aren;t all that great really.

A friend sent this to me the other day, sums it up really..

You might be (or have been) an airline employee if:

1. You sat at the same desk or worked the same flights for 4 years and
had 8 different managers.
2. Your resume is always on a diskette in your pocket.
3. When someone asks you what you do for a living, you lie.
4. You get really excited about a 2% pay increase.
5. You sit in a cubicle smaller than your bedroom closet.
6. Its dark on your drive to and from work.
7. Communication is something your "group" is having problems with.
8. Your salary sucks in the general work field, but "you get to
travel!"
9. Food left over from a flight or meeting is your main staple.
(Assuming you didn't get fired for eating it)
10. All art involves a white board.
11. All the work you were hired to do gets done before 9 am and after
5 pm.
12. You're already late on the assignment you just received.
13. Your boss's favorite lines are:
a. "When you get a few minutes .."
b. "In your spare time .."
c. "I have an opportunity for you .."
14. 50% of the people in your company do not know what you do.
15. The other 50% of the people in your company do not care what you
do.
16. Vacation is something you rollover to next year or a check you
get every January.
17. Change is the norm.
18. Nepotism is encouraged.
19. You pop open a bottle of Champagne to celebrate your return home
from a trip you took on S/A basis because you actually got on the flights.
20. You go to work and you're thrilled that your company is still in
business, you still have a job and you got a check that is worth something at the bank.
21. You watch the evening news every day to find out if your company
is fliing for Chapter 11 or Chapter 7 because, as an employee, you are the last to know.
22. On pay day you run to the bank to check if your pay is in the
bank.
23. A day at work without snow, rain or mechanicals (cancellations or
just because delays) means more to you than pair of Business Class tickets you won at the company Christmas party.
24. It's your fault when the flight is late or cancels, the weather has flights grounded, some jerk's bag is delayed/damaged or his Rolex watch is missing.
25. Every irate passenger expects you to know who they are.
26. You routinely refer to the "good ol' days", without remembering
that they weren't so good back then but now they are.
27. You read this entire list and understand it perfectly.

later
Visualize Whirled Peas

dannypro45

Mon Dec 19, 2005 6:25 am

bigthumbsup   embarrassed  FXRA , your right on my friend..
i dont think there is any thing else you left out there..right on the dot

HAWK21M

Mon Dec 19, 2005 6:13 pm

Quoting Fxra (Reply 26):
You go to work and you're thrilled that your company is still in
business, you still have a job and you got a check that is worth something at the bank.

Fxra.....Nice list.
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

goaliemn

Mon Dec 19, 2005 11:23 pm

Quoting DJ738 (Reply 23):
and should someone need to be bumped it would be the person who booked that flight LATEST. eg. a cabin crew member may have booked six months ago, and the company CEO only last week - hence should someone need to be offloaded it would be the CEO.

I can tell you that would never happen. Its based on passenger priority, then seniority. Most airlines give management a higher priority number than non-management people. Then it would be based on seniority.

The other thing is most airlines won't let you "book" that far in advance. Its "listing" for a flight since a seat isn't "booked" until they call your name at the podium, or just before the flight leaves.

Speedbird2155

Mon Dec 19, 2005 11:38 pm

Quoting Malaysia (Reply 13):
Also on the other hand, Foreign carriers usually do not give much flight benefits, such as CI, you would get only one ticket standby for your family once a year, but in return you get a living wage compared to working for an American carrier etc.

What's embarrassing is my friend is a Senior FA at British Airways and he still has to ID90 on his own airline, BA on his vacation for LHR-NRT

while if you worked for an American carrier, you'd be flying free on your own metal anywhere maybe with slight service charges for international unlimited, but never a percentage of a fare or something.

There is nothing embarrassing about this situation. I work for BA and I'm quite happy with my ID90. I'd rather have to pay a small amount rather than have to worry about the financial state of my company of if it will be in Chapter 11. The ability to fly free means nothing if I have to worry constantly about my job and if the airline will be in business tomorrow.

skidmarks

Mon Dec 19, 2005 11:43 pm

Working for BACX, cheap travel is the ONLY perk available! And, working on the Isle of Man, it is essential!! If I had to pay full fare to get off the rock I would seriously think about moving back to the mainland!

We get all the perks(?) afforded to BA staff, which includes ID90 and ID80 stand-by fares, along with Hotline reduced rate fares - which, since they revamped the booking system, are not much cheaper than normal cheap fares!

But, on the whole, it pays to work for an airline if you want to travel. Just pick the right one!!!!!!

Andy  old 
Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional

malaysia

Wed Dec 21, 2005 9:16 am

Quoting Speedbird2155 (Reply 30):
. I work for BA and I'm quite happy with my ID90

but I have an ID00 agreement with BA and dont even work for them, I think BA is fine in the long run

777boi

Wed Dec 21, 2005 5:02 pm

Would anyone be able to explain why my family only get one ID90 per year with the airline i work for, yet, they can have an unlimited amount of ID90's on any other carrier?

malaysia

Mon Dec 26, 2005 12:08 pm

Quoting 777boi (Reply 33):
Would anyone be able to explain why my family only get one ID90 per year with the airline i work for, yet, they can have an unlimited amount of ID90's on any other carrier?

Yes this is one of the lamest things that your company can do to you, and apparently to get out of it, you have to go OAL. American carriers dont do this, they make the best flight benefits under your own company, than going OAL, but it seems OAL is the way to go with foreign carriers that limit tickets for you, it is due mostly to they need REAL PROFIT, they dont have time to give seats up for such a low price, but honestly I know that an ID90 standby would make profit for an airline than just take off with the empty seat. it seems absurd.

I doubt the meal cost more than the ID90. but Id say more if you do an ID00
which the airline makes no money.

jsposaune

Mon Dec 26, 2005 2:16 pm

An airline job makes for great cocktail party talk....when someone asks you what you have planned for you days off, and you can, with a straight face, say "oh...I think I'll go to the Bahamas...or maybe Vegas...no, make that Europe!!!" Its a bit empowering, no?

Lets see...I've been to SJU for a couple of hours just to buy cheap liquor.
In March, I'm flying around the world on ZED fares, for about $200....just because I can!!

What an industry!
There are no stupid questions....only stupid people!!!

DABTH

Mon Dec 26, 2005 9:42 pm

One question beside:
in what positions are you guys working for your companies.
I am also interested in working for an airline after finishing school and university but I am looking for a higher position then a FA - without saying this is not a great job but I would like to start something in management business or so...do you have some tips?
Thanks for the answers!

rgds david  Wink

snnus

Mon Dec 26, 2005 11:27 pm

If your not in the industy for the Free Flights!! Why the hell would you stay in it...

RAMPRAT980

Tue Dec 27, 2005 12:13 am

Quoting Fxra (Reply 26):
I'm going to have to go with the flight benefits, the rest aren;t all that great really.

Exactly FXRA. If you work on the ramp(as I do) or ticketing then thats exactly why we work for an airline.
With gun control there can be no democracy.. With gun control there can be no Freedom

ChiGB1973

Tue Dec 27, 2005 12:22 am

Living in Chicago, I dated someone in Charlotte. That was the good ole days of ATA flying there. I have so many ticket stubs MDW-CLT-MDW. I essentially commuted in those days. That was a great flight for non-rev. Generally, the most customers was 120-130 except during the race times. Not so good for TZ, but good for me.

Then for vacation last year I did MDW-ATL-PNS drove to BHM then ATL then flew ATL-MDW-LAX-MDW. That was my best vacation ever. Good times! It was great.

Towards the end of my flying, I did get a little tired of traveling when I was off and preferred to stay around Chicago.

M

dj738

Tue Dec 27, 2005 10:23 pm

Quoting Goaliemn (Reply 29):
I can tell you that would never happen. Its based on passenger priority, then seniority. Most airlines give management a higher priority number than non-management people. Then it would be based on seniority.

And I can tell you at MY airline this HAS and DOES happen. Do remember this is personal, non-company related STAFF LEISURE TRAVEL that we are talking about here.

SWISSER

Sun Jan 08, 2006 10:17 am

Quoting Fxra (Reply 26):
You might be (or have been) an airline employee if:

Even working as an airline Catering employee confirms that I have something to do with airlines!
What time is top of descent?

BWIA 772

Tue Jan 10, 2006 2:36 pm

Ok so what benifits middle management receive??
Eagles Soar!

SFOMB67

Tue Jan 10, 2006 3:20 pm

I recently retired after 34 years in acft maint. and I can definitely say that I really enjoyed it. I've worked on 737's to 747's and can think of nothing I'd rather do. But, I also spent about 12 years working m/n shift and a great deal of my career on rotating days off, so scratch off sleeping with your wife at nite and being home on weekends. Also, things have changed a great deal with the airlines since I hired on in '68. Years ago we had good pay, good benefits and a pension coming. That's changed for many airline employees in the US.....pay's been cut, we're paying for medical and pensions are going away.
Not as easy as originally perceived

TimT

Tue Jan 10, 2006 3:21 pm

You all forgot the BEST benefit of all. Trying to commute, being really nice and polite to the gate agents and (if you're lucky enough to get on board) then to the F/A's, who then turn around and totally IGNORE you because they know you're non-rev. In the TWA days, they'd ask what you wanted for a meal, but you knew it didn't matter- whatever you asked for they were out of. And if you just asked for whatever was left, they were out of that too. Then off to a new airline- NWA. Get bumped over 65% of the time. Just because the gate agent didn't want to deal with you.

15 years of commuting with 2 different airlines- I'm done. The company I work for now buys REAL tickets. And I still have not gotten used to being able to go on board when I want to. At least I get treated like a human now.

martin21

Wed Jan 11, 2006 12:29 am

My father works for an airliner. I used to get high discounts till I got 24. But remember one thing you only get discount at the ticket price NOT AT THE TAX. And the taxes are high !! Also you can get an upgrade easier. I flown AMS-EWR in Business because it was my birthday and form SFO to AMS I had the last Business seat.

Martin21
At 30.000 feet, the sun always shines !

RAMPRAT980

Wed Jan 11, 2006 12:37 am

airport taxes in some countries are ridiculously high.

jetdeltamsy

Wed Jan 11, 2006 8:28 am

Quoting Gman3 (Reply 1):
One benefit is travel privileges. I am an FA but to be honest, the last thing that I want to do on my day off is go to an airport and get on a plane. so i have not taken full advantage of my benefits.

Amen, brother.

When i was younger I went as far as possible as often as i could afford.

But today, the greatest gift of all is sleeping in my own bed.

To answer more of your questions, generally speaking travel is in coach. International routes sometimes are available in first class as most carriers don't allow frequent flyer upgrades to first class internationally. But domestically, i nearly always ride in the back.
Tired of airline bankruptcies....EA/PA/TW and finally DL.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos